Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Edith Grove - Isaac (may be) coming your way
Date: August 28, 2012 21:50

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:50

mr_dja
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I can't stand it when the TV heads say 'tidal surge' when it's not tidal surge, it's storm surge. There's no such thing as tidal surge - the tide has nothing to do with storm surge.

Partially agree... While I believe you're right that there's no such thing as a "tidal surge", I believe that I remember hearing various times that a "storm surge" can be worse at high tide than low tide. Also, I believe that the "storm surge" can be effected by tide's moving in or out at the time the storm hits (that memory is a bit fuzzier). It's been a few years since I had to pay attention to the stuff but 15 years of Nor'Easters in New England have left their marks on the memory.

Regardless: Hope that all in the path of Isaac (and any other storms this season) come out safe & dry.

Thanks!! The Forum has young kids like StonesTod, Max, and We Play the Blues. Contributions are very well appreciated! I'm an older Stones Fan and enjoy the youthful look at the Stones. It's great that tradition will carry on!!

Date: August 28, 2012 21:53

It is true storm surge can be better/worse because of the tide but you're talking about a foot, foot and a half, etc. It makes a small difference.

Remove the wind pushing the water (storm surge) and you have a "storm tide" of a matter of inches, not feet, just by the low pressure. The wind has 99.98% to do storm surge, and the tide height(s) can add or reduce it but regardless of that, are you really gonna notice the difference between a 19 foot surge and a 20 foot surge because of a high or low tide? Hell no!

Ha ha. Rain, on the other hand...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:54

Max'sKansasCity
I think they are talking about how low tide and high tide affects how high the water gets...

Or perhaps they're talking about High Tide and Green Grass. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:57

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity
I think they are talking about how low tide and high tide affects how high the water gets...

Or perhaps they're talking about High Tide and Green Grass. tongue sticking out smiley
........................................... thumbs updrinking smileysmileys with beerdrinking smileythumbs upgrinning smiley

Date: August 28, 2012 21:57

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity

Really High Tide And Wet Grass?

Date: August 29, 2012 00:16

Winds kicking up now. Pets are getting scared.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 29, 2012 00:20

batten down the hatches, and all that...

Date: August 29, 2012 02:10

Natlanta
batten down the hatches, and all that...

NOOO!!!!!!! No bad buzzwords/phrases!

Date: August 29, 2012 02:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Is it showing a radar picture? I can't see it.

Date: August 29, 2012 03:03

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Can't see it on either post.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 29, 2012 03:05

Hey Lee,if you see Jim Cantore when your out and about say hi.maybe you can get a job with the weather Channel!.....Stay safe man.thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 29, 2012 03:07

Here's a feel good for ya!

Date: August 29, 2012 03:45

sweetcharmedlife
Hey Lee,if you see Jim Cantore when your out and about say hi.maybe you can get a job with the weather Channel!.....Stay safe man.thumbs up

I'm going to take Some Guy's advice and jump in front of the camera and yell "Rocks Off rules you bastards !"

Date: August 29, 2012 03:57

Edith Grove
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Can't see it on either post.

It was supposed to be a picture of a radar...I dunno if it would have moved or just the image of when the "center" of Isaac was out in the Gulf. Maybe this one will work:

[belo.bimedia.net]

Date: August 29, 2012 04:00

Looks like a wall of water, stay safe New Orleans.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-29 11:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 29, 2012 04:01

Yeah, that works, and it's in real time, too. Getting really windy in the French Quarter now.

Thanks !

Date: August 29, 2012 04:10

Heard a rather startling THUNK on top of our house. Live oak dropped a quite small branch. I say that, it might weigh 300 lbs, which, of course, is very light for a live oak.

We've had some good wind gusts over here but nothing too heavy yet. The original speculation by noaa.gov was a 11-13 foot storm surge here, considerably higher than Katrina (they have it at 9-11 right now). Of course, the local media says 5-7 feet now so not too bad.

[www.nws.noaa.gov]

Date: August 29, 2012 04:20

Pretty well defined eye in this one...

Date: August 29, 2012 04:25

'Karaoke starts at 9': Marigny/Bywater businesses remain open for Isaac

Published: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 7:00 PM
By Alison Fensterstock, The Times-Picayune

Around 3:30 p.m. at the downtown tavern Mimi's in the Marigny, Iggy Pop's cover of "Wild One" came on the sound system. Outside, though, Hurricane Isaac remained tame - the wind was moderately gusty, but rain so far was still varying in strength between "walking past a lawn sprinkler" and "rainforest setting on a fancy showerhead." Through the still-open windows looking out on Franklin Avenue, drinkers could see groups of cyclists cruising by holding beers on their handlebars, and one older male couple leaving Big Daddy's tavern across the street, with one gentleman using a walker.

