Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Queen's Diamond Jubilee
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 3, 2012 16:23

As I type this, the Thames River Pageant is getting under way. Naturally, this whole thing is a big deal in the UK right now. We are always told, and I tend to believe it, that the British Royal Family is loved all over the world and that the US in particular would die to have sometnhing similar but have to turn their President and his lady into 'royalty' instead.

So, you guys who live outside UK, where do you live and what interest if any is there is these proceedings? And if you could would you like to be here to be part of it?

Re: OT: Queen's Diamond Jubilee
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 3, 2012 18:15

As someone living in the UK and with this affront to sanity I thought I'd rather listen to Teagueraw's new remaster of the '72 tour......................so I did............drinking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 3, 2012 18:18

I expect this thread will go down the political or xenophobic route pretty quickly....

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 3, 2012 18:26

Gazza
I expect this thread will go down the political or xenophobic route pretty quickly....

Certainly will not make Wikipedia!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 3, 2012 18:26

Elmo
As I type this, the Thames River Pageant is getting under way. Naturally, this whole thing is a big deal in the UK right now. We are always told, and I tend to believe it, that the British Royal Family is loved all over the world and that the US in particular would die to have sometnhing similar but have to turn their President and his lady into 'royalty' instead.

So, you guys who live outside UK, where do you live and what interest if any is there is these proceedings? And if you could would you like to be here to be part of it?

Here in Los Angeles, there are some people who are genuinely interested in this sort of thing but by and large, it seems we're told we SHOULD be excited and/or interested by the various news outlets. Therefore, there's coverage here about it. Me, I'll tune in to see some of the musical performances, but whether they're on because of some Jubilee or that we haven't seen McCartney do "Let It Be" often enough on TV, I couldn't care less.

As far as American "royalty" is concerned, I'd suggest that early on, people tended to look at the Rockefellers that way and then the Kennedy family. The Kennedys seem to be fading in any real influence any more, however.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 3, 2012 18:40

I think what bothers people is the fact that no one should be born into royalty.

Kennedys , Rockefellers etc.. worked their way into notoriety.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 3, 2012 19:47

Waste of money

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 3, 2012 20:02

GOO
Waste of money

The families of the workers employed by the companies who manufacture the goods for the event would disagree with you.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 3, 2012 20:32

Really sad and desparate. Pissing down with rain, a procession/floatella of tatty boats and a bit of classical music thrown in at the end. Just about sums us English up. Complete waste of time and money....even the Queen looked rocked off by it all. Probably couldn't wait to get back to the palace and get her feet up, and I'm sure Wills and Kate had far better things to do winking smiley

Date: June 3, 2012 20:53

And Sex Pistols rocking the boat and playing God save the queensmoking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 4, 2012 04:07

The Queens Diamond Jubilee is the first of the three big anniversaries in Great Britain this year next The Stones then followed by James Bond.But the Queen what a great lady smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: June 4, 2012 05:14

Daily Mail: Top 13 Music Artists during the reign of Queen Elizabeth

1. Beatles
2. Elvis Presley
3. Cliff Richard
4. Madonna
5. Michael Jackson
6. Elton John
7. Queen
8. Abba
9. David Bowie
10. Rihanna
11. Paul McCartney
12. Kylie Minogue
13. Rolling Stones

From the article: "There are some surprising entries with Rihanna, who charted
for the first time in only 2005 is in tenth place, yet The Rolling Stones - who
racked up their first hit in 1963 - make it to only number 13."

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Plus: L'Wren tweeted incessantly and breathlessly about the Queen of the Thames.
Sheesh. I know governments support the opera and classical orchestras and
monumental modern sculpture in public places, and sometimes even rock and
rollers to ease the fear about SARS, so I suppose there's no real reason to
complain about the British government supporting this particular Clown Troupe,
but still, quite a lot of money per laugh, I think.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 4, 2012 05:21

Bostonstranglerno9
And the police raided the boat as Richard Branson told them, "We're doing nothing wrong!" GOD SAVE THE QUEEN was writren in "honor" of the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Ironic Branson later got knighted.

