Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O/T What Are Your Favorite Box Sets ?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2012 09:34

Come On
Angus MacBagpipe
Come On
The Complete Billie Holiday on Verve 1945-1959 10 CD

I bought them each individually on CD, but the Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944 is a wonderful collection of her earlier (and I think best) stuff. The full box set won a Grammy in 2002.

Them earlier era records I got on CBS double-albums, and yes, a wonderful bunch of songs from young Billie there...thumbs up

I love Verve.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 27, 2012 23:22

I just got it, but I've been digging into the Kinks at the BBC set. There is a lot of great music on here! I have yet to tackle the DVD part, but looking at the cover this looks interesting as well!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 27, 2012 23:37

Happy Jack
I just got it, but I've been digging into the Kinks at the BBC set. There is a lot of great music on here! I have yet to tackle the DVD part, but looking at the cover this looks interesting as well!
That sounds like a real treat. I might get that as well.

Date: August 27, 2012 23:54

I'll have to admit, my favourite box sets usually involve 2-3 pieces of white meat chicken, fries, cole slaw, gravy, and a biscuit. A coke to wash it all down.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 28, 2012 22:43

1. Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles Collection 1959 - 1971
2. Ray Charles: The Birth of Soul - The Complete Atlantic Rythym & Blues Recordings 1952- 1959
3.Bob Marley: Songs of Freedom
4. Peter Tosh: Honorary Citizen
5. The Chess Box: Chuck Berry
6. Chess Blues
7. Stax 50th
8. Atlantic R&B 1947-1974
9. The Complete Stax/Volt Singles: 1959-1968
10. Sun Records: Ult Blues Collection
11. Jook Joint Blues: That's What They Want

These are all essential for me.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 28, 2012 23:20

Shantipole
1. Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles Collection 1959 - 1971
2. Ray Charles: The Birth of Soul - The Complete Atlantic Rythym & Blues Recordings 1952- 1959
3.Bob Marley: Songs of Freedom
4. Peter Tosh: Honorary Citizen
5. The Chess Box: Chuck Berry
6. Chess Blues
7. Stax 50th
8. Atlantic R&B 1947-1974
9. The Complete Stax/Volt Singles: 1959-1968
10. Sun Records: Ult Blues Collection
11. Jook Joint Blues: That's What They Want

These are all essential for me.
I have #'s 2, 3, 8, and 9. The rest sound good too - I should check them out. Thanks!

Date: August 29, 2012 00:31

All great stuff. I was once playing the Ray Charles one in the car stuck in traffic. I was playing it loud and the woman in the car next to me signaled me so I figured she was complaining it was loud or something. She actually wanted to know who it was singing and where she could get a copy! She loved the music.

The Marley one is fantastic as well but really, in my opinion they all are great!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 31, 2012 17:37

keefriffhard4life
2000 LYFH

Doors - Box Set

David Crosby - Voyage

forgot about that crosby boxset. i have the graham nash one as well thats great. also forgot about AC/DC bonfire although including the album back in black was pretty pointless.

that doors boxset was good in the 90's but is pretty useless now after the reissues with bonus tracks and all of the live albums. also the disc of "favorites" was a waste of space

If you don't have Crosby's Voyage then it's highly recommended. Also CSN DVD - "The DVD Collection" is very good. It's a three DVD set - Daylight Again, The Acoustic Concert and Long Time Comin. The first two are concerts and the last is a documentary (Steven Stills doing "4 + 20" solo in 1969 on the Dick Cavett show a few days after Woodstock is included and is such a great version).

Still need to pickup Nash's box set.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 1, 2012 08:48

Whale
Happy Jack
That sounds like a real treat. I might get that as well.
I recommend you get it. Apparently its going to be a limited run (5-disc/DVD version). I commend the producers of putting bootleg quality material on here. They do so because it helps round out the set and we get rarely heard Kinks material like Louie Louie (yes that one), Stop Your Sobbing and a unique BBC medley of Dedicated Follower of Fashion/Well Respected Man/Death of A Clown.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 3, 2012 11:38

treaclefingers
I'll have to admit, my favourite box sets usually involve 2-3 pieces of white meat chicken, fries, cole slaw, gravy, and a biscuit. A coke to wash it all down.

I knew a guy who liked to wash it down with the cup of gravy it came with. Ewww.

In other news, good to see recommendations outside the fore ... now, for one
of the best titles for a set, I gotta go with this one: "Highs in The Mid-Sixties".

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 3, 2012 12:45

THE NEW STONES COMPILATION WITH .......................2 NEW SONGS!!!!!!!!!!

yEAH YEAH, these are exciting times!!! CANT WAIT FOR SOME EXCITING NEWS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeroen

Date: September 3, 2012 12:51

Five Guys Walk Into A Bar - hands down thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 3, 2012 14:59

Shantipole
All great stuff. I was once playing the Ray Charles one in the car stuck in traffic. I was playing it loud and the woman in the car next to me signaled me so I figured she was complaining it was loud or something. She actually wanted to know who it was singing and where she could get a copy! She loved the music.

The Marley one is fantastic as well but really, in my opinion they all are great!

Ray Charles has a number of excellent box sets, and I'm proud to state that I own the following:

1. Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1952 - 1959
2. Genius & Soul: The 50th Anniversary Collection
3. The Complete Country & Western Recordings 1959 - 1986

Concord could do with issuing a Ray duets series, i.e the Betty Carter sessions, the Cleo Laine Porgy & Bess, and the Friendship country duets, but it seems to have gone quiet on the Ray reissue front.

Date: September 4, 2012 19:45

tomcasagranda
Shantipole

Ray Charles has a number of excellent box sets, and I'm proud to state that I own the following:

1. Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1952 - 1959
2. Genius & Soul: The 50th Anniversary Collection
3. The Complete Country & Western Recordings 1959 - 1986

Concord could do with issuing a Ray duets series, i.e the Betty Carter sessions, the Cleo Laine Porgy & Bess, and the Friendship country duets, but it seems to have gone quiet on the Ray reissue front.

I have to check out the Genius & Soul one!

Date: September 5, 2012 01:46

I'm hoping a new set by the Rolling Stones called, GRRR...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 5, 2012 01:56

Free - Songs of yesterday
Dylan - most of the bootleg series
Mott the Hoople

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home