Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Palais des Sports 1970
Posted by: MuddyJaggrich ()
Date: August 2, 2012 12:33

Hello, i think there is not that much material from the 1970 european tour in the cans.
Can anybody put on sound samples from the Europe 1 fm broadcast?
People said that the broadcast was good but there is too much DJ talking during the
songs. Would be great when a 70 or a 71 show is going to be official in the next future. Cheers.

Re: Palais des Sports 1970
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 2, 2012 21:49

I only have Some Like It Hot. I don't have Palais.............wish I did

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 2, 2012 21:59

"the broadcast was good"

It's decent for a 1970 recording taped off the air but it's VERY muddy. You really have to boost the highs to improve it.

I really hope Jagger bought the original Master from Europe 1. That would mean the tape is safely stored somewhere...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 22:06 by dcba.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:18

Make a search. I have posted a fm 1995 broadcast of brown sugar plus INA shootings are available on a post with the chantilly

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: August 2, 2012 22:24

"That would mean the tape is safely stored somewhere..."

No such thing, those tapes don't last...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 4, 2012 19:21

Is this a newer source of Shake Your Hips Paris, or Paris Affair?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 4, 2012 20:50

Paris Affair is Sept 22. Shake Your Hips is Sept 23..is the 23rd (which is incomplete) a true sb or part of a bcast? It doesnt have all the chatter from those ignorant announcers like the 22, talking over intros and all..what WAS it with those guys? they do it on alot of the 66 shows too, dont they?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 4, 2012 21:50

"what WAS it with those guys?"
I think it had to do with the regard French big wigs had for rock music in those days : it amounted to zero. Rock music was for dummies or even worse for young people.
Hence the fact that obviously nobody at "Europe 1" really gave a sh!t about what was happening onstage. Add to that the way rock shows were taped : a couple (two?) mikes hanging from the ceiling above the stage.

Says a lot about how much they cared... and don't get me started about that 1974 Roxy Music Paris' Palais des Congrès "Europe 1" Master tape someone posted at Dime some time ago.

Poster says he found the Master one morning... on the pavement in front of the radio. The tape (with lots of other reels) was destined to be dumped!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-04 21:53 by dcba.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: August 5, 2012 18:43

Sept 25 '1970: A short excerpt from the french TV news regarding the show from the 24th.
The audience was rather hot hot smiley
==> [www.ina.fr]

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: August 5, 2012 19:05

Other info with the help of "my friend GO.G.."

" ... On their first tour of Europe on four years, The Stones played three shows at the Palais Des Sports on September 22nd, 23rd and 24th. Paris was the only city to schedule more than one show.

September 22nd, the first night, was broadcast live on French radio on Europe 1. The complete broadcast was recorded off the air and has been released several times in the past, including Paris 1970 (Idol Mind Productions IMP-CD 014) in 1992 and Paris Affair (VGP-127) in 1997.

It is a good mono recording, lacking in significant dynamics but is a good record of the show. The radio DJs never stop talking, however, chattering between each song and even during some songs, like in the middle of “Midnight Rambler” and during half of “Live With Me.”

Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opened the three shows for the Stones, and on the first night were joined by Eric Clapton for “It’s My Life Baby.”

The next track is a very short fragment from backstage. One of the DJs asks one of the Stones (not sure which one) if Clapton will be joining The Stones also. The answer is in the positive, although Clapton ultimately does not jam.

The Stones deliver a brilliant performance under tense conditions. Ron Schneider, business manager for the Rolling Stones at the time, recalled: “Now for Europe at this time…there was violent unrest in many of the cities. Driving to the Paris show, we had to swerve in and out between overturned burning cars … At the Paris show while I was roaming around back stage, I opened a door behind the stage and walked into a giant room that was filled with black clothed riot gear armed French police.

“As I stated earlier, another interesting note about the Paris concert: word got to Chip Monck that the Hell’s Angels were there and one of them had a gun. We were told that we could spot the Angels because they were shirtless with badges stuck into their chests. Chip got to them and asked if they had a gun … the guy said yes but it was a starter’s pistol and he just wanted to shoot it in the air … he reconsidered…and then there was the audience in Paris. All the royalty had come out and they were in the front rows of the concert.”

The opening notes of “Jumping Jack Flash” set the audience (and announcers) off into a frenzy. The limitations of the tape source lend a strange otherworldly quality to the concert, a dark edge to the songs. It is especially apparent in “Sympathy For The Devil,” “Stray Cat Blues” and “Midnight Rambler.”

“Honky Tonk Women” sounds strange because Taylor’s guitar seems to disappear. The show ends with “Street Fighting Man,” the band’s nod to the 1968 riots in Paris. .... "

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home