Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT Zappa
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:18

That video clip of Lennon with Zappa is VERY rare! I have never seen or even knew it was filmed. The song, (Well) Baby Please Don't Go, along with a long jam was originally on Sometime in New York City, and Zappa also released, but I can't recall what album it was on. Very nice find!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:12

rocker1
24FPS
How's this for a treat?

I will never be cool enough to appreciate what Yoko brings to this song.

I wonder if the John/Yoko-thing inspired Paul to let Linda play with Wings....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:56

Whilst I love golden era Stones, Zappa is my default artist of choice and has been since the mid 70s.
Saw him live 4 times,seen ZPZ twice and have most of the albums plus hundreds of live shows courtesy of the folks over at Zappateers.
Zappa fans are spoilt where live recordings are concerned as there is tons of stuff available.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: January 25, 2013 12:52

Always beeen a big fan, especially the earlier classic Mothers of Invention lineup. My favouite era is probably the 1974 lineup with George Duke, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Ruth Underwood, Fowlers etc.

The great thing about Zappa bootlegs is that you get material that is often a one-off, not available elesewhere or a completetely different re-working of a classic song, lots of unusual covers etc.

I did lose interst in his music during the 80's to be honest. A lot of really poor albums in my opinion with below par songwriting. Instrumentally he was always tops.

Andy

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:14

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:31 by vudicus.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:17

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:31 by vudicus.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:58

of course I love FZ...saw him four times and have everything I can dig up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 25, 2013 16:04

Frank Zappa-thumbs up
Some of my Zappa vinyls are;
Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention; One Size Fits All-Fillmore East june 1971.
Frank Zappa; Hot Rats-Apostrophe-in New York-Sheik Yerboute and Joe's Garage.

My favorite track and amazing guitar solo "Watermelon in Easter Hay",;

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 25, 2013 17:51

Loved Frank mostly cos he was an true artist with an incredible output. No it is not all great but them's the breaks with people with a huge amount of material (eg. Bob Dylan, whom once tried to hire Zappa as producer for Infidels). I read once that for a free thinker Zappa had a blind spot with regards to women and this was true and why some of his humour could get pretty tired. But speaking of his eighties output, You Are What You Is is a fine return to topical satire especially his three song attack on the religious right and the country pastiche "Harder Than Your Husband" is hilarious. In answer to the question, who was good in the eighties? Lou Reed. And Lou inducted Frank into the r n r HoF.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 26, 2013 01:16

"du bist mein sofa" that record. great music, great lyrics ..

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 27, 2013 00:06

I was a fan of Zappa in the '70s. I even saw one of the Zappa in New York shows at the Palladium in NYC, a few days after Christmas 1976. But I fell off that particular wagon around the time of Joe's Garage.

The recent reissues have me back on the wagon more than ever. Check out Lather, 3 CDs that encompass nearly everything he does.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: February 2, 2013 01:39

he was an absolute genius. I am a great fan

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 2, 2013 17:10

Also a big fan. Bought the album Burnt Weeny Sandwich in 1969 and have been hooked ever since.

Got to see him one time, in 1977, Boston, my freshman year at Berklee.

Just saw ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA here in Atlanta this week, and it was a fabulous show. As much as I enjoyed seeing Frank, ZPZ played the set list of songs that I wish Frank had played in Boston. You can't go wrong hearing ultra tight versions of Zomby Wolf, Echidna's Arf, Montana, Cosmik Debris, Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Strictly Genteel, etc. If you are a fan and ZPZ comes to your town, don't miss 'em!

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 2, 2013 21:51

Amazing composer/guitarist/singer, he was full of (musical) sarcasm. I love most of his music, the 7-tees in particular, and I felt sad the day he passed away, his music was played on the radio for hours, non stop. Saw Zappa plays Zappa a several years ago, very good, but Frank wasn't there...everybody could feel and hear it, Dweezil suffered the most.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home