Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 49
Re: Billboard: Rolling Stones To Play London, Brooklyn In November
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 16, 2012 19:43

Well the prices are a HUGE turn off. I'd said before many times that I won't bother with Voodoo Lounge Part 7, or Licks part two, or whatever this SAME SHOW is that we've been getting since '94.

There's nothing fresh at all about any of this, it feels like a hollow shell with a complete lack of anything artistic. AND they're charging through the nose and out the other end for this. Some people feel that IF they do a tour next year then somehow the ticket prices will magically go down.

Reading "Life" made things very clear to me about how this "band" works these days. The Rolling Stones care about one thing and one thing only.
Your money. Not unlike a prostitute.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: October 16, 2012 20:48

Remember Somerset House. A lot (including I) thought: "they may be having a mini 3 songs gig"....

We ended up with a VIP cocktail party for 50 happy few.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2012 20:49

jamesfdouglas
I won't bother with Voodoo Lounge Part 7, or Licks part two, or whatever this SAME SHOW is that we've been getting since '94.

There's nothing fresh at all about any of this, it feels like a hollow shell with a complete lack of anything artistic.

You must not have been at Wembley Arena, 8-29-03.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:02

Edith Grove
jamesfdouglas
I won't bother with Voodoo Lounge Part 7, or Licks part two, or whatever this SAME SHOW is that we've been getting since '94.

There's nothing fresh at all about any of this, it feels like a hollow shell with a complete lack of anything artistic.

Or any of the 1999 Tour...

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:14

The band is really making the 50th about themselves, which it should be, but doing so at the expense (pun intented) of their long-time and average fans. It's not like Sir Jagger and company need to make millions more to add to their already nearly billion dollar operation. What would be cool for the band to do, and a way to show some love for their fans, is to do a select amount of shows at prices from past Stones' tours. They could do say, a couple per region so fans in the area have a couple opportunities to attend, so in the US that would be eight (east coast, west coast, south and midewst). Announce these shows at smaller venues with a short lead time of a week or a few days. So for example, they could do a show where tickets are the price of a '75 tour or '81 tour. Maybe if they wanted to get creative (a long shot I know) even feature a setlist similar to what they did back then. I doubt they would do this but it would be a way to say "thank you" for 50 years of listening to a loyal, die-hard fanbase, many of whom can't afford these exorbitant ticket prices of these four upcoming shows and the 2013 dates to follow.

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:37

The problem with your scenerio is that most of those lower-priced tickets will not end up in the real fans hands-at least not at the original prices. At least the way they are doing it now (which I am not trying to justify, just pointing out) the money does end up going to the guys that are providing the main service, and not to scalpers or whatever fancy name they give themselves these days.

That being said, I wish that your proposal would happen, and that every ticket ended up in a true fan's hand.But we all know they won't. God, I hate how this works!

Date: October 16, 2012 21:41

Munichhilton
Edith Grove
jamesfdouglas

Or any of the 1999 Tour...

How was Wembley '03 not a Vegas show?
And I've heard boots from '99 (they named the tour after a live album of the previous tour). The setlist was better, but still the same Vegas-army of 13 musicians onstage = same musical results. The warhorses still sounded EXACTLY the same.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:43

Edith Grove
jamesfdouglas

Good one Edith Grovesmileys with beerhot smiley
i loved it
jeroen

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:44

not that there's anything wrong with a vegas show. the stones do it better than most...it's a veGAS, veGAS, veGAS!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:45

Sipuncula
deadegad
Sponsored by Bain Capital?

Actually, the National Endowment for the Arts is sponsoring it, so the tour is free for everyone! They're gonna broadcast the whole thing on PBS instead of pay-per-view, and Big Bird is rumored to be the guest on marimba for Paint it Black.

And Oscar The Grouch can play the garbage can on "Moon Is Up".

Date: October 16, 2012 22:54

corriecas
Edith Grove
jamesfdouglas

i loved it
jeroen

Ok... um, guess I had to be there? Glad that they decided not to do their Vegas show for one night of the tour??

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2012 23:27

jamesfdouglas
corriecas
Edith Grove
jamesfdouglas

i loved it
jeroen

Ok... um, guess I had to be there? Glad that they decided not to do their Vegas show for one night of the tour??

So the fact they had backup musicians & singers ruins the whole gig ?

The Stones were really on that night, as well as the other Wembley Arena shows.
Must be something about that place.......

Posted by: charlie62 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 23:47

grrreed

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 23:58

well said.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 17, 2012 00:34

They should play Hyde Park and Central Park, just to show that they can still pull it off.

Posted by: tydallen ()
Date: October 17, 2012 07:14

I was at Wembley Arena 8/29/03. I traveled from the US just to see the show.
It was honestly the best night of my life!
I have the set list as it was given to me by someone on behalf of the band.
Ronnie even flicked his pick at me at the end of the night!

My picts. of that night are phenomenal I paid off the security guards in front of me!

Posted by: tydallen ()
Date: October 17, 2012 07:18

I am disgusted to see the ticket prices. However, we know its just a game.
How many times have we heard "this could be the last time, this could be the last time. It may be the last time I dunnno."

Its ashame that the true fans have to be treated this way.

However, who knows what magic can happen if you really are a fan and show up.

My 2003 trip also awarded me a signed lithograph poster of the stones I will be buried with if I never have kids.

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:03

So whats supposed to happen at 9am ?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:06

beepee
So whats supposed to happen at 9am ?

