Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Zappa
Posted by: ClashMusic ()
Date: May 25, 2012 11:22

Classic album..

[www.clashmusic.com]

Any fans on here?

Re: OT Zappa
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 25, 2012 11:25

thumbs up

Big Fan here! Have seen him 5 time live and got everything on LP and CD. Great guitarist that inspired me to start listen to Coltrane and jazz also...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: May 25, 2012 12:25

Very cool guy. His son Dweezil is incredible. The best record for me is One Size Fits all and Overnite Sensation.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:29

One Size" and "Overnite" are a good entrance point into FZ.
I'm not wild about his 80's output (but who really shined in the 80s?), but been discovering his 60's output lately. FZ never quit; he was always working.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 25, 2012 12:31

Brilliant musician and an interesting person i general.
Loads of great albums but if I have to pick one I would go for Roxy & Elsewhere. A live album but with unreleased material.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:39

Thommie
Loads of great albums but if I have to pick one I would go for Roxy & Elsewhere. A live album but with unreleased material.

Especially the episode with 'Monster Movies'...grinning smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 25, 2012 12:59

I like "Overnite Sensation" a lot - it's probably his best album and the one that qualifies him as a musical genius. I was never keen on "One Size Fits all" though, and I'm sure there are better albums/tracks.

It's a shame his music is not on iTunes and Spotify. I wouldn't mind having a listem as I don't have any of his albums now (got rid of my vinyl years ago).

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 25, 2012 14:08

Come On
Thommie

Especially the episode with 'Monster Movies'...grinning smiley

Yeah, and he's right: the cheaper they are, the better they are...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 25, 2012 15:13

Zappa is solid.

Palace Revolution 2000
One Size" and "Overnite" are a good entrance point into FZ.
I'm not wild about his 80's output (but who really shined in the 80s?), but been discovering his 60's output lately. FZ never quit; he was always working.

Maybe not his music from the 80's but there is plenty of very good music from the 80's, especially 1982-1986.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 25, 2012 16:01

Zappa, Stones ans Hendrix are the big three for me

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 25, 2012 16:39

His guitar playing qualities are highly underrated, one of the best. Love his 'Fillmore East' album, although I haven't heard it in a long time.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 25, 2012 16:46

Big fan too. Saw every night of his historic 4 London shows when he recorded the Sheik Yerbouti album. And then saw him in 78, 79 and 88 too. Favourite period is with The Mothers. But also love Hot Rats, Fillmore East 71, Overnight Sensation, Apostrophe, One Size Fits All and Zoot Allures.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 26, 2012 07:28

One of my faves, it's basically rap, 20 years early. It's about the 1965 race riots in L.A.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 26, 2012 12:35

24FPS
One of my faves, it's basically rap, 20 years early. It's about the 1965 race riots in L.A.

This is indeed one of his best songs.

Posted by: yahozna ()
Date: May 26, 2012 13:07

Do I like Zappa!? My nickname is the title of a song in which he takes the mickey out of people who believe there are hidden (satanic) messages in rock music (which can be heard when played backwards).

Zappa is my biggest hero in music. Unfortunately I only discovered him about 3 years after he died, so never got to see him live. Did see Dweez twice though on his Zappa Plays Zappa-tours.

Trouble Every Day is about the most Stones-sounding Zappa song, and it's brilliant, IMHO.

I started with We're Only In It For The Money and the six You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore double-cd's. Bought all of the rest after that........
I'm not a big fan of his synclavier works with the exception of G-Spot Tornado which I think is a masterpiece.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 26, 2012 18:25

FZ was quite unique in his range, output, abilities and musical ideas as to what is possible.

Dweezil is well worth seeing too. He's carrying the torch very well.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 26, 2012 20:31

How's this for a treat?

Posted by: varv ()
Date: May 26, 2012 22:22

I got to meet him and actually shake his actual hand after a show in Normal Illinois. Zappa in Normal...I know there are debates as to what irony is but I think that qualifies. Anyway,Hot Rats and Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar come to mind as something I would suggest to a newcomer and then all the rest.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 26, 2012 22:45

Went on a huge Zappa tear a couple years ago. Got most of it from the library and burned it.
His sophomoric humor can get old quickly, but as a musician with fabulous bands, he was unlike anyone else.
Shame we lost him so early.
T@3

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 26, 2012 23:00

24FPS
How's this for a treat?

I will never be cool enough to appreciate what Yoko brings to this song.

Date: May 27, 2012 00:01

A fine album is also "Roxy & Elsewhere"."Zoot Allures" is a great rock album.
The 60's material is priceless.
He also has one of the cover artworks I've seen for "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save Drowning Witch".

Date: May 28, 2012 08:25

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 28, 2012 17:45

Saw him in Boston in 1977, great show.

For Mothers of Invention albums, my all time favorite is BURNT WEENY SANDWICH. Check out "Little House I Used to Live In." Second on the list for me would be UNCLE MEAT.

Solo-wise, you've got to mention APOSTROPHE.

I'm also a big fan of his "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" series. The man wrote some fabulous instrumental material, and he could really wail on his axe.

When my son graduated from UCLA with his Masters, we visited the cemetery there where Frank is buried. He is in an unmarked grave next to an old cowboy actor named Lew Ayers.

Date: May 28, 2012 22:31

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 29, 2012 00:18

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:14 by vudicus.

Date: June 3, 2012 07:19

Articles by Zappa and interviews with Zappa on this link:

ZAPPA

Date: January 24, 2013 22:08

Southbank's 20th-century festival to include Frank Zappa premiere

200 Motels – cancelled in 1971 on grounds of obscenity – will be staged as part of year-long celebration of 20th-century music

www.guardian.co.uk

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 25, 2013 00:04

Does anyone remember that poster they had out in the late 60s with him sitting on a toilet entitled "Phi Zappa Crappa"? That was a good one smiling smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 25, 2013 01:17

No, but I had this one on my bathroom wall for a time.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 02:11 by angee.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:50

I always liked " Weasels Ripped My Flesh"- thy did a cool cover of Little Richards "Directly From My Heart to You" on it--

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home