Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940
Current Page: 40 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 17, 2012 02:41

stonesnow
Rip This
stonesnow
Rip This
quote]

Yup...thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 17, 2012 02:52

Rip This
stonesnow
Rip This
stonesnow
Rip This
quote]

Yup...thanks for clearing that up.

Still haven't gotten over yourself? Well, take a Midol and you'll feel better.

Date: October 17, 2012 06:15

funny...that you still think your not patronizing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-17 06:26 by Rip This.

Date: October 17, 2012 06:46

Rip This
funny...that you still think your not patronizing...

In general, no I'm not, in fact, and I get on well with 95% of posters here--but I delight in a good round of condescension toward posters like you who feel the need to lash out and confront me over something in my post they've taken personally.... when the content of my said post didn't even have anything to do with you to begin with. Got it? You see, I don't lash out at people for what they post, I converse with what they've posted, and I take none of it personally, even when they post withering denouncements on a song or artist I may like, because it's their business to not like it. If I don't like what they've posted, I move on and ignore them.

In your case, sir, I merely retort and rebutt against your pathetic driveling confrontations. I'm not affected by what you think, or by what labels you choose to affix to me. Couldn't care less. But I will respond.... You parry, I parry.... until you finally give up and retreat back into the dingy corner from whence you crawled, like Kafka's cockroach.... so come on back for more, you'll tire of your little game sooner or later.

As for the original topic that led you to initially confront me, the new Stones song Doom and Gloom, I've already forgotten it, it made no impression on me and I can't be bothered to even recall a sonic measure.

Your volley now, sir.... ah hem.... play....

Date: October 17, 2012 13:59

thanks for the gumball.

Date: October 17, 2012 18:21

Rip This
thanks for the gumball.

At least now you can die happy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2012 22:18

Just to clarify, is Doom and Gloom being rereleased tomorrow?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 17, 2012 22:22

treaclefingers

No sir.
Tomorrow we get 'If I Was A Doomer (Doom Pt. 2)'

Can't wait

Date: October 17, 2012 22:54

Anyone for tennis (wouldn't that be nice)?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 18, 2012 07:39

treaclefingers

Maybe.

Depends on what This THURSDAY this Thursday is for YOU.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 18, 2012 17:22

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I've got the youtube Doom And Gloom bookmarked. If I click on it and then go off the page, it counts as a view! Over 2 million now. Who'd've thunk 15 years ago (or maybe less) that views on a video mean it's successful, instead of a actual charting based on sales.

I've listened to it a couple of times. I guess I'm getting used to that stupid zooming bass thing and the silly drums continually beating. LP version is still a GRRRzillion times better.

unbelievable , over 2 million but not expected to enter the top 40 in the uk !
surely worth a top 10 at least .
so no nr 1 since 1969 fot the greatest rock n roll band in the world .

Date: October 18, 2012 17:40

straycatblues73
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I've got the youtube Doom And Gloom bookmarked. If I click on it and then go off the page, it counts as a view! Over 2 million now. Who'd've thunk 15 years ago (or maybe less) that views on a video mean it's successful, instead of a actual charting based on sales.

I've listened to it a couple of times. I guess I'm getting used to that stupid zooming bass thing and the silly drums continually beating. LP version is still a GRRRzillion times better.

unbelievable , over 2 million but not expected to enter the top 40 in the uk !
surely worth a top 10 at least .
so no nr 1 since 1969 fot the greatest rock n roll band in the world .

Views don't generate proof of success though. As I pointed out, you click on it and then whatever, don't like it, need to leave, etc but it still counts as one view.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 18, 2012 20:34

[www.tnr.com]

50 Years On, The Rolling Stones Prove They Can Still Put Out a Decent Song
David Hajdu
October 15, 2012 |

The fact of its existence is marvel enough. Fifty years after the Rolling Stones started playing together, an aged manifestation of the band has released a new single, “Doom and Gloom.” The song is extraordinary for simply being—and all the more extraordinary for being not half-bad. That’s half-better than the majority of the tracks on the Stones’ last two studio albums, the most recent of which, the whimper called A Bigger Bang, was released in 2007. To put this in context: If it were 1962 (the year the Stones started out), and there was a new song by a group from an era fifty years earlier, that group would have come from 1912, the year of such chart-smashers as “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling” and “Waiting for the Robert E. Lee.”

To the ears of young music fans like my nine-year-old son, who’s growing up on Nicki Minaj, “Doom and Gloom” may sound as archaic as those old Victrola ditties sound to me. But in the broad terms that are often all that matter in rock-and-roll, “Doom and Gloom” has the feeling, the pulse and the swagger, of a solid late-period Stones rocker. Keith Richards slashes a Keefish riff, a variation on the chorus to Deep Purple’s “Woman from Tokyo,” over an impeccable and deceptively simple-sounding groove by Charlie Watts. The band sounds like the Rolling Stones, and at their age, that’s an accomplishment.