Kajun's Pub has no plans to close - or halt the karaoke - for Hurricane Isaac.

Bartender Sean White said that while Mimi's normally doesn't open for happy hour until 4 p.m., he'd opened a little early for the half-dozen folks who turned up, off work for the storm but restless in the so-far moderate weather. The bar, he said, will remain open until he decides to close down.

"We normally have almost no customers on Tuesday afternoon, and today we have a few," he said. The kitchen is closed, and there will be no live music, but the downstairs bar, he said, will stay open until he feels like going home. They'll open Wednesday at 4 p.m. as usual, White said. And he lives within walking distance, so "we'll say open tonight without power until the weather gets too bad for customers to get in and leave, or til it 's unsafe for me to walk home." White offered the eight afternoon customers a shot of Tullamore Dew whiskey, and took one for himself.

"It's my birthday at midnight tonight," he said. "I'll probably still be here."

The Marigny and Bywater neighborhood, on Tuesday afternoon, seemed sanguine and unimpressed by Isaac at midafternoon. Residents had parked their cars on the Chartres St. river levee and the St. Claude and Poland Avenue neutral grounds early and stocked up on supplies, but by late afternoon, with the storm still moving slowly, many had ventured out to bars and coffee shops.

Marigny and Bywater residents parked their cars on the Chartres St. river levee as well as the Poland and St. Claude avenue neutral grounds for Hurricane Isaac.

At the Mardi Gras Zone convenience store on Royal Street, lines were short and
essential supplies like batteries and water (as well as the exotic snacks and soft drinks that are the store's signature) still seemed in good supply. Mardi Gras Zone traditionally only closes for the Jewish high holiday Yom Kippur, and according to staff, the storm won't interrupt its 24/7 policy unless storm conditions make it unsafe for customers to get there. On St. Claude Avenue, 24-hour convenience stores Hank's and Wagner's Meat also planned to remain open, as did BJ's Bar on Burgundy Street.

From her vantage point, one Mardi Gras Zone manager said, the neighborhood was doing business as usual.

"People are buying water, all the usual stuff," she said. "But it doesn't seem like people have left. The area is still very busy - it seems like people stayed."

Geoff Douville, who co-owns the Lost Love Lounge at Franklin Avenue and Dauphine Street, took a calm view of Hurricane Isaac. As his bar opened at its normal happy-hour time of 4 p.m., he sat looking at the IMDB page for Ted Lange, the actor who played Isaac the bartender on "The Love Boat."

Douville, 41, experienced his first hurricane - Hurricane Bob - in 1980, he said.

"It was a category 1, like this," he said. "You don't evacuate that. You just ride it out. I'm not putting aside safety concerns, but for me, the alarm bells only go off for a strong category 3 with a well-defined eye wall, moving slow. Those are the three factors I look at. Without those, my business is going to stay open."

The Lost Love Lounge will remain open regular hours Tuesday and Wednesday (4 p.m. - until) barring a power outage, he said, though the Vietnamese kitchen housed in the bar is closed.

"Because it's a tomb in here with no power," Douville said. "The only light we get is through the front door."

Down the block at Café Flora, staff seemed similarly relaxed as a quartet of regulars sipped coffee and played backgammon in preparation for the café's weekly tournament. Outside, regular Gene Trahan, 69, played with his new puppy, Sally, and relaxed before heading home.

"I spent the morning in Slidell tying up my boat, and my friends' boats," he said. "I'm just going to finish my coffee and then go back to Algiers."

The barista, who gave his name as Ted, said the café would not close even in the event of a power loss.

"During Katrina, they made cowboy coffee," he said. "If the power goes out, we'll just brew the old-fashioned way."

Muriel Altiriki served a full house at Markey's Bar Tuesday afternoon, during Hurricane Isaac.

At Markey's Bar on Royal and Louisa Street, bartender Muriel Altikriti had been busy all day. The bar's kitchen had closed after an unusually active Monday night, she said, and had not restocked food out of concern about losing power. But still, by midafternoon, the bar was full of afternoon drinkers who had either brought their own lunches or were not concerned about solid nutrition.

"We're going to close around 7," she said. "The owner told me that we're not going to be a shelter of last resort for drunk people."

