Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

2012 Stones
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:42

I know there are a million topics on this year's/week's happenings, but I thought I had to say something. After reviewing several YouTube videos, I admit I am impressed. The band sounds tight - not overly polished, but strong. Keith is finally, after all these years, letting guitar playing take precedence over posing it seems. His "Sympathy" solo, while nothing for the record books, is easily the best go he has had at it in more than a decade. And what really strikes me is the attention they all seem to be paying to being more faithful to the original arrangements of the older songs (like "Get Off My Cloud")

I am still annoyed with the exclusionary ticket prices, but I gotta say that this looks like a great show - good playing, awesome stage, equal balance of musicianship and showmanship (at least from what I can see/hear). This is a band I thought I would never see again, after the Bigger Bang tour, when I thought they really had lost the ability to deliver the goods - so it's good to have them back. This is the best Stones we can hope to get at this age, but the early indicators seem to say it's a pretty damn good incarnation of the Stones. Way to send themselves off in style.

Now how's about some fair ticket prices and a bigger touring schedule, fellas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 01:45 by theimposter.

Re: 2012 Stones
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:52

I as well am pleased with what they've put together. I never thought I'd see the band actually look for ways to improve their performances and it seems like they did. Keith seemed to have been scolded by SOMEBODY to get serious with the guitar and the results have been more than acceptable. And it's amazing how Charlie's proper intro to "Get Off My Cloud" helps the song immensely!

My only fear is that they revert to their typical lazy selves if and when we get a bigger 2013 tour. The only reason I saw them give it their all the other night was because 1) they knew they had 4 days till the next show and 2) they knew they didn't have to pace themselves for a full 100 city tour...they felt safe to give it everything in the tank that night because there was enough time to rest up for the next gig. I cannot see them doing the same during a full tour. They conserve their energy (and creativity) which leads automatically to the cruise-control, bland playing we've gotten on every tour in the last decade.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:56

Best Stones yet.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 03:09

They performed very well, I agree. I think the high ticket thing has some to do with attempting to curb or correct the scalpers moral state of mind. When their tickets are sold by scalpers for more than the band offers them for, the band is not rewarded that difference. I read somehwere that some heavy scalpers bought some of the high end tickets only to wind up stuck with them unsold. I think the Stones are trying something new in efforts to change the way tickets are sold. Somewhat of a anti-piracy control test. Because of this the concert goers will have to pay the price as it could set a new trend in ticket marketing. Think of software companies constantly creating new methods of installing their product because of the software crackers bootlegging. Mick talked a bit about this in a TV interview recently.

I'm not sure how that exactly works. Still pondering on that, knowing the Stones are always trying something new.(to them and the industry in general.) A 100 dollar ticket is easier to re-sale for a hundred & fifty dollars than a 400 dollar ticket being re-sold even at the face value of 400 dollars. It's not as inspiring for the scapler to participate. But the true and rich fan will apparantly buy a ticket merely to attend the show. The band wins big here, they slowed the scalpers from making money off them and in turn, made that money the scalpers would have by charging accordingly. (?)

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 29, 2012 03:33

Sipuncula
Best Stones yet.

How can that be when 2012 stones can't weave as fast& lush as 1981 stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 03:34 by arthritis.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 29, 2012 03:43

arthritis
How can that be when 2012 stones can't weave as fast& lush as 1981 stones?

Sorry, I should have had quotes around that, as in, Keith says that every tour. Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with it. I'm not sure I could rank such a thing, as all incarnations of the Stones have their merits (except the 2007 version, maybe).

Date: November 29, 2012 03:47

theimposter
I know there are a million topics on this year's/week's happenings, but I thought I had to say something. After reviewing several YouTube videos, I admit I am impressed. The band sounds tight - not overly polished, but strong. Keith is finally, after all these years, letting guitar playing take precedence over posing it seems. His "Sympathy" solo, while nothing for the record books, is easily the best go he has had at it in more than a decade.

It seems you have one and one person only to thank for that even bothering to happen - MightyTrollin50 aka blah blah blah prattle prattle prattle etc... because HE MADE IT HAPPEN.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home