Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13
Re: Tokyo Dome show on Google Music
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:11

R
Anybody else having trouble downloading TOKYO DOME from Google? I keep getting a dialog box saying there was an "error" and to try again later.

Obviously in the rest of the world, we're not using google music but I'd serious problems downloading the flac files of this show last night.

Took about four hours - usually its about 20 minutes - as tracks kept stopping and having to be refreshed and re-downloaded.

Even ended up going into the site and inadvertently purchasing it again by accident (although I didnt download the files on the second purchase).

Kudos to bravenet though - when I e-mailed them about the second purchase, they responded within a couple of hours advising me that they were refunding the money. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-12 23:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:14

Gazza
R
Anybody else having trouble downloading TOKYO DOME from Google? I keep getting a dialog box saying there was an "error" and to try again later.

Obviously in the rest of the world, we're not using google music but I'd serious problems downloading the flac files of this show last night.

Took about four hours - usually its about 20 minutes - as tracks kept stopping and having to be refreshed and re-downloaded.

Even ended up going into the site and inadvertently purchasing it again by accident (although I didnt download the files on the second purchase).

Kudos to bravenet though - when I e-mailed them about the second purchase, they responded within a couple of hours advising me that they were refunding the money. thumbs up

Yep,my brother made a similar experience trying to download LA Friday recently.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:16

The big change in the sound is the first use of a click track, necessary for the sequencing. Before this, Charlie and Keith laid down the beat with their push and pull, with BW holding them loosely together. That was the sound of the Stones. When Charlie had to start playing to a click, that was gone. That's why the guitars don't drive it ahymore. That's the big delineation.

Date: July 12, 2012 23:26

TeddyB1018
The big change in the sound is the first use of a click track, necessary for the sequencing. Before this, Charlie and Keith laid down the beat with their push and pull, with BW holding them loosely together. That was the sound of the Stones. When Charlie had to start playing to a click, that was gone. That's why the guitars don't drive it ahymore. That's the big delineation.

Agree, but they´re still laying down the beat on songs like Midnight Rambler and It´s Only Rock´n´Roll. No click tracks there.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:27

TeddyB1018

I thought the click tracks were only used on Sympathy. If you're right thats hit the nail on the head for why the "Vegas" shows leave so many cold.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:35

RobertJohnson
Great disappointment, muddy sound, Ronnie too low in the mix, thin guitars, far worse than e.g. the Wembley concert (Seventh of July). Overall here we have the Rolling Stones Big Brass Band rehearsing some Stones titles ... the definitive low point of the official boot series; please, no more boots from the Big Band era.
Indeed Ronnie is very low in the mix, or is he just barely playing?
Keith is playing a lot, when you listen well. But his guitar is say less electric, less Hendrix like from what it was in 1981/1982. Only in 2000 light years he has that old sound again.
Chuck is all over the place. The sad thing is that he may be technically accomplished and a good musician, but he misses the point, there's very little soul to his playing. When he plays organ it sounds better. But the chuck piano is too prominent.
All these complaints are much less of an issue with the double door boot for instance.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:37

We should be thankful for small mercies: they've given us the sum total of nothing for 50th Anniversary special releases, or deluxe CDs, so we have to make do with the Tokyo Concert.

Thin gruel springs to mind.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:43

tomcasagranda
We should be thankful for small mercies: they've given us the sum total of nothing for 50th Anniversary special releases, or deluxe CDs, so we have to make do with the Tokyo Concert.

You dont have to be thankful, they make money selling this stuff and I guess they see it as promoting since they are not touring, or havent toured for a long time. SO far they released three nice boots and this last one. I hope they release more. I'm positive they know how important El Mocambo is and hopefully they will make something out of it. I know it wasnt filmed but are we sure about this? Cause if there is anything on film from Elmo they could charge anything for it. Hey Mick, you reading this?

Date: July 12, 2012 23:48

Whale
RobertJohnson
Great disappointment, muddy sound, Ronnie too low in the mix, thin guitars, far worse than e.g. the Wembley concert (Seventh of July). Overall here we have the Rolling Stones Big Brass Band rehearsing some Stones titles ... the definitive low point of the official boot series; please, no more boots from the Big Band era.
Indeed Ronnie is very low in the mix, or is he just barely playing?
Keith is playing a lot, when you listen well. But his guitar is say less electric, less Hendrix like from what it was in 1981/1982. Only in 2000 light years he has that old sound again.
Chuck is all over the place. The sad thing is that he may be technically accomplished and a good musician, but he misses the point, there's very little soul to his playing. When he plays organ it sounds better. But the chuck piano is too prominent.
All these complaints are much less of an issue with the double door boot for instance.