Markey's will close after a power loss, if that occurs, and reopen when the juice returns, she said.

That's not a concern at Kajun's Pub on St. Claude Avenue, said bartender Dustin Price.

"We have generators," he said, as he surveyed a full bar that included several dogs and a couple playing Scrabble with cocktails on the stage.

"We've been closed a total of about 4 hours since Katrina. Karaoke starts at 9."

[www.nola.com]

Re: OT: Edith Grove - Isaac IS coming your way
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 29, 2012 11:43

Great update Lee. Are you able to get to work today? How is the hurricane affecting your day to day existance? Are the shops open? Any restaurants? I was pretty sure that a few bars would remain open - particularly some of the rockier ones along Bourbon.

Date: August 29, 2012 13:29

Appears they lost power down there... as the eye moves by New Orleans...

Date: August 29, 2012 13:59

Max'sKansasCity

We still have power in the French Quarter, probably because the lines are underground here.
No flooding reported, as of yet, within the levee system.
The heaviest winds came in about two hours ago, gusting up to 62 MPH.

The whole house has been shaking overnight.
It's like I spent a night on one of those vibrating beds in a cheap hotel room, and I didn't even have to put a quarter in the machine !

Daybreak is soon, and we'll see more of what it looks like then.

Date: August 29, 2012 14:02

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity

We still have power in the French Quarter, probably because the lines are underground here.
No flooding reported, as of yet, within the levee system.
The heaviest winds came in about two hours ago, gusting up to 62 MPH.

The whole house has been shaking overnight.
It's like I spent a night on one of those vibrating beds in a cheap hotel room, and I didn't even have to put a quarter in the machine !

Daybreak is soon, and we'll see more of what it looks like then.

GREAT TO HEAR THAT YOU'RE SAFE AND SOUNDsmileys with beer

Are you seeing the footage of Jim Cantore out on Canal? He is on the weather channel, water up to his knees, holding onto a fire hydrant trying to keep from blowing away... he is kind of nuts.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-29 14:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 29, 2012 14:13

They are saying "Yes it is a category 1 hurricane, with "only" 80 mph winds... BUT it is a VERY LARGE storm and it is VERY slow moving, thus is it causing a lot of problems.

Date: August 29, 2012 14:19

Max'sKansasCity
Are you seeing the footage of Jim Cantore out on Canal... he is kind of nuts.

Yeah, I just got a look at him. He IS nuts. grinning smiley

The running joke down here is if Jim Cantore shows up in town, it's time to get out !

Date: August 29, 2012 14:25

Silver Dagger
Great update Lee. Are you able to get to work today? How is the hurricane affecting your day to day existance? Are the shops open? Any restaurants? I was pretty sure that a few bars would remain open - particularly some of the rockier ones along Bourbon.

Yeah, I'm sure a few bars around here are open. There is no curfew in the city right now.

Most businesses, including mine, won't be open today.
Strong winds will continue throughout the day and the power crews won't be able start repairs until the winds go below 35 MPH.

Date: August 29, 2012 14:28

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity
Are you seeing the footage of Jim Cantore out on Canal... he is kind of nuts.

Yeah, I just got a look at him. He IS nuts. grinning smiley

The running joke down here is if Jim Cantore shows up in town, it's time to get out !
LOL... that is a good rule of thumb... eerr "rule of Cantore"

The thing that would worry me the most about hurricane force winds is what they say about...."IT IS NOT THAT THE WIND IS BLOWING 80 MPH, IT IS WHAT THE WIND IS BLOWING AT 80 MPH... e.g street signs, 2x4s, eggs, trash, chickens etc etc etc. I dont wanna get hit by a chicken (or egg) flying at 80 mph... that might ouch.

Date: August 29, 2012 14:32

Max'sKansasCity
The thing that would worry me the most about hurricane force winds is what they say about...."IT IS NOT THAT THE WIND IS BLOWING 80 MPH, IT IS WHAT THE WIND IS BLOWING AT 80 MPH... e.g street signs, 2x4s, eggs, trash, chickens etc etc etc. I dont wanna get hit by a chicken (or egg) flying at 80 mph... that might ouch.

Yeah, since I don't have a garage, I'm worried about my car that is parked outside.

I'll go out later to see how it is.

Date: August 29, 2012 14:38

There's a lady calling in to one of the local TV stations here who is located outside of the levee system and did not evacuate.

She is trapped in her attic with her elderly mother and pleading for help.
She says the water in her house is up to the ceiling.

She says her truck broke down, preventing her from evacuating.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home