I saw John Lydon on TV a few years ago say to some journalists, "I must praise the Queen for her longevity, because it keeps her stupid son off the throne."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 4, 2012 06:26

Title5Take1
Bostonstranglerno9
And the police raided the boat as Richard Branson told them, "We're doing nothing wrong!" GOD SAVE THE QUEEN was writren in "honor" of the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Ironic Branson later got knighted.

I saw John Lydon on TV a few years ago say to some journalists, "I must praise the Queen for her longevity, because it keeps her stupid son off the throne."

God save the Queen and her fascist regime...as someone once said. But seriously, the monarchy - silly as it is - at least has a bit of enjoyable pageantry and tradition to it. If they got rid of it they'd just have some silly figurehead president to cut ribbons and bestow medals, like in Germany and Italy. If you're going to have a powerless head of state, might as well pull out all the stops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 06:31 by 71Tele.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 4, 2012 09:26

This is the 21st Century.

Why does the Queen STILL own the mineral rights in Australia?

Why are we bowing to this hereditary nonsense.

What did the Queen ever do for us?

Look at the mess Britain became in her 60 years.

Vive la republic.

Parasites, the lot of them.

John Lennon was the only one who did the right thing.

Date: June 4, 2012 09:28

I heard a queen (Elton John), was playing for the Queen tonight.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 4, 2012 17:24

Elmo
the British Royal Family is loved all over the world

eye rolling smiley

Date: June 4, 2012 17:39

Koen
Elmo
the British Royal Family is loved all over the world

eye rolling smiley

ehsmoking smiley

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: June 4, 2012 18:35

GravityBoy

John Lennon was the only one who did the right thing.

John Lennon was a member of the royal family? I must have been absent from school the day they told us that.....

Date: June 4, 2012 18:57

Still a waste of money

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2012 19:04

Two days off work! Thank you, Queenie! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 4, 2012 19:05

Typical IORR negativity. I watched some of the coverage.I thought it was a nice ceremony and a nice tribute.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 4, 2012 19:06

Big Al
Two days off work! Thank you, Queenie! >grinning smiley<
Go,go,go Little Queenie!smileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: June 4, 2012 19:31

sweetcharmedlife
Typical IORR negativity. I watched some of the coverage.I thought it was a nice ceremony and a nice tribute.

Exactly. I didn't go but plenty of others did and seemed to enjoy it.

There's just a few people who aren't happy unless they've got something to moan about

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 4, 2012 19:42

What's the use ?
I think you should be born in England to get the thing...and to give some really good statements about it, if not...confused smiley

HMN

Date: June 4, 2012 20:50

*******So, you guys who live outside UK, where do you live and what interest if any is there is these proceedings?******

-----------

well, as a Canadian, let me tell you where I stand with this monorchy stuff. as a canadian I'm annoyed every time our government blows money on giving "our queen" and her family a vacation. i'm annoyed a picture of her is even on our money. i'm not keen on the monarchy (it's an affront to equality and democracy) and is based on the (frankly ridiculous) idea that birth is the best way to pick a head of state. do people really agree that some of us are just born to be Kings/Queens/Princes or Princesses? she (Queen) seems like she's a decent egg though and I suspect she's a fair bit brighter and tougher than she's given credit for, but the monarchy reinforces inequality and publicly displays how some people are superior to others simply due to the family they were born in. if royals have any value, they are the living breathing negation of the myth of genetic superiority. there are far more important things to be worrying about than the anniversary of someone putting on an expensive hat, or how many people ooh and aah over what new outfit Kate Middleton is wearing. it's a glorified tourist attraction.

Posted by: wullybully ()
Date: June 4, 2012 20:52

Are there any livestreams?

Date: June 4, 2012 21:16

Prince Philip in hospital

Posted by: wullybully ()
Date: June 4, 2012 21:42

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 4, 2012 22:27

Nothing personal against the Royal Family but not much of an accomplishment imo when you consider you are appointed to be King or Queen by birthright and your only requirement for longevity is staying alive.

With all the money spent on these royal ceremonies they can probably house every homeless person in England.

Again nothing personal against The Royals- just sick of aristocrats in general whether they are in England or America.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 22:50 by FrankM.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home