Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: who went to see The Rolling Stones in Concert 1981?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 30, 2012 03:19

filstan
Did the two shows in Boulder and the Silverdome gig. Boulder was a fun weekend indeed.
Yes it wassmileys with beer

Seems like more people here have Boulder in common than any other show, maybe because it was early in the tour... and within driving distance(we drove the 400 miles)... and 2 shows.

Posted by: SanctifiedMind ()
Date: August 30, 2012 07:03

I was there. Thought it was great that MT showed up. Had good floor seats. George Thorogood opened.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: August 30, 2012 09:09

Saw them in Cleveland. First saw then (also in cleveland) in 1978; at that time, I had just graduated from high school and some friends and I actually rented a bus to take us to the show at the stadium! Fantastic time, and while the show is usually bashed for one reason or another, we loved it. Peter Tosh and Kansas opened for them, I believe. I've never been a kansas fan and alas, not yet into reggae at the time. But the Stones did their thing and it was sloppy, chaotic, and great.

Fast forward to '81. This time, I'm in college in Ohio and a couple friends were going and I hitched a ride. Found some cheap ticket but since I was alone I had flexibility to move around, and just walked up toward the front (though still on the sides). Loved the show. Etta James opened - one of only a handful of shows that she played at. stones came on and that was that. I remember that it seemed very fast, like everything was speeded up, and I've always had that impression that the '81 tour was played very fast, until I started relistening to the Hampton release and realized that wasn't really the case.

My overall impression of the '81 tour, though, is that after the sloppiness of the '78 shows, they - meaning Jagger, I guess - wanted to raise the production level, the overall professionalism of the tour. He was fit, if ridiculous looking, and you could see the first signs of the regimentation that would define the later tours. Even though 8 years passed b/w 81 and '89, you can see the '81 (and '82) shows as the end of one era, but also laying the groundwork for the next phase as well.

But was it a gas, gas gas? Hell yeah!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 30, 2012 12:58

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
I took this picture up there...

Awesome shot...definitely during Jumpin Jack Flash.
My absolute favorite part of all 1981 shows...

fantastic shot,Max...

Date: August 30, 2012 13:07

shortfatfanny
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity

fantastic shot,Max...

Thank you very much SFF, my pleasure to share.

Back in the old days of 35 mm film when one had to take film into the processing place, and had to wait days (sometimes a week) and then there was that moment of truth... as one opened the package... and hoped for the best.... and sometimes... like with the above shot.. it was elation smiling smiley

Other times, other shows... when not one dang picture would turn out and it was back to the drawing board.

These days I consider digital cameras (and being able to check shots immediately) to be truely a modern miracle... and facts be known these little cameras ability to capture video and audio... simply amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-30 13:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 30, 2012 18:19

shortfatfanny
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity

fantastic shot,Max...

Sure is. Looks like your sitting right at their feet (were you)?

Date: August 30, 2012 18:31

2000 LYFH
shortfatfanny
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity

fantastic shot,Max...

Sure is. Looks like your sitting right at their feet (were you)?
Yes we were.... well were standing right in front of them

Towards the end of shows (in the good old days) security used to leave the floor, welcoming everyone to flood the floor... and we did... and we wound up front row... right in front of Keith... for the last 4 songs... It was very Satisfying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-30 18:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: August 30, 2012 19:50

I was at opening night of this tour, Woody and I had a blast!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 30, 2012 20:28

dewlover
I was at opening night of this tour, Woody and I had a blast!!

You where the only ones who had a blast for sure!

Mathijs

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 30, 2012 22:37

I thought the 81 shows were refreshing. Made me think that 80's music might amount to something...a fleeting and inaccurate thought as it turned out. peace

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 30, 2012 22:42

Naturalust
I thought the 81 shows were refreshing. Made me think that 80's music might amount to something...a fleeting and inaccurate thought as it turned out. peace

true, but it's the thought that counts

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 2, 2012 04:35

I skipped school on November 30, 1981.
That day changed my life forever...

Date: September 2, 2012 04:39

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-02 16:48 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 2, 2012 06:05

This happened twice at the L.A. Coliseum. Not even Keith Richards could stop the crowd from booing Prince off the stage. Then again, Prince was wearing just a pair of underwear.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 2, 2012 12:01

"Prince was wearing just a pair of underwear"

Black ones?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 2, 2012 14:40

tipps
I saw em in Buffalo first then Detroit then Syracuse..all awesome show and had great seats at the front. In Syracuse Keith had recognized I was following them round the country and he winked at me. I really loved Buffalo show, Journey were one of the headliners.

I was also at Buffalo, and the second Syracuse show. Both great shows, though I preferred Syracuse just because Buffalo was a day show without lights. It was also the best sound I had ever heard in Carrier Dome.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 2, 2012 17:48

I recall everyone scrambling for tickets because this had to be the Stones final concert tour. No matter what you had to see them because "this is it". And of course, 1989 was no different. I got the feeling that the stones 2013 tour will be the same (noway are these 4 concerts the last we will see of them). Long live the Stones...

Date: September 2, 2012 17:57

Long live the Stones!!

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:50

I attended three shows

St. Paul, fans booed the opening act Stray Cats, Jagger later makes a joke about how the Cats and the Stones both played Eddy Cochran covers...

Two shows in Chicago, Rosemount Horizon, one of the shows, a bunch of Hefner's Playboy bunnies from the manison show up in their bunny outfits and sit in the front row.

