Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Toronto 75 taped by Mike Milliard?
Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 7, 2009 16:31

Does anyone know if the Toronto 75 shows from the first day of the tour were taped (and released by IMP and VGP for example) by the famous Mike M.? The quality espec. from the evening show is excellent for an audience tape and I do hear the whissels typically from Mike I thought.
Interesting also why this 75 release sounds better than most of the Stones bootlegs recorded in audience quality in the 90ties and later on except for the Rattlesnake and Crystal Cat releases.
The reason I am not sure is that I thought Mike M. recorded most of his gigs in the West Coast

Re: Toronto 75 taped by Mike Milliard?
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 16:36

I grab the opportunity of Kees topic to ask if anybody here had occasion to listen to the Pignose 10 CD set "The LA Tapes" and has compared with the other recordings, expecially the July 12 show.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 7, 2009 19:19

Whistles were Freezers' trademark

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: May 7, 2009 20:26

kees
Does anyone know if the Toronto 75 shows from the first day of the tour were taped (and released by IMP and VGP for example) by the famous Mike M.?

Do you mean Baton Rouge? These were taped by Freezer, another famous 70s taper. He also recorded the Jacksonville and San Antonio gigs as well as Mobile´72 and New Orleans´78 and some others which remain uncirculated. All of his tapes sound very good/excellent. He´s still around and posts over at The Trader´s Den.

Many will agree that he is notorious for being a very mild-mannered, quiet and gentle person grinning smiley

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 7, 2009 23:03

I believe San Antonio is still uncirculated, which is too bad. Anyone know whether he supposedly taped the first show or second show?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 8, 2009 00:20

"Many will agree that he is notorious for being a very mild-mannered, quiet and gentle person"
Yeah I remembered he tried to dig his hole here playing his usual mind-games (for newbies it's "what a load of high-gen sh!t you listen to. Too bad you ain't have access to my masters. But I'd rather be buried with them rather than sharing them with you". )
I also remember I, and others mercilessly kicked his @ss, until he took his bad manners and his sadism elsewhere. Still feel good about it winking smiley

RE Toronto'75. Kees I humbly think you're wrong... Tapers were local figures. They didn't travel much but they taped all the major acts touring in their area.
They sometimes put on their trading lists shows from outside of their turf, but it was 1st gen. tapes they had from the taper in a trade.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 8, 2009 01:29

I never thought the Baton Rouge shows were very well taped,myself.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 8, 2009 02:15

scottkeef
I never thought the Baton Rouge shows were very well taped,myself.

That's because mr Freezer haven't circulated low-gen versions of his recordings from those shows....at least they're not in circulation. Allthough he's shared 2-3 songs from Baton Rouge off his master tapes (available on "Any Port In A Storm Revisited" (VGP) - after VGP-EQing)....those tracks sound way better than all other Baton Rouge 1975 bootlegs
I also have great pleasure of Freezer's recording of Bowie's 1978 concert in Baton Rouge....even though it's a high-generation copy

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: May 8, 2009 06:51

I'm guessing that the same guy who taped the Toronto '75 Stones show was the same guy who did The Who in '75 and McCartney and Wings in '76- all three sound very similar and are very good recordings IMO.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I tend to find Millard's recordings a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong- the clarity of the sound is fantastic, but most of the ones I've heard have way too much high end and not enough bass for my taste. No balls to the sound at all IMO. I had his July 13/75 recording and it just sounded way too brittle to my ears. And, I admit, I have to question the morals, as it were, behind pretending to be disabled in order to get good seats. For all of Mike's disdain for bootleggers, his infamous wheelchair story sounds like something right out of Clinton Heylin's "Bootleg!" book. But I digress...

Date: May 8, 2009 15:27

Without Millard's wheelchair all that would be left of the L.A.75 residency would be the average SB from July 11 sad smiley

Posted by: Alexander ()
Date: May 12, 2009 07:35

dcba
I also remember I, and others mercilessly kicked his @ss, until he took his bad manners and his sadism elsewhere. Still feel good about it winking smiley

Sure you did, and thanks for getting him to cut loose with his masters.

lol....

Date: May 12, 2009 07:53

texas fan
I believe San Antonio is still uncirculated, which is too bad. Anyone know whether he supposedly taped the first show or second show?

supposedly he taped both of the San Antonio shows, as well as Baton Rouge, Jacksonville and Memphis and maybe others. He posted a list on the old STG site saying that he taped others on the 1975 tour, but didn't tell which others he did.

and does anyone actually know if the circulating Baton Rouge shows are complete, or were they edited before being turned into the high gen copies that we all have?

was Heartbreaker actually played in Baton Rouge in 1975?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 12, 2009 10:54

An iorr-ean who attended both Baton Rouge shows, said Heartbreaker was performed at the second one

...and here's the thread: [www.iorr.org] [bottom of the page]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 11:07 by Sohoe.

Date: May 13, 2009 03:46

Sohoe
An iorr-ean who attended both Baton Rouge shows, said Heartbreaker was performed at the second one

Who edited the tapes and took out all the other material and where can I get a complete copy.

