Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Bobby Womack about Mick Jagger
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 9, 2012 23:58

lem motlow
PROUDMARY-"I really can not understand Jagger's attitude towards it. For all these years he did not react at all - not to the press manipulation, not to Richads' rewriting the history, not to the ridicule...
Why?
He did not care? He's too stupid to understand what it is for him to lose? Too arrogant to pay attention to Richards and Rose?"

i dont know mick,i've never met him.but one thing i've learned in life is that if you want to understand a person and their actions put yourself in their position.

what mick sees is that when people approach him they are still in awe,they ask for autograghs, they want to speak with him,they want his attention.
when he plays live, huge amounts of people show up to see him and when he leaves the stage during keiths set a great deal of these people simply step out for a smoke,a drink or a trip to the bathroom,that says a great deal.

he's also wealthy and a father and as such knows quite well how to deal with spoiled children.so to put it bluntly,he doesnt give a shit.

Spoiled children should be punished sometimes - then they'll realize that they can't always get what they want.
Mick did not pay attention to Keith's "noise" and this was a big mistake. He didn't give a shit about a virtual/paper reality 'couse he was too busy with the real Stones work - meanwhile Richards/Rose team very much ruined his reputation. It's just that with LIFE they have gone too far - and now the reverse reaction has started

Date: June 10, 2012 00:21

stupidguy2
Let me get this straight. You are suggesting that ProudMary is ...what?
A fan of Mick Jagger.
We're all on this board Hansie, everyday, posting comments...
Like you. Whenever some of you try to mock Mary for her passion - I'm amused.
We're all here, defending either Mick, Keith, the Stones.....offering opinions, theories....
funny that when people defend Mick - some of you get your panties in a wad and pretend you are too cool.
Then what are you doing here?

This is exactly what I'm talking about - the distortion of the Jagger's reputation. Let's take this board - one can say proudly: "I am great fan of Keith and the Stones fan" - it's perfectly ok.
But to say: I'm Mick fan and the Stones fan - there is something wrong about it, as if the two are incompatible.

Weird, isn't it?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 10, 2012 17:26

More than a Jagger/Richards polarity, I think its the wider issue of most of us take the band, their music, and legacy too seriously. Let's face it, most of the millions who love this band don't spend their time on a message board. Since it means so much to us, we all have set ways of viewing the band's history and viewing them as people. When others disagree with our views or post something we don't like, some of us become rude and do our best to discredit or mock or intimidate so that our view prevails. It happens a lot on messageboards. On rare occasions, I've been the victim of this childish behavior. I've also been guilty of taking part in it as well. About the only thing you can do is own up and try not to do it again.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 10, 2012 20:36

Thank you Rocky for your sensible words. I am new to IORR, have been following it for a while but have been hesitant to post anything, partly out of fear of getting my head bitten off. I love and have been amazed at how much knowledge many on this forum have but I have to agree that some people do tend to get way too angry when someone disagrees with them. On the other hand, most of you seem like very nice people, and after all anyone who loves the Stones, whatever their current view of the band and it's individual members, is OK with me!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 10, 2012 20:55

Thanks for your wise words Rocky Dijon.
And welcome to the board latebloomer.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 11, 2012 09:37

proudmary
DandelionPowderman
proudmary
lem motlow

maybe jagger shouldnt have fired jane rose after all, shes seems pretty good at what she doeas.

I think Mick fired her because she started to promote her agenda while she was still working for the Stones.
By her agenda I mean "Keith's legend" - Keith is the musical genius behind Stones who single-handedly wrote all the great music, he is the heart and the soul of the band, the keeper of the spirit etc, etc... In her opinion this could not be achieved without destroying the image of Jagger - following Lenin, who famously said: "Destroy the Old to Build the New!"
So Richards/Rose team enthusiastically worked on this goal for the past 25 years. And I have to say, they've succeeded in all their endeavors.
While Richards' motives are clear, I really can not understand Jagger's attitude towards it. For all these years he did not react at all - not to the press manipulation, not to Richads' rewriting the history, not to the ridicule...
Why?
He did not care? He's too stupid to understand what it is for him to lose? Too arrogant to pay attention to Richards and Rose?

