Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: who went to see The Rolling Stones in Concert 1981?
Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: August 25, 2012 23:51

ChrisM
gripweed
I saw them at Candlestick Park on Oct 17, 1981... the first concert held their since that band from Liverpool played there last ever offivcial concert... they opened with Under my Thumb... we were about 15 yards from the stage, center up... J Geils and GT opened... we came to see the Stones... it was great!
Crap gripweed,I must have been right next to you! My first ever Stones show! And Munich Hilton and No Expectations were there as well! Right on!

Chris, we got their the night before the concert... left right after work from Salinas... me & about 5 other guys... got into the parking lot around midnight, thought we'd be "early" - NOT!! there was already this LONG line at the gates (General admission baby!) and we were sort od bummED out, but then the traffic cops waved us towardws the far side of the Stadium parking lot, behind where left& centerfield would have been... they were JUST opening up that side of the Stadium to parking!! grinning smiley - So, we got out of the cars and were probably 15-20 people from the gate!! we brought our ice chest, food & weed & proceeded to party the rest of the night... probably slept an hour or two... it was so much fun... we met some great people that night & day... my FIRST of five Stones shows too... oh, to be 20 again... :/

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 26, 2012 00:00

I had been trying to go home from college in 1981 for a long time as I hated Norfolk and ODU and everything about it. I found a ride board ride in Norfolk home to Maryland for the weekend to see my boyfriend in a volkswagen with a girl with long blonde hair that was smoking marlboros. We drove by the Norfolk stadium before the Stones concert and there was a huge crowd and I asked driver if she wanted to drive by and she said, no we don't have time. I really wnated to go but I didn't have the $. My thought was we could hang out in the parking lot. but not to be. Big regret of mine.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 26, 2012 00:14

gripweed
ChrisM
gripweed
I saw them at Candlestick Park on Oct 17, 1981... the first concert held their since that band from Liverpool played there last ever offivcial concert... they opened with Under my Thumb... we were about 15 yards from the stage, center up... J Geils and GT opened... we came to see the Stones... it was great!
Crap gripweed,I must have been right next to you! My first ever Stones show! And Munich Hilton and No Expectations were there as well! Right on!

Chris, we got their the night before the concert... left right after work from Salinas... me & about 5 other guys... got into the parking lot around midnight, thought we'd be "early" - NOT!! there was already this LONG line at the gates (General admission baby!) and we were sort od bummED out, but then the traffic cops waved us towardws the far side of the Stadium parking lot, behind where left& centerfield would have been... they were JUST opening up that side of the Stadium to parking!! grinning smiley - So, we got out of the cars and were probably 15-20 people from the gate!! we brought our ice chest, food & weed & proceeded to party the rest of the night... probably slept an hour or two... it was so much fun... we met some great people that night & day... my FIRST of five Stones shows too... oh, to be 20 again... :/

Wow! Oct 17th was my first stones show as well and I had the exact same experiance as you guys,about 10 of my friends got to the stick the night before, partied all night even got interviwed by a local news channel. Oh to be 17 again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 03:12 by Ket.

Date: August 26, 2012 00:15

I was in Atlanta in the fall of that year, and they were going to play the Fox; a wonderful theatre. But it is pretty small, so Stonestix were hard to come by. What happened was that they put the tix on sale in the middle of the night. I think it was announced on some radio station. But it tuned out that all the college students were awake because they were studying. So they snapped up virtually all the tickets. there was a huge lottery/bidding war/auction going on based around a big bulletin board in Ga State College. They would stay in contact with each other to see where the market price was at the moment. The show was great, great. IMO it was the best I ever saw them. And it was HOT.

Few weeks later I drove through 4-5 states down to New Orleans with 4 friends. One girl had a purse loaded full of uppers; good thing too because that city was in a frenzy. It was packed in the Quarter and all anyone talked about was "The Show". We had consumed plenty of alcohol by the time we got into the Dome. I remember it being winter time, but during Thorogood's set they came out with firehoses and drenched the crowd. It was so hot that this massive steam rose.
The Stones did their set well, but I have to say that more than anything I dug the Neville Bros. In their hometown, with Indians, chanting - it was a wild set.
The weekend was crazy; no sleep, and as much as the Stones one heard J Geils Band and "Centerfold" coming out of speakers.

It was weird that in the tour of so many outdoor shows I saw them twice indoors. I have to say that the earlier in their career I saw them - the better it was. (My first show was in 78).

