Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Buddy Guy's New Book-When I Left Home
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 3, 2012 16:06

Hello all,
I just started this book. Buddy has a great style.

The Stones are mentioned frequently........always in a positive light.

Buddy doesn't go into much detail although he does touch on the following:

1) He firmly refutes KRs claim that Muddy was painting the ceiling at Chess. Buddy states that if any musician at Chess would have been asked to perform that sort of manual labor, it would have been him as he was the low man on the roster. Buddy states (as do others)that the Chess'worked for Muddy, not the other way around.

2) He praises the Stones and other English acts for promoting the blues and in particular, Chess' blues.

3) He and Junior Wells were not received well on the 1970 Stones tour. In fact, he recalls being booed most of the time. He states that he can understand that if a bunch of hippies wait hoours to see the Stones, they surely don't want to see a couple of blues guys.

All in all--so far a great read.

Re: Buddy Guy's New Book-When I Left Home
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 5, 2012 18:46

Cafaro
Hello all,
I just started this book. Buddy has a great style.

The Stones are mentioned frequently........always in a positive light.

Buddy doesn't go into much detail although he does touch on the following:

3) He and Junior Wells were not received well on the 1970 Stones tour. In fact, he recalls being booed most of the time. He states that he can understand that if a bunch of hippies wait hoours to see the Stones, they surely don't want to see a couple of blues guys.

Thanx for the info!

Reg. the 1970 Stones tour he is unfortunately quite right as I already mentioned in the "RS and M. Waters at the Checkerboard Lounge DVD" thread.
People wanted the Stones - and only the Stones. Most of the very stoned "hippy" audience was bored by their gig.
But it has to be said that the playing from Guy and Wells plus their band just wasn't too good - at least when I saw them. Generally Blues was very hip then with us Hippies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home