Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Under My Thumb" as Opening Number
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 9, 2012 12:02

Anyone know how "Under My Thumb" was chosen to be the opening number for the'81-'82 tour?

It's a relatively obscure song which always struck me as an odd choice to begin a stadium show with.

Re: "Under My Thumb" as Opening Number
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 9, 2012 12:30

I don't think it's obscure at all. I was actually quite surprised to discover that it wasnt a single, actually.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 12:43

And this is the finest version of it in my opinion..... In fact the only thing wrong with it is its not long enough!

Oops drifting slightly off topic not quite an opening number

What a drag it is gettin' old

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 13:09 by 68to72.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 13:26

Brilliant choice as opening song on that tour. It was guitar heavy back then.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 9, 2012 14:10

I always liked them for not opening with a number they have already used.
But that is gone since 2002.

If they open with UMT - it has to be played with a guitar. Played by Keith.

So it canĀ“t be an opening number...

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 15:03

I remember being absolutely ecstatic when I heard them launch into it in 1981. Unlike 78 when they opened in the same venue with Let It Rock, all 80,000 people in attendance knew Under My Thumb.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 9, 2012 15:41

It's on Hot Rocks; so it's not even remotely obscure, even if it isn't a true war horse. And, being the opener of Got Live If You Want It, it's a nod to the old school Stones. It was a perfect opener in 1981-82, when they got the tempo right. However, it was cheesy when Chuck did the intro on the last tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 15:44 by ab.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 9, 2012 16:40

68to72
And this is the finest version of it in my opinion..... In fact the only thing wrong with it is its not long enough!

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: June 9, 2012 17:20

68to72

Finest version, that's because the 69 tour was their best tour! The band looked great and they sounded great, no brass section, no backing singers etc etc just raw and great!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 9, 2012 17:29

That's one of those songs that grew over the years in stature. I've always found the studio version blows away any kind of electric version they've attempted. Brians marimbas, Bill's bass and Charlie's drums are the ultimate cool.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 9, 2012 17:29

Harlem Shuffler
Anyone know how "Under My Thumb" was chosen to be the opening number for the'81-'82 tour?

It's a relatively obscure song which always struck me as an odd choice to begin a stadium show with.

It wasn't obscure at all. It had also opened their shows in 1966 and was the song they were playing in the 'Gimme Shelter' movie when Hunter was stabbed.

Wasnt really seen as an odd choice in the slightest - then again, back then they probably reckoned that most of the people who came to their shows had a grasp of their back catalogue which extended beyond their latest greatest hits compilation.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 9, 2012 17:53

I've had the pleasure to see them on every tour since 76 and I have to say that UMT is the best opening song I've seen/heard them use. The 82 arrangement was fantastic, the UK shows went crazy when they kicked into it...great guitar playing from Keith.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 19:01

I think the '69 performance finds the song and the band at its sexiest. I remember recognizing and welcoming the opening chords of that song the wee hours of 11/9/69 at the Forum. I was very pleased that the UMT>I'm Free medley was released in the deluxe Ya-Ya's set. Taylor's sweet and beautiful little solo during the latter song comes out of no where and breaks new ground for the band.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2012 19:10

Also had originally thought this was a single...great choice for an opening number and not at all obscure.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 20:57

24FPS
That's one of those songs that grew over the years in stature. I've always found the studio version blows away any kind of electric version they've attempted. Brians marimbas, Bill's bass and Charlie's drums are the ultimate cool.

Completely disagree, the Marimba is annoying - Jones needed to pick up a guitar. Love both 69 and 81 versions, even though they are completely different. Hate the Chuck version.

Date: June 10, 2012 08:12

I like the arrangement on the '69 tour, but I'll still take the Altamont version over the Madison Square Garden one. There's a certain tension in that one (not surprising given the conditions surrounding them at the time) that the MSG version is missing. Great performance under the circumstances...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-10 08:12 by GetRhythmicProductions.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 10, 2012 08:43

'69 Under My Thumb was one of the definitive Stones moments. '81 made for a pretty exciting opener.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 10, 2012 10:01

ab
It's on Hot Rocks; so it's not even remotely obscure, even if it isn't a true war horse. And, being the opener of Got Live If You Want It, it's a nod to the old school Stones. It was a perfect opener in 1981-82, when they got the tempo right. However, it was cheesy when Chuck did the intro on the last tour.