At the same time Mick did not stop to deal with the Stones and their legacy. The latest example of this attention - it's Exile reissue in 2010 when the Stones were at the center of attention,media began to talk about them seriously - as a cultural phenomenon, and their impact.
And then there was this damn book. I don't want to talk about what it had done for the Jagger \ Richards myth which was one of the foundations of the Stones charm and for their real working relationship.
In my eyes, its main drawback is that it completely trivialized the Stones once and for all placing them to the usual field - drugs,drugs, more drugs, debauchery, drinking, tensions with Jagger, groupies, more Jagger bashing...
I think that Jagger gave up after that

I think Mick knew perfectly well that there were even bigger things to come after the Exile-release: A 50th anniversary - and that is bigger than the both of them, right?

Yes, we definitely see a lot of activity concerning the 50th anniversary

We're not supposed to "see" it yet winking smiley

Date: June 11, 2012 09:42

Rocky Dijon
More than a Jagger/Richards polarity, I think its the wider issue of most of us take the band, their music, and legacy too seriously. Let's face it, most of the millions who love this band don't spend their time on a message board. Since it means so much to us, we all have set ways of viewing the band's history and viewing them as people. When others disagree with our views or post something we don't like, some of us become rude and do our best to discredit or mock or intimidate so that our view prevails. It happens a lot on messageboards. On rare occasions, I've been the victim of this childish behavior. I've also been guilty of taking part in it as well. About the only thing you can do is own up and try not to do it again.

This is the kind of posts this message board needs, imo!

We are really only a few people in a hardcore fan-bubble here,

The average Joe Blow doesn't give a hoot about either Life or any supposedly ongoing conflict between band members. They care about the outcome - the music!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 12, 2012 00:01

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

The average Joe Blow doesn't give a hoot about either Life or any supposedly ongoing conflict between band members. They care about the outcome - the music!

Apparently, several thousand Joe Blow's did care about Life as the book topped The NY Times non-fiction bestseller list as soon as it debuted.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 12, 2012 00:06

I could be mistaken but I believe my opiate friend meant the average fan couldn't care less about the controversy over the todger remark and other quotes from the book rather than suggesting that LIFE wasn't a bestseller.

Date: June 12, 2012 11:43

Richards intentionally and very publicly mocked his creative partner and bandmate - and did so with two goals:
First - for the money.
All the publicity for the book was based on the discussion of this very moment (which is why he talked about this in the very first interview, J.Rose then not removed anything form the article and then it gone viral)
Second - to destroy Jagger's image.
Richards humiliated both Mick's artistic and personal reputation. Not only KR attributed all the credit for the music, for the direction and for the image of band to himself, but he also ridiculed Mick's sex appeal(arguing that Mick having small penis is the cause of his lack of confidence - and hence the result - his womanizing)

Whether the "controversy over the todger remark and other quotes from the book" drew attention of numerous Stones fans - it is irrelevant. Richards did it, it's the fact - so if no one has seen or heard it, we'll sweep it under the rug as if it never existed?
But I do not agree in principle that average fan couldn't care less about LIFE million readers bought the book and even more people read the interviews and excerpts from it and the majority took it all as a fact. Richards - he's the Rolling Stones. Jagger - he's a tiny todger with the superiority complex.
Average fans don't care about Stones music anymore- no one paid attention to the Some Girls bonus disk or archival releases with the beautiful music.As Pete Townshend put it: "But why would you want to buy something by Mick? Actually what we really want is to observe him going through the agony of being on stage with Keith Richards on a bad night.” Bingo!

The only thing that important at this stage of their career is the Stones legacy. And Keith caused the irreparable damage to it. He has long ceased to be a musician, so he turned the Stones into a cheap soap opera - because he's sure only that can bring some interest to them (to him at least).
Of course in a big perspective it is all nonsense. In 10-20 years all this stuff will be forgotten. Who remembers now about the conflict between McCartney and Lennon - but it took 30 years to forget it. But to be perfectly honest, the Stones are not the Beatles - and the music itself has never been their main and the only attractive element.

