Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 16
Re: The Beatles were better than the Rolling stones
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:53

His Majesty
buffalo7478
If we are comparing their output from the 60s, the Beatles win, hands down. The Stones were the better band by the time the Beatles officially imploded....and we will never know what would have happened had the Beatles stayed together till 1974 or 75. If you look at Lennon and McCartney's 70s output, the music is nowhere in the vicinity of what The Stones were doing.

The ex Beatles first few solo albums are amazing(except Ringo's). Easily on par and/or above the stones at their supposed peak circa 1970 - 1972.

They all sucked by 1974.

Not sure I agre that they all sucked by 74. Paul had just released Band on the Run in December of 73. So was riding hi on that album through most of 74. He released Mrs. Vanderbelt, Jet and Band on the Run singles in 74. And he released the fantastic single Juniors Fram (scorching tune!) So he was on the ascent.
Lennon meanwhile released imo one of his best albums in 1974, Walls and Bridges! A fantastic gritty funk New York rock album full of pain, dispare, and light romanticism. All of Lennon's best psyches wrapped into one album.
Harrison's Dark Horse was a bit of a let down, but still had some interesting moments. But yes, not as good as his last two albums. And the tour that accompanied that album was not very good. He had blown out his voice.
Ringo release Goodnight Vienna, not a great album. But not terrible. I do think if they had reformed in 74, both Paul and John would have brought some very interesting material to the group.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:57

whitem8
His Majesty
buffalo7478
If we are comparing their output from the 60s, the Beatles win, hands down. The Stones were the better band by the time the Beatles officially imploded....and we will never know what would have happened had the Beatles stayed together till 1974 or 75. If you look at Lennon and McCartney's 70s output, the music is nowhere in the vicinity of what The Stones were doing.

The ex Beatles first few solo albums are amazing(except Ringo's). Easily on par and/or above the stones at their supposed peak circa 1970 - 1972.

They all sucked by 1974.

Not sure I agre that they all sucked by 74. Paul had just released Band on the Run in December of 73. So was riding hi on that album through most of 74. He released Mrs. Vanderbelt, Jet and Band on the Run singles in 74. And he released the fantastic single Juniors Fram (scorching tune!) So he was on the ascent.
Lennon meanwhile released imo one of his best albums in 1974, Walls and Bridges! A fantastic gritty funk New York rock album full of pain, dispare, and light romanticism. All of Lennon's best psyches wrapped into one album.
Harrison's Dark Horse was a bit of a let down, but still had some interesting moments. But yes, not as good as his last two albums. And the tour that accompanied that album was not very good. He had blown out his voice.
Ringo release Goodnight Vienna, not a great album. But not terrible. I do think if they had reformed in 74, both Paul and John would have brought some very interesting material to the group.

Cool, so even in 1974 they were better, the album IORR is not that hard to be better than though. grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:06

John and George started out gangbusters and rapidly declined over their next couple albums. Mind Games is unlistenable and I don't think I know a Harrison album after Living In The Material World. Paul kept climbing, on through the Wings tour in '76 before descending into silliness. I don't really care what Ringo did.

Date: August 27, 2012 04:24

Ahh, but for me Mind Games is a underlooked jem with some great songs on it! You are Here, Aussisumen, and I Know are fantastic songs! Beautiful, touching and full of passion. Meat City! Whew another classic Lennon rocker. Tight A$$ is a great rockabily roust about, like only Lennon can do. Great album! And yes, Silly Love Songs isn't a great album, mostly because he let the other Wings sing on it! But his songs were good, Beware My Love, Let em In, but the rest is pretty bad, accept for Denny Laine's Time to Hide, great song. After that was Wings Over America, a great live album, and then London Town, which also is a good album. More softer, but interesting. And then Back to the Egg, and the Wings were done.
Yes, George suffered with his stuff. 33 and 1/3 is very good. And so is George Harrison. But Extra Texture and Gone Troppo are pretty lifeless, as is Somewhere in England. He recovered with Cloud Nine and Brainwashed.
Ringo. Don't have any of his albums other than Ringo and Beaucap of Blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 04:31 by whitem8.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:26

His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

I'm very intressted in what ablum from 1974 that possibly could be better than John Lennons 'Walls and Bridges'? 'It's only rock'n'roll´is no good suggestion for example...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2012 09:35

