Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
career peak performance, twickenham 2003
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 9, 2012 08:29

This was an unbelievable concert. The best they've ever played on film in recent decades. Amazing, amazing. You can feel 40 years of learning poured into it on a fortuitously great night.

When do you feel the band hit a real climax?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 08:37 by Send It To me.

Re: career peak performance, twickenham 2003
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2012 09:47

It was a great show and a great day. Everybody was high on expectation and they delivered a great performance to their hometown crowd. One of the best outdoor gigs they've ever played in England.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:08

@#$%&, Street Fighting Man, Paint It Black, Wild Horses and Rocks Off are my favourites. It's a great show.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:51

Agreed, it was a great show. I stayed with friends in London for a couple of days and they came with us to the show, neither being huge Stones fans but they were completely blown away by this show and despite all of us smoking too much dope prior to the gig we managed to get within 7 rows from the front. A really memorable show. They were all on top form and seemed to be loving playing to a home crowd,

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:54

The Licks Tour gave great performances overall
The MSG show, the Ahoy show, Marseille, Cirkus Krone, Dublin are some highlights I remeber very well

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 9, 2012 12:12

Sorry, but if I hear "Gimme Shelter" here and on LA Friday there is a immense gap between the quality of guitar playing, Ronnies and Keith' decline is a sad thing ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 12:17 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 9, 2012 12:53

I was at the 29 August Wembley Arena show. Pretty friggin' awesome.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 9, 2012 13:34

flairville
@#$%&, Street Fighting Man, Paint It Black, Wild Horses and Rocks Off are my favourites. It's a great show.

I was there too that night & 100% agree!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 9, 2012 13:57

Has this show appeared as a boot DVD yet?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 9, 2012 18:18

Street Fighting Man in London on the b-stage was the best version of the whole tour
with a great ending:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 18:21 by TooTough.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 9, 2012 18:32

Good memories of Twickers '03

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:02

Good show but it wasn't even the peak of that week, let alone their career.

The show the following Friday night at Wembley Arena (29/8/03) was the greatest Rolling Stones concert out of the 47 I've been to.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:15

3 massive screw ups have been cleverly fixed for the DVD so it doesn't really give an accurate portrayal of the performance.

Whilst it was a good show, there are many better ones from that tour.

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:29

Gazza

The show the following Friday night at Wembley Arena (29/8/03) was the greatest Rolling Stones concert out of the 47 I've been to.

That was a fantastic night

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:40

I was lucky enough to be at this show, I think it was the best Stones show I've been to. Unfortunately I was too young and missed Hyde Park, Christmas shows of London 69, 71 farewell tour and 73 European tour. But I enjoyed this show more than Voodoo and Babylon shows I went to. The other Stones highlights for me was Milan 2006 and Brno, Czech Rep 2007 quite a small outdoor arena show by Stones standards.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:27

Well I was at Wembley, the 29th, and thát was a great show!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:36

Doc
The Licks Tour gave great performances overall
The MSG show, the Ahoy show, Marseille, Cirkus Krone, Dublin are some highlights I remeber very well

Yeah,Licks tour had a lot of good shows. Another very good one war the 2. indoor gig in Munich in the hall. And of course many very nice song renditions at their various Club gigs.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:25

Gazza

I was at all three of those Wembley shows. Remind me - which was the album they featured that night - Let It Bleed?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:32

The speed version of Brown Sugar?

I prefer the groove version (which admittedly they hardly ever played after 1970).

In fact, the only time they probably ever played it properly was at Altamont.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 23:32 by GravityBoy.

Date: May 10, 2012 00:14

Silver Dagger
Gazza

I was at all three of those Wembley shows. Remind me - which was the album they featured that night - Let It Bleed?

Yes. We got Midnight Rambler, Love In Vain and Monkey Man.

The 2nd Wembley show (13th September) featured an Exile mini-set and Sticky Fingers was the featured album at the final Wembley show on the 15th.

Date: May 10, 2012 00:15

GADAWG
vudicus
3 massive screw ups have been cleverly fixed for the DVD so it doesn't really give an accurate portrayal of the performance.

Massive Screw Ups? What were they off key in level three of the fouth and fith stanza...

You are an idiot!

Why a personal attack? Very pathetic.

Ok, find yourself the audience recording and you will hear the 3 screw ups for yourself! And yes, I was there too, before you try that one.

Mick sang the first 2 lines of Tumbling Dice during the intro, totally out of step with everything else. Threw the band off for a while. FIXED FOR THE DVD.

Ronnie made a clanger of a duff note during one of his few solos that night during Wild Horses. Watch the DVD. His finger moves but the note doesn't. The first correct note is digitally stretched to hide the bad one which stuck out like a sore thumb.
FIXED FOR THE DVD.

Charlie came in on the offbeat after the breakdown in "Rocks Off" and continued to do so for quite some time, throwing everyone off.
FIXED FOR THE DVD. REMOVED COMPLETELY FOR THE CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 00:17 by vudicus.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 10, 2012 00:18

vudicus
GADAWG
vudicus

Massive Screw Ups? What were they off key in level three of the fouth and fith stanza...

You are an idiot!

Ok, find yourself the audience recording and you will hear the 3 screw ups for yourself! And yes, I was there too, before you try that one.