Growing up a not-yet Stones fan it was probably the song I heard second to most. Satisfaction being most, then UMT. It gets a lot of play on "Oldies" radio, much more so than on "Classic Rock" radio.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 10, 2012 10:34

tkl7
24FPS

Completely disagree, the Marimba is annoying - Jones needed to pick up a guitar. Love both 69 and 81 versions, even though they are completely different. Hate the Chuck version.

The marimba's annoying? That makes the whole song. To each his own.
Back in the old days, I used to hear Thumb a lot, even on AM Top-40 radio where they'd play a few album cuts from time to time. I've listened an air check from KHJ in LA from 1966 where the played it. As for who chose it, it's gotta be Jagger.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 10, 2012 14:50

It appears that my original post needs to be clarified.

I said "Under My Thumb" is a relatively obscure song. If you asked Joe Public what band he associates "Satisfaction" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash" with, it's highly likely that he'd know it was the Stones but if you asked about album tracks such as "Gimme Shelter" or "Wild Horses", there's a good but lesser chance that he'd come up with the right answer.

I would suggest that "Under My Thumb" would prove more taxing for Joe P. That's why I said that it's a relatively obscure song.

BTW, I don't think the band were wrong to select "Under My Thumb" or that it's not worthy as an opening number but I'd love to know who originally suggested it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 10, 2012 15:00

Harlem Shuffler
It appears that my original post needs to be clarified.

I said "Under My Thumb" is a relatively obscure song. If you asked Joe Public what band he associates "Satisfaction" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash" with, it's highly likely that he'd know it was the Stones but if you asked about album tracks such as "Gimme Shelter" or "Wild Horses", there's a good but lesser chance that he'd come up with the right answer.

I would suggest that "Under My Thumb" would prove more taxing for Joe P. That's why I said that it's a relatively obscure song.

BTW, I don't think the band were wrong to select "Under My Thumb" or that it's not worthy as an opening number but I'd love to know who originally suggested it.

I get what you're saying, but I still wouldn't describe it as being obscure in any way. Anyone who was a music fan in the 60's is likely to know this record. I just think 'obscure' was a poor choice of word. IMO, Not Fade Away is no more well known.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 10, 2012 15:44

Always loved that one. And they managed to sort of "update" the song, it sounded fresh and modern. I think Wyman's bass had something to do with that.

Posted by: boituvense ()
Date: June 10, 2012 15:57

Perfect.....this is the opening act perfect.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 10, 2012 16:40

I think there are multiple songs that could fit this "bill"

Not Fade Away
Last Time
Start me Up
Rocks off just to name a few

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 10, 2012 17:18

boituvense
Perfect.....this is the opening act perfect.

how can that be when the opening riff was a shambles like in both wolfgangs vault recordings ?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 11, 2012 15:48

I always liked the studio version - the bass was brilliant, a kind of inverted version of the main riff, and Brian's guitar - perfect guitar licks. Then there's the instrumental part (without drums). I used to listen to it trying to work our the guitar parts when I was about 12 years old.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:08

TeddyB1018
'69 Under My Thumb was one of the definitive Stones moments. '81 made for a pretty exciting opener.

Exciting opener, than all down hill after that.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:38

tomk
tkl7
24FPS

The marimba's annoying? That makes the whole song. To each his own.
Back in the old days, I used to hear Thumb a lot, even on AM Top-40 radio where they'd play a few album cuts from time to time. I've listened an air check from KHJ in LA from 1966 where the played it. As for who chose it, it's gotta be Jagger.

No Keith's guitar makes the song, and it is difficult to hear it buried under the annoying marimba.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 11, 2012 16:54

81 was a good tour

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 11, 2012 23:49

What about this version?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home