Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dance Pt 1&2
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 10, 2012 11:13

treaclefingers
GravityBoy
After all these years it just hit me...

Who got left off the front cover?

I always presumed it was Bill that got left off. From top left clockwise...

Mick, Charlie, Keith, Ronnie were my guess. Maybe that was the day Bill decided he was going to leave the band, in 12 years.

Yes, I think Bill was left out as well.

An early lesson for me.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 10, 2012 12:36

Yeah, "Dance" (both original versions) is a great example of the times when the band still could integrate naturally new things to their repertuare, and still sound so damn Stonesy and original. Damn, they had a groove going on in that early "Woody period": "Hot Stuff", "Hey Negrita", "Miss You", "Everything's Turning to Gold", "Dance", "Send It To Me", "Emotional Rescue" - interesting experiments in funk/reggae/disco area - and we should add "Undercover of The Night" , "Think I'm Going Mad" and "Feel On Baby" as well. Great dance music.

All in all, even though decadent EMOTIONAL RESCUE lacks something in the song-writing apartment, it is probably their grooviest record of all time. The band was really redhot then, the rhythm section has never been better. The follower UNDERCOVER still had its moments, but they somehow lost that natural groove - and balls - they had in EMOTIONAL RESCUE, not to even mention the albums after it. To start the album with "Dance" is a strong artistic statement of its own (of course, after "Hot Stuff" and "Miss You" it wasn't so daring move any longer, but still...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 12:37 by Doxa.

Date: September 10, 2012 15:35

Doxa
Yeah, "Dance" (both original versions) is a great example of the times when the band still could integrate naturally new things to their repertuare, and still sound so damn Stonesy and original. Damn, they had a groove going on in that early "Woody period": "Hot Stuff", "Hey Negrita", "Miss You", "Everything's Turning to Gold", "Dance", "Send It To Me", "Emotional Rescue" - interesting experiments in funk/reggae/disco area - and we should add "Undercover of The Night" , "Think I'm Going Mad" and "Feel On Baby" as well. Great dance music.

All in all, even though decadent EMOTIONAL RESCUE lacks something in the song-writing apartment, it is probably their grooviest record of all time. The band was really redhot then, the rhythm section has never been better. The follower UNDERCOVER still had its moments, but they somehow lost that natural groove - and balls - they had in EMOTIONAL RESCUE, not to even mention the albums after it. To start the album with "Dance" is a strong artistic statement of its own (of course, after "Hot Stuff" and "Miss You" it wasn't so daring move any longer, but still...)

- Doxa

Black And Blue deserves a mention here as well thumbs up

On ER the Stones brought in Michael Shrieve, Santana's drummer to play percussion on some tracks. He is rarely mentioned, but he certainly makes this album swing, imo.

He's doing very subtle things just in the right places.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 10, 2012 15:51

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Black And Blue deserves a mention here as well thumbs up

On ER the Stones brought in Michael Shrieve, Santana's drummer to play percussion on some tracks. He is rarely mentioned, but he certainly makes this album swing, imo.

He's doing very subtle things just in the right places.

Yeah, re - BLACK AND BLUE. The difference in groove and in the way the music 'breathes' is huge in compared to forced and uptight sounding IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL. I think the contrast is easily to be heard in "Fingerprint FilE" compared to "Hot Stuff" - songs riffage or its idea doesn't vary a lot, but the latter is just so much relaxed and has more natural groove, while the former is more like an early, a bit insecure experiment to do that rhythm. Even with the standard rockers "Hand of FAte"/"Crazy Mama" the band sounds funnily more relaxed, and balanced than in IORR. That swing!

Thanks noting that Srieve part. I never have put much attention to it. Yeah, the band handlled those kind of things perfectly then - their intuition knew what will work and will not. Very tastely played by him.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 15:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:26

palerider22
One of their worst covers...I remember thinking at the time it was lazy and unimaginative...that thermal imaging technique was already stale and no longer noteworthy,,,

I must have been living under a rock. I'd never seen thermal imaging used in such a creative way before. Actually I hadn't seen much thermal imaging at all by 1980. I thought the whole packaging thing was kind of cool. But then again I love Indian Girl.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 11, 2012 05:33

24FPS
palerider22
One of their worst covers...I remember thinking at the time it was lazy and unimaginative...that thermal imaging technique was already stale and no longer noteworthy,,,

I must have been living under a rock. I'd never seen thermal imaging used in such a creative way before. Actually I hadn't seen much thermal imaging at all by 1980. I thought the whole packaging thing was kind of cool. But then again I love Indian Girl.