Date: June 12, 2012 12:14

uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

Apparently, several thousand Joe Blow's did care about Life as the book topped The NY Times non-fiction bestseller list as soon as it debuted.

To put it more precisely, they don't care about the so-called scandal it supposedly caused...

Date: June 12, 2012 12:19

proudmary
Richards intentionally and very publicly mocked his creative partner and bandmate - and did so with two goals:
First - for the money.
All the publicity for the book was based on the discussion of this very moment (which is why he talked about this in the very first interview, J.Rose then not removed anything form the article and then it gone viral)
Richards humiliated both Mick's artistic and personal reputation. Not only KR attributed all the credit for the music, for the direction and for the image of band to himself, but he also ridiculed Mick's sex appeal(arguing that Mick having small penis is the cause of his lack of confidence - and hence the result - his womanizing)

Whether the "controversy over the todger remark and other quotes from the book" drew attention of numerous Stones fans - it is irrelevant. Richards did it, it's the fact - so if no one has seen or heard it, we'll sweep it under the rug as if it never existed?
But I do not agree in principle that average fan couldn't care less about LIFE million readers bought the book and even more people read the interviews and excerpts from it and the majority took it all as a fact. Richards - he's the Rolling Stones. Jagger - he's a tiny todger with the superiority complex.
Average fans don't care about Stones music anymore- no one paid attention to the Some Girls bonus disk or archival releases with the beautiful music.As Pete Townshend put it: "But why would you want to buy something by Mick? Actually what we really want is to observe him going through the agony of being on stage with Keith Richards on a bad night.” Bingo!

The only thing that important at this stage of their career is the Stones legacy. And Keith caused the irreparable damage to it. He has long ceased to be a musician, so he turned the Stones into a cheap soap opera - because he's sure only that can bring some interest to them (to him at least).
Of course in a big perspective it is all nonsense. In 10-20 years all this stuff will be forgotten. Who remembers now about the conflict between McCartney and Lennon - but it took 30 years to forget it. But to be perfectly honest, the Stones are not the Beatles - and the music itself has never been their main and the only attractive element.

It IS forgotten. They are doing videos together now, have been rehearsing for three weeks and there is plenty more to come.

Can't you please lay this one to rest, proudmary?

Date: June 12, 2012 12:33

DandelionPowderman
proudmary
First - for the money.

It IS forgotten. They are doing videos together now, have been rehearsing for three weeks and there is plenty more to come.

I've not heard anything about it - is it some new information?
They were at the studio for the week in May - mostly for a documentary - and in fact this movie is the only thing to come to mark the anniversary.

It ISN'T forgotten but I swear I will not say another word about this book

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 12:48 by proudmary.

Date: June 12, 2012 12:41

proudmary
DandelionPowderman
proudmary
First - for the money.

They were at the studio for the week in May - mostly for a documentary - and in fact this movie is the only thing to come to mark the anniversary.

It ISN'T forgotten but I swear I will not say another word about it

Can you name the sources for that, or at least say if they are close to the band? I'm sorry I can't name mine.

It is indeed very interesting if you have sources saying it was mostly for the documentary. I believe that's wrong.

Date: June 12, 2012 12:42

proudmary
DandelionPowderman
proudmary
First - for the money.

It ISN'T forgotten but I swear I will not say another word about it

smileys with beer

Date: June 12, 2012 12:56

DandelionPowderman

1. I have not sources close to the band. But Rolling Stone(and all of fan boards with their sourses) talked about one week and thare was an interview with Chuck L where he also said "1 week". And everyone was talking about the documentary and shooting footage for it.

2.I do not understand how the fact that Jagger agreed to end his career with dignity in spite of the demential Richards may cancel 20+ years long bashing. Why can not we talk about that in some cases Richads just lies?

Date: June 12, 2012 13:11

proudmary
DandelionPowderman

1. I have not sources close to the band. But Rolling Stone(and all of fan boards with their sourses) talked about one week and thare was an interview with Chuck L where he also said "1 week". And everyone was talking about the documentary and shooting footage for it.

