Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "Its Only Rock n' Roll" with the Foo Fighters TRULY FANTASTIC
Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 22, 2012 14:43

Fantastic Jagger performance!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 22, 2012 14:47

Hmmm... It may "rock but it does not roll", as Keith says. I much prefer the original or Ronnie's version from Atlantic City.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 22, 2012 17:29

The Foo Fighters are ham-fisted. They reminded me of the muppet drummer Animal - whatever they lack in subtlety and talent, they try to make up for in enthusiasm and volume.

That excuse for a guitar solo was *sad* and then Mick had to call them back into the song. Amateurs.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 22, 2012 17:39

Claire_M
Mick had to call them back into the song. Amateurs.
Right, because he never did that with The Stones. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 22, 2012 17:44

I thought it was really good, Agree one of the better Mick vocal performances in long time, Thought the foo's were rocking pretty well but the drums were a bit too heavy handed for the song. Overall really good though

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:17

not fantastic. average band. does not swing without the stones
jeroen

Date: May 22, 2012 18:33

There's more to music than just "swinging". You can play rock and roll and not swing and it's still good. Enough already with using "it didn't swing" as an excuse to downplay the Foo Fighters' performance!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:37

Outstanding performance.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:38

I just watched it on Daily Motion.

I think that's pretty great!!.

And that IS the groove that the Stones should have played it live in (although I think they nicked it from Get In On - T Rex).

Mick's singing is fine and I wish he always kept it straight like that. No silly vowels.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 22, 2012 19:06

A great night all the way around....And Jagger was at his best.
I wish he sing like that on the next album/tour!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 22, 2012 19:06

Finally watched it....It was fantastic!
This is my Mick Jagger, the one i've missed for about 25 years.
He seemed to be really enjoying it and you have to wonder if Keith/Ronnie can sustain that much energy anymore.
Mick seemed liberated from what has become the tired and by-the-numbers performances by his own band.
And for those nitpicking the Foos' performance - It's Only Rock an Roll -
this is what its supposed to be...fun and passionate.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 22, 2012 19:49

Mick was very good, but for some reason I don't like seeing him do Stones songs with other people. My wife felt the same way when we watched SNL together this past weekend. Musically it was fine, but I just like seeing MJ with the rest of the boys. This is not a knock against the bands supporting him either.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 22, 2012 19:50

Mick & The FF nailed it! Nailed it like the original. They should tour together. I would be more excited about that tour than another Stones tour unless MT and Beck were involved and unleashed.

I want that Mick and FF on my mp3 player.

Any ideas on how I could get that done?

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 22, 2012 20:01

I just watched this.

Shit, Jagger is still good!

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: May 22, 2012 20:21

I thought it was some of Brenda's best flat, monotone off key shout singing I've heard since he sang the Last Time with some kooky accordion player. What's next, rocking a version of Miss Amanda Jones on the sousaphone?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 22, 2012 20:33

Dear Mick, ditch the Stones and go solo.
I've HATED the way The Stones have played this live from 1989 onwards. HATED. As in, I'd take Keith's death-croak singing over hearing them do that awful wrong-key dumbed-downb-for-Keith version they've pooped out for decades.

THIS version is more like it! Screw what the old Foo-haters here say, that was awesome. Great job Foo Fighters!!!

There was a time when I thought the Stones were timeless. Now it's clear that Jagger is the timeless one. The other ones; meh - leave them at home.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 22, 2012 20:42

GumbootCloggeroo
There's more to music than just "swinging". You can play rock and roll and not swing and it's still good. Enough already with using "it didn't swing" as an excuse to downplay the Foo Fighters' performance!

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 22, 2012 20:44

DandelionPowderman
GumbootCloggeroo

I swear, if Keith hadn't said what he said about "a lot of people rock but don't roll" or whatever the hell it was he said, a lot of you wouldn't have the mind to be able to come up with your own thought.

Date: May 22, 2012 20:46

Rockman
Mick was on fire!! ..... that's what Mr Scorsese thought too

Hell, Fire, and Brimstone!

