Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ben Waters and Mick Taylor in Finland/Austria/Germany
Posted by: wesley ()
Date: September 28, 2012 13:19

DandelionPowderman
You guys have a great time! Wish I could have been there with you smileys with beer

Thanks DP.

So the forum is open to discussion; meeting before the gig?

Like I told before, I´ll join you at Virgin Oil.

Re: Ben Waters and Mick Taylor in Finland 29th September
Date: September 28, 2012 13:23

liddas
Doxa
liddas
Doxa
The tickets are only 18 Euros... heh, nice to have a Rolling Stone playing in "my birthday party"...grinning smiley

Any other Finnish IORReans joining the celebration?

- Doxa

My birthday is on Sep. 29 as well. Last year Charlie Watts was in Milano that exact day! Organized my birthday party in the club. All in all, I can say that for a very reasonable budget, I had Charlie Watts playing for me at my birthday!!!

C

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Well, let's see if we can enjoy our birthday next year together having the whole band playing for us...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Would be great, but I am afraid that the budget will not at all be "reasonable" ...

C

I guess the price would be exact the same (18 euros)... only difference being within the latter gig the price would be per each performed song.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: September 28, 2012 14:06

Doxa
Nice to see so many IORReans coming to the show in Saturday (but there are tickets still available... Jan Richards? Marko? Bärs? Seitan? You and you?)

I've never been to Virgin Oil before, but seemingly it is a rather basic club. I am easily recognized, namely the one with a tongue shirt... >grinning smiley<

Seriously, could it be a nice idea if we IORReans (and, of course, our company) would meet in some pub nearby before the concert? The show will start at 10 pm, so could, say, 8 pm be alright for a beer, or so? Any suggestions of the pub, or better timing, or is it better just to try to catch each other at Virgin Oil?

Looking forward to seeing you, people!

- Doxa

I have a ticket and a hotel room booked, but I also have a lady who works night shifts and a kid to take care of, so I'm struggling a bit right now to arrange things. Living in Vaasa I don't just pop in for a few hrs for the gig....

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: September 28, 2012 17:08

No niin, varasin juuri lentolipun. Olen paikalla Lauantaina illalla.
Jos näette tämännäköinen tyyppi siellä, niin se on minä. Saa tulla juttelemaan smiling smiley

T. Janne

[mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 28, 2012 21:59

Doxa ja muut minä yritään saada lippun, olen Helsingissä

Date: September 29, 2012 08:16

I´ll be working till 3 pm. Then straight to hotel, dinner with associates and I´ll arrive to VO at 10 pm.

I´ll recognize at least Doxa and Topi.

See you guys!

Date: September 29, 2012 09:33

Are you guys staying for à beer after the concert? Not sure ill make it to 10 pm but gf and me might turn up after

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 29, 2012 10:09

@happy

i´ll be at the gig in vienna, are you coming?
johannes

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 29, 2012 11:24

bluesinc., I can't make it this time, my sister has a university graduation ceremony (or what is it called) and I have to be there. You don't know how I regret it, this is the first time Mick T. plays in a reasonable distance from the place I live and I would really love to be there (I would love to see Ben too, of course). Have a great time, you will tell me about it the next March in Metropol :-)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 29, 2012 11:53

I'm going to have dinner with a bunch of Finnish Bruce Springsteen fans at 5 PM.

Not sure how long that will take, probably up until 8 PM as the Bruce Springsteen 63th birthday party @ Korjaamo begins at 8 PM.

Probably not going to Korjaamo at all, at least not before the Mick Taylor gig, so I might as well join you guys for a glass or twelve.

If anyone gets this in time, drop me a line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-29 11:53 by Topi.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 29, 2012 13:48

Awright!

Looks like we have a great party coming on. smileys with beer

I'll be at 7.00 pm in Helsinki, then having a dinner, and heading for some pub nearby to warm up my 44 years old engine... no idea where though, but I'll be in Virgin Oil around 9-9.30 I guess. I am easily recognized: the damn georgious looking guy... grinning smiley... okay, okay (before wesley says anything) more realistic picture: a black trousers and jacket, a grey retro Stones shirt with Jagger in American flag hat, eye-glasses and blonde half-long messy hair... (eli dressmannin kuluneenharmaa Jagger-naama paita lienee paras tuntomerkki)

Listening BRUSSELS AFFAIR at the moment, and getting into it...

Mick Taylor, man!

