Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Little Red Rooster
Posted by: big4 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 06:38

An early career highlight for the band that has more than stood the test of time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:22

StonesTod
tomk
StonesTod
doesn't exactly challenge wolf's magnificent recording, nor sam cooke's either (his is by far my fave version)...but it's one of their better early cracks at the format...

Cooke's version is great, too. With Billy Preston on organ.

a sixteen-year old billy...and he gets a shout-out on record from sam...

I will have to look for this...I love Sam Cooke and haven't heard that version.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:29

Kuckelikuuu

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 17, 2012 09:54

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 17, 2012 11:00

Where is that rooster from...Harrisburg?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 23:33

Cheers Mick.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 17, 2012 23:43

That was funny....................

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 18, 2012 00:03

The 64 version is great , very great. Its unique sound drums, acoustic guitar, slide....... had never been heard from an english musician in those years. At this point they began with their signature style and attitude. Brian was brilliant in it.
Believe me if i tell you that i do not dislike the KR cover at all; but i must hear the rehearsal version without seeing the video, just the music.It is better than i thougt first time

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 18, 2012 00:26

VT22
Cheers Mick.

Nice clip! thumbs up

Beer as throat medicine. grinning smiley

That backing band are quite terrible on this, they should have held back and let him do that one alone or provided a less heavy, busy backing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-18 00:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 18, 2012 13:10

Does anybody know how the acoustic is tuned on the original cut?

C

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 18, 2012 15:37

His Majesty
VT22
Cheers Mick.

Nice clip! thumbs up

Beer as throat medicine. grinning smiley

That backing band are quite terrible on this, they should have held back and let him do that one alone or provided a less heavy, busy backing.

agreed , but it seems only the sax intruded a bit.
great track ,should be in your "first blues book" cannot be spoiled by any (competent) musician ( surely )cracking song.
great licks specific to this song , and some joe walsh-like slide licks at the end
i enjoyed that , thanks

Date: July 18, 2012 16:45

liddas

C

Possibly a 12 string with every string tuned down a whole step!?

Date: July 18, 2012 17:24

His Majesty
liddas

C

So you think it's standard tuning? Something in the voicing doesn't sound standard. If I tune down a step, the G should be played as an A: I have not tried, but it doesn't sound right!

C

Date: July 18, 2012 18:05

liddas
His Majesty
liddas

C

So you think it's standard tuning? Something in the voicing doesn't sound standard. If I tune down a step, the G should be played as an A: I have not tried, but it doesn't sound right!

C

Yeah, I think it's most likley standard(but tuned down a step). G chord being an A chord shape, starting the motif with D chord shape(C pitch) or note makes sense to me, over all deeper sound, but still with better flow you get from doing such a thing.

I've never sat and worked out what Keith plays on LRR, but I do hear a 12 string acoustic and to me it sounds like it's tuned down.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 18, 2012 19:16

Mathijs
Fortunately he didn't stay with the guitar -he was quite lousy at it.

A little bit of an overstatement, Mathijs?

Date: July 18, 2012 19:17

His Majesty
liddas
His Majesty
liddas

C

C

Yeah, I think it's most likley standard(but tuned down a step). G chord being an A chord shape, starting the motif with D chord shape(C pitch) or note makes sense to me, over all deeper sound, but still with better flow you get from doing such a thing.

I've never sat and worked out what Keith plays on LRR, but I do hear a 12 string acoustic and to me it sounds like it's tuned down.

Will try it tonight.

In any case, when one analizes the details, the sophistication of those early recordings was just incredible. The acoustic is minimal, but it enhances greatly both Bill's bouncy lines and Brian's slide work.

C

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 18, 2012 19:27

His Majesty
It's great that he moved on to dulcimers, recorders, vibraphone's, marimba's, piano's, mellotrons etc etc.

It's great Brian went on to all those exotic instruments for a little while, yes. But when he's still playing sitar on Beggars (by 1968, way passe) or ridiculously tapping an African drum on Midnight Rambler, it's not so great. Keith is right when he says that the Rolling Stones are a two guitar band, and my favorite period in the Brian era was when BOTH Brian and Keith were playing guitars. If No Expectations was any indication, Brian was finally making his way back to the guitar, and look how magical that contribution was.

Date: July 18, 2012 20:24

neptune
His Majesty
It's great that he moved on to dulcimers, recorders, vibraphone's, marimba's, piano's, mellotrons etc etc.