That could have been the thermal imaging.

Date: September 11, 2012 09:49

24FPS
palerider22

+ 1. Indian Girl is a bit of a stretch, though winking smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 11, 2012 16:03

I'll jump on the complete version as soon as I get home tonight.

Which 3 versions does it include exactly ???

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 11, 2012 16:16

I loved the Dance versions since first hearing . .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:32

When I got the LP in the early 90s, I put that huge poster straight up on my wall. I think it´s great artwork

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:47

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
ryanpow
The version from Licks is says Part 1, but its really a hybrid of 1 and 2.

What version from Licks? Licks what?

It was left off LIVE LICKS, they stuck it on the "Biggest Mistake" CD single a couple years later. Please refer to your $250 box set SINGLES 1971 -2006. And yes, they list it as "Dance (Part One)" despite incorporating verses from "If I Was a Dancer ("Dance" Part Two)." Since Mick rewrote some of the lyrics entirely perhaps this should have been labeled "Dance (Part Three)." In any event, a great groove and one of the few songs that came off extremely well when performed live during the Vegas era. Might I suggest part of its charm is the Ancient Art of Weaving?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 11, 2012 17:59

Ronnie had a song writing credit on Part 1 but not Part 2! I assume he wrote some of the music with keith. Wonder why they put Ronnie's name on it, but did not do the same for some past members on other songs?

For the Live version (in the first post of this thread), seems Mick forgot/changed the lyrics some what. Always liked the reference to Keith which he omitted.

Dance Part 1
(M. Jagger/K. Richards/R. Wood)

Hey, what am I doing standing here on the corner of
West 8th Street and 6th Avenue and...

Ah, skip it.

Nothing. Keith! Watcha, watcha doing? (whistle)
Oh, I think the time has come to get out, get out

Get up, get out, get into something new
Get up, get out, into something new

Ooh! And it's got me moving (Got me moving honey!)
Ooh! And it's got me moving

My my my, my my my, my my my, my my my, my

Poor man eyes a rich man
Denigrates his property
A rich man eyes a poor man
And envies his simplicity.

Get up, get up, into something new
Get up, get out, down into something new

Ooh! and it's got me moving

Yeah, get up, get up, get out
Into something new
Yeah, all, woncha all, woncha all, woncha all
Don't stand accused....

Dance Part 2
Jagger/Richards)

I stand accused of talking
But I feel that we are falling
In the same old groove
The radio is playing
Spitting out the same old news

It's time to get up, get out
Get out into something new
Time to get up, get out
Out into something new

Everybody wants somebody's fantasy
Everybody wants somebody's crazy dreams

If I was a woman, I would want a new man every night
If I was a politician, make sure I was the best in sight

The poor man eyes the rich man
Denigrates his poverty
The rich man eyes the poor man
And envies his simplicity

If I was a movie star, five million dollars would be my price
If I was a trucker, I'd drive for seven days and seven lonely
Nights
If I was a drummer, I would never miss the beat
If I was a dancer, y'all would never see my feet
If I was a hooker, a thousand dollars would be my price, all right
If I was a candidate for President, I'd make sure I had a steady wife
If I was a millionaire, I'd spend all my money in one crazy night

I am what I am
Yeah, my my boss I am what I am
My dreams can't be bought Yeah, I said now
I tear across the dollar Just to end this day with you Yeah, I am what I am
I am my own boss Everybody wants somebody's crazy dreams
Everybody want somebody's fantasy

Everybody want somebody's fantasy

Date: September 11, 2012 18:07

I think this was just an oversight on the credits. Pretty sure Ronnie's credit was restored elsewhere and that he is paid royalties as a co-writer.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 18:23

Outtake:

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 11, 2012 19:48

I was basing what I said on the Four Flicks Paris DVD. I just ment Licks Tour version. Mick introduces the song as "Dance.... Part 1". Then half way through he sings lines that are from Part 2.