Come On
His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

I'm very intressted in what ablum from 1974 that possibly could be better than John Lennons 'Walls and Bridges'? 'It's only rock'n'roll´is no good suggestion for example...grinning smiley

King Crimson - Red.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 27, 2012 09:47

Munichhilton
Dammit. I just spilled a keystone
I dont spill beer often, but when I do, I make sure its a keystone grinning smiley

Date: August 27, 2012 09:57

Come On
His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

I've Got My Own Album To Do. Still one of my favourites thumbs up

Date: August 27, 2012 10:27

DandelionPowderman
Come On
His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

I've Got My Own Album To Do. Still one of my favourites thumbs up
Damn it, I was just getting ready to post that. somehow there was always good stuff coming out of the Stones camp.
Far as good music in '74? Bob Marley, Roxy Music, Genesis, Gram Parsons,Dylan, Richard & Linda Thompson, Big Star

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 27, 2012 10:57

Come On

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
Neil Young - On The Beach
Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
BTO - Not Fragile

To name a few.

Date: August 27, 2012 11:08

terraplane
Come On

BTO - Not Fragile

To name a few.

Neil Youngs 'On the Beach' is a great one, but Bachman Turner Overdrive...you can't be serious...grinning smiley

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: August 27, 2012 11:57

Come On
His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

On Rate Your Music, Walls and Bridges is ranked no. 293 in 1974. It's only
rock'n'roll is ranked no. 399. I have no idea why Beatles fans would pick a Stones web site to discuss their idols.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 27, 2012 12:03

Come On
terraplane
Come On

BTO - Not Fragile

To name a few.

Neil Youngs 'On the Beach' is a great one, but Bachman Turner Overdrive...you can't be serious...grinning smiley

Yeah I was yanking your chain on that one a bit. Walls & Bridges has 'Whatever Gets YOu Thru The Night' which is really one of Lennon's best ever tracks. "What You Got' is also killer.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 27, 2012 12:09

Are we in 2012 ?
Beatles versus Stones.............. my godness!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 27, 2012 12:21

walkingthedog
Come On
His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

rock'n'roll is ranked no. 399. I have no idea why Beatles fans would pick a Stones web site to discuss their idols.
Easy conclusion 292 to choose from smileys with beer
By the way, W&B didn't get that good critics - mostly an average or "so-so" record.

Date: August 27, 2012 12:30

walkingthedog
Come On
His Majesty
buffalo7478

They all sucked by 1974.

That's the funny thing with a discuss site like this, to discuss music from Stones and other sucessful bands...at least for me...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 14:29

George harrison's first solo output was great. But IF the Beatles were putting out records in 1971-72, would Harrison have gotten more than one song on any of them? As it was a number of his songs had been collecting dust for years while Lennon/McCartney dominated the records.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 27, 2012 16:01

Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Dammit. I just spilled a keystone
I dont spill beer often, but when I do, I make sure its a keystone grinning smiley

You gotta spill what you can afford to spill...

Hang on, I gotta make another nonsense post...be right back

Date: August 27, 2012 16:02

What is up with Isaac? He is so democrat!!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 27, 2012 16:35

Munichhilton
What is up with Isaac? He is so democrat!!!

check out the great lead track on ry cooder's album: mutt romney blues. i think isaac is revenge for mitt's po' mutt.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 27, 2012 19:28

StonesTod
erik never jokes....sometimes he banters, chaffs, deceives, derides, fools, frolics, horses around, jests, jives, jollies, joshes, kids around, makes merry, mocks, needles, plays thes clown, plays tricks, pokes fun, pulls one's leg, puns, puts on, quips, rags, ribs, ridicules, roasts, and spoofs...but NEVER jokes.

rock on, erik...

Oops I've been gone for 2 days - but I see you covered me good. Thanks. Maybe you could have included irritate, but that's all

Date: August 27, 2012 19:29

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
erik never jokes....sometimes he banters, chaffs, deceives, derides, fools, frolics, horses around, jests, jives, jollies, joshes, kids around, makes merry, mocks, needles, plays thes clown, plays tricks, pokes fun, pulls one's leg, puns, puts on, quips, rags, ribs, ridicules, roasts, and spoofs...but NEVER jokes.

rock on, erik...

