Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:00

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Wow, the iTunes version is a shitload better. Holy shit. That sounds more like the Stones than whatever that is on the youtube vide.

What the hell is with the youtube mix? That's not the Stones, it's Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and a computer making 'drum' noises.

yep, blues rock purists and superheavy fans agree, the youtube lyrics version
is ridiculous. and its not just the guitars and drums, the bass on the album
itunes version is quite wymanesque. that's daryl? amazing if it is. i would've
guessed don was channeling wyman.

forget the youtube lyrics music. its a joke, a parody. somebody re-up the very
nice lyrics video with the stones/itunes version of the song, which rocks
pretty damn hard. and thoroughly restores hope for the music on any upcoming tour.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:06

The tune is ok. I saw one review that said it was like the Exile days but that's quite a stretch.

I can even deal with Jagger's overarticulation - not too bad, though of course still prominent.

What I CANNOT deal with is the Drums. I can't believe that's Charlie. It sounds nothing - NOTHING - like him. The rhythm, the fills, the style (e.g., no holding back on the hi-hat on the 2 and 4 beats) are just not Charlie. I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS IS CHARLIE. I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE PRESS RELEASE SAYS.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:07

The YouTube version has a longer intro...
Jagger comes in sooner on the iTunes version

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:07

Munichhilton
What's positive about Doom? Gloom?

The drums going boom. Amazing song! Exciting!

Who produced this, Jack White? [mea culpa, I haven't read the previous 23 pages] Man, I hope not. I was super jealous when he was producing Loretta Lynn and hanging out with Jimmy Page, this is just gonna make it so much worse.

Date: October 11, 2012 20:08

Claire_M
Munichhilton
What's positive about Doom? Gloom?

The drums going boom. Amazing song! Exciting!

Who produced this, Jack White? [mea culpa, I haven't read the previous 23 pages] Man, I hope not. I was super jealous when he was producing Loretta Lynn and hanging out with Jimmy Page, this is just gonna make it so much worse.

Its quite nice, but I think it Was Don.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:10

MrMonte
The tune is ok. I saw one review that said it was like the Exile days but that's quite a stretch.

I can even deal with Jagger's overarticulation - not too bad, though of course still prominent.

What I CANNOT deal with is the Drums. I can't believe that's Charlie. It sounds nothing - NOTHING - like him. The rhythm, the fills, the style (e.g., no holding back on the hi-hat on the 2 and 4 beats) are just not Charlie. I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS IS CHARLIE. I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE PRESS RELEASE SAYS.

You are listening to the wrong version

C

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:11

haha Kent. Hopefully the new songs and shows brings ya back on the board more regularly!

Date: October 11, 2012 20:12

liddas
MrMonte

You are listening to the wrong version

C

AMEN!

Date: October 11, 2012 20:16

MrMonte, the iTunes version is The Rolling Stones. Charlie is Charlie on the iTunes version.

The youtube version is not...the Stones.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:17

Love the youtube version,those drums, can't stop playing it. This has made my day....week....year! What a brilliant rocker!!

Date: October 11, 2012 20:17

Mick Taylor is wrestling the guitar from Ron on the iTunes version as well.
Hilarious

Date: October 11, 2012 20:20

the youtube version is RESIGNED.

the itunes version is DEFIANT.

the rolling stones are DEFIANT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 20:21 by superrevvy.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:24

could someone post the ITunes version then please.
i dont have itunes
the youtube version is mediocre
jeroen

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:29

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
MrMonte, the iTunes version is The Rolling Stones. Charlie is Charlie on the iTunes version.

The youtube version is not...the Stones.

Then how in hell do I get to hear the Itunes version? I don't use I-Tunes. The more I listen to the Youtube one the more I despise it, but I am willing to hear the alternate version that everyone commends.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:30

I find this song dull. no counterpoint just nothing appealing to me...if you enjoy it go for it but that ain't for me...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:43

This also gets a sticky, but not Charlie is my Darling!? eye popping smiley

Further crimes against stoned humanity. thumbs down

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:51

Great rocker and best track since...Start Me Up winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:54

Honestman

and you call yourself honest, man....

