Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Co-Produces Aaron Neville Album
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: June 18, 2012 15:00

Keith Richards and longtime Stones producer, Don Was, have produced soul and R&B vocalist Aaron Neville's latest album, due for release on Blue Note Records this autumn.

“Aaron Neville is one of the most expressive and soulful artists of all time...it's such a thrill to hear him sing,” says Don Was. “His vocals have a way of reaching into your heart and stirring something really deep inside. It's a huge honor to welcome him to Blue Note Records and to be involved, along with the legendary Keith Richards, in the production of this album.”

The album consists of doo-wop covers that Neville selected himself. He says, “When I was a kid, doo-wop was like medicine to me,” Neville explains. “I didn’t care what else was goin’ on in the world as long as I could sing along with Pookie Hudson and The Spaniels, The Flamingos, The Clovers, Sonny Til and The Orioles, Clyde McPhatter—I was like a kid in a candy store.”

The album features Keith on guitar alongside session players Greg Leisz on guitar (Beck, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams), Benmont Tench on organ (founding member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), George G. Receli on drums (Bob Dylan, James Brown), and Tony Scherr on bass (Bill Frisell, Norah Jones, Rufus Wainwright).

[www.rollingstones.com]

Re: Keith Co-Produces Aaron Neville Album
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 18, 2012 15:23

Maybe he should have covered Rene & Georgette Magritte by Paul Simon ?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 18, 2012 16:24

so??????????????
jeroen

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 18, 2012 16:46

Keith looks quite nice

Date: June 18, 2012 16:57

Tongue in cheek comment from me, I'm afraid.

Rene & Georgette Magritte has considerable allusions to doo wop artists.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 18, 2012 17:10

HighwireC
The album features Keith on guitar

Right on

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 18, 2012 17:37

Maybe is true that he still can play
Good news

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 18, 2012 19:48

Aaron can sing, no doubt !

forget the 80's clothes, and listen to amazing grace with Joan Baez

[www.wolfgangsvault.com]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 18, 2012 21:17

I'd like to see Mick produce. I remember the tracks he did with Living Colour......
I think he would have a great feel for it with the right artist.

Date: June 19, 2012 03:36

HighwireC

Keith Richards and longtime Stones producer, Don Was, have produced soul and R&B vocalist Aaron Neville's latest album, due for release on Blue Note Records this autumn.

“Aaron Neville is one of the most expressive and soulful artists of all time...it's such a thrill to hear him sing,” says Don Was. “His vocals have a way of reaching into your heart and stirring something really deep inside. It's a huge honor to welcome him to Blue Note Records and to be involved, along with the legendary Keith Richards, in the production of this album.”

The album consists of doo-wop covers that Neville selected himself. He says, “When I was a kid, doo-wop was like medicine to me,” Neville explains. “I didn’t care what else was goin’ on in the world as long as I could sing along with Pookie Hudson and The Spaniels, The Flamingos, The Clovers, Sonny Til and The Orioles, Clyde McPhatter—I was like a kid in a candy store.”

The album features Keith on guitar alongside session players Greg Leisz on guitar (Beck, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams), Benmont Tench on organ (founding member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), George G. Receli on drums (Bob Dylan, James Brown), and Tony Scherr on bass (Bill Frisell, Norah Jones, Rufus Wainwright).

[www.rollingstones.com]

Wow! great pic! Three cool dudes, especially thewasman!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 20, 2012 23:35

Real great in close up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 20, 2012 23:54

Well I think my screen is to small...............

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: June 20, 2012 23:58

Brilliant!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 21, 2012 00:31

I have often wondered if this was the actual project Keith was working on with Steve Jordan. I still have my doubts that a Winos album has been in the works.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 21, 2012 00:47

Bashlets
I have often wondered if this was the actual project Keith was working on with Steve Jordan. I still have my doubts that a Winos album has been in the works.