- Doxa

Date: September 29, 2012 13:51

Redhotcarpet
Are you guys staying for à beer after the concert?

Surely!

- Doxa

Date: September 29, 2012 14:33

Warming up w/ Ladies and Gentlemen here winking smiley

I will be wearing jeans and a Bergen 2006 event t-shirt.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: September 29, 2012 18:20

Only few hours to go!

Tuntomerkit: logo-t-paita ja piiitkät hiukset

Date: September 30, 2012 02:33

I was front and center, and in the end Mick gave me his guitar pick!

Now I am only missing those of Brian Jones and Ronnie Wood...winking smiley

Why did he skip CYHMK and YGM? He looked exhausted, hot and kind of tired towards the end. I thought he signalled to the band "I'm outta here" and never came back for the encores.

Date: September 30, 2012 09:34

Doxa
Redhotcarpet
Are you guys staying for à beer after the concert?

Surely!

- Doxa

Perkele! Olin siellä aivan lyhysti naiseni kanssa ja hän suutui eikä viitinyt menä, olimme ollut katsomassa festivaalifilmiä (R ja A ) koko päivän... Sain hänet muukani Rexistä mutta hän ei viitinyt mennä VO:n. Kysymys: oliko joku teistä iorristä rappuila tupakala keskiyöällä? Puhuin aivan lyhysti jonkun taylor- fanin kanssa enenkö pitis lähteä taas.

Ja Oliko Taylor hyvässä kunossa?

Date: September 30, 2012 15:24

Home again. The gig was a fun party. Nice band, Taylor in good form, focused and seemed to enjoy the gig. As Topi noticed, he was quite tired during the end of the show. Song selection was "challenging" for most of the crowd, including myself: not a single Stones song except the HTW intro, which started the show. I was expecting CYHMK and Ventilator Blues and this tight band really would have done justice to these excellent gems! I have to admit, I was a little disappointed for this set list..

Besides the fine music, I met Doxa, who actually smiled and had really fun time all the evening. I got introduced to JK and Jan Richards, both of them are really nice guys. Unfortunately we didn´t organize any meeting point and therefore these three gentlemen were the only IORR brothers I had pleasure to discuss with. Some celebrities among the audience: former hockey players Jari Kurri and Christian Ruuttu. Not Michael Monroe or Andy McCoy (Hanoi Rocks) this time, I´ve seen them in Stones concert.

Please, share your feelings of this event here. I might take a nap..

Re: Ben Waters and Mick Taylor in Finland 29th September
Date: September 30, 2012 16:45

smokeydusky
Some additional shows in Europe

29 SEPTEMBER 2012
The Virgin Oil
Ben Waters Band
Helsinki
Finland
Tour of Finland, Austria and Germany with the fabulous former Rolling Stone Mick Taylor
www.virginoil.fi
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 02 OCTOBER 2012
Kesselhaus
Ben Waters Band
Kolbermoor
Germany
Tour of Finland, Austria and Germany with the fabulous former Rolling Stone Mick Taylor
www.exorbitan.de
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
03 OCTOBER 2012
Posthof
Ben Waters Band
Linz
Austria
www.posthof.at
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
04 OCTOBER 2012
Reigen
Ben Waters Band
Vienna
Austria
www.reigen.at
05 OCTOBER 2012
Impulse
Ben Waters Band
Neusiedl
Austria
www.weinwerk-burgenland.at
06 OCTOBER 2012
Bluesiana
Ben Waters Band
Velden
www.bluesiana.net
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Funny enough, I´ll travel to Bratislava and Vienna on Thursday. One congress day and others just for vacation. So, who knows..

Date: September 30, 2012 19:26

Ok so didnt see Taylor this time - any of you who got to see him, what did you think of the gig?

Date: September 30, 2012 21:07

Had a great night last night at Virgin Oil in Helsinki. Only Stones music from the loudspeakers all night long. Warm up band did only Stones covers from 68 – 72 period. And then we got Mick Taylor who was a Stones but he did not play that many Stones songs during the gig. Don’t ask me for the set list, I had too good of a time to even try to remember which songs he did. Several of them being songs that I had not seen Taylor do live before, so I was happy. A few that I remember: Muddy Waters You Shook Me, then Stop Breaking Down and Fed Up With The Blues

But the best thing with the night was to hang out with all Stones friends like Juha and wife Riikka, Jokke and Toma, with whom I have traveled the world on Stones tours AND to finally meet Doxa and Wesley for the first time. You rock guys. This is the fantastic thing with the Stones community, I talked with Doxa and Wesley like we had been friends for the past 30 or so years and still this was the first time we met each other. Well, we all knew why we were there last night so it was really easy to connect. Really nice guys, hope to see ya again. I also saw a guy get the plectra from Taylor, that turned out to be Topi then! OK!

