Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why didn't Taylor play at the Astoria gig?
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 19, 2012 08:57

I've asked this before but never got a straight answer. Taylor was supposedly spotted hanging w/the Stones at the Landmark that afternoon. Word in the queue was that he was going to join the band. "Rock Me Baby" was written on Charlie's setlist but when they got to that point in the concert, there was some confusion on stage and Keith started playing HTW instead.

Did he get cold feet? Taylor was there - I saw him exiting from the VIP balcony section.

Re: Why didn't Taylor play at the Astoria gig?
Date: September 19, 2012 08:59

Wasn't it due to Mick J's throat problems, or something?

Date: September 19, 2012 09:01

Why would Jagger's throat problem prevent Taylor from playing on "Rock Me Baby"? Jagger sang "Worried About You" that night!

Date: September 19, 2012 09:17

He decided to shorten the setlist, but I dunno. I think Mathijs was there, and he knows more about this.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 19, 2012 11:12

Date: September 19, 2012 11:43

Thanks for that but MT stayed for the whole show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2012 11:44

"most of Jagger's parts where taken over by the backup singers"

Thats simply untrue. Either that or Bernard, Lisa and Blondie are the best Mick Jagger impersonators in the universe, and clearly had me fooled even though I was standing just a few feet away.

Date: September 19, 2012 11:46

Gazza

Thats simply untrue. Either that or Bernard, Lisa and Blondie are the best Mick Jagger impersonators in the universe, and clearly had me fooled even though I was standing just a few feet away.

Yes, that is nonsense, good grief.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 19, 2012 12:02

Gazza

From where I was standing it was clear that at around 'I Can't Turn You Loose' Jagger was starting to have real voice problems, hinting to the backup singers they had to take over certain parts. The last three songs, starting with TD, Jagger was mainly dancing and working the crowd, letting the BU singers do much of the work.

I later asked Taylor whether he really was scheduled to play. He confirmed, and confirmed that it was cancelled by Jagger due to voice problems, and that Jagger didn't want to do a song where the BU singers could not help him out.

Mathijs

Posted by: Barnestormer ()
Date: September 19, 2012 12:24

I remember reading somewhere back then that Mick T. didn't arrive for the soundcheck in time,so Jagger cancelled his spot.

Date: September 19, 2012 12:44

Mathijs
Gazza

From where I was standing it was clear that at around 'I Can't Turn You Loose' Jagger was starting to have real voice problems, hinting to the backup singers they had to take over certain parts. The last three songs, starting with TD, Jagger was mainly dancing and working the crowd, letting the BU singers do much of the work.

I later asked Taylor whether he really was scheduled to play. He confirmed, and confirmed that it was cancelled by Jagger due to voice problems, and that Jagger didn't want to do a song where the BU singers could not help him out.

Mathijs

Weird, though, since Rock Me Baby should be one of the easiest songs to sing, no matter how sick you are...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2012 13:04

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Gazza

Mathijs

Weird, though, since Rock Me Baby should be one of the easiest songs to sing, no matter how sick you are...

But still, if Mick had real trouble, he minimalized the effort and riskies in order to finish the show properly. I think that is priority to him than having a nostalgic number with an ex-Rolling Stone.

But did Taylor get to know the cancellation prior the show or during it? If the latter, Mick's (hurrily made) decision sound more understable. Just thinking the amount of work that guy is doing there...

- Doxa

Date: September 19, 2012 13:07

But then, we could always ask would Jagger acted the same if the guest would have been, say, Eric Clapton or Christina Alquiera...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 19, 2012 13:15

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Gazza

Mathijs

But still, if Mick had real trouble, he minimalized the effort and riskies in order to finish the show properly. I think that is priority to him than having a nostalgic number with an ex-Rolling Stone.

But did Taylor get to know the cancellation prior the show or during it? If the latter, Mick's (hurrily made) decision sound more understable. Just thinking the amount of work that guy is doing there...