It's great Brian went on to all those exotic instruments for a little while, yes. But when he's still playing sitar on Beggars (by 1968, way passe) or ridiculously tapping an African drum on Midnight Rambler, it's not so great. Keith is right when he says that the Rolling Stones are a two guitar band, and my favorite period in the Brian era was when BOTH Brian and Keith were playing guitars. If No Expectations was any indication, Brian was finally making his way back to the guitar, and look how magical that contribution was.

The sitar and tamboura on Street Fighting Man is a great addition. Yer assuming about Midnight Rambler, none of us really know what he played on that.

Brian as multi-instrumentalist was there from the get go... even on their first single Brian doesn't play guitar on either the A or B side.

Despite Keith's warbling about what the stones should be(just his romanticised view btw), The Rolling Stones have, thankfully, never been just a two guitar band.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-18 21:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 18, 2012 22:41

His Majesty
The sitar and tamboura on Street Fighting Man is a great addition. Yer assuming about Midnight Rambler, none of us really know what he played on that.

Brian as multi-instrumentalist was there from the get go... even on their first single Brian doesn't play guitar on either the A or B side.

Despite Keith's warbling about what the stones should be(just his romanticised view btw), The Rolling Stones have, thankfully, never been just a two guitar band.
+1

Brian played guitar live but he was never only a guitarist in the studio.

I think that Brian's addings on Beggar's are fine. He still shows that he is creative and experimental. The mellotron work alone on Jigsaw Puzzle is freaking amazing.

As HM says, the sitar and tamboura on Street Fighting Man sounds great. A sitar is an instrument just like the guitar. The only way it would have sounded passé in 68 would be if they had used it in a psychedelic song and since Brian is said to have disliked psychedelia I don't think that was what he aimed for.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 18, 2012 22:48

neptune
Mathijs
Fortunately he didn't stay with the guitar -he was quite lousy at it.

A little bit of an overstatement, Mathijs?

I think you should know my opinion about Jones guitar skills after more than ten years on this board...

Mathijs

Date: July 18, 2012 22:50

His Majesty

In fact, if you look at the first 30 odd songs they recorded, Brian's guitar parts are surprisingly minimal, which is accoding to his own statement in an interview of the time, where he stated he was the band's harmonical player.

Mathijs

Date: July 18, 2012 22:52

His Majesty
liddas
His Majesty
liddas

C

C

Don't know if its the case here, but it was quite common practice to tune down any acoustic a half or whole step, and bring up tuning with a capo again. Many pictures of Richards on acoustic from the early days have him use a capo on the acoustic.

Mathijs

Date: July 18, 2012 23:32

Last two posts... Yet more over statements from the dutchman. grinning smiley

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: July 19, 2012 00:06

From Willie Dixon songbook

Date: July 19, 2012 00:12

His Majesty

The first I'll do a count, the second is something everybody can see for themselves. There's just an awful lot of pics of Richards on an acoustic with a capo on first or second fret -and as far as I know there aren't many early tracks in Bflat or F....

Mathijs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 19, 2012 00:13

Nice to read........thanks

Date: July 19, 2012 00:40

Mathijs
His Majesty

The first I'll do a count, the second is something everybody can see for themselves. There's just an awful lot of pics of Richards on an acoustic with a capo on first or second fret -and as far as I know there aren't many early tracks in Bflat or F....

Mathijs

I'm just teasing yah. thumbs up

Posted by: dingq ()
Date: August 4, 2012 18:47

I made an edit of "Little Red Rooster",in an effort to make it sound stereo, though of course not possible. No sounds were added, it is the plain song.
Various (Wikipedia) sources mention it being recorded at the Chess studios Chicago.
And, if recorded in 'Chess', I hope a real stereo version will rise to the surface of the musical waters, in the future.
The video is longer on Youtube, I lost some channels - terminated by ABKCO and the greatest @#$%& of all times, "Reelin' in the years, LLC", that is busy buying copyrights of vintage tv recordings all over the world - with the fake argument that they "save video footage for future generations" but in real just want to line their pockets and kick these video's off of Youtube. Bastards.

video: [player.vimeo.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 12:05 by dingq.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2012 05:49

I just heard Brian (dulcimer) and Keith (acoustic) weaving on Lady Jane. Lovely.

Posted by: dingq ()
Date: January 7, 2013 17:25

little red rooster

and on vimeo (if the Youtube link is dead)

video: [player.vimeo.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 12:50 by dingq.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home