Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Edith Grove - Isaac IS coming your way
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 18:52

Hurricane (to be) Isaac looks like] its IS coming your way towards New Orleans. Could be a Cat 2, so be prepared (you may be outside putting up the plywood as I type).

Been pouring at my house (south Florida) for the last few days, so this thing is huge. And we all know what happens once it hits the Gulf waters. Be safe...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-29 04:34 by 2000 LYFH.

Re: Edith Grove - Issac (may be) coming your way
Date: August 26, 2012 18:59

Looking like a Biloxi area landfall as a cat 2 as of this morning based on some models. Obviously that could change. I'll be preparing but so far not bothering with plywood, just moving things so they don't get blown around. Isaac will be pushing water into Lake Pontchartrain and then down towards New Orleans, similar to Katrina but nowhere near the amount of storm surge.

Where the eyewall is will determine a few things...

Re: OT: Edith Grove - Issac (may be) coming your way
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 26, 2012 20:30

2000 LYFH
be prepared (you may be outside putting up the plywood as I type).

A well-maintained car and a tank full of gas is my only preparation. smoking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 27, 2012 01:25

Ahh,what's a little Louisiana rain?

Date: August 27, 2012 05:56

Current track bring is Isaac right over the town I live in, right over my house, across the lake from Edith.

Not good, if you are one of those kind; not great but OK if you don't mind and, of course, for the kind that like it, fantastic!

It will be fun. IF it stays on the track they have for now. For all I know it will end up in Texas the way it's been going.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 27, 2012 11:07

Hope everything's gonna be OK.I talked to EG yesterday afternoon and he didn't seem worrying too much about the hurricane .I realize how lucky we are over here not fear every year big hurricanes...

Date: August 27, 2012 13:13

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Not good, if you are one of those kind; not great but OK if you don't mind and, of course, for the kind that like it, fantastic!

It will be fun. IF it stays on the track they have for now.

Date: August 27, 2012 13:57

Storm surge is looking to be about 11 feet in my neck of the bayou. That changes some things. At least the storm won't blow up into a 3 or higher due to dry air on the western part of it. If it stays as it is anyway. Isaac should stay a cat 1, maybe a weak 2.

Date: August 27, 2012 15:23

I watched CNN and they said it is not very good but hopefully I was able to reach Lee on his cell.
He was on his way to work and let me know if they have to evacuate.
Of course I will let you know.
Keep it safe Lee.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 27, 2012 15:30

We're still getting minor squalls and high winds here in S. Florida. The system seems to be moving on. I saw the Mayor of N.O. this morning via NBC say that the SuperDome or facilities will not be available this time for Lousiana residents. I'm not making this up.

Date: August 27, 2012 15:55

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Storm surge is looking to be about 11 feet in my neck of the bayou. That changes some things. At least the storm won't blow up into a 3 or higher due to dry air on the western part of it. If it stays as it is anyway. Isaac should stay a cat 1, maybe a weak 2.

Your probably right, but I remember Hurricane Charley in 2004, it went from a Cat 2 to a Cat 4 (145 MPH) in about an hour or two. It was expected to hit Tampa or a little farther to the north and all of a sudden made a right hand turn (didn't use its blinkers) and came in a 75-100 miles south in around Sanibel/Captiva Island's into Port Charlotte area. It was a small storm but a lot a damage to a 10-15 mile path as it moved in land.

Moral of the story - expect the unexpected.

BTW - didn't the Stones do a photo shoot on Sanibel Island for the Black & Blue album in 1976?

Re: OT: Edith Grove - Isaac (may be) coming your way
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 27, 2012 16:07

EG, if you don't mind, we'd prefer you stop keeping all the damn rain to yourself.
We'd love to have a bit in Texas....Lakes are at 50%....

Date: August 27, 2012 16:19

Edith Grove
2000 LYFH
be prepared (you may be outside putting up the plywood as I type).

A well-maintained car and a tank full of gas is my only preparation. smoking smiley

I hear you. Which way are you heading? It's pretty wide and a rain maker...

Date: August 27, 2012 16:27

On CNN they just said they prepared buses to drive people out of the city and that they could use the Superdome if they need to.
They also showed ths huge " wall " a barrier they built after Katrina

Chris Fountain
We're still getting minor squalls and high winds here in S. Florida. The system seems to be moving on. I saw the Mayor of N.O. this morning via NBC say that the SuperDome or facilities will not be available this time for Lousiana residents. I'm not making this up.

Date: August 27, 2012 16:32

SwayStones
On CNN they just said they prepared buses to drive people out of the city and that they could use the Superdome if they need to.
They also showed ths huge " wall " a barrier they built after Katrina

Chris Fountain

Good News - All these stadiums and arenas that are built on the backs of tax payers need to be used for humantarian causes as well if needed.

Date: August 27, 2012 16:56

Here is the magnitude of storm:

[www.ssd.noaa.gov]

Date: August 27, 2012 17:08

2000 LYFH

Last week, when the forecast was for Isaac to travel up through Mississippi, I reserved a hotel room in Alexandria, Louisiana.