Date: October 11, 2012 20:57

Yes, can somebody please upload the itunes/album version on Youtube or elsewhere to stream? I don't use itunes (I gues you need a credit card for paying anyway, I don't own such a thing). And I don't want to download it illegally, just stream it on Youtube or Grooveshark or wherever. Then I'll maybe buy it from amazon later, when they will sell it. This radio mix doesn't convince me fully, though it's not bad and could be much worse (I like the refrain and middle part, Mick's singing and the stretched words, a good recent vocal effort. But these guitars and drums sound like they aren't the Stones, it sounds like a Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Band, a music style I mostly don't like, as it often lacks interesting details. So I would be interested in the other version. Please! I think the radio version could become a hit, though.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 11, 2012 20:59

StonesTod
Honestman

Hey Stonestod, first my knick came from the best outtake of the Voodoo Box and last what does this mean ??? Get Off of my cloud !

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 21:01 by Honestman.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:00

LINK REMOVED by ET

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 01:22 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 11, 2012 21:01

Honestman
StonesTod
Honestman

Hey Stonestod, first my knick came from the best outtake of the Voodoo Box and last what does this mean ??? Have I traded somethin' with ya for which you are not satisfied No so Get Off of my cloud !

i didn't realize it was your cloud...looked like someone else's....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:02

vudicus

Was Charlie not available that week?
Are we not able to record one complete take of a song these days?
I'm running out of reasons to tell myself these guys shouldn't hang it up.
I never wanted to be one of those people. These guys are my heroes.

Please don't try and convince me this recording technique is an artistic one.
It's really not.

Quite right. My first reaction was "what's with the mixing here? Then it was "that is NOT Charlie Watts", then it was "I guess Keith is only doing his typical open-g 1-4 two-string variation riffy thing that he's done 1,000,000 times already... and nothing else., then it was "sounds like they've got an army of backup people spliced in there, not properly, but in a smoke-and mirrors version", then it was "Mick... those lyrics... really??? You've done better in recent years, why go back to sterile, meaningless, jot random phrases that rhyme together Bigger Bang lyrical style".

I ran out of reasons to consider this band a band at all a couple of years ago when Keith put out "Life". This disposable song which they could have written in a hour is what we get after seven years - the longest we've had to wait for %100 new material? I'm gonna throw on the Exile outakes and pretend I didn't hear this trainwreck.

DiscoVolante
So it took them 7 years to release Rough Justice Pt.2?
The song ain't bad but I've heard it before.

Yup, I think Mick is using 3, maybe 4 notes in total the whole way through, 3rd from the rootnote, just like Rough Justice, with compltely forgettable lyrics, like A Bigger Bang. I actually had a wee glimmer of hope this time, since it was 7 years. Nope, more useless ABB snorefest.

KRiffhard
I'm really happy to hear a new Stones tune smileys with beer ...but it seems a Mick's solo song and a 'Goddes in the doorway' outtake sad smiley

Worse, at least with Mick's stuff you get variation and an attempt for freshness. I found Godess to be more artistically genuine than the knee-jerk Bigger Bang. This sounds like a re-patched outtake from those weak sessions (second only to Dirty Work for sheer lame-ness).

Redhotcarpet
Yeah well ok time to quit then. This is pure crap. Sorry but it is. Maybe they have more new songs, I hope so because this is just pointless. Sounds like some early 90s local retro wanna-be band with a catchy but empty vowel refrain. Doom and Gloom? eye rolling smiley

It doesn't even sound like they're trying, hell, it doesn't even seem like any of them were involved AT ALL in this track. I bet that this is material from 2005 thown into a "track" with other people filling in the blanks. Keith's "contribution" sounds mixed in from another song, it BARELY fits into what Mick "or whoever" is playing. PS, again, that's not #$%&ing Charlie.

stonesnow
Well, gave it 3 listens, enough to know that I never want to hear it again.... But everyone here, except 5% of us dissenters, seem to to have their heads in the clouds about it like it's the greatest thing they've ever or could've done.Best since 1969? It's 1972 again? If you like overproduced Jagger solo filler-type Fauxlling Stones, I suppose it can be whatever year you wish for.... but let's see what people think next year, when the sudden euphoric high over new product and activity has subsided...

