Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Let It Bleed
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 8, 2012 09:28

Green Lady
Send It To me
"You can cream on me" - Dude, whaaaaat?

smoking smiley

Yeah - if that line was in Rough Justice everyone would be complaining about how crass the lyrics are these days.

Can you imagine if Brown Sugar were released today? A song full of erotic references to the enslavement of African-Americans. Yikes. Somehow, it manages not to offend. Still waiting for track talk for C--ksucker blues...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 8, 2012 09:31

rocker1
The weakest song on the album, and it's not even close.

A throwaway which rides on the coattails of the greatness of the surrounding numbers. Any affection for this song is not for the song itself, but for an era or for a time when the other songs reflected what was so great about the Stones.

The one steaming piece of shit on an album of otherwise shining gold nuggets.

But it still is better than anything released after '89...So how would you describe that latter period than?

Mathijs

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 8, 2012 09:44

Send It To me
Green Lady
Send It To me
"You can cream on me" - Dude, whaaaaat?

smoking smiley

Yeah - if that line was in Rough Justice everyone would be complaining about how crass the lyrics are these days.

Can you imagine if Brown Sugar were released today? A song full of erotic references to the enslavement of African-Americans. Yikes. Somehow, it manages not to offend. Still waiting for track talk for C--ksucker blues...

Official releases only for Rene, I think - so go ahead and start one!

Ooops! there is one. Here you are:

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 09:48 by Green Lady.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 8, 2012 14:46

71Tele
Bill Wyman played autoharp?

He did indeed, those high pitched pings.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 8, 2012 15:00

Is he singing "You can cum all over me"? confused smiley

The song is brilliant from the very start to the end. Excellent slide work from Keith. I love how the band builds it up and it gets more intense.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 8, 2012 15:16

A brilliant sleazy swamp rocker that builds and builds like a marde gras of junkies and parasites dancing a slow waltz of death. The opening strains of the slide groaning like a casket opening. Keith drawing every last bit of juju from it until he pummels the opening acoustic riff like waking from a opium stupor. You can smell the incense, see the Moroccan rugs, floor cushions and a dirt encrusted finger nailed hand packing an opium bowl. Jagger drawls out the opening vocals like a slow ceremonial dagger sacrificing another thirteen year old on his idol throne of loin lust. Charlie just keeps a snapping hypnotic beat that after every stanza pushes the song just a little more forcefully. Jasmine tea and steel guitar engagements, now with an entire room full of hanger ons, and nymph acolytes circling in for more flesh and body fluids. You can cum on me. How can a perfect trance of debauchery be too long? It is the entire 60's meshed into a final realization of the darker currents that would propel the idealism of the 60's into deeper excess never before imagined. Let it Bleed is the end of Little Beaver and heralded in a youthful vampirism of lust and nihilism. A perfectly scripted piece of British blues, perfect. Go ahead and lean on me, just don't give me too much neck or I will bite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 16:35 by whitem8.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 8, 2012 15:21

Hell, YEAH! whitem8! I couldn't have put it better. As a matter of fact, I could not put it
like you at all. But you sure hit the nail somewhere.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2012 16:58

whitem8
A brilliant sleazy swamp rocker that builds and builds like a marde gras of junkies and parasites dancing a slow waltz of death. The opening strains of the slide groaning like a casket opening. Keith drawing every last bit of juju from it until he pummels the opening acoustic riff like waking from a opium stupor. You can smell the incense, see the Moroccan rugs, floor cushions and a dirt encrusted finger nailed hand packing an opium bowl. Jagger drawls out the opening vocals like a slow ceremonial dagger sacrificing another thirteen year old on his idol throne of loin lust. Charlie just keeps a snapping hypnotic beat that after every stanza pushes the song just a little more forcefully. Jasmine tea and steel guitar engagements, now with an entire room full of hanger ons, and nymph acolytes circling in for more flesh and body fluids. You can cum on me. How can a perfect trance of debauchery be too long? It is the entire 60's meshed into a final realization of the darker currents that would propel the idealism of the 60's into deeper excess never before imagined. Let it Bleed is the end of Little Beaver and heralded in a youthful vampirism of lust and nihilism. A perfectly scripted piece of British blues, perfect. Go ahead and lean on me, just don't give me too much neck or I will bite.

holy moly...that was poetry.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 8, 2012 18:12

[kickin off shoes] whitem8, let's dance!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 8, 2012 18:36

Nice writeup whitem8. I loved this song when I first heard it when the album was released and have always enjoyed how this translated to live renditions.Having read through this thread I can say that until now I have never heard Stones fans rag on LIB like this. Strange. My feeling is what's not to like?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 8, 2012 18:38

whitem8, you are really on a roll. Can the Norman Mailer Prize for Literature be far behind?

Date: May 8, 2012 21:24

filstan
Nice writeup whitem8. I loved this song when I first heard it when the album was released and have always enjoyed how this translated to live renditions.Having read through this thread I can say that until now I have never heard Stones fans rag on LIB like this. Strange. My feeling is what's not to like?

eggsactly!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 9, 2012 00:35

Great great tune!!! Kith's work is at his peak, no virtuoso but effective and very soulful. The whole band is superb.
Live versions on Hampton and Stripped are very nice, this tune works perfectly in live situations, and do not need virtuoso arragments......... Keiths harmonies in stripped are glorious

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 9, 2012 01:14

treaclefingers
filstan

eggsactly!