"Doom and Gloom," written primarily by Mick Jagger, is one of two new songs recorded by the Stones this year for inclusion in a fifty-year retrospective collection due out just in time for holiday gift sales. The second track, “One Last Shot,” which has not yet been released (or even leaked, as far as I know), was written primarily by Keith Richards. "Doom and Gloom" is made mostly from one chord, and the tune of the verses is essentially one note—not that that’s a failing, in itself. Plenty of other Stones songs exploit the possibilities of a single note (or near-note). So do a thousand punk and hip-hop songs; so did Louis Armstrong in his solo on the seminal recording of “West End Blues”; so did Cole Porter in the verse to “Night and Day”; so did Harold Arlen in the refrain to “Come Rain or Come Shine”; and so has Bob Dylan in dozens and dozens of songs since “Subterranean Homesick Blues.” Jagger, like both Armstrong and Dylan, is an interpretive artist with the skill and audacity it takes to extract a scale’s worth of colors in just one note.

With “Doom and Gloom,” though, the fuel of Jagger’s audacity—his ego—is burning too hot, as it can do when Richards doesn’t cool it down with spit. The lyrics are not much more than a soup of images and references intended to sound funky, sort of American, and smart: a Louisiana swamp, zombies, fracking, and a costly overseas war. Jagger, whose voice is much too high in the mix, overwhelming the band, groans about “feeling kind of hurt” by all the doom and gloom, as he puts “feet up on the couch” and locks the doors. Somehow, this leads him to the single lamest chorus ever written by a great songwriter: “Baby, take a chance/baby, won’t you dance with me?” Jagger comes across as detached and kind of desperate—a victim not of zombies or war but of the insatiable ego that, according to Keith Richards’s memoir, may be Jagger’s greatest endowment.

"Doom And Gloom" 10-inch record for $30
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 19, 2023 01:17

I just found a reasonably priced copy of this 10-inch record for $30!!!! The price of it has gone thru the roof for some reason, so I am ecstatic, and I can't wait to finally add this missing piece to my collection!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-20 08:46 by bv.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 19, 2023 03:30

VoodooLounge13
I just found a reasonably priced copy of this 10-inch record for $30!!!! The price of it has gone thru the roof for some reason, so I am ecstatic, and I can't wait to finally add this missing piece to my collection!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!

hope yours is in better shape then the one i got new when it came out

mine was full of some kind of plastic shavings/dust that refuses to be entirely cleaned out

i mean it still plays and all its just disappointing for a record to be like that brand new

Date: September 19, 2023 04:21

Oh man. That doesn't sound good at all, Professor!!! I wasn't planning on opening it, so I won't know the condition. I have both of the Igloo coolers, and I'm going to keep my 45's in the smaller one, and the 10-inchers in the larger one!! Think that's a great use of them!!!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 19, 2023 08:17

I didn’t know these were worth a few quid, this is the one sided 10” ? I think I kept the shrink wrap on mine but I did play it, I’ll have to dig it out and check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-19 08:18 by Paddy.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2023 12:13

VoodooLounge13

What prices had you been seeing ? Still have the copy I bought at Amoeba in 2013 shrink-wrapped.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 19, 2023 15:25

gotdablouse
VoodooLounge13

What prices had you been seeing ? Still have the copy I bought at Amoeba in 2013 shrink-wrapped.

Up until about 12-18 months ago, I could have found a copy for $30 or less, and so I didn't think much about adding it, since it seemed pretty easily obtainable. But then it just jumped for some reason, and I couldn't locate one for under $50!!!! I wasn't about to pay that much for a single song on 1-sided 10-inch record, so I just went along with the hole in my collection.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: September 19, 2023 16:06

Quite a few for sale on Discogs, much cheaper - [www.discogs.com]

Date: September 19, 2023 16:11

Yeah, but SS copies are more than the $30 I paid, so I'm pleased with my find.

Date: September 19, 2023 16:11

I always forget about Discogs as a source to buy music.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: September 19, 2023 19:07

Discogs is good for checking prices of older/2nd hand stuff - you can see lowest and highest prices actually paid, and the descriptions for condition are usually accurate, much better than ebay for example.

Date: September 19, 2023 20:10

Yes indeed, but I forgot one can actually purchase thru Discogs too!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 20, 2023 12:57

It's crazy how prices vary, I remember the OOT numbered and deleted CD Single being heralded as one of the most expensive Stones items in a "Record Collector" issue dedicated to Stones collectibles around 1997 (700£ comes to mind) and now you can get it for 26€ !
[www.discogs.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940
Current Page: 40 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home