Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Spare Parts
Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: June 29, 2012 16:48

I love this song, one of the few real gems worthy of opening the vaults. But, I'm not sure whether Mick's vocals are 2010's or 1970's. Anybody know?

Re: No Spare Parts
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 29, 2012 16:58

Sorry brother but I have to respectfully disagree with you. No Spare Parts, like Don't Be A Stranger, is one of those tracks I own but have deleted from my online library so that it never comes up accidentally.

The vocals are definitely 2010. They attempted to record it with the same tonality as the Some Girls sessions, but they failed to take into account the actual mixing on that record! The vocals on the outtakes are twice as loud as any track on Some Girls itself!

Just goes to show that the Stones hit everyone's taste buds differently. When Jagger was slated to play SNL I said that it would be great if he did The Last Time. Someone said it sucked and was horrible on the b-stage back in 97-98.. Then he did the track with Arcade Fire (who have performed it on their own for years) and it rocked!

I didn't like Pass The Wine on Exile outtakes either.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 29, 2012 17:00

gotta admit that mick's 2010 vocal wasn't as bad as i expected...like the original better, natch...but, at least the 2010 version retained some of the charm and nuance of the original. i give it a 6 on a 1-10.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 29, 2012 17:05

I think Mick should not try to fake a southern accent it just sounds horrible. Nobody can really fake a southern accent as hard as anymone may try. I'm thinking no spare parts and faraway eyes. It makes me cringe. as cute as it is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-29 17:06 by tumbled.

Date: June 29, 2012 17:09

tumbled
I think Mick should not try to fake a southern accent it just sounds horrible. Nobody can really fake a southern accent as hard as anymone may try. I'm thinking no spare parts and faraway eyes. It makes me cringe. as cute as it is

what other kinda southern accent can he use? he ain't from the south...

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: June 29, 2012 17:12

Thanks flacnvinyl, nice insight. I thought it probably was a recent vocal. I think it compares well to DBAS which is obviously a 2010's vocal.

I guess I'm surprised that I generally find Mick's 2010's vocals awful, yet somehow really enjoy NSP.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 29, 2012 17:13

love the tune.

my ears didn't get the original version first, so I didn't have anything to compare it to mind you.

Date: June 29, 2012 17:19

StonesTod
tumbled

None at all. That was my point. It sux

Date: June 29, 2012 17:25

tumbled
StonesTod
tumbled

pretty much all of mick's accents are fake...he's english, you know....

Date: June 29, 2012 17:34

I like it.

Yeah so the vocal isn't as good as what's on the boot. It's still a great little song. A thousand times better than Don't Be A Stranger.

Date: June 29, 2012 17:35

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I like it.

Yeah so the vocal isn't as good as what's on the boot. It's still a great little song. A thousand times better than Don't Be A Stranger.

Your absolutely right, and yet, I like that song as well. The whole 'deluxe' CD is just excellent.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: June 29, 2012 17:46

Love the original version...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 29, 2012 18:14

I think it's great, and I love the little travelogue about taking 10 and Benson. I know that stretch of road very well (but how he got from there to Marfa, Texas is beyond me).

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 29, 2012 20:53

I'm with the flac on this one. Any number of songs would have made a stronger intro to this collection -- not like singles matter for this type of product -- Do You Think I Really Care is a much better song in the same vein.

T@3

Date: June 29, 2012 21:06

I like the sound of it. That slide. For some reason it sounds so 1978. You just know it when you hear it.

Well, OK, that's a bit broad. 1978 STONES that is.

Date: June 29, 2012 21:37

TeaAtThree
I'm with the flac on this one. Any number of songs would have made a stronger intro to this collection -- not like singles matter for this type of product -- Do You Think I Really Care is a much better song in the same vein.

T@3

I think you're both out of your flac'in minds!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 29, 2012 22:02

flacnvinyl
Just goes to show that the Stones hit everyone's taste buds differently. When Jagger was slated to play SNL I said that it would be great if he did The Last Time. Someone said it sucked and was horrible on the b-stage back in 97-98.. Then he did the track with Arcade Fire (who have performed it on their own for years) and it rocked!