Taylor was in a normal condition. He did his singing and playing just like I have seen him several times before so I guess he had a normal day in the office. A couple of pictures (I was up at the balcony on Keiths side)

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: October 1, 2012 11:37

Aah, what a great evening!

I had so much fun. Really a splendid pleasure to meet fellow IORRians. Mostly talked with JK, JanRichards and Wesley (thanks for the beers, pal!), but also met some others, some of them not even registered here, but oddly enough seemed to know me... Great, great people! Cheers! Sorry to hear that Redhotcarpet didn't make it this time. Yeah, let us hope that occasions like this will happen in (near) future as well. I am sure they will!

Of the gig. The warm-up act, Finnish all-star tribute band, did alright in setting the mood right. But honestly, I didn't listened too closely them, since we had some great conversations going on... Anyway, they weren't actually playing country versions of Stones, but more like playing Stones country-flavored numbers. The closing number "Rocks Off" was excellent, and rocked damn hard.. "Time Waits For No One" made me think that there is a player behind the stage, who could nail this number better than no one else...

Ben Waters band set the place on fire, but honestly it was hard for them to play 'alone', since (alaost) everybody knew who to wait there. This was a Rolling Stones crowd, and there was only one player to satisfy their expectations. As the songs go by, and no Taylor, there seemed to be some articulated tension between Ben and the audience. But finally, in the middle of "Honky Tonk Women" Taylor arrived and took that Les Paul standing in the middle of the stage we'be been (at least myself) staring nervously.

Okay, this was my fifth Taylor gig, and first since 2004. I agree with the observations of Topi, Wesley and JanRichards above. He looked rather exhausted by the end of it, and not even entering to do the encore with teh rest of them ("Brown Sugar"), even though they seemed to wait for him to come (at least kept on staring to his direction).

But that said, and despite obvious tireness, man, that cat still can play guitar! Since the set was based on typical blues numbers, that gave Taylor a templete to be a maestro and show his player capacities. I personally think I have never wittnessed before how great this man really is (and like said, this is my fifth time). Eyes closed, presence being Dylan-level audience-friendly, but those fat fingers telling us touching universal stories. Probably for some ears that might sound 'typical boring'' blues guitarism, but to me the guy has a touch of uniqueness and originality, which is simply stunning (kids, don't try that at home!). All the time figuring out a new angle, new little side story, and idea. As a guitar player, and middle of all those boring copy-cat blues guitar players, this man is an artist. Like said, the templete gave him enough room to improvise, which he used surprisingly well, and he carried his central role of action really well.

So all in all - jeez christ whadda helluva birtday party I had. And The Stones as well... Thank you for everyone involved, not the least mr. Mick Taylor!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 11:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: October 1, 2012 12:00

What a great evening. Stones fans (I met Doxa and Wesley for the first -but not the last- time), great opening act, Ben Waters...Mick Tylor....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 1, 2012 13:11

Great review Doxa.......so you are famous winking smiley

Date: October 1, 2012 13:30

A short lunchbrake. It´s already in YouTube:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 13:31 by wesley.

Date: October 1, 2012 13:52

Thanks Wesley! Unfortunately this clip catches one of the last numbers and probably the worst moment in the show... thankfully Taylor was not so tired-looking and 'let's get the hell out of here now" all the time...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: October 1, 2012 14:24

Thanks for the review and video! Hope to see more. Yeah, I missed this one but there will be more I hope. Saw some great films at the Rakkautta ja anarkia film festival - Helsinki Film Festival

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 1, 2012 15:42

Thanks Jan and Doxa for your reviews, it sounds like you guys had a blast.
Skål smileys with beer

Date: October 1, 2012 16:29

I just found this:

Date: October 1, 2012 21:04

Woow, thanks Wesley for the second clip. That was really good. To be honest much better that I remember. There was so much going on up at the balcony, myself, JK, Doxa, Wesley and a few other guys having just too much to talk about. So, it may be that we did not pay enough attention on what was going on down on the stage.......

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home