Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Gloom and Doom" is a political song and "One Last Shot" is a Keith rocker
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 15, 2012 20:56

Ah...found a joint D&G and OMS thread at last!

Credits from Grrr (cropped from the scan in the OMS thread)

1. Doom & Gloom :
- pre-production by...Matt Clifford! So is that an old GITD outtake or did Mick work with him recently on some new stuff?
- produced by Don Was

2. One More Shot :
- a Richards/Jordan track for which Mick says he added some lyrics.
- produced by Don Was and the Glimmer Twins

Wonder why the production credits differ? Contractual reasons?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 21:02 by gotdablouse.

Date: November 16, 2012 06:26

Why is it Drums: Charlie Watts but for everyone else it's their name and then what they do?

Date: November 16, 2012 09:05

Contractual reasons ? ;-) Dunno really but good catch !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 16, 2012 10:00

Yes, the credits of the 2 songs are very interesting. At first sight, I only noticed the participation of the "Mr In the Doorway", Matt Clifford, on "Doom And Gloom" and the different production credits: No Glimmer Twins for that track either. Seems like it's totally Mick's baby.
Now, the 2nd look shows "One More Shot" originates from the late-2000s Winos sessions.

It's a good thing that Krish Sharma, the Pro-Tools guy and sound squasher extraordinaire of Don Was, was not allowed near the tracks all that much.
There is a typo in the engineering credit for one of the songs: Is Manny called Marraquin or Maroquin? Clearly, they have not paid that much attention to the credits. This could also explain Charlie's credit being out of synch with the others.

Anyway, these credits are confirmation of the writing sessions from the past few years. They must have written more songs during that time. Why not just record and release them? We all want to listen to them.

Date: November 16, 2012 10:12

I think this is in the cards for early next year, hot off these 5 concerts. Mick said to RS he wanted to record, don't see what could prevent him from having his way especially with the current dynamics.

Where do you sed a hint that OMS is from the Winos late 00's sessions?

--------------

Date: November 16, 2012 22:08

billwebster
Yes, the credits of the 2 songs are very interesting. At first sight, I only noticed the participation of the "Mr In the Doorway", Matt Clifford, on "Doom And Gloom" and the different production credits: No Glimmer Twins for that track either. Seems like it's totally Mick's baby.
Now, the 2nd look shows "One More Shot" originates from the late-2000s Winos sessions.

It's a good thing that Krish Sharma, the Pro-Tools guy and sound squasher extraordinaire of Don Was, was not allowed near the tracks all that much.
There is a typo in the engineering credit for one of the songs: Is Manny called Marraquin or Maroquin? Clearly, they have not paid that much attention to the credits. This could also explain Charlie's credit being out of synch with the others.

Anyway, these credits are confirmation of the writing sessions from the past few years. They must have written more songs during that time. Why not just record and release them? We all want to listen to them.

I looked right at that and didn't notice THAT but noticed the thing with Charlie. I wunah WHYYYY the Glimmers didn't do that one.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 10:13

gotdablouse

Credits from Grrr (cropped from the scan in the OMS thread)

I absolutely love both songs; have been listening to them a ton. And it dawned on me today that one reason I love them is: the background vocals are Mick or Mick-and-Keith. I hate to say this because he seems like one of the nicest guys in the world: but I love that the background vocals have no Bernard Fowler. Super nice guy. But I was never crazy about his background singing.

Date: November 17, 2012 10:51

Yeah, he certainly smiled a lot at us last week when leaving the rehearsals and during the "mini Trabendo", having said that I've never been struck by his voice, I wouldn't say it's "bland" but it doesn't stand out a lot to my ears...unlike Keith's of course !I'm not sure it's because I got on the wagon at the time of "Still Life" where Keith's backing vocals stood out on LSTNT or TIOMS but I have a soft spot for them.

I was wondering about the backing vocals on the "ahna, ahna, ahna, ahna" section on the recording and after seeing it live it's definitely Keith and they come back a second time in the live version, making for a more balanced song. For that second time, Mick walked towards Keith, possibly to signal for him when to sing it.

As for Mick backing vocals on Keith's solo spots, yes, like to hear that too, possibly because it brings back memories of happier times, Happy with both of them on stage, and because I'd read that Mick had to be off the stage by contract during Keith's solo spots during the "Still Life" tour...There haven't been many though since, Slipping Away for sure, That Place is Empty too maybe?