Maybe since dcba says he ran off freezer, maybe dcba has the full shows to share?

So who's got a complete copy of both shows?

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 13, 2009 03:56

Alexander
Sohoe

Who edited the tapes and took out all the other material and where can I get a complete copy.

Maybe since dcba says he ran off freezer, maybe dcba has the full shows to share?

So who's got a complete copy of both shows?
..and where the hell is Denver???

Date: May 14, 2009 04:14

So which one of you big bad Freezer-haters has a copy of the whole Baton Rouge show with Heartbreaker?

Is there any boot that has the whole show?

Does anybody out there have it?

I'm waving money in my hand for that whole show...... please.

Date: May 14, 2009 12:01

Alex if you wanna mate with Freezer you'll find him at Dime (he never shared a second of music btw, only "you bunch of slugs"-type comments) or Trader's Den and send him a P.M.

If you bring home more than a V.D. and a sore hole share your experience here>grinning smiley<

Date: May 16, 2009 06:43

Wow.

You really are pissed off that you never get anything from freezer but a laugh in your face, dcba. You should seek some professional help.

If freezer never shared anything, how did the Baton Rouge shows circulate?

Now who out there actually has the complete Baton Rouge shows from 1975.

Obviously dcba has some freezer-burned issues, so I can't expect any truthful answers from him or her......

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 07:27

I am of the of the opinion that Freezer DID NOT actually record either of the San Antonio TOTA concerts despite his boasting of doing so!!! NOR did he record Denver yet another show he talks about having made a recording. And no just in case he did record those that does not automaticlly make use all deserving or give us the right to have then BUT it surely would be super if Freezer could back up his words by giving us a few SA tracks (i.e. a high gen. recording as he has done with all his other Stones recordings).

Freezer if you are reading this, please just do the RIGHT thing and share what you have with the rest of us fanatics!!! What good is it taking it all to the grave with you when their is an entire batch of Stones fans who would forever be indebted!

Date: May 16, 2009 10:34

All I want is a complete copy of Baton Rouge (Late) 1975 with Heartbreaker.

I don't care about anyone's power struggle with some 50 year old taper.

Heartbreaker is my fav Stones song from the 1970s and the 1975 TOTA is my favorite Stones tour.

I don't care about all the rest of the dramas and I don't care about who chased who off.

I do find it a bit strange to repeatedly brag about chasing somebody off who has something everybody wants, before it was obtained.

That just seems stupid.

Of course, it would be nice to get the San Antonio shows if Heartbreaker was played in the shows and I could get that also.

I've already collected just about every show where the boys played Heartbreaker. I just want more, okay?

Please keep your comments about aids and your self-righteous anger to yourself. That was totally unnecessary.

If I said anything to warrant that anger, I apologize.

I only care about the music.

Thanks to all who can contribute some information to the discussion.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 16, 2009 17:32

well said

Date: June 11, 2012 15:52

RIP Alexander/Freezer/Artie... May you finally find some peace of mind.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:17

RIP Freezer.

How did you find out he had passed dcba?

Date: June 11, 2012 19:07

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 11, 2012 19:56

smoking smileywhat an selfiss ahole

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: June 11, 2012 20:52

I do not believe Heartbreaker was performed at the second Baton Rouge show. Journalist Barbara Charone posted a review of both shows in Sounds (I think - could be wrong) and she noted all songs played. I don't believe she noted Heartbreaker. We have the complete Baton Rouge tapes. Ideas that the Stones played more songs at Baton Rouge have floated around but are unfounded. Journalists reporting on the shows note no extra songs other than the ones we know from the tapes. Barbara Charone is also the reason we know the setlists from both El Mocambo nights. She was writing a book about Keith and was part of his inner circle at that time.

Date: June 11, 2012 21:32

"I do not believe Heartbreaker was performed at the second Baton Rouge show"

I concur : Freezer was famous for f@cking with ppl's minds. He'd always try to let you think the version of his tape you had was flawed : it was either "super-high gen" or "incomplete". He was just enraged to see that some tape of his he sent to a trader in the 70's could be shared with everyone in the 2000's.

He could have made life easier for us Stones fans by releasing the Master tape of his Baton Rouge'75 recordings, but the versions we have are pretty good already.

He apparently sent a (degraded?) copy of his San Antonio'75 Master to the Moderator of one of the biggest torrent sites so this one might pop up one day.

As for his decent-sounding tape of the NOLA'78 show, well... grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 11, 2012 21:49

Some of this waffle reminds me of the guy who has the Glasgow 1966 recording. thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-11 22:02 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 11, 2012 23:19

I don't think Mike Millard ever recording anything outside of southern California.

Date: June 11, 2012 23:33

yeah hoarders are hoarders but imo the tape trading community has lost far more material in house fires, botched movings, accidental tape erasures etc etc.

And I don't count the great aud tapes that got dumped once they were pressed on vinyl...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home