Yes, you have a point for sure. The high of the excitement of a new track. Thing is, a lot of poeple here are past their age of musical adventure don't listen to much stuff released since 1990 or so (unless released by an aged artists who peaked in the 60s or 70s). Every month there's AMAZING music released by actual ARTISTS which goes ignored by these types (not that they matter to current artists); then, The DEMIGODS OF ALL MUSIC release this... songs, and they're perfectly happy with it. That's fine, I almost envy the naiveity of a 'fanboy'and/or their lack of muscial sense to realize that this new song very much sucks.

otonneau
Bah. Two listens, that will do. Totally uninteresting. Indeed they could pay any session musicians to record a song "in the style of" and it would result in that. Empty shell.

The fact that they seems to have cobbled this mess together for what SHOULD be a simple, damn 4/4 song speaks volumes enough. No tour announcement? Gee, wonder why. The Rolling Stones are finished.

gotdablouse
So they picked this over Keith's "One More Shot" to the single...that can't be a very good sign for that other song !

No, it can't. And just think about this... seven years. SEVEN YEARS and this is what we get. I'm fighting back, and lost, the urge to say "told ya".

Koen
Keith sounds ready for a tour! smoking smiley

He sure was when he recorded his parts. Bigger Bang was a long tour, after all.

DandelionPowderman
Sometimes it's good just enjoying some new classic rock'n'roll.

This is one of those times smileys with beer

We don't need to be overwhelmed or mesmerized by the Stones - good music cuts it for me.

There's a TON of "good" music out there. I'm glad it works for you. As for me, I choose to listen to "great" or "excellent" music. Only so many hours in a day, why settle for mediocre? It seems that 95% of you do. That's fine, not for me though.

ROPENI
thumbs down If this is the best they could come up with after 7 years,there is not much hope,just an ok song,the type that Mick can come up with his eyes closed,very average and it will be forgetten in a couple of days,but for those here that are goin gaga over it,great for you..winking smiley

I don't even think there's hope for a live performance after hearing this.

Virtual_Nobody
OK guys

Listened to this song for 10+ times
It still does not give me goosebumps, like Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women gave me when I first heard them.
The spark is not there anymore.

I will pass on this and the Doom & Gloom tour

The good thing is, there's plenty of GOOD music still being produced, out of this apparenly muscially isolated bubble of fanboys who think this is worth a damn thing.

ohotos
Not a masterpiece but D&G is so much better than most of the "Gaga" stuff being played on the radio nowadays!

I'm sorry that apparently where you live you have only one radio station that plays one artist, and that you've chosen it to be your only input of new music.

nankered
lol at all the people hating on this track

your loss
it fooking rocks
it's as simple as that

here is a fact
it's almost 2013
these guys are in their 70's
you should be thankful and "HAPPY" that they are doing anything at all
you will never get a recreation of the golden years 67-73-it;s just not gonna happen.
so either enjoy what you've got or continue to be a mope!

... or stick true to your gut, ignore this crap song, and listen to BETTER music released from ARTISTS instead oc McRock'n'roll.
I should be thankful and happy for this? Please don't take this personally, but it's lucky for the Stones, easy-to-please fanboys like you exi$t.

rbarnes00
I like it, but it's almost as if I like anything they release nowadays!

Yeah, my niece is like that with Disney Princesses. Branding is a powerful thing. Guess for you the Stones' PR folks are doing their job.

Long John Stoner
He's not singing here, he's yelling. It sounds like he's trying to yell away the years. It doesn't work.

He's not 'singing' because this is not a 'song'. There's no hooks, no melody. It's weak songwriting by someone who sounds like they were wishing not to even bother with it, were in not for a hopeful ca$h-in.

punkfloyd
THIS IS GOOD.

NO IT'S NOT.

I've listened to both versions, and there's questionable mixing and production. The pop version does not sound like a band at all, the itunes version is even less interesting. But no studio trickery can hide the fact that it's a very poorly written "song" (if you want to call it that).

71Tele
Um, you are missing the ingredient that made the wobble-less songs you mentioned palatable (and wonderful): Quality songwriting.

smileys with beer

Spot on.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 11, 2012 21:04

Erik_Snow
StrawberriesBlueberries
Yes, can somebody please upload the itunes/album version on Youtube or elsewhere to stream?