I agree with you, regarding Chuck.

And he should really understand that Midnight Rambler is not a honky tonk-number.

Date: July 12, 2012 23:50

tomcasagranda

Checkerboard Lounge and this 50 book is more than nothing for me.
Would´ve been just that Tokyo show....uhhmmm.....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:52

Can someone please explain this 'click track' thing to me? I don't really understand.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:53

Redhotcarpet
tomcasagranda

You dont have to be thankful, they make money selling this stuff and I guess they see it as promoting since they are not touring, or havent toured for a long time. SO far they released three nice boots and this last one. I hope they release more. I'm positive they know how important El Mocambo is and hopefully they will make something out of it. I know it wasnt filmed but are we sure about this? Cause if there is anything on film from Elmo they could charge anything for it. Hey Mick, you reading this?

Come on ! Dylan, or Jeff Rosen, since 1991 has given us ongoing bootleg series albums, up to Volume 9. The Beatles have given us The Beatles At the Beeb, 6 cds on 3 double cd sets of Anthology recordings, Let it Be Naked, Yellow Submarine Songbook, Love, and solo wise, All Things Must Pass, Harrison demos, Living In The Material World, The Dark Horse years, The Concert for Bangla Desh, The comprehensive McCartney Archive series, Lennon Remasters, Double Fantasy stripped down, and, albeit indirectly, Apple albums by Billy Preston, Doris Troy, Badfinger, et al.

The Allmans, too, have given us a comprehensive series of archive material, and so too has the Grateful Dead, and Pink Floyd, with Immersion and Experience cds of their best album.

A national institution, the Stones, have, on a glorious occasion, and in comparison with the acts mentioned, given us the sum total of nothing.

Date: July 13, 2012 00:04

Big Al
Can someone please explain this 'click track' thing to me? I don't really understand.

A programmed pace for the song. On an in-ear monitor you hear the click while performing. Then Chuck counts and... the swing is gone.

This was the short version smileys with beer

Date: July 13, 2012 00:06

tomcasagranda
Redhotcarpet
tomcasagranda

Come on ! Dylan, or Jeff Rosen, since 1991 has given us ongoing bootleg series albums, up to Volume 9. The Beatles have given us The Beatles At the Beeb, 6 cds on 3 double cd sets of Anthology recordings, Let it Be Naked, Yellow Submarine Songbook, Love, and solo wise, All Things Must Pass, Harrison demos, Living In The Material World, The Dark Horse years, The Concert for Bangla Desh, The comprehensive McCartney Archive series, Lennon Remasters, Double Fantasy stripped down, and, albeit indirectly, Apple albums by Billy Preston, Doris Troy, Badfinger, et al.

The Allmans, too, have given us a comprehensive series of archive material, and so too has the Grateful Dead, and Pink Floyd, with Immersion and Experience cds of their best album.

A national institution, the Stones, have, on a glorious occasion, and in comparison with the acts mentioned, given us the sum total of nothing.

seems you´ve missed a lot of stuff...

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 13, 2012 00:12

Downloaded the flac files from Stonesarchive. Took about 5 minutes, and no problems whatsoever.

As for clicktrack. This is only for Sympathy as there is a prerecorded percussiontrack on that one. I'm not sure ifnit really is a clicktrack, but watching several videos, I've noticed that Charlie leans a little back to hear the track that is probably hard to hear from the monitors behind him.

Also the later tours, Chuck has been laying down the tempo by counting in the band. At least on those numbers that Keith don't start. Don't know if that was the case on steel Wheels/Urban though.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 13, 2012 00:28

audun-eg
Downloaded the flac files from Stonesarchive. Took about 5 minutes, and no problems whatsoever.

As for clicktrack. This is only for Sympathy as there is a prerecorded percussiontrack on that one. I'm not sure ifnit really is a clicktrack, but watching several videos, I've noticed that Charlie leans a little back to hear the track that is probably hard to hear from the monitors behind him.

Also the later tours, Chuck has been laying down the tempo by counting in the band. At least on those numbers that Keith don't start. Don't know if that was the case on steel Wheels/Urban though.

Chuck counts after the click track, I´m pretty sure of that. Listen to the start of songs like Bitch, Can´t Be Seen and Rock And A Hard Place - they start almost robotic.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 13, 2012 00:30

I actually like the piano heavy midnight rambler

Date: July 13, 2012 00:32

By the way...read some Chuck criticism here...
What about Matt Clifford and his terrible synth stuff...

