Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Edith Grove - Isaac (may be) coming your way
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 27, 2012 19:08

dewlover
Yeah, just stay where you are, and ignore the evacuation orders, and then when it hits, you can go on your roof with "HELP" signs, and talk about how the govt doesn't care enough about you...

Back before the days of hurricane forecasting, people used to keep an axe in their attic so they could chop their way out through the roof during a flood.

Date: August 27, 2012 19:47

dewlover
Yeah, just stay where you are, and ignore the evacuation orders, and then when it hits, you can go on your roof with "HELP" signs, and talk about how the govt doesn't care enough about you...

It's not going to be like Katrina.

Re: OT: Edith Grove - Issac (may be) coming your way
Date: August 27, 2012 19:48

Chris Fountain
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Chris Fountain
We're still getting minor squalls and high winds here in S. Florida. The system seems to be moving on. I saw the Mayor of N.O. this morning via NBC say that the SuperDome or facilities will not be available this time for Lousiana residents. I'm not making this up.

They never wanted it to be. With Katrina and everyone being so inept (like not using all available buses, not helping people get out that don't have vehicles etc) while knowing full well that people needed help, the Supe was, as they say, a shelter of the last resort. There are less people now, not that that really matters, and just about everyone is aware and knows they're on their own.

No offense- the taxpayers funded the SuperDome. Do they not have any sayso with money spent?

Why would that matter? It doesn't matter. They're not making it into a shelter again.

Date: August 27, 2012 19:51

Chris, you saw what happened for Katrina - and that was the weak side of that storm. This will be near that minus all the storm surge - so far. It's not exactly a safe place to be.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 20:06

Hello EG - only three hours away from you here in Pensacola. Stay safe and strong.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 27, 2012 20:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 21:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 27, 2012 20:15

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Chris, you saw what happened for Katrina - and that was the weak side of that storm. This will be near that minus all the storm surge - so far. It's not exactly a safe place to be.

If the storm moves westardly all major impact will occur. Please keep in mind that storms are fueled counter clockwise.

Date: August 28, 2012 03:45

Looks like most people in NOLA are not taking this storm very seriously, including yours truly, so I have my pantry stocked up and I'm riding this one out.

I personally know of no one, although I'm sure many will, who is evacuating.
Only those who live in areas that are not protected by levees are encouraged to evacuate.

I just came in from a walk around the French Quarter, and while not as busy as usual, it is still very active.

Maybe I'll get out later for some pics & video.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 28, 2012 04:24

Edith Grove
Looks like most people in NOLA are not taking this storm very seriously, including yours truly, so I have my pantry stocked up and I'm riding this one out.

I personally know of no one, although I'm sure many will, who is evacuating.
Only those who live in areas that are not protected by levees are encouraged to evacuate.

I just came in from a walk around the French Quarter, and while not as busy as usual, it is still very active.

Maybe I'll get out later for some pics & video.

Hey L - Storm brings lots of rain - even as we speak-- lay high!

Date: August 28, 2012 06:29

Chris Fountain
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

If the storm moves westardly all major impact will occur. Please keep in mind that storms are fueled counter clockwise.

Except for the ones that are clockwise.

Date: August 28, 2012 06:30

Whole lotta nothin' so far. A lot of dry air.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:59

Good luck to you Lee.

Date: August 28, 2012 10:29

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Chris Fountain
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Except for the ones that are clockwise.

It actually depends on if you are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere of the Earth whether a hurricane spins clockwise or counter clockwise. Due to the Coriolis effect, winds will move counter clockwise on the northern hemisphere, and clockwise on the southern hemisphere.

If you are ever going to be on a boat, and you might get caught in a hurricane you need to know which hemisphere you are, so when you are near a hurricane. You want to sail away from it, away from its the eye... There is a rule about which direction you want the winds blowing across the front of your ship. I forget what is says... because it doesnt to matter to me where I live... but if I ever become a sailor again, I will relearn it

[www.usatoday.com]
"" Hurricanes can, and often do, form in the Southern Hemisphere, where they're called cyclones. The factors that aid in tropical storm development, including warm ocean water and low wind shear, are present in both of the Earth's hemispheres.