I read that Keith envisioned this song to be like Shotgun by Jr. Walker with minimal lyrics that repeat and he was uhappy with all the lines that Mick added to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-11 19:52 by ryanpow.

Date: September 12, 2012 00:01

kowalski
Instrumental version is great too:

What's the story behind this?? I love it. I thought it would just be "Dance Pt. 1" stripped of vocals, but it's different beyond that. (I knew Keith wanted it no vocals...but never knew they released an instrumental version in any form.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 00:02 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2012 00:17

but never knew they released an instrumental version in any form.)

.....released on the promo 12"

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2012 04:08

Rockman
but never knew they released an instrumental version in any form.)

.....released on the promo 12"

Why would you want to promote something you weren't going to sell to the general public?

Date: September 12, 2012 04:28

Radio play and club play. "If I Was a Dancer" was the promotional single to help sell SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES. In the States, a lot of retail chains wouldn't carry the LP because it was considered offensive so Atlantic sent around a 12" single to radio and clubs to help generate awareness. This was right around March 1981.

Date: September 12, 2012 05:31

Rocky Dijon
Radio play and club play. "If I Was a Dancer" was the promotional single to help sell SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES. In the States, a lot of retail chains wouldn't carry the LP because it was considered offensive so Atlantic sent around a 12" single to radio and clubs to help generate awareness. This was right around March 1981.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Well, if it was never released to the general public, I won't feel guilty for having just converted it to MP3 and loading it into my iPod. smiling smiley

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 05:41

I love both of these...1 and 2.....didnt realize there was a 3 or an instumental..

Can someone kind of lay it out as to what are the differences...similarities between all of these...Rockman? lay this all out for me?

Am I making any sense? I think I need the play-by-play of the Dance trilogy...

Undercover1

Date: September 12, 2012 05:59

3 demos are available from the 1979 sessions in paris ....

Basic band with Mick toying around with the feel of different lyrics...

First demo runs for about 6.30 other two are over the 7 minute mark...

All great to hear and possibly still available on a few boots such as Emotional Rescue Demos or Emotional Rescue Sessions 1979

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2012 06:06

But about the official releases? Pt1 on ER.. Part2 on SITS's Part3?

Date: September 12, 2012 06:29

Yep

Dance 1 --- Emotional Rescue
Dance Pt2 - Sucking in The Seventies
Instumental version on promo 12"

Dance Pt. 1 was one strong riff where Mick immediately took the bait, literally got up and danced to it, which was the whole idea of the track: it's a catchy riff. That was an example of a song that originated without words, just a groove with various changes, but never a chorus. We did have various alternative mixes going at the time, but I can't really tell the difference between Part I or Part II or Part III. It was just a novelty, the Pt. 1 bit.

- Ron Wood, 2003

I saw Dance as more of an instrumental, like Junior Walker's Shotgun. And Mick immediately came up with reams of paper and lyrics. I thought it should be a minimal lyric, and Mick comes up with Don Giovanni.

- Keith Richards

[www.timeisonourside.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2012 06:32

Good stuff Rock!

Thank You

Date: September 12, 2012 06:40

The finished 6.45min backing track of Dance from Paris 1979 sessions can
be found on VGP's - The Pain Of Love (Unsearchable Studio Rarities Vol.2)

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 07:05

Thanks Rockman, invaluable knowledge there, very interesting. When I started listening to the Stones in 1990 at age 11, I listened mainly to the "hits"; "Dance" did not appeal to me. It, and hundreds of other songs, albums, artists, etc., have grown on me over the years thanks to the knowledge and background information that people here have researched and shared on IORR. Knowing the background and history of this music only makes it more interesting. Thanks to all.

Date: September 12, 2012 07:14

I agree, rbarnes, I am alittle older than you, was 20 in 1990, but I love the knowledge and info all these fans have, its awsome. I do not post much, but when i do ask questions I always get answers and info from Rockman and Gazza and all the others.

Undercover1

Date: September 12, 2012 07:15

Well there ya go barneseeeeee they always say that something
monumental and life-changing happens in everyones life when they turn 33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: September 13, 2012 05:26

Well Rockman, I discovered the Stones at 11, but I don't know what monumental discovery has taken place this year...I first enjoyed "Dance" at a college party with some girls who didn't know who the Stones are and a case of cheap beer!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home