Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Im watching Ladies and Gentlemen right now
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 24, 2012 04:18

I just watched Mick Taylor do a guitar solo on you cant always get what you want
how does he know where to put his fingers and how long he should play the solo for is the solo practised or is the solo done on the spur of the moment?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: Im watching Ladies and Gentlemen right now
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 24, 2012 05:09

I'd say mostly rehearsed with a lot of "feel" thrown in.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 24, 2012 05:33

mandu
I just watched Mick Taylor do a guitar solo on you cant always get what you want
how does he know where to put his fingers and how long he should play the solo for is the solo practised or is the solo done on the spur of the moment?

"muscular memory" , [www.google.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 24, 2012 05:37

I'm watching a MILF and Some Guy

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 24, 2012 05:46

schillid

Too much info.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 24, 2012 09:39

schillid

Use a tissue please!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 24, 2012 10:02

Silver Dagger
schillid

Use a tissue please!

And some muscle memory

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 14:55

mandu

Like many of the great rock / blues / jazz musicians, Mick Taylor improvised much of what he played in his solos. I'm sure he had some bits that were worked out in advance, but all you have to do is listen to several bootlegs if you can, pick a song like YCAGWYW and you'll never hear the same exact guitar solo twice, nor is the length always the same. Those were what I call the Stones "jamming tours." When to end the solo and go back to the chorus? Pure intuition betwixt band members who are on top of their game. They signaled each other with eye contact, subtle gestures, etc. Same could be said of Keith or Woody's solos up to '81. Neither as skilled as Taylor but solos were never the same twice, and could vary in length. I have great respect for the gift of improvisation. Musicians who don't have it bore me no matter how technically awesome they may be. I loathe going to a concert and hearing the guitarist duplicate the album solo note for note.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 24, 2012 14:58

[Waiting for His Majesty to post something bizarre]

Date: August 24, 2012 15:03

There are many schools of solo guitar players.

Taylor is almost without exceptions using the scale for what it's worth. He learns a framework within the scale that works, and then do some small variations from night to night.

After some shows, he doesn't even have to look at what he does.

Other players use much less of the pentatonic scale during solos - for instance Keith and Ronnie.

Taylor is very good at finding delicate runs and combinations, imo.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 24, 2012 15:28

Erik_Snow

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 24, 2012 17:39

Erik_Snow

or schillid...

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 17:52

mandu

usually he finishes with a repeated phrase based on the song melody so jagger can come in , or jagger lets know that it is enough with some yeahs or come ons etc.
When jagger is too late or forgets to come in , mick taylor plays some more and comes out with either some wonderful melodic phrase to finish again ( benefit 73 ) or a run of bum notes ( i forget when 73 as well , ithink).

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 24, 2012 18:52

Last night there was an episode of the Wonder Years called Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones. I haven't seen it (yet), but I did DVR it.

Is it worth watching?

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: August 24, 2012 19:02

mandu

Great question! I watched L&G two nights ago and Some Girls Texas last night and was wondering the same thing. Also wonder how they end songs on cue so well. Sometimes they go into a recognizable riff, like on on Just My Imagination, but other times it's much more subtle. My hat's off to 'em.

Date: August 24, 2012 19:19

probably rehearsed as to the number of bars the solo goes for

which could be changed at any time, kinda like a quarterback calling an audible at the line of scrimmage

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 24, 2012 19:33

stonesnow
Silver Dagger
schillid

Use a tissue please!

And some muscle memory

Hah!

Date: August 24, 2012 19:35

As DP said, Taylor is a master of the scale. He mostly uses the pentatonic blues scale but his dignature is throwing in some "in between" notes that give his solos a more melodic feel. In YCAGWYW, he alternates between the major (gritty, bluesy) and minor (country-ish) scales, at least in '73, doing a complete solo in each. Fantastic.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 24, 2012 21:32

When you play as often and as for long as any great musician like Taylor has, the ability to improvise becomes instinctive and one does not even have to think about it. It comes with knowing your instrument and knowing what the song is saying...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 22:04

Someone put together a disc of Taylor solos on that song. It was called Let The Preacher Do The Preachin' (or something like that). It is an academic (pedantic?) exercise if you are not a guitar player. But it was worth a listen to a point. What does Taylor keep night after night and what are the variations? The solo also changed from '72 to '73.

I think there is a general time allotment, but ultimately Jagger calls the shots on stage. Taylor will play as long as you let him and he is a master at wrapping it up on a dime. When he gets the word it is time to quit his final on the spot notes are often amazing.

I have said before that the 9/8/73, 1st performance of the song is my favorite. I'd bet that it is Taylor's longest on stage solo with the band. Keys is gone. There is no sax solo. It's all Taylor. The connection between Taylor and Jagger is very evident during that performance. Play that guitar boy!

Date: August 24, 2012 22:56

71Tele
In YCAGWYW, he alternates between the major (gritty, bluesy) and minor (country-ish) scales, at least in '73, doing a complete solo in each. Fantastic.

Seems yah forgot to take your anti-confusion pills.

Date: August 25, 2012 02:12

when Angus Young does his solos he just blows me away,the one he does on the river plate dvd.WOW

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: August 25, 2012 04:34

His Majesty
71Tele
In YCAGWYW, he alternates between the major (gritty, bluesy) and minor (country-ish) scales, at least in '73, doing a complete solo in each. Fantastic.

The only confusing thing is your post.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 25, 2012 05:35

mandu
when Angus Young does his solos he just blows me away,the one he does on the river plate dvd.WOW
huhconfused smiley

Date: August 25, 2012 05:41

sorry did know what happend then i was thinking about somthing else

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: August 25, 2012 11:20

71Tele
His Majesty
71Tele

The only confusing thing is your post.

lol.

Date: November 29, 2012 03:17

On Palladia channel right now. And.... next on Palladia tonight is Ziggy Stardust and eight legged ones from the red planet..... for anyone interested in that type of thing

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:10

Max'sKansasCity
On Palladia channel right now. And.... next on Palladia tonight is Ziggy Stardust and eight legged ones from the red planet..... for anyone interested in that type of thing

Hey Max, I was just watching Muddy Waters and the Stones at Checkerboard Lounge from PBS, then caught the end of L&G on Palladia. Now I've got the PBS Muddy/Stones show, Crossfire Hurricane, and Ladies and Gentlemen on the DVR. There's been a slew of great Rolling Stones films/concerts airing in the past month. Family is getting mad cause I've taken over the DVR, but, hey, it's the Stones!

Date: November 29, 2012 04:26

latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

Hey Max, I was just watching Muddy Waters and the Stones at Checkerboard Lounge from PBS, then caught the end of L&G on Palladia. Now I've got the PBS Muddy/Stones show, Crossfire Hurricane, and Ladies and Gentlemen on the DVR. There's been a slew of great Rolling Stones films/concerts airing in the past month. Family is getting mad cause I've taken over the DVR, but, hey, it's the Stones!
FUN!! and fun is a good thing to have.

HAPPY STONES SEASON!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 04:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home