- Doxa

Well, yes and no... Why not skip Tumblin' Dice and rest on Rock Me Baby, where there are long solo breaks as well? I dunno...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 19, 2012 14:00

How knows what really happened. The story of Mick's voice problems doesn't make much sense. Even if they were forced to drop Rock Me Baby, I don't think it would have been a problem for Mick Taylor to add a little guitar to HTW, TD, BS or Satisfaction, just for the sake of it. I mean, all that truly mattered was to have MT and the Stones together on stage after years.

C

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: September 19, 2012 14:41

All thru 2003 Mick had voice and health problems. Remember that the 1st Twickenham was cancelled. However the 2nd night was great.
All in all Astoria was disappointing to some level. It was not Jagger's voice, but the whole set was rushed down to leave the place as soon as possible to party without the fans. Wembley two days later was of much other caliber.

Date: September 19, 2012 15:01

Grison
All thru 2003 Mick had voice and health problems. Remember that the 1st Twickenham was cancelled. However the 2nd night was great.
All in all Astoria was disappointing to some level. It was not Jagger's voice, but the whole set was rushed down to leave the place as soon as possible to party without the fans. Wembley two days later was of much other caliber.

I thought the Astoria show was hugely dissapointing. Little energy, bad sound, mediocre setlist. The Circus Krone, Vredenburg and especially Olympia show was much, much better.

Mathijs

Date: September 19, 2012 15:16

The reviews posted on IORR back then:

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Date: September 19, 2012 15:33

The setlists were much the same for all the theatre shows (Olympia was longer as it was being filmed).

Pretty natural that it would all get a bit 'samey'if you'd managed to get to four of them in the space of a few weeks.

I enjoyed it and it was the only theatre show I got to. The sound and Jagger seemd fine to me.

Shepherds Bush was a bit better, though - then again, I've read reports from people who reckoned THAT one was shite as well. eye rolling smiley

The best show of that UK run in 2003 though was the Wembley Arena show on 29th August. In fact, I reckon it was the best Stones gig I've ever attended.

Date: September 19, 2012 17:55

Just listened back to the gig and Jagger seems alright. BU vocals are encredibly loud though, and damn Bernard has a nasty voice on this gig!

Mathijs

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 19, 2012 18:27

Mathijs
Grison

I thought the Astoria show was hugely dissapointing. Little energy, bad sound, mediocre setlist. The Circus Krone, Vredenburg and especially Olympia show was much, much better.

Mathijs

The problem with the Astoria show was that there was a delay because the key to enter the building wasn't there to start with. The concert had to be finished before the official deadline (London municipal laws), so the whole show was up speed. Mick's introduction of the members "could be placed in the Guinness Book of Records" to be the fastest ever (confused smiley)
Mick T. was present during the first part of the show (spoke to him briefly). The reason for him not playing had nothing to do with J's voice, though. The real reason is a matter between them and not meant for the public.

Date: September 19, 2012 18:51

georgie48
Mathijs
Grison

Mathijs

The problem with the Astoria show was that there was a delay because the key to enter the building wasn't there to start with. The concert had to be finished before the official deadline (London municipal laws), so the whole show was up speed. Mick's introduction of the members "could be placed in the Guinness Book of Records" to be the fastest ever (confused smiley)
Mick T. was present during the first part of the show (spoke to him briefly). The reason for him not playing had nothing to do with J's voice, though. The real reason is a matter between them and not meant for the public.

The story of missing key is not true at all, the building was open since about 1300 hrs. I am not too sure about the story of the deadline either. I have seen bands play the Astoria until midnight, and the Stones started at (if I recall correctly) 21.30, so they had 2.5 hrs at least.

Mathijs

Date: September 19, 2012 18:55

Gazza
The setlists were much the same for all the theatre shows (Olympia was longer as it was being filmed).

Pretty natural that it would all get a bit 'samey'if you'd managed to get to four of them in the space of a few weeks.