I don't think so...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 26, 2011 21:37

Keith has been doing some recording with Pierre too. Don't know what for.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 28, 2011 17:52

(...) i also hope more of the sessions he did with Rob Fraboni, Blondie Chaplin, and George Recile 10 years ago surface. Hopefully this is what he's been working on with Pierre as well.

April 2011
Steve Jordan has also been working with Keith Richards at Germano – the pair have been writing and recording in Studio 1, with O’Donnell engineering on those sessions as well.

May 2011
Richards said he has been in the studio with drummer Steve Jordan and that an album "is starting to blossom."

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 24, 2011 09:50
Keith is still in the studio working. Not asking anyone to take my word for it, but a close source claims he's playing his ass off.

...but Teddy could say something new! winking smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 21, 2012 11:23

Aaron Neville doing doo wop should be pretty good.

Date: June 21, 2012 12:17

I really liked his gospel album produced by Joe Henry

Date: June 21, 2012 16:07

Bashlets

Keith's solo sessions the last few years did start out for a Winos album since the starting point were outtakes from Keith's first two albums, but his 2011 sessions were cut with only some of the former Winos but other musicians as well including some familiar faces. In that respect, it could be more like TALK IS CHEAP which had plenty of sidemen involved along with the Winos.

There really isn't huge commercial potential for a Keith solo album of this sort. If he did an album of covers that might sell as a novelty elder statesman release and earn critical acclaim, but not a straightforward rock album. I suspect that's why he keeps dropping hints that Mick could have any of these songs. Much the same happened with his abandoned mid-nineties solo album that made up a good half of BRIDGES TO BABYLON. The guy's really just working for the sake of it, it's not like he has a contract to fulfill.

As for whether it's the same as the Aaron Neville project, it's not. The solo sessions have been produced by Steve Jordan. I don't have a clue whether any of the tracks he cut a dozen years ago for Rob Fraboni are being considered for release (although some of the same players came back to work with Keith and Jordan in 2011). The Aaron Neville sessions, by contrast, were with Don Was and it appears came together quite quickly earlier this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-21 16:10 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: June 21, 2012 16:27

Rocky Dijon
Bashlets

Keith's solo sessions the last few years did start out for a Winos album since the starting point were outtakes from Keith's first two albums, but his 2011 sessions were cut with only some of the former Winos but other musicians as well including some familiar faces. In that respect, it could be more like TALK IS CHEAP which had plenty of sidemen involved along with the Winos.

There really isn't huge commercial potential for a Keith solo album of this sort. If he did an album of covers that might sell as a novelty elder statesman release and earn critical acclaim, but not a straightforward rock album. I suspect that's why he keeps dropping hints that Mick could have any of these songs. Much the same happened with his abandoned mid-nineties solo album that made up a good half of BRIDGES TO BABYLON. The guy's really just working for the sake of it, it's not like he has a contract to fulfill.

As for whether it's the same as the Aaron Neville project, it's not. The solo sessions have been produced by Steve Jordan. I don't have a clue whether any of the tracks he cut a dozen years ago for Rob Fraboni are being considered for release (although some of the same players came back to work with Keith and Jordan in 2011). The Aaron Neville sessions, by contrast, were with Don Was and it appears came together quite quickly earlier this year.

Do we have evidence on any abandoned Keith-solo album in the mid 90s?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 21, 2012 16:46

DandelionPowderman

There's something mentioned on www.nzentgraf.de, March 1996.

Date: June 21, 2012 16:52

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman

Thanks, Erik.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 21, 2012 20:15

mtaylor

Real great in close up

I stupid noticing that but did keith Richards shave his eyebrows or what?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: June 21, 2012 20:42

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman

From [www.nzentgraf.de]
March 1996: KEITH RICHARDS & THE X-PENSIVE WINOS. Near Ocho Rios, Jamaica, KR’s house. Recording of demo tracks.

