Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
saint of me.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 16:54

im going to give my opinion of this song and will no doubt get many who disagree, however i dont apologize for having an opinion.

i can never understand how people can like this crap and i am quite convinced that for many its wishfull thinking thats its a good song.

when it was released as a single it was cringeworthy, they have released many below par songs or even bad ones but this was terrible, even as an album track hidden away its terrible.

the stones have recorded a lot of good stuff since the steal wheels era but i cant fathom what folk are thinking about when they admit to liking this.

Re: saint of me.
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:12

Exactly the same as how I feel about I Go Wild.

Saint Of Me is terrible, of course, but doesn't make me seethe quite so much as IGW.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:20

i think i go wild is average.

you got me rocking is below average but is one of the most played stones song in concert ever for some reason.

my favourites from the latter era are

high wire
rough justice
laugh i nearly died
infamy
plundered my soul
gunface
already over me
love is strong
brand new car
anybody seen my baby

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:27

Each to his or her own of course. But to my ears Saint of Me is among the undisputable highlights of latterday Stones. It's catchy, the lyrics good and Mick's vocal impressive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 23:57 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:28

yew'll neva make a saint outta me - a knight ok - b-u-t y-e-w-'l-l n-e-v-a m-a-k-e a s-a-i-n-t o-u-t-----------ta me!..............................confused smiley

love the music though................cool smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 17:30 by EddieByword.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2012 18:38

One of the high water marks of the latter day era and a definite high point on Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:48

Naw...never apologize for having an opinion.
That's what makes this a great country or something, right?

However, in my opinion, I have to disagree.
I thought it was one of the highlights of the last several years.

It's got a good beat and you can dance to it...(to quote an old american bandstand line)

I do like the music and there's a live version where Charlie has a short solo.
That's cool.

I also like the lyrics there way they refer back to biblical lines and all.
A little like the way Sympathy refers back to historical events.

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 12, 2012 21:17

"Saint of Me" is a great song, great on record/CD and great live in concert

nuff sed

Date: May 12, 2012 22:12

The remix is more interesting. But overall, yeah, tepid and bland.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 12, 2012 23:12

As a Stones song I agree with you

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 23:36

It is not a fun song. It is way too late in the band's career to be other than a self conscious parody and vaguely pretentious. How this became a sing-a-long I'll never know.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: May 13, 2012 03:45

I don't know...it works for me.

This has the ending I mentioned with Charlie playing

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 13, 2012 03:58

Well for me, it is a great later day Stones song. More a Mick solo song, but one of his better ones. And it has that classic Stone's sound to it. Production wise and instrumental wise. And great to have Billy back!

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: May 13, 2012 08:35

One of my all time favorites. It's one of those Rock'n Roll songs that are just perfect.

Very surprised to see so many dislike it. Are those perhaps the very same people that think "Continental Drift" is the last great stones song?... 'cause that would explain A LOT.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 13, 2012 08:41

After buying this album on release day in 1997 this was the first song to really stand out to me and grab my attention. I remember being a bit put off by the start of the song but then the guitars kicked in real good at the first chorus and I thought,hell yeah this is the Stones!!!! Worked great live as well. Different strokes and all that.....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 13, 2012 10:16

One of the better latter-day Stones tunes.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 13, 2012 12:01

I think the song and the video that goes with it are excellent.

Pity Keith isn't on it, although he mimes Waddy's part in the video (that must have been an interesting discussion with the video director).

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 13, 2012 17:53

One of my favorites of the latter-day Stones tunes as well!

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 13, 2012 18:10

Disagree with buttons67. Agree with those who think this is one of the better latter day Stones-tunes.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: May 13, 2012 19:59

One of my favourite modern era Stones tracks too - really enjoyed hearing it live, as the crowd really got into it. Out of the shows I saw that tour remember it going down particularly well in Malaga

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 13, 2012 20:02

Strangley I actually quite like this track...strange because as a rule I don't like anything much they produced since Tattoo You.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 13, 2012 20:36

whitem8
Well for me, it is a great later day Stones song. More a Mick solo song, but one of his better ones. And it has that classic Stone's sound to it. Production wise and instrumental wise. And great to have Billy back!

thumbs upthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: May 14, 2012 07:04

buttons67
im going to give my opinion of this song and will no doubt get many who disagree, however i dont apologize for having an opinion.

i can never understand how people can like this crap and i am quite convinced that for many its wishfull thinking thats its a good song.

when it was released as a single it was cringeworthy, they have released many below par songs or even bad ones but this was terrible, even as an album track hidden away its terrible.

the stones have recorded a lot of good stuff since the steal wheels era but i cant fathom what folk are thinking about when they admit to liking this.

Music is just so subjective, isn't it?

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:53

Saint of Me and it's companion piece from Babylon, Out of Control, are semi-autobiographical for Jagger and harken back to some of the Stones' better, earlier work. Most definitely two of the better songs from their later work. no question.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 11:19

Max'sKansasCity
"Saint of Me" is a great song, great on record/CD and great live in concert

nuff sed

I'm with ya. For me the song's greatness truly comes out in live performance. The studio version is good but a bit sterile, perhaps because Keith didn't play on it. I think the live versions rock!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 14, 2012 11:52

WTF?!??!?!

I Go Wild, Saint Of Me, Under My Thumb, Sparks, Stupid Girl and the likes are all the prime reason we love The Stones.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 12:14

GravityBoy
I think the song and the video that goes with it are excellent.

Pity Keith isn't on it, although he mimes Waddy's part in the video (that must have been an interesting discussion with the video director).

is it Waddy playing? I always thought it was Ronnie only. Sounds like it could easily be Ronnie soloing to me.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 14, 2012 12:38

pmk251
It is not a fun song. It is way too late in the band's career to be other than a self conscious parody and vaguely pretentious.

Self-parody is part of their existence ever since Dancing with Mr. D. But the great thing is,
whenever they take this route of self-parody, the result is quite enjoyable. The Stones are
probably the only band that can make parodies sound really good! That's why I love them.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 14, 2012 12:41

It's a great song, kinda cousin of Sympathy for the Devil; nothing wrong with it or with the ones who love it.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 14, 2012 12:53

Talking about self-parody... don't you just love this clip?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home