Here it is

Mathijs
Itunes version:

[wtrns.fr]

Mathijs

But this site wants me to DOWNLOAD the thing, I don't want to download, but just stream it. Call me silly, but I have this ugly idea of getting sued for illegal downloads and prefer streaming.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:09

StrawberriesBlueberries
Erik_Snow
StrawberriesBlueberries
Yes, can somebody please upload the itunes/album version on Youtube or elsewhere to stream?

Here it is

Mathijs
Itunes version:

[wtrns.fr]

Mathijs

But this site wants me to DOWNLOAD the thing, I don't want to download, but just stream it. Call me silly, but I have this ugly idea of getting sued for illegal downloads and prefer streaming.

Aha, sorry, I read your post in a hurry, should have seen you didn't want to download....silly

Date: October 11, 2012 21:12

jamesfdouglas
vudicus

Was Charlie not available that week?
Are we not able to record one complete take of a song these days?
I'm running out of reasons to tell myself these guys shouldn't hang it up.
I never wanted to be one of those people. These guys are my heroes.

Please don't try and convince me this recording technique is an artistic one.
It's really not.

Quite right. My first reaction was "what's with the mixing here? Then it was "that is NOT Charlie Watts", then it was "I guess Keith is only doing his typical open-g 1-4 two-string variation riffy thing that he's done 1,000,000 times already... and nothing else., then it was "sounds like they've got an army of backup people spliced in there, not properly, but in a smoke-and mirrors version", then it was "Mick... those lyrics... really??? You've done better in recent years, why go back to sterile, meaningless, jot random phrases that rhyme together Bigger Bang lyrical style".

I ran out of reasons to consider this band a band at all a couple of years ago when Keith put out "Life". This disposable song which they could have written in a hour is what we get after seven years - the longest we've had to wait for %100 new material? I'm gonna throw on the Exile outakes and pretend I didn't hear this trainwreck.

DiscoVolante
So it took them 7 years to release Rough Justice Pt.2?
The song ain't bad but I've heard it before.

Yup, I think Mick is using 3, maybe 4 notes in total the whole way through, 3rd from the rootnote, just like Rough Justice, with compltely forgettable lyrics, like A Bigger Bang. I actually had a wee glimmer of hope this time, since it was 7 years. Nope, more useless ABB snorefest.

KRiffhard
I'm really happy to hear a new Stones tune smileys with beer ...but it seems a Mick's solo song and a 'Goddes in the doorway' outtake sad smiley

Worse, at least with Mick's stuff you get variation and an attempt for freshness. I found Godess to be more artistically genuine than the knee-jerk Bigger Bang. This sounds like a re-patched outtake from those weak sessions (second only to Dirty Work for sheer lame-ness).

Redhotcarpet
Yeah well ok time to quit then. This is pure crap. Sorry but it is. Maybe they have more new songs, I hope so because this is just pointless. Sounds like some early 90s local retro wanna-be band with a catchy but empty vowel refrain. Doom and Gloom? eye rolling smiley

It doesn't even sound like they're trying, hell, it doesn't even seem like any of them were involved AT ALL in this track. I bet that this is material from 2005 thown into a "track" with other people filling in the blanks. Keith's "contribution" sounds mixed in from another song, it BARELY fits into what Mick "or whoever" is playing. PS, again, that's not #$%&ing Charlie.

stonesnow
Well, gave it 3 listens, enough to know that I never want to hear it again.... But everyone here, except 5% of us dissenters, seem to to have their heads in the clouds about it like it's the greatest thing they've ever or could've done.Best since 1969? It's 1972 again? If you like overproduced Jagger solo filler-type Fauxlling Stones, I suppose it can be whatever year you wish for.... but let's see what people think next year, when the sudden euphoric high over new product and activity has subsided...

Yes, you have a point for sure. The high of the excitement of a new track. Thing is, a lot of poeple here are past their age of musical adventure don't listen to much stuff released since 1990 or so (unless released by an aged artists who peaked in the 60s or 70s). Every month there's AMAZING music released by actual ARTISTS which goes ignored by these types (not that they matter to current artists); then, The DEMIGODS OF ALL MUSIC release this... songs, and they're perfectly happy with it. That's fine, I almost envy the naiveity of a 'fanboy'and/or their lack of muscial sense to realize that this new song very much sucks.

otonneau
Bah. Two listens, that will do. Totally uninteresting. Indeed they could pay any session musicians to record a song "in the style of" and it would result in that. Empty shell.