More of the same that happened on monday.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:21

Don't see any changes on tm site for archive subscribers.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:28

what the hell is TBC ?

Wednesday 17th October 9AM BST

Stones Archive Subscribers
ANYONE WHO SUBSCRIBES TO THE STONES ARCHIVE MAILING LIST IS ELIGIBLE.

O2 Customers information TBC.

Link just takes you to :

Join the Rolling Stones Archive and Bravado mailing list
On October 22nd after 12pm EST an email will go out to members of the Stones Archive list that will announce availability to purchase The Brussels Affair Box Premium Tickets Bundle to the Newark Prudential Center shows on December 13th & 15th before tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, October 26th.

Each bundle includes The Brussels Affair Box Set shown below and two tickets. Subscribe here and don’t forget to check your email on Monday, October 22nd!

Idiots!

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:36

Its Only Rock N Roll and I like it

[www.markbutler.co.uk]

£950 for a premier package now we really know who the Stones really care for and it aint you and I.

Posted by: bjornkasm ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:45

Anyone that succeeded to get tickets at 9AM with the box set? I tried both concerts and no very expensive tickets were available.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 17, 2012 11:49

I thought 'fan club' peeps had access to standing tix ?
What a shambles.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 17, 2012 12:00

Maybe CNE for you guys,good luck!

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: October 17, 2012 12:02

Haven't read all the posts here, so I apologise if someone else has said this already: OK- leave the huge ticket-prices as they are, but give the money to CHARITY. How about 'Help The Aged'?- as people the same age as the brand..sorry..'band' can't even afford to heat their homes this Winter?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 17, 2012 15:06

I really hate when people try to justify these ridiculously high prices by quoting some misunderstood marketing or sales bullshit. There is something you self-proclaimed experts need to understand. A well run business is not necessarily the business that can ask the highest prices. It's the one that understands its market, its target group, its customers. It's the one that wants to create value, provide a product that convinces and puts the customer first. That doesn't mean they have to give away everything for free, it's essential for a company to make profits. But hell, I rather earn 8 million instead of 16 million and feel satisfied that I did a great job and provided something of value instead of a rip-off.

The Stones atm provide a mediocre product at a ridiculously high price. They live off their fame and image of the past and milk the market without any regrets or hesitation. It sucks big time. It's that misunderstood capitalism without restraints that only knows one winner.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 17, 2012 15:39

Lorenz
A well run business is not necessarily the business that can ask the highest prices. It's the one that understands its market ... It's the one that wants to create value ... But hell, I rather earn 8 million instead of 16 million and feel satisfied that I did a great job and provided something of value instead of a rip-off.

Well, you're young... Idealism wears off, apparently. Pride in a job and the wanting to minimise the risk of image damage are no prominent features with the RS anymore.

I'm not trying to be a marketing expert, but I very much think the current business model is something like I posted in another thread:

Limbostone
micawber
Limbostone
Gazza
if they play to half empty stadiums when they tour for real, its not as if they'll learn from it and make the NEXT tour affordable.

Maximising profits sadly means that it can be more profitable to have a 50% full venue at high prices than completely full at moderate prices. 25.000 x €100 is just more than 50.000 x €40.

This certainly was the philosophy when selling ABB tickets. They did not need to sell out at those prices. (Only at some places where they turned out to have really overestimated their potential they have cancelled a show, possibly with some health related excuse).

Even if this often led to uncomfortably emtpy stadiums and possibly some image damage from it ("Stones can't sell out stadiums anymore", which is just not true), they appearantly didn't mind playing for empty seats. Because financially, it didn't matter.

I'm tired of that BS. If it doesn't matter anymore for them if they play in empty houses while the cash is ok, then they can f... off.

Well, not exactly empty. It's a balance. In my example, they have marketeers found out that they'll always have a 25.000 base that will pay €100 anyhow. People like us and people with money. Any ticket sold extra is a nice plus, but not necessary. That's a more secure situation than actually needing all 50.000 tickets sold to break even.

With the addition that they will try to push the 25.000 secure seats for more than the necessary €100 by being non-transparant, and they wil try to push the other half, which they don't need to sell anyway, by being cunning. If they can trick a scalper into buying them, they won't care they can't be sold on.

If pride and conscience are gone, why try to sell the house for €40 a seat?

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: October 17, 2012 15:46

What a joke that is… every day it becomes more grotesque.

Amex Presales, O2 presales, McDonald presales, … finally pleb sales. Ah also, if you’re a fan you get a free spam letting you know in advance that you can purchase god knows what news shitty platinum package with autopen signatures on top (it’s actually one for 2 customers but hey that’s better than 1 to shares with 10 people).

They can all go to hell, Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie, each single one of them taking part in that bullshit.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 17, 2012 18:04

Limbostone
Lorenz
A well run business is not necessarily the business that can ask the highest prices. It's the one that understands its market ... It's the one that wants to create value ... But hell, I rather earn 8 million instead of 16 million and feel satisfied that I did a great job and provided something of value instead of a rip-off.

Well, you're young... Idealism wears off, apparently. Pride in a job and the wanting to minimise the risk of image damage are no prominent features with the RS anymore.

I'm not trying to be a marketing expert, but I very much think the current business model is something like I posted in another thread:

Limbostone

Yeah, I saw what you posted and I agree with your observation. Clever and cunning, as you said as well. Just should that make us be fine with all of it?

I don't think idealism just wears off or is reserved for the young(er). It's just that life can make one cynical and prefer profit to moral. Along the way that must've happened to the Stones.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2408
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home