Tropical cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere spin in a clockwise direction, which is opposite to hurricanes in the Northern Hemisphere. In addition, the Southern Hemisphere typically has about half the number of hurricanes as the Northern Hemisphere each year.

Since the seasons are opposite in the Southern Hemisphere, the hurricane season there lasts through the Northern Hemisphere's colder months -- late October through May. The Southern Hemisphere has three major basins for tropical storm development: the Southwest Indian Ocean, the Australian Region, and the South Pacific Ocean. The storms primarily affect Australia and southeastern Africa.

Tropical storms rarely occur in the South Atlantic because of cooler waters, high wind shear, and the absence of an Intertropical Convergence Zone -- a constant area of low pressure and thunderstorm activity along the Earth's equator. In fact, until two years ago, a hurricane-strength storm had never been never reported in the South Atlantic. Cyclone Catarina became the first recorded South Atlantic hurricane when it formed on March 26, 2004.""

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 28, 2012 15:30

2000 LYFH
Hurricane (to be) Isaac looks like its coming your way towards New Orleans. Could be a Cat 2, so be prepared (you may be outside putting up the plywood as I type).

I have a suspicion Edith may already know that smoking smiley

Date: August 28, 2012 16:17

Max'sKansasCity
Tropical cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere spin in a clockwise direction

So that's why race cars go clockwise and toilets flush backwards down there by Rockeee !

Date: August 28, 2012 16:31

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity
Tropical cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere spin in a clockwise direction

So that's why race cars go clockwise and toilets flush backwards down there by Rockeee !

Yup... and you can thank Gustave-Gaspard Coriolis for splaining it to us...

...seen here in the Northern Hemisphere....

...and here in the Southern Hemisphere

PS

Doncha jus LOOOOOVEEE how THEY are jacking UP gas prices this morning and blaming this storm? Just one time..... just once... I would like to hear them say something like... ""and because of ________________ we will see lower gasoline prices"". JUST ONE TIME!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 16:37 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 28, 2012 18:17

Word of the day #2: HURRICANE ! (sorry StonesTod)

Date: August 28, 2012 18:22

Edith Grove
Word of the day #2: HURRICANE !

Keep your head covered and stay safe man.... Good Luck

Date: August 28, 2012 18:52

DAaAaAMMMNNN!!!! [www.weather.com]

The future....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 19:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 28, 2012 19:26

Well, it's officially a hurricane now. 75 MPH sustained winds.

A French Quarter bar invites people in ahead of Tropical Storm Isaac on August 27, 2012 in New Orleans. Photographer: Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Bloomberg News

Pal’s Lounge in New Orleans Defies Isaac With Beer, Smokes, Talk
By Esmé E. Deprez on August 28, 2012

Scot Middleton, a regular at Pal’s Lounge in New Orleans’s Mid-City district, faced down Isaac with Camel Blues and conversation.

Louisianans like him grow up with hurricanes; Betsy ripped the roof off the family home when he was just a toddler, he said last night.

“It’s an inconvenience,” Middleton, 47, said of the impending storm between swigs of Miller Lite. “I don’t want to be without power for three days, but I’ve got things to do.”

Isaac’s center was about 125 miles (201 kilometers) southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River with top winds of 70 miles per hour at 5 a.m. New York time. That’s 4 mph less than hurricane strength. It’s set to strike south of the city on the seventh anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, which killed 1,800 people after levees surrounding New Orleans failed.

Supplies were dwindling at stores and officials began to close roads and ask people to evacuate. Residents were weighing whether to leave the lives they’ve built behind or to remain, and ride out the storm’s consequences.

At Pal’s, a neighborhood institution in the Bayou-St. John section of Mid City, the beer was cold, cigarette smoke thick and rock music loud. The crowd may have been bigger than most Monday nights, said Middleton, as many locals would be forgoing work today to prepare for the storm.