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 00:26

tumbled
I had been trying to go home from college in 1981 for a long time as I hated Norfolk and ODU and everything about it. I found a ride board ride in Norfolk home to Maryland for the weekend to see my boyfriend in a volkswagen with a girl with long blonde hair that was smoking marlboros. We drove by the Norfolk stadium before the Stones concert and there was a huge crowd and I asked driver if she wanted to drive by and she said, no we don't have time. I really wnated to go but I didn't have the $. My thought was we could hang out in the parking lot. but not to be. Big regret of mine.

That's too bad. We'll have to put you down as a No.

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: August 26, 2012 01:15

Was at one of the MSG shows with Screamin Jay Hawkins.

I was stoned so maybe it was the weed, but I felt like they were carictature of a themsleves.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: August 26, 2012 02:07

Saw them four times starting with the second Bolder show. Didn't care much for Heart and layed down during their set to avoid the shreeking vocals. George Thorogood was a nice feature, I think it was part of his 50 states in 50 dates tour. I thought the Stones were great and managed to get my camera in and get some good pictures up front before being spotted by security and having to ease back into the crowd before the got to me. St. Paul was the next show with the Stray Cats opening ( before they made it big in the states ) and local band Lamont Cranston. Off to the side of the stage but only about 20 rows back. Enjoyed it much more than Bolder. Last was 2 nights in Chicago with Neville Brothers opening. By now I knew their set and raced upstairs and behind the stage to get a great photo going up in his cherry picker and waving to those in the blind seat section. !981 was the first commercial tour being sponsored by Jovon and maybe was the last before they started piling crap all over the stage like inflatables and such. Overall I liked the 1978 tour more because it was simple, band on stage and rocking out with the music at the forefront. I have to say that I have never seen a bad Stones concert although some were better than others. Also some nights Mick carried the show and others the band was the driving force.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 26, 2012 03:04

Second Seattle show, Oct. 15th. We had a bunch of 300 level tickets and one floor. I got to watch J. Geils on the floor, and they were great. Had to go back up top for the Stones. They were great as well, of course, but the sound was pretty murky up in the rafters.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 26, 2012 03:28

love reading all the posts,thanks for sharing

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: August 26, 2012 04:00

schillid i was at the show you were at,and i thought stones were incredible.for the record thorogood opened,journey got pelted with bottles and can,stones came out and conquuered,the atmoshere throughout the night and peformance was incredible,as witnessed in pinkfloyd the barbers post.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: August 26, 2012 06:43

I saw em in Buffalo first then Detroit then Syracuse..all awesome show and had great seats at the front. In Syracuse Keith had recognized I was following them round the country and he winked at me. I really loved Buffalo show, Journey were one of the headliners.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 26, 2012 07:05

mighty stork
I thought the Stones were great and managed to get my camera in and get some good pictures up front before being spotted by security and having to ease back into the crowd before the got to me.

FUNNY!!! Same thing happened to me... smiling smiley I snuck my 35 mm camera body in one sock and the zoom lens in the other sock... we had to pass by 3 entrances until we found an easy looking one.... we got in and hit the floor.... up close...

We were having a blast... I actually liked both Heart and George... Nancy was looking and sounding HOT!!... but they knew what the score was... Ann saying things like .... "OK OK, we know who you are here for, we'll be off in another couple of songs" or something like that... I laughed... and gained respect for them....

I lost track of the buddy whom I went to the show with somewhere up front on the floor... but I found 5,000 new best friends... what a party!! what a great day... great weather... I tried to stay up close.... rocking with The Stones... keeping an eye on the band and an eye on security who were scanning the crowd (for booze bottles and cameras) like a wayward sailor scanning the horizon for dry land.... I saw them run into the crowd pulling cameras and bottles like crazy...

I would move to a good spot, be having a lot of fun... see a good shot opportunity for a picture... pull up the camera... grab the shot... and then see a security gorilla pointing right at me... I would DIVE DIVE!! like a submarine dropping down below the crowd line.... Id start moving... put on (or take off) my hat and then surface 20 feet over... Id meet some more of my new friends, have a party and keep on rocking out.... then on one of my last moves, towards the end of the show, I surfaced right next to my buddy whom I went to the show with... had a blast... it was awesome.

As I have said many times... I would happily go back in time (to 1-2 week before that concert) and live my life over and over again... from September 15th 1981 to April 10th 2008... and I would not change a thing.

