Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
13 years out of 50
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 12, 2012 07:01

Although I love every album they've ever put out (yes, even Dirty Work), it seems odd that almost the entirety of the band's truly classic output was recorded between 1965 and 1977, running from the The Last Time in January '65 thru the end of the Some Girls sessions in late '77. (As we know, Start Me Up was recorded in this era as well.) Everything truly historic happend before Keith's 34th birthday.

What happened on December 18, 1977?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 07:09 by Send It To me.

Re: 13 years out of 50
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 12, 2012 11:45

What happened on December 18, 1977?

Bobby Keys celebrated his 34th birthday...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 12, 2012 12:08

Something happened to Richards way before December 18, 1977 - 'cause Black&Blue and Some Girls were largely Mick's brainchildren. That's when something happened to Jagger in the mid-80's - then the Stones were done

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 12, 2012 12:22

Rock 'n' Roll is a young man's game. You can play Rock 'n' Roll at any age, but there are very few truly great Rock 'n' Roll recordings made by people over the age of 35. Look at the Beach Boys. 50 years my ass. Almost all of their best stuff is at least 46 years old.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 12:26 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2012 16:25

Yeah, that's it. And if Tattoo You and the Still Life tour hadn't been that successful it would have ended there too.

Date: June 12, 2012 16:34

Luckily (for some of us), the magic was still there when they came back:

IMHO, these songs are way better than anything on Black And Blue, maybe with the exception for Memory Motel. And I love Black And Blue dearly.

Just to put things in context here, it's not like the band lost everything after Some Girls, not at all.

Date: June 12, 2012 16:42

What happened after Some Girls was that inspiration and creativity were replaced with professionalism and craftsmanship. There's no disgrace in that. Happens to everyone past the age of 35.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2012 16:43

tatters
What happened after Some Girls was that inspiration and creativity were replaced with professionalism and craftsmanship. There's no disgrace in that. Happens to everyone past the age of 35.

it's been almost 40 years since i turned 35 and it still hasn't happened. i am waiting...

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: June 12, 2012 16:43

The stones best work was with Brian Jones in the band. I am not saying that the stones have not turned out great music over the last 35 years. In fact, some of the stones work over the last 35 years would would equal some of the stones early work. I still beleive the stones have one more "satisfaction" type song in their creative minds. Now is the time to record it and release it for their 50th.

Date: June 12, 2012 16:50

StonesTod
tatters

it's been almost 40 years since i turned 35 and it still hasn't happened. i am waiting...

Okay, it happens to every talented person past the age of 35.

Date: June 12, 2012 16:52

tatters
StonesTod
tatters

Okay, it happens to every talented person past the age of 35.

thank god. i can stop waiting now.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2012 16:54

Come on, Dandelion P. Terrifying! Maybe the worst Stones song ever. Even the biggest fan must apply some sort of scrutiny. Terrifying is exactly what it says - terrifying!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 12, 2012 16:55

in 1978 Keith stopped taking the drugs that enabled him to sit there for 7 hours in a trance whilst playing the same riff until he got it just right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 16:55 by GravityBoy.

Date: June 12, 2012 17:01

Stoneage
Come on, Dandelion P. Terrifying! Maybe the worst Stones song ever. Even the biggest fan must apply some sort of scrutiny. Terrifying is exactly what it says - terrifying!

WHAT??? I love Terrifying. A cool jazzy, funky pearl with great sound and a cool vibe. Had it been on Exile, you'd have loved it...

SW gets too much rapping, imo. There are great songs in there, it just came out in the wrong decade (production)...

Date: June 12, 2012 17:08

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

WHAT??? I love Terrifying. A cool jazzy, funky pearl with great sound and a cool vibe. Had it been on Exile, you'd have loved it...

SW gets too much rapping, imo. There are great songs in there, it just came out in the wrong decade (production)...

i came out in the wrong decade, too.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 12, 2012 18:18

DandelionPowderman
Luckily (for some of us), the magic was still there when they came back

Indeed...

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 12, 2012 18:23

leteyer
DandelionPowderman
Luckily (for some of us), the magic was still there when they came back

Indeed...
+1

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 12, 2012 20:46

DandelionPowderman
Luckily (for some of us), the magic was still there when they came back:

I know we all wish we were there for the "magic" era, but sadly a lot of us were not.

That includes myself, who didn't see them live until July 9, 1975.

Which is not to say that a lot of "magic" didn't exist then or even later. While we can debate how much and for how long the "magic" ran, I tend to think of the Stones unrelenting "magic" era--when incredible, powerful music just flowed and flowed out of them as if they were sorcerers--was winding down in '72.

By '89 whatever "magic" they had left was sort of the Doug Henning variety. Some of their songs were given same form and had the illusion of magic, but it took a lot of suspension of disbelief to think that they were as good as the early stuff.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:22

I wish I had 13 outta 50 like THAT....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:41

GravityBoy
in 1978 Keith stopped taking the drugs that enabled him to sit there for 7 hours in a trance whilst playing the same riff until he got it just right.