Oops I've been gone for 2 days - but I see you covered me good. Thanks. Maybe you could have included irritate, but that's all

and testy

Date: August 27, 2012 19:31

walkingthedog
Erik_Snow
mtaylor
walkingthedog
Erik_Snow
Listened through the Beatles albums today, on vinyl. Even the record that is considered a turkey; Let It Be, is far superior to anything RS wanted to do at the time. Nevermind Keith thinking he invented the open G thingy. The Beatles were geniuses, Rolling Stones were just a bunch of wuzzies back then. And they would have continued to be that, if not getting confidence through drugs in the 70s

It's getting dark in northern Norway these days and depression is already setting in.
You nailed it ...smileys with beer

Nailed what? You haven't even been here
Sun is up 20 hours a day here. Way brighter days than what you suckers down south has the cope with. So much for your nailings

Keep on raising toasts to yourself, Per Arne and "walking the dog"s great heads. You got yourself nailed for sure - nailed in your private parts

Just for the record: The sun is up 16 hours 14 minutes in northern Norway (Tromsø) today, decreasing by 9 minutes every day.

20 or 16.....I'm not awake for 20 hours a day, so I wouldn't know. It's up all the time as far as I'm concerned - untill sometime on October.

Date: August 27, 2012 19:54

Come On
terraplane
Come On

BTO - Not Fragile

To name a few.

And he forgot about the greatest album of 1974 (in tough competition with Diamond Dogs) "Planet Waves"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 22:03 by Erik_Snow.

Date: August 28, 2012 02:55

Yeah Diamond Dogs is one of my favs period. One of Bowie's best albums, and one of the best of 74. But Walls and Bridges is fantastic! Yes, it got luke warm reviews in some of the rags, but then, so did Diamond Dogs. And they both have withstood the test of time. Scared is a stunning and epic opera of angst and pain. Dream No. 9 is one of Lennon's best singles, harkening back to the more whimsical psychedelic Beatles sound. And Old Dirt Road is sublime with the slinky intro, and beautiful singing. Great albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 06:08 by whitem8.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: August 28, 2012 05:52

Erik_Snow
Listened through the Beatles albums today, on vinyl. Even the record that is considered a turkey; Let It Be, is far superior to anything RS wanted to do at the time. Nevermind Keith thinking he invented the open G thingy. The Beatles were geniuses, Rolling Stones were just a bunch of wuzzies back then. And they would have continued to be that, if not getting confidence through drugs in the 70s

Dumbest thing I have ever heard. anyone who thinks this is an idiot.

Date: August 28, 2012 06:04

Well I find people who have to shout on the internet and label other people's opinion shouldn't throw stones while living in a glass house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-28 06:16 by whitem8.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:10

This why I chose not to post on this topic. GADAWG though I would agree that Let It Be is nowhere near as good as the big four Erik_Snow is not an idiot for posting his opinion just as Send it to me is doubting the moonlandings on the Neil Armstrong thread. Sendittome may be having deluions and is a skeptic but that does not make him an idiot. I don't understand Erik would go on a Stones board and post this unless he wanted to stir it up is another question. Overall in the studio maybe the Beatles were better song crafters than the Stones does not mean I have to like thos songs better. Also Erik Snow Keith may not have invented open G but he certainly pioneered it and mastered and influenced many guitarists with his mastery of the open G thingy. Why put him down for an important musical contribution?

Date: August 28, 2012 08:21

Talking Bowies Albums, 'Hunky Dory', Ziggy Stardust', '¨Station to Station', 'Low', 'Heroes' and 'Lodger' is the albums I want to talk about. coming to 'Diamond Dogs' it sounded to me like Bowies attempt to make a boring rock-opera ,-, but OK, Rebel Rebel is fine....

2 1 2 0

Date: August 28, 2012 08:52

Sorry Comeon I just can't agrew with you on this. Bowie plays all the guitar and sax on the album, and there are simply amazing songs on it. Sweet Thing alone is worth the price of the album. Big Brother, Rock and Roll with Me, We are the Dead, all fantastic. Hell the entire album is top notch. It is dark, forboding and passionate. And his voice is incredible. And this is where he starts toying with krautrock/funk. Yes, it is a operetic piece, but well worth the efforts it takes on repeated listening. This isn't an easy album to penetrate, but when you do, it reaps a bountifull of satisfying music.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home