Date: May 22, 2012 20:49

Nimrod
DandelionPowderman
GumbootCloggeroo

I swear, if Keith hadn't said what he said about "a lot of people rock but don't roll" or whatever the hell it was he said, a lot of you wouldn't have the mind to be able to come up with your own thought.

Are you kidding? Do you really believe Keith has anything to do with it?

Go through your history books, and find out when the term rock music started.

Christ, they played rock´n´roll in the late 40s already. It is a unique musical style - and has a lot to do with rhythm, you know...

Keith´s "roll-remark" is really a humorous take on it.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 22, 2012 21:06

GravityBoy
I just watched it on Daily Motion.

I think that's pretty great!!.

And that IS the groove that the Stones should have played it live in (although I think they nicked it from Get In On - T Rex).

Or Little Queenie off of Ya-Yas

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 22, 2012 21:22

DandelionPowderman
Nimrod
DandelionPowderman
GumbootCloggeroo

Christ, they played rock´n´roll in the late 40s already. It is a unique musical style - and has a lot to do with rhythm, you know...

You seem to have missed the point entirely. And I'm talking more about the way people interpreate Keith's remark and use it as a way to elevate the Stones and put other bands down. I know damn well when the term "rock music" entered the lexicon, but that has nothing to do with anything.

Date: May 22, 2012 21:25

It is true that a lot of people take Keith's word as gospel. My question is, how many of you can actually define "swing"?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 22, 2012 22:18

marcovandereijk
I saw a nice kind of chemistry between Mick and the band. They appeared to be enjoying themselves
with these great songs and their enthusiasm infected me. I was quite amazed to see a band perform
these songs so close to the original and NOT become a slave to a note by note delivery.
The performance had a very natural atmosphere, the artists playing relaxed, yet very focused.
I liked it, yes I did.
Agreed totally!

Date: May 22, 2012 22:59

guyrachel
Have not heard Mick sing with this much commitment or passion for YEARS, it's wonderful to hear Jagger sing the song in its "original" arrangement, high notes, quiet sections, change in tempos, and to hear the full blooded cynicism that the song can deliver.

Who was the musical director on these?

Also loved the other performances!

Wish he would tackle the Stones in the same way!

I liked 19th Nervous Breakdown. Now, that was refreshing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2012 23:38

I think the truth is that almost any band that gives a Stones song a try does it better. The Stones warhorses has sounded more or less the same since 1989.
And they haven't been able to put some energy in the "new" songs they have tried out live either.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 22, 2012 23:56

It's almost sad to see how energized Mick was with other musicians, playing a song that I thought he must be totally BORED WITH...but alas, with the FF he brought a whole new ( or OLD) interpretation to....I guess it would have to be the old, original interpretation that they played, and it did SMOKE! YIKES! Imagine an entire concert with Mick fronting a different band for each Stones song...SWAY could actually song great! Can you imagine a tune like " Connection" or " She Smiled Sweetly" with Arcade Fire?? Or Loving Cup done over? It would be exciting, and that might be what Mick was trying to illustrate.

Date: May 23, 2012 00:01

Nimrod
DandelionPowderman
Nimrod
DandelionPowderman
GumbootCloggeroo

You seem to have missed the point entirely. And I'm talking more about the way people interpreate Keith's remark and use it as a way to elevate the Stones and put other bands down. I know damn well when the term "rock music" entered the lexicon, but that has nothing to do with anything.

But that is the basis for what Keith is saying, really...

You can turn the volume to 11, but it won´t roll any more than bands who swing.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: May 23, 2012 00:41

GumbootCloggeroo
....My question is, how many of you can actually define "swing"?

I'll take a shot at it....Charlie Watts

I disliked the SNL version of It's Only Rock n Roll.
I thought Jagger was great.
I like the Foo Fighters a lot.
Jagger singing It's Only Rock n Roll with the Foo Fighters, not so much.
The drumming was wrong for the song (for the reasons already stated) and I need a piano on it.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 23, 2012 00:48

How dare the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire play these songs with their own style and interpretation!! Artistic choice sucks!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home