Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Bobby Womack about Mick Jagger
Posted by: MarshaH ()
Date: May 27, 2012 22:00

Bobby Womack Thinks Mick Jagger Is An A**hole

Bobby Womack with Ronnie Wood in 1975. Photograph: Echoes/Redferns

He played with James Brown and Ray Charles and toured with a young Jimi Hendrix. He wrote It's All Over Now, which the Rolling Stones turned into a global hit, a state of affairs that did not overly delight Womack. "To be honest with you, I said: 'Let the Rolling Stones get their own @#$%&' record and record that.'" He worked with the Stones decades later, on 1986's Dirty Work: he liked Keith Richards and Ron Wood, but "had a problem with Mick Jagger". "Some people never grow up if you give 'em too much," he grimaces. "They gonna be @#$%&, then they just become a bigger @#$%&."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 17:03 by bv.

Re: Bobby Womack Thinks Mick Jagger Is An A**hole
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 27, 2012 22:16

Considering the anti-Jagger songs on DIRTY WORK (that Mick actually sang; I've always wondered what went through his head when singing Had It With You, etc. ) I'm sure Womack wasn't hearing raves about Mick from Keith, which probably colored his opinion.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 27, 2012 22:23

He may think Mick's an Ahole, but how much did he make in songwriting royalties over the years from the Stones recording It's All Over Now?! I'm not positive, but I'll bet Rod recorded it in the early 70's because he knew the song from the Stones.

Date: May 27, 2012 22:28

I read some of Bobby Womack's autobiograhy and I think he felt used by Jagger after he done the Dirty Work album. Jagger does have a history of using people for their talents and not wanting to give them credit like Billy Preston.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 27, 2012 22:32

He worked on Dirty Work? Who's the a#@hole?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 27, 2012 22:59

Title5Take1
Considering the anti-Jagger songs on DIRTY WORK (that Mick actually sang; I've always wondered what went through his head when singing Had It With You, etc. ) I'm sure Womack wasn't hearing raves about Mick from Keith, which probably colored his opinion.

We definitely have to take that into account....Mick was barely there during the DW sessions - probably buzzing in and out and by that time, Mick and Keith were barely speaking. Bobby, being a musician's musician, would naturally be sympathetic to Keith's 'Mick's-pissed-off-again-to-Paris...busy-having-tea-with-Lord-Lambton' commentary.
If Keith bitches in private as much as he does in public, no wonder people 'have a problem with Jagger'.
Mick is not a schmoozy-whoozy musician who ingratiates people to his side like Keith and he doesn't kiss ass..... He's more guarded, which is part of his nature....
And musicians tend to see that as aloof...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 27, 2012 23:23

Love Bobby's backing vocals on "Harlem Shuffle."

He's great. Let's not get too worked up about these quotes.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 27, 2012 23:25

Bobby W @#$%& up Dirty Work - imagine how much better it would have been without his participation..... these guys thinks to much about themselves, should rather praise Jagger for the big work he did keeping RS as a band through the 70'ies and early 80'ies. Without Jagger, Stones would have been gone long time ago.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: May 27, 2012 23:26

That's why we drag em`

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 27, 2012 23:54

MarshaH
Jagger does have a history of using people for their talents and not wanting to give them credit like Billy Preston.

Woah woah woah... Keith is JUST as guilty as Mick for this. What the hell is Keith's name doing on Moonlight Mile, Sway, 100 Years Ago, Winter or It's Only Rock and Roll???

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 28, 2012 02:17

Who ever heard of Bobby Womack except for It's All Over Now?

he is a greedy s.o.b. to take all those song royalties and bad mouth the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2012 02:30

.....I remember an old interview from somewhere
like the 80's where Bobby said there was a time when
he was rock bottom down&out...living in a trailer-park and
the only thing that kept him alive was the royalty-check from It's All Over Now

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 28, 2012 02:32

It seems like Keith has enjoyed many years of Mick bashing to others, whether they be musicians or the press! I attribute it to a major case of insecurity and jealousy, very indicative o a SMALL man.

Date: May 28, 2012 02:32

bobby is entitled to his opinion

Date: May 28, 2012 03:15

mitchflorida1

he is a greedy s.o.b. to take all those song royalties and bad mouth the Stones.

Bobby had an hit R&B song in the early 80's called If You Think Your Lonely Now. How can you not know that song, its an R&B classic.

Date: May 28, 2012 03:16

never heard of it. and I noticed that Womack has been covering a lot of other peoples songs, like California Dreaming, Fly Me to the Moon, and All along the Watchtower.

Why don't you write your own damn songs, Bobby?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 28, 2012 03:27

mitchflorida1

Usually when you show this much pride in your ignorance the topic is political.

Date: May 28, 2012 03:27

If You Think Your Lonely Now from The Poet album...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 28, 2012 03:29

Bobby penned I'm In Love and Midnight Mover for Pickett.....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 28, 2012 03:44

loog droog
mitchflorida1

Usually when you show this much pride in your ignorance the topic is political.