Yeah tis a bit eggy.

Date: May 9, 2012 01:42

His Majesty
treaclefingers
filstan

eggsactly!

Yeah tis a bit eggy.

wot's made you so hard-boiled?

Date: May 9, 2012 01:59

Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback...was in one of those moods with LIB cranked loud!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 9, 2012 04:57

whitem8
Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback...was in one of those moods with LIB cranked loud!

Seriously dude, that was pure poetry, beautifully written. If you're not already in the writing business, you should be.

Drew

Date: May 9, 2012 05:06

WOW! That is very kind Drew. I am not in the writing business but like to write, and if I wasn't so damned lazy I would love to write a book:-) Thanks you are very kind Drew.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 9, 2012 05:49

whitem8

hmmmm...well...this almost makes me appreciate the song a little more. Almost. Beautiful description of a time, more than a song, I think. But nice work. Although I still think you're polishing a turd, to a degree...nicely done. I'll burn one here in a minute and give it a fresh listen.

Date: May 9, 2012 06:20

Mathijs
rocker1
The weakest song on the album, and it's not even close.

A throwaway which rides on the coattails of the greatness of the surrounding numbers. Any affection for this song is not for the song itself, but for an era or for a time when the other songs reflected what was so great about the Stones.

The one steaming piece of shit on an album of otherwise shining gold nuggets.

But it still is better than anything released after '89...So how would you describe that latter period than?

Mathijs

The period after '89? One big honkin' bowel movement.

[That applies primarily to studio output. A minor and almost insignificant caveat can perhaps be granted to live performances, where there are little moments in each show, perhaps lasting no longer than a second or two when a lick gets played somewhat like it used to for a fleeting moment, reminding all of us of former greatness.]

Hey, I love 'em and have paid $$$$ to see them live many, many times in that period, and have even thoroughly enjoyed aspects of all the shows I've paid through the nose to watch. (Watch...the operative word.) But they don't play with a rock spirit anymore by a long shot. [cf Bruce Sprinsteen in 2012 for an example of how it's still possible for the oldsters to perform balls-out without safety nets and still have your audience spontaneously ejaculate.]

Date: May 9, 2012 06:55

Polishing a turd. I just can't reconcile that at all. Let it Bleed is one of the most perfect albums made, and the song itself, pretty much defines an era. And it is a fantastic piece of hillbilly swamp blues. Timeless.

Date: May 9, 2012 07:13

whitem8
Polishing a turd. I just can't reconcile that at all. Let it Bleed is one of the most perfect albums made, and the song itself, pretty much defines an era. And it is a fantastic piece of hillbilly swamp blues. Timeless.

I agree with you. Let it Bleed is almost a perfect album. *Almost* a perfect album. There's just one track too many.

Hey, this is all so crazy. In the overall scheme of things, the SONG Let it Bleed suffers mainly by comparison (in my mind) to the incredible songs surrounding it. It's only a turd in the context of that album (well, a "turd"...that's a bit harsh but I go for the charged rhetoric of politicians sometimes just to make a point). Put it on any other album and it's a stronger track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 07:14 by rocker1.

Date: May 9, 2012 08:46

with sssoul
[kickin off shoes] whitem8, let's dance!

Hmmm, so are we the junkies?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2012 09:45

whitem8

Mr White - you should be writing the lyrics for the next Stones album. This year's Booker prize goes to whitem8.

Date: May 9, 2012 10:51

A simple, effective and soulful country-tune. A song I'll never skip, be it the studio version or the 1981-versions.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: May 9, 2012 10:51

superb album track and, in my book, among Mick Jagger's most impressive vocal efforts ever.

Unfortunately its subtle sleaziness does not seem to translate in a live setting, the "Stripped" version being a prime example. On "Stripped", this tune comes off as a generic hillbilly number which does not do any justice to the original.

The same could be said, by the way, about "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" which they sadly turned into a by-the-numbers Chuck Berry style R'n'R tune.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 9, 2012 11:25

It fitted perfectly on the sloppy and high speed 1981-82 tour

Date: May 9, 2012 11:49

KeithNacho
It fitted perfectly on the sloppy and high speed 1981-82 tour

No high-speed, just perfect speed:

Date: May 9, 2012 12:35

Silver Dagger
whitem8

Mr White - you should be writing the lyrics for the next Stones album. This year's Booker prize goes to whitem8.
Thanks much silver dagger! Very kind of you.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2012 12:57

Tantekäthe
superb album track and, in my book, among Mick Jagger's most impressive vocal efforts ever.

Unfortunately its subtle sleaziness does not seem to translate in a live setting, the "Stripped" version being a prime example. On "Stripped", this tune comes off as a generic hillbilly number which does not do any justice to the original.

The same could be said, by the way, about "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" which they sadly turned into a by-the-numbers Chuck Berry style R'n'R tune.

That is spot on. Although I love the LYL-version of iorr. Let it bleed is a solonumber by Mick, one of his best vocals, top ten without a doubt. His vocals on the album Let it bleed is among his best. Compare the vocals on Let it bleed and Midnight Rambler. Both are dark and very Jaggery. Mick returns to the blues he had on Can I get a witness and Walking the dog.

On the song Let it bleed Keith is great of course but Mick's vocals is what makes it worthy.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home