I thought northwest was the way to go, but now Isaac is traveling northwest, as well.

Oh well, at least I will be above sea level when it hits. grinning smiley

Date: August 27, 2012 17:25

Edith Grove
2000 LYFH

Last week, when the forecast was for Isaac to travel up through Mississippi, I reserved a hotel room in Alexandria, Louisiana.

I thought northwest was the way to go, but now Isaac is traveling northwest, as well.

EG,may be I didn't understand well what you said to me on the phone,but didn't you say the hotel was located about three hours driving from New Orleans ?
Why so far ?

Date: August 27, 2012 17:47

SwayStones
Edith Grove
2000 LYFH

EG,may be I didn't understand well what you said to me on the phone,but didn't you say the hotel was located about three hours driving from New Orleans ?
Why so far ?

Hurricanes can still pack a punch after they move onto land.

It's not unusual to see stong winds & tornadoes cause damage for many, many miles after landfall.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 27, 2012 17:49

Edith Grove
SwayStones
Edith Grove
2000 LYFH

Why so far ?

It's not unusual to see stong winds & tornadoes cause damage for many, many miles after landfall.

How many times have you actually jumped into your well maintained car full of gas and gotten the hell out? How long before do you wait? Are the roads usually clear by then or busier?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 17:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 27, 2012 17:57

Chris Fountain

They never wanted it to be. With Katrina and everyone being so inept (like not using all available buses, not helping people get out that don't have vehicles etc) while knowing full well that people needed help, the Supe was, as they say, a shelter of the last resort. There are less people now, not that that really matters, and just about everyone is aware and knows they're on their own.

Date: August 27, 2012 18:00

Max'sKansasCity
How many times have you actually jumped into youe well maintained car full of gas and gotten the hell out? How long before do you wait? re the roads clear by then or busier?

When the city calls for an evacuation, and I expect that to happen around noon, I start loading the car up.

It seems like damn near everybody who evacuates jumps on the Interstate to get out of town, and turns the highway into a parking lot.

I'll be taking back roads all the way.

Date: August 27, 2012 18:01

2000 LYFH
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Your probably right, but I remember Hurricane Charley in 2004, it went from a Cat 2 to a Cat 4 (145 MPH) in about an hour or two. It was expected to hit Tampa or a little farther to the north and all of a sudden made a right hand turn (didn't use its blinkers) and came in a 75-100 miles south in around Sanibel/Captiva Island's into Port Charlotte area. It was a small storm but a lot a damage to a 10-15 mile path as it moved in land.

Moral of the story - expect the unexpected.

BTW - didn't the Stones do a photo shoot on Sanibel Island for the Black & Blue album in 1976?

Yes they did.

I talked to a friend of mine in Punta Gorda when the eye of Charley was over them. I asked him why he answered his phone, he said he couldn't believe it was ringing! They got smashed good.

The Gulf is different this time than that. There's a lot of dry air keeping Isaac from blowing up, something that has been prevelant over the whole Atlantic basin this season. Of course, that could get cut off and then BOOM, cat 3 or higher. I'm taking a break from preparing. But a real short one.

Date: August 27, 2012 18:04

Edith Grove
SwayStones
Edith Grove
2000 LYFH

Why so far ?

Missippi and Alabama, away from the coast, was real bad for Katrina with tornadoes. It can happen. Looks like it will come a little bit east of Alexandria as a tropical storm.

Date: August 27, 2012 18:05

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity
How many times have you actually jumped into youe well maintained car full of gas and gotten the hell out? How long before do you wait? re the roads clear by then or busier?

When the city calls for an evacuation, and I expect that to happen around noon, I start loading the car up.

It seems like damn near everybody who evacuates jumps on the Interstate to get out of town, and turns the highway into a parking lot.

I'll be taking back roads all the way.

Oh come on, you don't like the contraflow!??!?

Date: August 27, 2012 18:05

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Chris Fountain

They never wanted it to be. With Katrina and everyone being so inept (like not using all available buses, not helping people get out that don't have vehicles etc) while knowing full well that people needed help, the Supe was, as they say, a shelter of the last resort. There are less people now, not that that really matters, and just about everyone is aware and knows they're on their own.

No offense- the taxpayers funded the SuperDome. Do they not have any sayso with money spent?

Date: August 27, 2012 18:07

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Oh come on, you don't like the contraflow!??!?

The local bar band ?

Never heard their stuff. smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2012 18:19

Max'sKansasCity
How many times have you actually jumped into your well maintained car full of gas and gotten the hell out?

Since 1973, I'd guess about ten times. It was four years since the last one.

I'm just remembering, seven years ago on this day I was watching Katrina coming towards New Orleans and the Stones were coming out with ABB and a new tour.

Today I'm watching Isaac, and the Stones have recently been in the studio and rumors of a tour abound.

Date: August 27, 2012 18:47

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: August 27, 2012 18:58

Yeah, just stay where you are, and ignore the evacuation orders, and then when it hits, you can go on your roof with "HELP" signs, and talk about how the govt doesn't care enough about you...

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home