You don't know what you are talking about. Go back to sleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 03:45 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2012 04:03

Title5Take1

Womack did a great interview with Q Magazine in the mid 80s (It was one of their first ever issues) and recounted a story where Jagger called him in to the studio to work on a couple of songs together, bemoaning the fact that the rest of the band were useless. Womack worked for a night or two with them and the band were all over him like a rash, telling him how wonderful he was and how he'd basically saved the session from being a disaster.

The session closed for the night, Womack asked could someone call him a cab and was amazed to be told that the Stones wouldnt even cover his fare.

He walked out into the street and a few steps later, was accosted by two knife-wielding potential muggers. He was still so livid from the disrespect he'd been shown that he offered to take both of them on, telling them he was 'ready to die right now'. The two guys scarpered.

I think Bobby had first hand experience and didnt have to rely on someone else's song lyrics for his opinion!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 28, 2012 04:23

Gazza
Title5Take1

Womack did a great interview with Q Magazine in the mid 80s (It was one of their first ever issues) and recounted a story where Jagger called him in to the studio to work on a couple of songs together, bemoaning the fact that the rest of the band were useless. Womack worked for a night or two with them and the band were all over him like a rash, telling him how wonderful he was and how he'd basically saved the session from being a disaster.

The session closed for the night, Womack asked could someone call him a cab and was amazed to be told that the Stones wouldnt even cover his fare.

He walked out into the street and a few steps later, was accosted by two knife-wielding potential muggers. He was still so livid from the disrespect he'd been shown that he offered to take both of them on, telling them he was 'ready to die right now'. The two guys scarpered.

I think Bobby had first hand experience and didnt have to rely on someone else's song lyrics for his opinion!

That's pathetic that the Stones didn't cover the cab expenses. Not everyone is a millionaire.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2012 04:46

mitchflorida1
never heard of it. and I noticed that Womack has been covering a lot of other peoples songs, like California Dreaming, Fly Me to the Moon, and All along the Watchtower.

Why don't you write your own damn songs, Bobby?

After you've composed anything thats 1% as good as this, take a trip to the Clue Store and pick one up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 04:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 28, 2012 05:39

There are a lot of reports from the mid-80's of Jagger being an a-hole. I don't think he currently treats people the way he did during that time.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 28, 2012 10:33

MarshaH

The title of the originale article - the one you took this quote from -

Bobby Womack: 'I can sing my ass off, better than I could before'
[www.guardian.co.uk]

and he never said in one sentence that he thinks Mick is a**hole, all I can see
"he had a problem with Mick Jagger' - Alexis Petridis's words
"Some people never grow up if you give 'em too much," he grimaces. "They gonna be @#$%&, then they just become a bigger @#$%&." - Womack's words

so the title of your thread is misleading

It was mostly Keith's idea to get Womack on DW sessions and it was to be his duty to take care of money and everything else for the artist, for whom he carried responsibility.
"Keith Richards had been looking for songs to possibly include on the album and had been working up songs with Ronnie Wood and Womack while waiting for Jagger to return to the studio in Paris after doing promo work on his solo album. To Richards's surprise, Jagger liked the feel and cut the vocals quickly."
The Stones have a history of using people, that's for sure but the Stones not only Jagger - he and Richards get the same money in the end.
Richards just chose the role of the good cop always throwing the blame on Jagger.
I wonder why people which Mick brought to the Stones' had never discredit Richards in the press?
I think it reflects the atmosphere in the the circles of each other. I can not imagine how Tom Stoppard or Michael Apted (Jagger's friends who were doing something for the Stones) will tell anything about Keith exept good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 10:55 by proudmary.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 28, 2012 10:46

I read an account somewhere that Bobby was bitter about the Stones' success with IAON shortly after it came out, because it eclipsed his own version which he had recorded not long before. But another R and B performer - might have been Chuck Berry - told him to embrace it because the RS' success would filter down to him in the form of royalty cheques and exposure. It's ironic that the royalty cheques from IOAN ended up being a lifeline for Bobby. And the RS' success did filter down to many R and B and blues musicians, whose careers were revived due to the RS making their material available to a new large audience.

Bobby isn't the only singer who resents Mick's success. Michael Jackson complained that Mick sang flat on their duet, and asked himself how Mick ever got to be a star.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 10:51 by Bliss.

I LOVE THE STONES thumbs up
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 28, 2012 10:51

proudmary
[www.guardian.co.uk]

the title of your thread is misleading

It is, indeed.
Thanks for the link to the original article.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 28, 2012 12:13

mtaylor
Bobby W @#$%& up Dirty Work - imagine how much better it would have been without his participation..... these guys thinks to much about themselves, should rather praise Jagger for the big work he did keeping RS as a band through the 70'ies and early 80'ies. Without Jagger, Stones would have been gone long time ago.

How??

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 28, 2012 12:18

mtaylor
Without Jagger, Stones would have been gone long time ago.

thumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 28, 2012 13:29

DandelionPowderman
mtaylor

How??
He "contributed" on Back to Zero - worst song on the CD and worst song in Stones history - should be enough.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home