Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13
Re: Tokyo Dome show on Google Music
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 10, 2012 15:48

Doxa
Gazza
Tokyo 26.2.90 is the best show of that entire tour and one of their best latter day stadium concerts.

That's great to hear. The track listing looks great, including five numbers from STEEL WHEELS.

It also needs to say that it isn't the fault of 1989/90's tour's shows that they turned out to be the concept of all their latter days tours and shows, and a kind of prototype of 'Vegas' era. In 1989/90 they really were fresh and 'innovative' (Jagger's term) with the formula. Actually judging now -many tours 'wiser' - they were incredibly vital and working hard then to update their sound.

And yes, they still had THE bass player there...

- Doxa

There's a run of about an hour in the middle of this show thats absolutely brilliant. GLORIOUS versions of Almost Hear You Sigh, Midnight Rambler (not '69 or '73 brilliance, but still excellent), Happy, Sympathy For The Devil (same version thats on 'Flashpoint' but without Keith's two wonderful solos being heavily edited) and a fantastic 'Gimme Shelter'.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: July 10, 2012 15:53

No Gimme Shelter live version other than the Paradiso 1995 live version is more thrilling/haunting. Nothing before, nothing after. To me the Paradiso version is the definitive live version!

I simply cannot hear any other version live :-(.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 10, 2012 15:58

Why did they leave out the Continental Drift intro?? The was so great in combination with Start Me Up

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 10, 2012 15:59

Great 1990 concert, for sure. Intersting for those that haven't heard it. But the bootleg/brodacast source is excellent anough as is, for me. Don't dig out 1989/1990 concerts often anyway.....hardly ever actually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-10 16:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:00

Yep...I think its the best one. This one runs it close. From memory, I think its Cindy Mizelle who does the solo vocal on it, which was unusual.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:00

I received a copy of the Tokyo show (2 90m HQ TDK tapes) a month or so before my first show of the tour (Torino). Remember not wanting to hear the tapes because I did not want to spoil the surprise. Later on it became my fav boot for quite a while.

It's years now that I hardly listen to any SW/UJ recording. Just don't like them anymore. Musicanship was great. Probably the most "professional" tour ever. And Bill was still there. BUT it just aged bad. I'm curious to see if this release will make me change my mind.

C

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:01

They left out the intro again? Wonder what the reasoning for this could be. I love the intro music. Oh well, at least the rest of it sounds exciting. Looking froward to it tomorrow in Germany.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:02

liddas
BUT it just aged bad.

That's my impression as well. But it was fantastic seeing them back in 1990. And the bootlegs sounded great a couple of years after that. But suddenly in the mid 90s....it sounded so "80s"

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:10

All along I was thinking that we'd get a Steel Wheels show next but that Toronto 2005 thing altered my expectations. Not too excited about this one but oh well, I will enjoy it anyway I suppose. Much like the 75 and 81 tours, this one could probably also use an actual decent live album to represent it as Flashpoint was and is totally lackluster.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:36

another swing and a miss. only two strikes left.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:51

Still would have liked AC'89

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 10, 2012 16:54

They've made me super happy 3 times, so it's my turn to say....ahhh crap! My least least least favorite tour. Oh well it saves me $5!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:00

shortfatfanny

Interesting...I´m curious how long amazon will keep on selling boot DVD´s....

[www.amazon.de]

I have this DVD too. At the release date (June 6, 2008) it was in Germany also available at the MediMax stores and Mueller Drogerie.

Compared with lamemodem2's screenshots, 3 tracks are missing on DVD: 2000 Light Years from Home, Sympathy for the Devil and the complete Band Introduction (the DVD shows only Keith's introduction).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-10 18:00 by Irix.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:03

They surprise us again since Toronto Fuse was expected. However the 90 release is predictable as it is one of the best shows and sound like Brussels, Hampton, LA are : excellent.
A vault recording is supposed to be quite an old one (90 is already 22 years, my god eye rolling smiley)
2005 Toronto was surprising. So someone made a fake cover or is it delayed ?
Some people may be disappointed since no un-circulating show (with a decent sound) has been released yet.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: July 10, 2012 17:07

toomuchforme
They surprise us again since Toronto Fuse was expected. However the 90 release is predictable as it is one of the best shows and sound like Brussels, Hampton, LA are : excellent.
A vault recording is supposed to be quite an old one (90 is already 22 years, my god eye rolling smiley)
Some people may be disappointed since no un-circulating show (with a decent sound) has been released yet.

I consider LA75 uncirculated...the source anyway had never been heard

Date: July 10, 2012 17:07

toomuchforme

aside from the first one. since then it's been the ol' bait and switch routine.

Date: July 10, 2012 17:09

Munichhilton
toomuchforme

but only a marginable upgrade from the millard master.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:10

I agree, Munich. Not my favorite choice but hey, it's just $5 to have a complete concert from that era with pristine sound quality. What I've heard so far is enjoyable, just not as exciting as the first 3 releases.

I am not going to complain as I shove this in my dash to listen to on the way to Best Buy to purchase the Checkerboard Lounge DVD! I am digging these "lovely things", keep 'em coming!

Ross

Date: July 10, 2012 17:15

StonesTod
Munichhilton
toomuchforme

upgraded margarine is a good good thing

Date: July 10, 2012 17:17

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
toomuchforme

upgraded margarine is a good good thing

i can't believe it's not a soundboard

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:24

Good SW show , - although 7th of July boot is partly better to me.
Both are from radio/TV sources. So the many boots from those shows have been very good already.
I hoped for something else as I overdosed on these. But okay . .

Date: July 10, 2012 17:24

Its a clearer mix compared to Cold Steel Blue, but nothing unbelievable.
Chuck is louder and clearer on the archive release...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:26

Are the guitars more prominent in the mix on the official boot? The tour 89/90 missed the right guitar performance in my opinion. Is there any enhancement on the official boot?

Date: July 10, 2012 17:27

RobertJohnson
Are the guitars more prominent in the mix on the official boot? The tour 89/90 missed the right guitar performance in my opinion. Is there any enhancement on the official boot?

They are very prominent on the boot, so the difference is minimal

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:28

Munichhilton

Now your just baiting people...

Date: July 10, 2012 17:31

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Now your just baiting people...

Here kitty, kitty, kitty...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:44

Munichhilton
Chuck is louder and clearer on the archive release...[/quote

... no good news! His tinkling is annoying sometimes ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-10 17:45 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: July 10, 2012 17:49

I even downloaded this from Europe. There is a way if you install the program "Hotspot Shield". It provides a american IP adress for your internet connection. So you can access the google play website and download the show.
Hope this helps some of you.

Date: July 10, 2012 17:50

CousinC
Good SW show , - although 7th of July boot is partly better to me.
Both are from radio/TV sources. So the many boots from those shows have been very good already.
I hoped for something else as I overdosed on these. But okay . .

very diplomatic and serene reaction. i prefer: THIS SUCKS!

Date: July 10, 2012 19:38

Incomplete Samples:

[wtrns.fr]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home