I guess it does go to show. I thought Jagger and Arcade Fire were terrible. Arcade Fire more than Jagger, but he didn't do the song any favors in my opinion. I thought he and Foo Fighters were better.

Date: June 29, 2012 22:19

NoCode0680
flacnvinyl

I guess it does go to show. I thought Jagger and Arcade Fire were terrible. Arcade Fire more than Jagger, but he didn't do the song any favors in my opinion. I thought he and Foo Fighters were better.

I agree...with Flac. It seriously rocked. Loved all the music on that show. The Jeff Beck number was the weakest, namely the lyrics.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 29, 2012 22:23

treaclefingers
NoCode0680
flacnvinyl

I agree...with Flac. It seriously rocked. Loved all the music on that show. The Jeff Beck number was the weakest, namely the lyrics.

Jagger was better with Bette

Date: June 29, 2012 22:24

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
NoCode0680
flacnvinyl

Jagger was better with Bette

Do you mean his dancing in the Bette "Beast of Burden" video?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 29, 2012 22:25

You better you bette

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 29, 2012 23:22

A wonderful song! Mick sounds great like he is telling a jaded hillbilly story. Sneering and vamping like he does so well. I don't find it a faux southern accent, but more a visceral tale. Lets hope there are more releases like this down the road.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 29, 2012 23:31

I also dig the original vocals and wished they woulda just left them( mistakes and all). The references to Ft Worth and Dallas help the story.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 29, 2012 23:35

I listened again to this song. It still is an old country song, and a mediocre one at that. I want a new CD, not a compilation of rejected songs from the seventies.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 29, 2012 23:39

StonesTod
tumbled
StonesTod
tumbled

Most of his English accents are fake as well--"he's a great bunch of guys."

Date: June 29, 2012 23:47

stonesnow
StonesTod
tumbled
StonesTod
tumbled

OMG. does anyone even know what he sounds like when he's singing with his native accent??? probably very embarrassing...the man is clearly a complete fraud....

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 30, 2012 00:13

StonesTod
stonesnow
StonesTod
tumbled
StonesTod
tumbled

OMG. does anyone even know what he sounds like when he's singing with his native accent??? probably very embarrassing...the man is clearly a complete fraud....

Not really--just "a great bunch of guys." Some attire themselves in different suits and shirts according to their various moods. Mick just goes a step further, attiring himself in different personas and accents as well. It's the natural desire within to be an actor--throughout his career, he has always sought success in acting. And actors always have this innate desire to "be" other people. So, short of having found success in professional acting roles, Mick utilizes the next best thing--his public persona--as his outlet for the many "great bunch of guys" he seeks to portray. I'm sure the intent is more an unfulfilled creative drive [to be an actor] than deceptively fraudulent.

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: June 30, 2012 00:16

I love this tune. Mick poking at American western culture. Love the slight guitars in background. I actually run to this song. I also loved the Exile outtakes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2012 00:19

I actually run to this song.

........while guys like flacnvinyl run away from it ... strange world ain't it

ROCKMAN

Date: June 30, 2012 00:24

stonesnow
StonesTod
stonesnow
StonesTod
tumbled
StonesTod
tumbled

Not really--just "a great bunch of guys." Some attire themselves in different suits and shirts according to their various moods. Mick just goes a step further, attiring himself in different personas and accents as well. It's the natural desire within to be an actor--throughout his career, he has always sought success in acting. And actors always have this innate desire to "be" other people. So, short of having found success in professional acting roles, Mick utilizes the next best thing--his public persona--as his outlet for the many "great bunch of guys" he seeks to portray. I'm sure the intent is more an unfulfilled creative drive [to be an actor] than deceptively fraudulent.

Thank you. I can accept this explanation ,, I don't know why that southern type twangy voice disturbs me so much maybe its because he is inflecting a tone of "see how stupid I am becuase I have this accent" that I find annnoying. or maybe he is just plaing a role like you say. anyway. I like the song, I just don't like the inflections.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home