The fact that they seems to have cobbled this mess together for what SHOULD be a simple, damn 4/4 song speaks volumes enough. No tour announcement? Gee, wonder why. The Rolling Stones are finished.

gotdablouse
So they picked this over Keith's "One More Shot" to the single...that can't be a very good sign for that other song !

No, it can't. And just think about this... seven years. SEVEN YEARS and this is what we get. I'm fighting back, and lost, the urge to say "told ya".

Koen
Keith sounds ready for a tour! smoking smiley

He sure was when he recorded his parts. Bigger Bang was a long tour, after all.

DandelionPowderman
Sometimes it's good just enjoying some new classic rock'n'roll.

This is one of those times smileys with beer

We don't need to be overwhelmed or mesmerized by the Stones - good music cuts it for me.

There's a TON of "good" music out there. I'm glad it works for you. As for me, I choose to listen to "great" or "excellent" music. Only so many hours in a day, why settle for mediocre? It seems that 95% of you do. That's fine, not for me though.

ROPENI
thumbs down If this is the best they could come up with after 7 years,there is not much hope,just an ok song,the type that Mick can come up with his eyes closed,very average and it will be forgetten in a couple of days,but for those here that are goin gaga over it,great for you..winking smiley

I don't even think there's hope for a live performance after hearing this.

Virtual_Nobody
OK guys

Listened to this song for 10+ times
It still does not give me goosebumps, like Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women gave me when I first heard them.
The spark is not there anymore.

I will pass on this and the Doom & Gloom tour

The good thing is, there's plenty of GOOD music still being produced, out of this apparenly muscially isolated bubble of fanboys who think this is worth a damn thing.

ohotos
Not a masterpiece but D&G is so much better than most of the "Gaga" stuff being played on the radio nowadays!

I'm sorry that apparently where you live you have only one radio station that plays one artist, and that you've chosen it to be your only input of new music.

nankered
lol at all the people hating on this track

your loss
it fooking rocks
it's as simple as that

here is a fact
it's almost 2013
these guys are in their 70's
you should be thankful and "HAPPY" that they are doing anything at all
you will never get a recreation of the golden years 67-73-it;s just not gonna happen.
so either enjoy what you've got or continue to be a mope!

... or stick true to your gut, ignore this crap song, and listen to BETTER music released from ARTISTS instead oc McRock'n'roll.
I should be thankful and happy for this? Please don't take this personally, but it's lucky for the Stones, easy-to-please fanboys like you exi$t.

rbarnes00
I like it, but it's almost as if I like anything they release nowadays!

Yeah, my niece is like that with Disney Princesses. Branding is a powerful thing. Guess for you the Stones' PR folks are doing their job.

Long John Stoner
He's not singing here, he's yelling. It sounds like he's trying to yell away the years. It doesn't work.

He's not 'singing' because this is not a 'song'. There's no hooks, no melody. It's weak songwriting by someone who sounds like they were wishing not to even bother with it, were in not for a hopeful ca$h-in.

punkfloyd
THIS IS GOOD.

NO IT'S NOT.

I've listened to both versions, and there's questionable mixing and production. The pop version does not sound like a band at all, the itunes version is even less interesting. But no studio trickery can hide the fact that it's a very poorly written "song" (if you want to call it that).

71Tele
Um, you are missing the ingredient that made the wobble-less songs you mentioned palatable (and wonderful): Quality songwriting.

smileys with beer

Spot on.

jimmy likes it, everyone!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:13

Myself I have only had a chance to hear the You Tube version so far. Not bad, though I also get the "Jagger solo/riff sounds like ZZ Top" comments I am seeing. I surprisingly liked the lyrics for it being latter-day Jagger. And his voice still sounds great.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:13

man, i like that monkey.

Date: October 11, 2012 21:15

theimposter
Myself I have only had a chance to hear the You Tube version so far. Not bad, though I also get the "Jagger solo/riff sounds like ZZ Top" comments I am seeing. I surprisingly liked the lyrics for it being latter-day Jagger. And his voice still sounds great.

besides yourself, have others of you had a chance yet?

Date: October 11, 2012 21:18

at least there is promise in 48 songs on the upcoming brilliant new record we can look forward to, right?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home