Well, it was more. There were no cameras present at all on the first part of the rehearsals, that's why I'm asking.

2.I do not understand how the fact that Jagger agreed to end his career with dignity in spite of the demential Richards may cancel 20+ years long bashing. Why can not we talk about that in some cases Richads just lies?
I don't know if I get you here. However, I can't see any facts in what you're saying? Who determines if or how Mick "ends his career in dignity"?

Do you believe Richards has Alzheimers disease?

There haven't been a 20+ years bashing. There have been six tours and seven albums since they got together again. Good times AND bad times

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 12, 2012 13:15

proudmary
DandelionPowderman
proudmary
First - for the money.

It ISN'T forgotten but I swear I will not say another word about this book

I do not understand how the fact that Jagger agreed to end his career with dignity in spite of the demential Richards may cancel 20+ years long bashing Why can not we talk about that in some cases Richads just lies?

When I opened LIFE for the first time (in a bookstore) and read some chapters, I soon stumbled over the notorious "todger" remark. But you know what? I actually liked that part at first, because it sounded like Keith talking to Mick. You could sense how it must have hurt when Mick lay his hands on Anita. And you understand how Keith got to viewing his nookie with Marianne as some Kind of revenge and as some proof for being the real cool cat in the band, as opposed to the "maker and shaker" (and later control freak) Jagger. You can just sense how Keith got to creating his own little myth for himself. I guess we all do sometimes.

What I'm trying to say is: It's still a nasty remark if you concentrate on it. But put into context and read from the book, it just sounds like recreating Keiths state of mind at the time, and I guess that's what I liked about it when I first read it.The big fuzz came only afterwards when people (and especially the press) began dissecting LIFE. I think it's taken much too serious, really.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2012 13:27

.......Maybe you could do some work on the riverboat queen....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 12, 2012 18:34

DandelionPowderman

It seems to bother you more than Mary.
She's offended by the mocking of Jagger, but some of you act like its some dreaded subject that keeps popping up....because there is no defense for it.

Date: June 13, 2012 00:51

Far be it for me to defend what someone terms indefensible, but I do want to give my perspective. I consider myself pretty close to what proudmary calls "an average fan", that is I love their music, but was never really that familiar with their catalogue beyond the hits. I loved the Stones when I was a teen but didn't have access to record stores where I grew up so didn't really start buying albums until I went to college. By then I had moved on to other bands and only had a few Stones albums for a long time. I certainly wasn't familiar with the band personalties other than Jagger was the star and Richards was the badass drug addict. Fast forward about 25 years and one of my kids got me Life for my birthday two years ago. I thought it was a fascinating window into that era, the man himself, the band, but most importantly, the music. So, I started listening to the Stones again, bought all their CD's, started reading more books about them and here I am. In essence, Richards book made me fall in love with the band all over again. I don't think I am alone in this, I have some much younger friends who now love the Stones after reading Life. So, it may seem to some here that the book was the worst thing that ever happened, but there are some of us who don't feel that way.
As to the whole todger thing, I agree with Greenblues, I didn't think it was that big a deal when I read it. It seemed to me that Richards was writing about it as if he were in the moment, and I could understand his hurt and sense of betrayal. There were other things that made me really cringe, like his introducing John Phillips to smack and his refusal to take responsiblity for almost killing Marlon in a car crash. After reading the book I didn't view Keith Richards as a hero at all, but I also don't think he is so awful either. The book is his version of the truth, which is probably 90% crap, but I think most everyone's version of the truth of their own lives is about the same. He's the one who has to live with what he's put down on paper, I really don't think Mick Jagger cares. I still like the guy and his book. He's often full of shit, but so what? I still like what I know of the man, I like all the band members, but mostly I like the music.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:00