Here is one on my fav shots.... I bet you have a few that look just like this.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 07:18 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 26, 2012 07:29

I was at the Tempe show where they filmed much of Let's Spend The Night Together. Great show. I remember Bill being especially "on".

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 26, 2012 10:09

First Seattle show, travelled all day to get there. The huge concrete bunker known as the Kingdome; sound was pretty bad up where I was. Had a few mystery meat things they called the "King-Dog".

I was just so happy to actually be at a Rolling Stones show for the first time.

The audience was so much younger then. Lots of young teenagers, even though the band was near 40 - or older, as in Bill's case. In fact, Bill was probably scouting out a new girlfriend or two!eye popping smiley

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 26, 2012 14:43

Jack Murphy Stadium. Great new album and fantastic setlist. Loved every minute of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 14:45 by leteyer.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 26, 2012 15:44

82 . .
The Frankfurt indoor shows were interesting.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 16:12

Max'sKansasCity
mighty stork
I thought the Stones were great and managed to get my camera in and get some good pictures up front before being spotted by security and having to ease back into the crowd before the got to me.

FUNNY!!! Same thing happened to me... smiling smiley I snuck my 35 mm camera body in one sock and the zoom lens in the other sock... we had to pass by 3 entrances until we found an easy looking one.... we got in and hit the floor.... up close...

We were having a blast... I actually liked both Heart and George... Nancy was looking and sounding HOT!!... but they knew what the score was... Ann saying things like .... "OK OK, we know who you are here for, we'll be off in another couple of songs" or something like that... I laughed... and gained respect for them....

I lost track of the buddy whom I went to the show with somewhere up front on the floor... but I found 5,000 new best friends... what a party!! what a great day... great weather... I tried to stay up close.... rocking with The Stones... keeping an eye on the band and an eye on security who were scanning the crowd (for booze bottles and cameras) like a wayward sailor scanning the horizon for dry land.... I saw them run into the crowd pulling cameras and bottles like crazy...

I would move to a good spot, be having a lot of fun... see a good shot opportunity for a picture... pull up the camera... grab the shot... and then see a security gorilla pointing right at me... I would DIVE DIVE!! like a submarine dropping down below the crowd line.... Id start moving... put on (or take off) my hat and then surface 20 feet over... Id meet some more of my new friends, have a party and keep on rocking out.... then on one of my last moves, towards the end of the show, I surfaced right next to my buddy whom I went to the show with... had a blast... it was awesome.

As I have said many times... I would happily go back in time (to 1-2 week before that concert) and live my life over and over again... from September 15th 1981 to April 10th 2008... and I would not change a thing.

Here is one on my fav shots.... I bet you have a few that look just like this.

Interesting story Max. I got the same picture but the hand looks slightly different. Yeah, wouldn't we all love to go back in time and re-live parts of our life - Am I out of line to ask what happened on April 11th 2008 (you don't have to answer)!

Date: August 26, 2012 17:15

2000 LYFH
Interesting story Max. I got the same picture but the hand looks slightly different. Yeah, wouldn't we all love to go back in time and re-live parts of our life - Am I out of line to ask what happened on April 11th 2008 (you don't have to answer)!
If you show us your picture ( "I got the same picture but the hand looks slightly different" ) then I will tell. smiling smiley I love seeing pictures which look just like my pictures, but slighlty different. It was a perfect day for pictures... perfect lighting.

PS
"re-live parts of our life"...

Just parts? ... Man I would live that entire segment again and again...
actually I thought I was... until April 12 2008 rolled over....
it was then that I knew I probably couldnt go back and do it again again

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 26, 2012 17:35

schillid
I did... Philadelphia 1st show of the tour.
Bad show, lots of mistakes. A total mess.
WORST PERFORMANCE BY THE STONES (OR ANY BAND) EVER.

+1

I remember them trying to play Let it bleed. They had to start it over three or four times. The timing was way off, it was like they were each playing a different song. I was right up front and people were booing and Keith gave them the finger. You could see he was upset and angry. I even recall him saying he regretted that performance.

A few years later Keith, Woody and Dylan played live aid in Philly also. That was another performance I watched in horror. It wasen't until the next opening day of Steel Wheels in 89 that they redeemed themselves. But even during that show there was a power outage right at the very end of shattered which was the third song that delayed the show about 15 minutes. I thought to myself that the Stones were jinxed in Philly, but then the lights came back on and the rest of the show was magic.