Date: June 21, 2012 20:51

Rocky Dijon
Bashlets

There really isn't huge commercial potential for a Keith solo album of this sort. If he did an album of covers that might sell as a novelty elder statesman release and earn critical acclaim, but not a straightforward rock album. I suspect that's why he keeps dropping hints that Mick could have any of these songs. Much the same happened with his abandoned mid-nineties solo album that made up a good half of BRIDGES TO BABYLON (...)

Are you sure? Which of these 'abandoned mid-nineties' songs ended up on BTB?

Date: June 21, 2012 23:11

The songs for BRIDGES came from Mick and Keith's separate solo projects in 1996. Somewhere around the beginning of September 1996, Mick and Keith got their families together and listened to tapes of what the other was doing on their own. Allegedly the idea of pooling the material together was Keith's suggestion with Mick suggesting multiple producers and no compromising as he wanted freedom to experiment. Keith was agreeable at the outset so by the end of November 1996, there was a Stones tour and album agreed upon for the following year. That could all be rubbish and the impetus might have come from Cohl entirely. However, there were 1996 solo sessions. Keith cut tracks in Jamaica and New York/Connecticut and Mick worked on tracks in Atlanta with Dallas Austin producing. Eric Clapton played on an early version of "Already Over Me" at Mick's solo sessions. I believe Babyface was involved with Mick prior to the Stones sessions that didn't go over so well. This era was the start of things going quiet. Bill German was no longer covering their every move. Stones People Magazine, IORR, and Sticky Fingers were the best resources with Rob Fraboni the best source of reliable information for the period.

Date: June 21, 2012 23:16

Pretty sure in LIFE, Keith talks about cutting an early version of "You Don't Have to Mean It" with some of the Winos in Jamaica. This was likely during work on the first Wingless Angels album. I believe gospel tracks with Keith's sister-in-law Marsha were cut during this period as well. It could all be rubbish and Mick and Keith's solo sessions in 1996 might have always been intended for the Stones. That would be speculation. The story they told at the time was that the songs came from solo projects. Its likely that the Dust Brothers material and Danny Saber material was Mick's and the Don Was material and Rob Fraboni material was Keith's but of course they both leave stamps on one another's work so it's difficult to be certain.

Date: June 22, 2012 20:54

Rocky Dijon
Pretty sure in LIFE, Keith talks about cutting an early version of "You Don't Have to Mean It" with some of the Winos in Jamaica. This was likely during work on the first Wingless Angels album. I believe gospel tracks with Keith's sister-in-law Marsha were cut during this period as well. It could all be rubbish and Mick and Keith's solo sessions in 1996 might have always been intended for the Stones. That would be speculation. The story they told at the tim e was that the songs came from solo projects. Its likely that the Dust Brothers material and Danny Saber material was Mick's and the Don Was material and Rob Fraboni material was Keith's but of course they both leave stamps on one another's work so it's difficult to be certain.

many thanks rocky

Date: June 23, 2012 00:49

2001 March - May:
KEITH RICHARDS. New Jersey and/or New York and/or Connecticut, KR's basement studio. Recording of solo tracks. Additional musicians: Blondie Chaplin (gtr or keyb), Bobby Keys (sax), George Recile (dr)

2001 April: KR/SHERYL CROW. New York, unknown studio KR works on Sheryl Crows upcoming album incl. High Or Low (MJ/KR) -unverified

Date: June 23, 2012 03:51

"High or Low" is another BRIDGES TO BABYLON outtake. Rob Fraboni mentioned it in his Stones People Magazine interview in 1997. I believe all of the uncirculated outtakes Nico lists can be traced back to that interview with the exception of "Ever Changing World" which Don Was first mentioned to the LA Times in the Spring of 1997 when the track was earmarked for the album. This was when the project was still being called BLESSED POISON.

Date: June 23, 2012 14:40

"Ever Changing World"...i've never heard about this song

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home