Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Any reviews on Mick Taylor NYC May 9???
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:45

I suggest a "play-off" between Taylor and Wood to see who would play most of the show (the loser would be relegated to a "guest" role). Give them each three songs to play with the band and let the audience choose the winner. I am admittedly biased, so I suggest the following three songs:

1. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
2. Sway
3. You Can't Alway Get What You Want (though Tumbling Dice would work too).

Before any of our humor and irony-challenged posters jumps on my case, this is a facetious suggestion...Sort of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 17:02 by 71Tele.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:48

71Tele
I suggest a "play-off" between Taylor and Wood to see who would play most of the show (the looser would be relegated to a "guest" role). Give them each three songs to play with the band and let the audience choose the winner. I am admittedly biased, so I suggest the following three songs:

2. Sway

Before any of our humor and irony-challenged posters jumps on my case, this is a facetious suggestion...Sort of.

To "even it out a bit", what 3 Wood era songs should Taylor play in this "play-off"?

Date: May 11, 2012 16:51

uhbuhgullayew
71Tele
I suggest a "play-off" between Taylor and Wood to see who would play most of the show (the looser would be relegated to a "guest" role). Give them each three songs to play with the band and let the audience choose the winner. I am admittedly biased, so I suggest the following three songs:

2. Sway

To "even it out a bit", what 3 Wood era songs should Taylor play in this "play-off"?

I'm not interested in evening it out, as I am biased (as I said), but I do think Mr. Wood would be the winner on any Some Girls era tune. Miss You and Beast would probably be his safest bet against the mighty Taylor.

Date: May 11, 2012 16:56

The "looser", as in the one who wing it the most? winking smiley

Date: May 11, 2012 17:02

DandelionPowderman
The "looser", as in the one who wing it the most? winking smiley

Pretty good. I should know better than to post when affected by jet lag.

Date: May 11, 2012 17:09

The Kansas City show was a good indicator of which song that suited Wood and Taylor the most, imo.

Imagination wasn't Taylor's bag, for instance, while Ronnie hasn't done a proper YCAGWYW since 1976, imo.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:12

71Tele
uhbuhgullayew
71Tele

2. Sway

I'm not interested in evening it out, as I am biased (as I said), but I do think Mr. Wood would be the winner on any Some Girls era tune. Miss You and Beast would probably be his safest bet against the mighty Taylor.

I bet Taylor will win without any effort with Beast. So that leaves Miss You for dear Ronny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 17:12 by kleermaker.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:16

Regarding Midnight Rambler, it is quite a bit drawn out and melodramatic for me.

I do think the girls in the audience enjoyed it, especially when Mick was younger.

Date: May 11, 2012 17:19

kleermaker
71Tele
uhbuhgullayew
71Tele

2. Sway

I bet Taylor will win without any effort with Beast. So that leaves Miss You for dear Ronny.

As long as he skips the licks he's playing from round 4:10, Taylor will be fine on BOB.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:34

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
71Tele
uhbuhgullayew
71Tele

2. Sway

As long as he skips the licks he's playing from round 4:10, Taylor will be fine on BOB.

I read something here suggesting Bobby Keys talking about a tour and of course being part of it. Let him be, aside to Taylor as in the old days. But much, much less horns than in 1981/2 please. Just a very modest and tasty contribution. That'll be more than enough. And only Bobby, no one else added. Except Jim Price.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: May 11, 2012 18:07

Max'sKansasCity
micwer
He played for a good 1h30 during Thursday's second set. He looked exhausted at the end (and turned down a bunch of people who were looking for autographs in quite an obnoxious manner) so I don't see him carrying a 2h30 show for weeks. At least not now.

Thank you for the review and for the Bobby Keys quote on the other thread.

I wonder if they are allowing people to openly record (video of) these MT shows?

They weren't but I recorded a few clips tongue sticking out smiley that I'll share over the week-end

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 11, 2012 18:52

micwer

They weren't but I recorded a few clips tongue sticking out smiley that I'll share over the week-end

Thanks--looking forward to it

Date: May 11, 2012 20:33

**********He played 5 songs for a total of one hour, 8:25-9:25.

Setlist

Secret Affair
Twisted Sister
Losing My Faith
Fed Up with the Blues
Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

He played very well. I have seen him 6 or 7 times and he was very energetic. He wasn't too happy with the sound though, he got fed up, then took his index finger and went across his throat to cut the show. That was it, he said thank you. One hour in total.**********

- yeah but he is playing two shows a night, for 6 straight nights. my buddy was there last night and recently texted me the details; Taylor played from about 8.30 til close til 10 (1st show) and then from around 10.30 to midnight (2nd show). that's still close to 3 hours, all told. nothing wrong with that. sure, 5 or 6 songs, but some were 15 to 20 minutes long; most around 10 to 12.

as for the shows themselves; spectacular - great playing, lead, rhythym, bottleneck slide, great version of Dylan's Blind Will McTell. Apparently the drumming was out of this world as well.