Thought it was a decent tour, better than the 1978 tour I saw in Mpls but was really dissapointed when I saw LADIES & GENTLEMEN in a movie theatre in the summer of 1982. After watching that version of the Stones, I knew I had been ripped off by not seeing Taylor in person.

Cheers

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: September 3, 2012 18:10

New Orleans LA Super Dome December 5th 1981 was my first Stones show totally awesome and saw them in 1989 and 1994 after those shows they never came back

drummer_dude

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:40

Naturalust

The Police were amazing.
Neil & Tim Finn wrote some fantastic stuff too.

John Hiatt's best output was 1986-1989

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: October 7, 2012 03:03

I went to the second day in Boulder. my first stones show. I remember when Heart was on, 2 helicopters flew in & landed backstage & everyone, assuming it was the stones, lost patience with heart & started shouting for the stones. I was 16 years old & I hitch-hiked from KC to Boulder to see them. Later I bought tix for Cedar Falls @ $125 each. Then they added the 2 shows in KC late into the tour. Saw the first night @ Kemper arena with Mick Taylor. I had $21.00 tickets with limited view stamped on them.the tickets were a mail in deal & they had enough requests to sell out kemper 7 or 8 times over. My seats were right beside the stage on Keiths side. the view was limited because there was a platform (that Jagger used a couple of times) right in front of my seat. I stood on my seat as Mick went over in the cherry picker & jumped up & grabbed a handful of crepe paper that was hanging off the bottom of it. I kept that & a couple of balloons for like 20 years.After the show I was stranded & waiting for a cab & an elderly black lady who worked in the restaurant downstairs saw me wandering around in an LSD haze & she said " I heard about that Mick Jagger but hes just a little guy ! all wigglin' he ass around ... you like that stuff? That encounter has always stuck with me ....wigglin' he ass around...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 7, 2012 05:44

Los Angeles show I was there.. 1981. Prince. George Thorogood and J Geils opened. Great show.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 9, 2012 16:59

Kurt
I skipped school on November 30, 1981.
That day changed my life forever...

Me and Johnny - Rick Springfield

Lookin' back I'd say we broke a few rules
Left one or two hearts in a ruin
Spent all that precious time doin'
Things we figured that Presley might have done

Stole a few cars, never got caught
Started some fights in the scrimmage
We got caught up in the image
Of playing young rebels by the handbook

Looking back I guess we had some attitude
We were gonna be hard and tough

Me and Johnny
We're gonna play tonight
It's gonna be alright
We're gonna shine

Look in the mirror watch our faces change
We were gonna be McCartney clones
We skipped school to see the Rolling Stones
And sang their songs on the train on our way home

We were gonna be like all of them
Uncompromising to the very end
Live for girls, guitars and glory
And someday they'd write our story

Sometimes I think that they clapped in sympathy
But we were gonna be hard and tough

Me and Johnny
We're gonna play tonight
It's gonna be alright
We're gonna have some fun tonight
Me and Johnny
We may get blood on our face
We're gonna have our place
In the sun

Johnny's still living, back in Australia
I hear he's got himself a wife and kids
And I'm still chasing whatever it is
That put me out here on the road in the first place

I think of the times, I cursed out loud
Wishin' I was still runnin' with the same old crowd
Sometimes it can make you cry
Just watching the years roll by

Me and Johnny
We're gonna play tonight
It's gonna be alright
We're gonna have fun tonight
Me and Johnny
We may get blood on our face
We're gonna have our place
In the sun

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 9, 2012 18:16

I went to that opening gig at JFK Stadium, Philly and although they were sloppy in parts, it wasn't as bad as some say. At least the crowd was better behaved and it was a warm sunny Sept day. I ate ice cones and enjoyed it quite a lot. Mick got up in the cherry picker right over my head, and I love Tatoo You so all in all, it was a great day.
I saw them later on that same '81 tour in Nov in Hartford, Garland Jefferies opened ( WHO?) and they were quite a bit tighter and the sound was awesome. That old Hartford Civic Center was a wonderful venue for the Stones. Sonny Rollins was the guest sax player, what a treat on " Waiting On A Friend"!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 9, 2012 18:25

mickschix
that opening gig at JFK Stadium, Philly ... it wasn't as bad as some say.

Oh yes it was

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 9, 2012 19:47

schillid
mickschix

Oh yes it was

it was charming, though. ronnie was particularly charming whilst playing in wrong key on let it bleed. this might have been the most charming stones ever....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 9, 2012 20:08

StonesTod
schillid
mickschix
Oh yes it was
ronnie was particularly charming whilst playing in wrong key on let it bleed.

I recall that during Let It Bleed, Ronnie was playing in the right key (C), but the problem was that he forgot the proper chord changes... Prompting Mick to stop the song in the middle and say something like "No, Ron... it goes back to C there." To which Ronnie replied something like, "I thought it goes to F there..." Mick: "No, C."

Date: October 9, 2012 20:22

Where's waldo?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:59

November 10, 1981 Hartford Civic Center still to this day the most exciting concert i've ever been to. The Stones were in their late thirties and early forties and it was rumored to be "the last time" they would tour and in a sense the 81-82 was the last time they toured as a working band. It was an incredilble time, skipped school and drove to Hartford with teo buddies loved every minute of it. Almost sold the ticket though someone offered me $500.00 and I declined and said we need to go in now before I change my mind. I'm still glad I went to the show!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home