I enjoyed it and it was the only theatre show I got to. The sound and Jagger seemd fine to me.

Shepherds Bush was a bit better, though - then again, I've read reports from people who reckoned THAT one was shite as well. eye rolling smiley

The best show of that UK run in 2003 though was the Wembley Arena show on 29th August. In fact, I reckon it was the best Stones gig I've ever attended.

I guess it also had to do with anticipation. I reckon we expected more from this gig. It is their hometown, 100 yards away from the building where they recorded their first album, Taylor was there and was expected to play. When we walked to the tube after the show we clearly felt a 'was that all?' feeling.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 19, 2012 18:58

The version I heard is that MT was late on rehearsals and therefore didn't "qualify" to perform.

Concerning that show's overall performance, and having attended 4/5 club shows this summer, i'd rate Munich as my favorite, Olympia 2nd, then Utrecht and Astoria in this order but very close to each other.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg was IMO the highlight of the show

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: September 19, 2012 18:59

The non-appearance of Taylor was certainly disappointing as it had been all the gossip in the queue outside - didnt mar what was an enjoyable night though.

I do seem to recall the Shepherds Bush show in 1999 starting pretty late and them ending it in time for an 11 pm curfew, though (they played about 95-100 minutes)

Youre correct about the Astoria being open all afternoon. I distinctly recall hearing the band soundchecking 'Heartbreaker' a few hours before they went on stage.

Date: September 19, 2012 19:23

Doc
The version I heard is that MT was late on rehearsals and therefore didn't "qualify" to perform.

Concerning that show's overall performance, and having attended 4/5 club shows this summer, i'd rate Munich as my favorite, Olympia 2nd, then Utrecht and Astoria in this order but very close to each other.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg was IMO the highlight of the show

I experienced those four club shows in a similar way. Munich was "from a different planet" by far! I'd switch Utrecht and l'Olympia by a margin, but that's only because I'm Dutch and you're French (winking smiley).
By the way, the Orpheum Theatre show was, apart from very, very hot, also an absolute knocker! One of a kind!

Date: September 19, 2012 19:32

Gazza
The non-appearance of Taylor was certainly disappointing as it had been all the gossip in the queue outside - didnt mar what was an enjoyable night though.

I do seem to recall the Shepherds Bush show in 1999 starting pretty late and them ending it in time for an 11 pm curfew, though (they played about 95-100 minutes)

Youre correct about the Astoria being open all afternoon. I distinctly recall hearing the band soundchecking 'Heartbreaker' a few hours before they went on stage.

Astoria being open in the afternoon is indeed correct. But when they left after the rehearsals the place was locked like "Fort Knocks". High level security, so high that even the key was out of site for a while. Ah, but who cares. It was just a shame that the show was not the level it could have been.
Remember Mathijs, that recently Springsteen and McCartney were literally cut of the power circuit! The problem with London is that you can't predict when and how strict they are with "time keeping".

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: September 19, 2012 19:45

- Doxa[/quote]

Well, yes and no... Why not skip Tumblin' Dice and rest on Rock Me Baby, where there are long solo breaks as well? I dunno...[/quote]

Skip Tumblin Dice, are you nuts? That and Brown Sugar are the anthems, the whole tent would fall down if either of those tunes were axed

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 19, 2012 20:18

Room1009
Skip Tumblin Dice, are you nuts? That and Brown Sugar are the anthems, the whole tent would fall down if either of those tunes were axed

I'd pay an extra $50 a ticket for them to NOT play "Tumblin Dice" or "Brown Sugar." I wouldn't blink an eye if they axed it in a set. Plus, considering both those songs have ballooned to 7 minute marathons, by removing them they could easily fit 3 or 4 other songs in their place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-19 20:21 by Justin.

Date: September 19, 2012 20:34

Gazza

Can't really make any comparison but I need to say that the arena show I attend in Glasgow was really impressive. Can't recall the band have had so much energy in any other show I've seen (not that there is so many of them).

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home