Date: July 13, 2012 00:38

tomcasagranda
Redhotcarpet
tomcasagranda

Yeah ok I get your point.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 13, 2012 00:38

Well, I'm finally giving this a thorough "all the way through" listen and I just have to say, I don't care what anyone else thinks... I think it is an excellent performance. I love the tour (my first Stones concert ever was Philly '89, the first show of the tour), and I also love the album. The Steel Wheels numbers featured at this show sound great, were performed amazingly and I think they stand up well to time. Keith was seriously on his game too.

Date: July 13, 2012 00:40

shortfatfanny

They are both part of the Vegas Big Brass band family show.

Date: July 13, 2012 00:44

shortfatfanny

Luckily, he was stopped on this show by Keith (and Chuck) after 2000 Light Years From Home smiling smiley

Date: July 13, 2012 00:45

jazzbass
Well, I'm finally giving this a thorough "all the way through" listen and I just have to say, I don't care what anyone else thinks... I think it is an excellent performance. I love the tour (my first Stones concert ever was Philly '89, the first show of the tour), and I also love the album. The Steel Wheels numbers featured at this show sound great, were performed amazingly and I think they stand up well to time. Keith was seriously on his game too.

thumbs up

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 13, 2012 00:57

For whatever reason, I didn't transfer over "Sympathy" to my ipod and I defintiely noticed it was missing. There's an error on my copy of"Satisfaction" and it cuts to the next track during Keith's solo at the end.

But that said, I'd have to say that "Satisfaction" is my favorite track. Keith is all over that track with some great guitar work. It's wonderfully sloppy at the end when they try to all together to do the "gimme one time!...gimme two times!" Very amusing. But the song does keep an intense momentum.

Date: July 13, 2012 01:06

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg

Chuck counts after the click track, I´m pretty sure of that. Listen to the start of songs like Bitch, Can´t Be Seen and Rock And A Hard Place - they start almost robotic.

On Can't be seen Keith is counting in himself. Surely no doubt about that. I would guess Chuck maybe uses a metronome or simillar to get the tempos the've agreed to, but a clicktrack through entire songs? I don't think so. And just because they finally didn't stumble into every other song and used half the songs to get into them, doesn't mean that they used clicktracks on everything. It just means that they, as maybe a difference to previous tours, were very well rehearsed and had worked out to a higher degree how the songs should be played from start to finish, tempos etc. Nothing wrong in that imo. I would call it beeing professional musicians.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 13, 2012 01:30

audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg

On Can't be seen Keith is counting in himself. Surely no doubt about that. I would guess Chuck maybe uses a metronome or simillar to get the tempos the've agreed to, but a clicktrack through entire songs? I don't think so. And just because they finally didn't stumble into every other song and used half the songs to get into them, doesn't mean that they used clicktracks on everything. It just means that they, as maybe a difference to previous tours, were very well rehearsed and had worked out to a higher degree how the songs should be played from start to finish, tempos etc. Nothing wrong in that imo. I would call it beeing professional musicians.

It´s perfectly normal to use click tracks, without using them throughout entire songs, and we don´t know what Keith listens to when he is counting.

My guess is that only SFTD and RAAHP have click track throughout.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 13, 2012 01:46

meh, i will PASS on this vegas crap, how embarassing to have this trash coincide with the bands 50th. but all you chuck, matt, bernard, & lisa fans, enjoy my all means. and dont worry blondie, tim, and kent fans, i am sure toronto 2005 is just around the corner. meanwhile, time to crank la friday again lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 01:48 by Slick.

Date: July 13, 2012 01:50

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg

It´s perfectly normal to use click tracks, without using them throughout entire songs, and we don´t know what Keith listens to when he is counting.

Yes I know. I think I missread you a little. Clicktrack or metronome or whatever does the same thing in this setting as far as starting the song in a certain tempo goes. Clicktracks through Sympathy and RAAHP makes sense as both songs have prerecorded (or midisampled) percussion tracks.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 13, 2012 01:51

audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg

Yes I know. I think I missread you a little. Clicktrack or metronome or whatever does the same thing in this setting as far as starting the song in a certain tempo goes. Clicktracks through Sympathy and RAAHP makes sense as both songs have prerecorded (or midisampled) percussion tracks.

No worries, mate smileys with beer

Date: July 13, 2012 02:05

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg

No worries, mate smileys with beer

Ja, skål! smiling smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home