Probably closest to the truth of it all, sadly. peace

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:49

claremont29
The stones best work was with Brian Jones in the band. I am not saying that the stones have not turned out great music over the last 35 years. In fact, some of the stones work over the last 35 years would would equal some of the stones early work. I still beleive the stones have one more "satisfaction" type song in their creative minds. Now is the time to record it and release it for their 50th.

I have a friend who quit listening to the Stones after Brian was dropped. I'm amused at all that my friend has missed. The entire Mick Taylor era? I can't say if Brian contributed anything significant to JJF, and he's not on HTW, or Brown Sugar. Those three singles are the RollingStones.2 equivalent of the three singles Satisfaction-Get Off of My Cloud-Paint It Black.

It's funny to think the Stones have another Satisfaction in their back pocket they've held on to for their 50th. Satisfaction was the result of constant touring and constant studio work, where their chops were honed to a fine point. A bunch of 70-Year Old men who barely see other for years at a time are not going to come up with something as feverish as Satisfaction. We'll be lucky if they come up with anything new at all. We'll be lucky if it's not some wheezy, retroish 'Remember When?' type number.

God bless Indian Girl and Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:01

Keith quit junk and Mick quit the Stones (as we knew and loved them)...

Hear me out...outwardly at least, it felt like the Stones were a unified force,..at least musically. It seems after Some Girls however that the split of musical tastes was brought to the forfront. Think about it. A lot of the post Some Girls stuff is not what I would like about the Stones. I mean take Emotional Rescue, Really! Does anyone here still actually listen to that song? I thought it was ridiculous when it came out and I still do. I remember cringing everytime it came on the radio. My point is that prior to 1974, that sort of thing would never have gotten past the band.

Let's face it, they stopped being as Mick would call it "that band" after Some Girls. I mean Tattoo You was the ultimate last gasp of the good ole' days. The 1978 tour was the last Stones freak show. The stage persona certainly changed for the 81/82 Jovan Stinkum tour. They dropped the comedy act and just did........well....??

It shows in the movie LSTNT....they seem to be going through the motions.Mick was jogging, doing his excercises vs. acting a fool. Woody wasnt being "picked on" much. KR was drunk off his ass.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:37

tatters
Rock 'n' Roll is a young man's game. You can play Rock 'n' Roll at any age, but there are very few truly great Rock 'n' Roll recordings made by people over the age of 35. Look at the Beach Boys. 50 years my ass. Almost all of their best stuff is at least 46 years old.

But look at Ray Davies. Take a listen to Workingman's Cafe from a few years back. Plenty of great recordings are made by people over 35, they're just not accepted by the ageist attitude of the general public--particularly if the recording artists in question had mainstream success before the age of 35.

Baseball is a young man's game. Rock n roll is an Everyman's art.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:05

First of all you are shortchanging them a little. If I'm correct Tattoo You was a mixture of old AND new songs and a lot of the older songs were reworked so that would extend their classic output a few years.

Secondly if all of their classics were recorded in the first 15 years or so it would be normal not abnormal. Most artists create most of their classic or infuential music in that time frame. Macca started out as a solo artist around 1970. Was anything after 1982 really classic?

Date: June 12, 2012 23:15

FrankM
Macca started out as a solo artist around 1970. Was anything after 1982 really classical?

1991 Liverpool Oratorio
1997 Standing Stone
1999 Working Classical
2006 Ecce Cor Meum
2011 Ocean's Kingdom

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:18

FrankM
First of all you are shortchanging them a little. If I'm correct Tattoo You was a mixture of old AND new songs and a lot of the older songs were reworked so that would extend their classic output a few years.

Secondly if all of their classics were recorded in the first 15 years or so it would be normal not abnormal. Most artists create most of their classic or infuential music in that time frame. Macca started out as a solo artist around 1970. Was anything after 1982 really classic?

Nope!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:20

FrankM

Actually, the only new song for Tattoo You was neighbors. All the rest fall within the 1973-78 range thereabouts.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:20

just b/c something is normal doesn't mean it makes sense!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:24

StonesTod
FrankM
Macca started out as a solo artist around 1970. Was anything after 1982 really classical?

1991 Liverpool Oratorio
1997 Standing Stone
1999 Working Classical
2006 Ecce Cor Meum
2011 Ocean's Kingdom

Classical maybe but I thought we were talking about creating classics i.e. songs that stand the test of time etc.. Ebony And Ivory was the last or one of the last Macca songs to really be a huge hit.

Date: June 12, 2012 23:28

FrankM
StonesTod
FrankM

1991 Liverpool Oratorio
1997 Standing Stone
1999 Working Classical
2006 Ecce Cor Meum
2011 Ocean's Kingdom

Classical maybe but I thought we were talking about creating classics i.e. songs that stand the test of time etc.. Ebony And Ivory was the last or one of the last Macca songs to really be a huge hit.

i have difficulty with english; it's my first language.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home