latebloomer
Far be it for me to defend what someone terms indefensible, but I do want to give my perspective. I consider myself pretty close to what proudmary calls "an average fan", that is I love their music, but was never really that familiar with their catalogue beyond the hits. I loved the Stones when I was a teen but didn't have access to record stores where I grew up so didn't really start buying albums until I went to college. By then I had moved on to other bands and only had a few Stones albums for a long time. I certainly wasn't familiar with the band personalties other than Jagger was the star and Richards was the badass drug addict. Fast forward about 25 years and one of my kids got me Life for my birthday two years ago. I thought it was a fascinating window into that era, the man himself, the band, but most importantly, the music. So, I started listening to the Stones again, bought all their CD's, started reading more books about them and here I am. In essence, Richards book made me fall in love with the band all over again. I don't think I am alone in this, I have some much younger friends who now love the Stones after reading Life. So, it may seem to some here that the book was the worst thing that ever happened, but there are some of us who don't feel that way.
As to the whole todger thing, I agree with Greenblues, I didn't think it was that big a deal when I read it. It seemed to me that Richards was writing about it as if he were in the moment, and I could understand his hurt and sense of betrayal. There were other things that made me really cringe, like his introducing John Phillips to smack and his refusal to take responsiblity for almost killing Marlon in a car crash. After reading the book I didn't view Keith Richards as a hero at all, but I also don't think he is so awful either. The book is his version of the truth, which is probably 90% crap, but I think most everyone's version of the truth of their own lives is about the same. He's the one who has to live with what he's put down on paper, I really don't think Mick Jagger cares. I still like the guy and his book. He's often full of shit, but so what? I still like what I know of the man, I like all the band members, but mostly I like the music.

Great post!
You are a rational Stones fan. Most of us are not. I mean that half-jokingly....
Most of us on this board have been obessed with the Stones for years, decades - reading everything.....the Stones history and personal relationships are so complex and fascinating that many of us, speaking for myself, get carried away and take side in the squabbles and rifts ectc...

Date: June 13, 2012 01:18

Rolling Hansie

I can only repeat myself.

-------------------

Date: June 13, 2012 01:26

Rolling Hansie
Rolling Hansie

I can only repeat myself.

Thanks Rolling Hansie and stupidguy2, but don't give me too much credit. I am putting my best foot forward right now, give me some time and I am sure I will screw up and piss some of you off.cool smiley

Date: June 13, 2012 01:30

latebloomer
give me some time and I am sure I will screw up and piss some of you off

LOL, I will wait and see. In the meantime smileys with beer Cheers mate.

-------------------

Date: June 13, 2012 11:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 11:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 10, 2013 00:39

Bliss
It's a strange phenomenon - in any normal scenario, where there is a team of any kind - work, family, marriage, club - associates present a united front to the world and keep their internecine quarrels hidden. But within the Stones, or more specifically, in Keith's mind - their own personal status can only be aggrandised by diminishing the other members. Bur such a 'scorched earth' approach can never succeed; everyone is harmed by it.

Well that's Keith I guess...hasn't served him too badly over the years eh? But he just can't help it, even during that unique moment in Bondy during the public rehearsal I had the good fortune of attending, he had to make fun of Mick when he made the same mistake twice on "One More Shot", walking away laughing and making a circular movement with his arm over his head implying that Mick was losing it, people chuckled but still...not sure if Mick saw it but he completely ignored it in any case.

Anyway what a fascinating thread, thanks Rocky for connecting a lot of the dots of the 80s and I had my ear pretty close to the ground between 82 and 89...and to the story behind Jane Rose's firing from the Stones ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 09:02 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 10, 2013 01:55

walking away laughing and making a circular movement with his arm over his head implying that Mick was losing it... Meanwhile Mick applauds every note Keith plays on stage and remains composed even during the worst guitar moments... So who's the as*h*le?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 10, 2013 09:08

Yes, although I'm not sure about the first part of your statement, or are you being ironic?

But to get back to that rehearsal, Mick walked towards Keith when it was time for him to sing the second "Nah, Nah, Nah" (sounds like "Love Ya, Love Ya, Love Ya" now to me) and he did it during the 5 shows too although less obviously. I don't think he's trying to be especially nice to Keith by helping him out, he just wants to make sure the show goes well...better of course than waiting for Keith to make a mistake and then point it out loudly ;-)

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 10:11

Be nice and give the DA her blouse back already.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home