Mick sang the first 2 lines of Tumbling Dice during the intro, totally out of step with everything else. FIXED FOR THE DVD.

Ronnie made a clanger of a duff note during one of his few solos that night during Wild Horses. Watch the DVD. His finger moves but the note doesn't. The first correct note is digitally stretched to hide the bad one which stuck out like a sore thumb.
FIXED FOR THE DVD.

Charlie came in on the offbeat after the breakdown in "Rocks Off" and continued to do so for quite some time, throwing everyone off.

At last, an explanation for why Rocks Off is butchered on Live Licks. I still can't understand why they did it, tho. "A mistake is nothing, but your lack of passion is unforgivable." - Beethoven teaching piano in Immortal Beloved

Date: May 10, 2012 00:21

Send It To me
vudicus
GADAWG
vudicus

You are an idiot!

Mick sang the first 2 lines of Tumbling Dice during the intro, totally out of step with everything else. FIXED FOR THE DVD.

FIXED FOR THE DVD.

At last, an explanation for why Rocks Off is butchered on Live Licks. I still can't understand why they did it, tho. "A mistake is nothing, but your lack of passion is unforgivable." - Beethoven teaching piano in Immortal Beloved

Yup, it was one of those humerous but slightly painful to hear Stones goofs.
On the audience tape, it is very audible.

What amazes me is that they fixed it for the DVD but felt the need to edit it all out on the CD. Where is the logic there?

Date: May 10, 2012 00:44

Just to add...

One of the things I love about the Stones is that they make mistakes.
It is further proof that they are constantly improvising, playing with feel and instinct, never playing the same thing twice.

The reason I mentioned the "3 screw ups" is because I wanted to make the point that this wasn't the "Career Peak Performance" that the DVD shows.
I love the DVD and have watched it several times, but I know for a fact from seeing the actual show and many others to compare it to, that this was far from an amazing performance. There is a lot of post production on this DVD to make it seem stronger than it was.

I know that a duff note in a solo doesn't sound like much, but the other 2 "Screw ups" I mentioned threw the band right off and both times could be referred to as "train wrecks".

The gig prior to this had been postponed due to Jaggers throat problems and the band hadn't been on stage in a while. Maybe they were a little rusty.
Whilst they played a decent show, there are many from this leg of the tour that stand out as better performances where they were really firing on all cylinders.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 00:47 by vudicus.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: May 10, 2012 00:59

Gazza

was there too, but have more great moments few days later at the sept 1rd & 3 shows at the SECC glasgow in this little arena, the good idea I have had when these shows where sheduled later after the whole european leg was, thinking : a 7000 places arena show : a place to be . a few clics later got the tics by the net ... end of summer, a kind of hollidays moments and the Stones seen Front row !! love these scottish instant for ever

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 10, 2012 02:17

I'm glad that Too Tough posted SFM from the B stage - Awesome version!!!!

Date: May 10, 2012 04:15

jeanmarie
Gazza

was there too, but have more great moments few days later at the sept 1rd & 3 shows at the SECC glasgow in this little arena, the good idea I have had when these shows where sheduled later after the whole european leg was, thinking : a 7000 places arena show : a place to be . a few clics later got the tics by the net ... end of summer, a kind of hollidays moments and the Stones seen Front row !! love these scottish instant for ever

I was at those two Glasgow shows too, jean-marie. Best audiences in the UK for any artist and the Stones are no exception. I actually flew home for a day in between them as it worked out cheaper than staying in a hotel for an extra night - plus I got to spend a few hours with my wife, after having only been home for two days following my 8 days in London.

An unforgettable and hectic few weeks.

22nd - 30th August - in London. Three Stones shows (1 Twickenham show (23/8) postponed) and Mick Taylor at the 100 Club too.
Flew home to Belfast on the 30th.
Flew to Glasgow on 1st September - show at the SECC that night
Flew home on the 2nd
Flew back to Glasgow on the 3rd - 2nd SECC show that night.
Flew home on the 4th
(I passed on the Manchester and Werchter shows which took place on the 5th and 7th)
Train to Dublin on the 9th for three nights (Mrs Gazza went this time) - two shows (9th and 11th)
Home on the 12th for one day. Originally it was meant to be for two but the Wembley dates were changed at a week's notice from 14th and 15th to the 13th and 15th for 'scheduling reasons' (Mick had actually been told not to sing two nights in a row ever again after the Amsterdam and twickenham postponements)

Flew to London from 13th to 16th (two shows at Wembley 13th and 15th)
Flew home on the 16th.

I didnt go back for the rescheduled Twickers gig on 20th September as I was still recovering from Open Wallet Surgery.

Looking back on it, I must have been absolutely mad, but it was maybe the best few weeks of following the Stones I've ever had. And the shows were absolutely fantastic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 04:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 10, 2012 05:11

Gazza
and Mick Taylor at the 100 Club too.

Still can't believe I was in the same room that night and never met ya, but that was before I was a regular poster.

Maybe next time.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 10, 2012 10:20

Were Sway and BTMMR performed at this show?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 10, 2012 11:17

There have been to many fantastic nights I can recall. So many with friends I haven't seen for years and met again. So many where the night was not only to be kept in a closed book, but still alive and vivid like it would have been yesterday.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home