--------------

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 18, 2012 04:42

...'lost all our treasure in the overseas war'.....love that line!

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:45

Jagger/Richards/Jordan - YES! Concrete evidence there has been some kind of Winos rumblings going on. Let's hope there's plenty of other stuff in the can.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 18, 2012 06:23

interesting that Doom & Gloom isn't co produced with The Glimmer Twins...its a Mick song front to back on a Stones record..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 19:20 by Rip This.

Date: November 18, 2012 16:49

Not that I can recall and it's not the case here either, right?

--------------

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 18, 2012 18:33

OneHit
Jagger/Richards/Jordan - YES! Concrete evidence there has been some kind of Winos rumblings going on. Let's hope there's plenty of other stuff in the can.

I hope too!

March 1996:
KEITH RICHARDS & THE X-PENSIVE WINOS. Near Ocho Rios, Jamaica, KR’s house. Recording of demo tracks.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 26, 2011 21:37
Keith has been doing some recording with Pierre too. Don't know what for.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 28, 2011 17:52
(...) i also hope more of the sessions he did with Rob Fraboni, Blondie Chaplin, and George Recile 10 years ago surface. Hopefully this is what he's been working on with Pierre as well.

April 2011
Steve Jordan has also been working with Keith Richards at Germano – the pair have been writing and recording in Studio 1, with O’Donnell engineering on those sessions as well.

May 2011
Richards said he has been in the studio with drummer Steve Jordan and that an album "is starting to blossom."

Date: July 24, 2011 09:50
Keith is still in the studio working. Not asking anyone to take my word for it, but a close source claims he's playing his ass off.

Date: October 3, 2011 04:59
Yep. He's also back in the studio working in his own stuff. Playing well.

Ronnie: "(...)Keith is making his record in New York, Mick is like, forever, getting into different musical... we are not getting any younger.(...)

Date: October 6, 2011 02:30
I believe Darryl, Ronnie and Charlie have all made contributions to Keith's new work, along with Steve Jordan and Pierre. So not just the Winos.

"In 2011, Richards worked on the Rolling Stones' reissue of their 1978 album "Some Girls," and he returned to the recording studio to work on solo material with longtime collaborator Steve Jordan. GQ reports that Richards and Jordan have recorded six songs so far "which may or may not turn into an album." Richards said of recording his latest solo music: "I'm sort of basically recovering from the book, and this is my therapy at the moment. In the process of doing it, my chops are coming back. Songwriting's a weird game. I never intended to become one — I fell into this by mistake, and I can't get out of it. It fascinates me. I like to point out the rawer points of life. I work the seamier side of life."

Date: October 22, 2011 23:45
They've been recording in both Connecticut and New York City.

Date: June 27, 2012 23:35
I'm around, Riffhard. Keith is still working in the studio with Pierre as of two days ago. The word I heard from someone present daily at the studio in New Jersey is that it sounded really, even surprisingly great. Of course, as Gazza might point out, what are they going to say? -- especially as Gazza seems to have heard a bit differently. Anyway, it's all slowly moving forward. We can't say full steam ahead, as it's been more glacial, and Mick is obviously being cautious, but everyone still expects another go-round for the Stones.

Date: November 18, 2012 18:38

No more solo stuff please, like Ronnie said, "we're not getting any younger" (he already said that in early 1997 when he claimed Mick had told him they would be releasing no albums every 18 months going forward).

I'm sure Mick has 7 tunes ready to go, so going by these 6 winos tunes and assuming one of them was OMS, that's an album with 12 ready to record in the studio.

--------------

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 18, 2012 19:02

The fact that Keith's only song he's bringing forward for this is something leftover from a seaesion with Steve Jordan really says something about his productivity. Very telling indeed.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 18, 2012 19:10

jamesfdouglas
The fact that Keith's only song he's bringing forward for this is something leftover from a seaesion with Steve Jordan really says something about his productivity. Very telling indeed.

If the quality is that of last Mick's solo work/project it's better to be less productive...

Date: November 18, 2012 19:19

The actual songs weren't that bad, actually other than "She's the Boss", "Let's Work" and "Always Suffering", I can't think of anything really "bad" he's released over the years, now the production, well...

Anyway back to OMS, it's safe to assume he brought several new tracks to Paris (possibly sent ahead of time) and OMS is the one that Mick (with possibly some input from Charlie and Ronnie) liked best, end of story.

--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home