Open Day Philly 81.....George Thorogood and Journey were the opening acts.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 26, 2012 17:51

No I didn't .............I just had my first child ..second was coming and the rest was following ....so no Stones concerts in the 80's for me........but I have YouTube to catch up what I missed

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 26, 2012 18:51

Saw both boulder shows and tempe. Nice foto max'skc. Show us some more. All you ever hear about is the stupid football pants but that day mick came on stage with the green chaps with fringe, orange jacket, twirling an umbrella. He's never looked better. By the time he'd stripped down to the football pants (in a football stadium) it was cool. Pure Jagger. Not to mention climbing the scaffolding and hanging upside down on the ropes. Those first boulder shows are burned into my memory. I could go on & on about that weekend... Under My Thumb! Left a print indeed.

Date: August 26, 2012 18:59

thumbprint
Saw both boulder shows and tempe. Nice foto max'skc. Show us some more. All you ever hear about is the stupid football pants but that day mick came on stage with the green chaps with fringe, orange jacket, twirling an umbrella. He's never looked better. By the time he'd stripped down to the football pants (in a football stadium) it was cool. Pure Jagger. Not to mention climbing the scaffolding and hanging upside down on the ropes. Those first boulder shows are burned into my memory. I could go on & on about that weekend... Under My Thumb! Left a print indeed.
Dont forget the cherry picker... it is now recalled as cheesy.. but when it happened and he was right above us it was kind of cool. And... I was never much of a fan of UMT, until that tour... but it always brings a smile to face to hear it anytime... like how about right now

I would post more Stones pix, but I dont them at easy reach... they are in a box somewhere... but I have always kept that picture in a box with 10-15 of my other primo concert photos which I dry mounted on 8x10 foam board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 19:00 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:08

My parents wouldn't let me cross the border to go see the Kingdome show.

Waaah!

Date: August 26, 2012 19:17

treaclefingers

Waaah!

They had to protect you... who knows what would have happened if you went, you might have grown up to be a huge Stones fan and wind up spending way too much posting on Rolling Stones message boards later in your life.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:30

My dad told me not to go too. But, like Joel in Risky Business, sometimes you gotta say "what the f*^k".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2012 21:17

2000 LYFH
I saw them in Orlando, Fl on Sunday, October 25 at the Tangerine Bowl. $15 per ticket (man was that expensive).

The Henry Paul Band and Van Halen opened (could see Eddie's wife Valarie Bertinelli on the side of the stage). Was down on the field about in the middle and thought this will do. When the Stones came on, the field became a mob scene and could not see anything. Walked up into the stands and sat in an aisle (glad I had my Binoculars with me)! I thought it was a good show, but memory is fading from 31 years ago.

Came up on Saturday and hotel scene was a real party - all Stones fans.

Found this:

[therockfile.wordpress.com]

Some additional 1981 stories:

[www.iorr.org]

My story exactly. We spend Saturday night in Daytona and drove over for the show. My 1st Stones show. Highlights (for me) were:

Under My Thumb - 1st time seeing Mick althoug I had seen the New Barbarians in 1979.
Time Is On My Side - great sing-a-long
Street Fighting Man - Keith was really pumping that right arm.

The show was sloppy and loose, but wonderful fun!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2012 23:42

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

They had to protect you... who knows what would have happened if you went, you might have grown up to be a huge Stones fan and wind up spending way too much posting on Rolling Stones message boards later in your life.

true, true...DOH!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 26, 2012 23:52

MisterO
schillid
I did... Philadelphia 1st show of the tour.
Bad show, lots of mistakes. A total mess.
WORST PERFORMANCE BY THE STONES (OR ANY BAND) EVER.

+1

I remember them trying to play Let it bleed.

TRAIN WRECK!

Paraphrased:
Mick: "Stop... It's goes to C there."
Woody: "I thought it goes to F..."
Mick: "No... it's C"

Yikes!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 26, 2012 23:55

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

true, true...DOH!

Didja ever finally get to see RUSH? They're a national treasure...

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 27, 2012 01:10

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

Waaah!

I was on a bus down to the Kingdome from BC and all you needed in those days was some sort of ID - it didn't take much. One kid opened his wallet and a joint rolled out in right front of the US Border guys..and they let him get back on the bus! Which incidentally was carrying a lot of already-stoned Canadian concert goers with pot on them. Very different days back then...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home