“Happy hurricane!” was one friend’s greeting to him.

Good Juju

The bar is on higher ground than some areas in the city. Suzanne Accorsi, the bar’s general manager, planned to keep Pal’s doors open as long as she can ensure customers will remain safe from the dangers both natural and man-made, like looting and violence.

“It can’t possibly be another Katrina, but it could -- people get struck by lightning twice,” Accorsi, 45, said as she repeatedly knocked on a wood table beside arcade games. “People like to have somewhere to go. So if we can stay open, we will.”

Pal’s was one of the first joints in the neighborhood to revive itself after Hurricane Katrina reduced city’s homes to piles of rubble and mold. Even grocery stores remained shut, so Pal’s served meals like rice and beans from a communal pot to the area’s recovering residents.

Home at Pal’s

That effort reinforced the pride and loyalty for their community among the bar’s regulars, almost all of whom are local, said Rob Willbanks, 45, who lives six blocks down the street. Whatever hits the city in the next few days, those who stay behind will endure it together, he said.

Memories are fresh of how Katrina’s breached levees tried to sweep away not just possessions, but communities. Makeshift repairs at Pal’s, like chunks of plaster patching a wall, remain.

“A lot of people evacuated for Katrina and couldn’t come back for weeks, months, even years,” said Willbanks. “There’s a great sense of loss if we’re not together.”

Not all was status quo: Pal’s typical Monday fare of red beans and rice was supplanted by chips and queso, which Accorsi was serving first in case of power loss.

Her boyfriend, David Poretto, 39, surveyed the scene from his standard station at the end of the bar, sipping an Abita Amber.

“Why?” was the one-word rejoinder he gave when asked whether he planned to leave behind the bottled water, booze, canned goods and generator the couple has stockpiled at their house two blocks down the street.

“If you left, you’d miss all of this,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Esme E. Deprez in New Orleans at edeprez@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Stephen Merelman at smerelman@bloomberg.net

[www.businessweek.com]

Date: August 28, 2012 19:32

this is where I usually would post a couple of Hurricane songs videos (Scorps, Neil etc etc), but not today.... this looks to be getting pretty serious. Stay safe down there.

Date: August 28, 2012 19:38

Max'sKansasCity
this is where I usually would post a couple of Hurricane songs videos (Scorps, Neil etc etc), but not today.... this looks to be getting pretty serious.

Oh, what the hell. The power might be going out here, and then I wouldn't be able to see them.

Go ahead and post them !

Date: August 28, 2012 19:42

You got it bossman.... stay safe

Date: August 28, 2012 20:03

They are saying Isaac is a slow moving pig...
and will basically just park himself over N.O. for the next 12-14 hours...

6-12 inches of rain
6-12 FOOT STORM SURGE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 20:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 28, 2012 21:09

Up tp 20 plus inches of rain in places...

Date: August 28, 2012 21:10

I can't stand it when the TV heads say 'tidal surge' when it's not tidal surge, it's storm surge. There's no such thing as tidal surge - the tide has nothing to do with storm surge.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:14

Date: August 28, 2012 21:22

Ho hum...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 28, 2012 21:40

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I can't stand it when the TV heads say 'tidal surge' when it's not tidal surge, it's storm surge. There's no such thing as tidal surge - the tide has nothing to do with storm surge.

Partially agree... While I believe you're right that there's no such thing as a "tidal surge", I believe that I remember hearing various times that a "storm surge" can be worse at high tide than low tide. Also, I believe that the "storm surge" can be effected by tide's moving in or out at the time the storm hits (that memory is a bit fuzzier). It's been a few years since I had to pay attention to the stuff but 15 years of Nor'Easters in New England have left their marks on the memory.

Regardless: Hope that all in the path of Isaac (and any other storms this season) come out safe & dry.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 28, 2012 21:43

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I think they are talking about how low tide and high tide affects how high the water gets... I think if the pressure drops (because of the hurricane) causing strom surge at the same time as high tide it will be worse than if it happen at low tide.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home