Date: May 11, 2012 23:08

pinkfloydthebarber

as for the shows themselves; spectacular - great playing, lead, rhythym, bottleneck slide, great version of Dylan's Blind Will McTell. Apparently the drumming was out of this world as well.

Hell yeah, highlights were Blind Willie McTell and You Shook Me. The drummer was Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, a legend. He was seriously fantastic. Max Middleton on keyboard wasn't too bad either (he played on Beck's Blow by Blow).

Date: May 11, 2012 23:14

Btw, this was the sound check:

Date: May 11, 2012 23:15

And a 50 second clip from last night:

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 11, 2012 23:24

Thank you for posting.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 11, 2012 23:33

micwer
And a 50 second clip from last night

Thank you very much!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:00

Kurt
Gazza
Kurt
If that report is true,
that doesn't sound too promising...

He needs to be in better shape to play 2-3 hour shows.
5 songs? Really?

What 2-3 hour shows are these?

I was referring to the concerts that will surely be at least 2 1/2 hours long, in front of potentially millions of screaming fans in the seemingly near future!cool smileywinking smiley

The Stones? Playing for 'at least 2 and a half hours' ? What happened when you stopped hallucinating? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:03

Some pics I took. I arrived very late..only catching the last 2 songs...

Video up shortly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 01:04 by Justin.

Date: May 12, 2012 01:27

Nice pix Justin....

I dont know you well enough to ask why the hell were you so late, so I wont.

Thanks for the pix and coming video.... what did you think of the show, for the 2 songs you heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 01:28 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 12, 2012 01:39

Yeah I know...I was bummed to catch what I did see.

I was in town to catch the Beach Boys shows over at the Beacon. It wasn't till much later that Mick added his shows at the Iridium. The BB show was at 8pm...didn't end till 11pm...I thought the BB show would end by 10 (when Mick's second show would start)but forgot to factor in the intermission they took halfway through...so after running over to the Iridium...Mick was already closing his set.

The songs I heard...(one of them you'll see momentarily)...he was playing very well. Vocals were alright on "No Expectations" ...good interplay with him and the band. Would be nice to have him join the Stones, that's for sure.

Date: May 12, 2012 01:51

Well...
That qualifies as BEST EXCUSE(actually legit reason) for being late that I have EVER heard thumbs up

Date: May 12, 2012 02:03

haha nice, thanks Max..maybe I'll post my pics/videos from the BB shows...it was an amazing couple of shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 02:03 by Justin.

Date: May 12, 2012 02:06

Justin
haha nice, thanks Max..maybe I'll post my pics/videos from the BB shows...it was an amazing couple of shows.

Yes, Please do, I am sure everyone wants to see... and I am delighted to hear of the continuing trend of allowing people record if they want to.

Date: May 12, 2012 02:14

K, here's the video!

Date: May 12, 2012 02:26

Justin
K, here's the video!

fknSWEET VIDEO!!... mucho gracias... what kind of video camera do you use?
Cuz that is clear as a bell... both sight and sound... and for no tripod it is very stable too. A+

Intersting to see Taylor mostly uses no pick, although he has some on his stand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 02:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 12, 2012 02:33

Glad you liked it Max, thanks for the kind words!...yeah the camera works well for what I need it for. It's about 3 years old but still gets it done! It's a Canon Powershot G9...I bring it to all of the shows I go to.

Unfortunately, security was very tight at the Beacon theatre and didn't allow any video...but I got away with recording an obscure/first time ever played song while security had walked away...so I was lucky!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 02:34 by Justin.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:38

Thanks for the videos!

Date: May 12, 2012 03:07

Justin
Some pics I took. I arrived very late..only catching the last 2 songs...

Video up shortly

Is my eyesight going or has he lost a considerable amount of weight in the last year? Looks much leaner to me. Looks great! Something is definitely up! UP!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home