Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Latest From Bill German
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 20, 2012 13:17

Get Back?

(April 16, 2012) -- The Stones have recalculated their math. In answer to fans' pleas for a 50th anniversary tour in 2012, the band has stated that their true golden anniversary isn't this year, but next: Although the Rolling Stones debuted in July 1962, Charlie didn't become a member until January 1963. Whether or not you agree with that logic, it buys the Stones some time to get their touring chops together, and gets the fans and media off their back ... until 2013.

The same goes for a new CD release. Despite the possibilities and rumors of an upcoming studio jam (rumors that were sparked by Ronnie Wood last week, who later retracted his words), it appears that the Stones' only output this year will be their self-produced documentary and coffee table book. Outside of some necessary business meetings (and a very casual jam session?), the four Stones will spend the next few months on their solo projects.

Charlie will continue to gig with his ABCD of Boogie Woogie jazz band. He'll be bringing it to New York's Iridium jazz club from June 29 to July 2 (two shows a night), preceded by a night at Lincoln Center on June 28. He and the band have just completed dates in Germany, Austria, and England.

Last time we checked in, on the previous version of this page, Mick had just sung at President Obama's "Red, White and Blues" concert in the East Room of the White House, and Keith had just played a concert tribute to the late blues guitarist Hubert Sumlin at New York's Apollo Theatre. For the moment, Mick has nothing on his agenda, but Keith will be flying to Baton Rouge next week for the Slim Harpo Awards. Named for the blues giant who penned "Shake Your Hips" and "I'm a King Bee" (both covered by the Stones), the ceremony will take place April 23 at the Manship Theatre. Keith will receive the "Ambassador's Award" and hopefully take part in the closing jam.

Speaking of Louisiana, Keith's been working with New Orleans legend Aaron Neville. But the work has been taking place here in New York. Keith was at Electric Lady Studio for a few days in late March, producing (and not playing on) Aaron's next album.

By Keith's own admission, his long layoff from the guitar (while concentrating on his book, etc.) has left him a bit rusty. But he's been dipping his feet in the pool this year, with the recent event at the Apollo and with next week's event in Baton Rouge. Additionally, on February 26, he paid tribute to Chuck Berry at the JFK Library in Boston, by performing Chuck's "Promised Land" alongside Elvis Costello. Chuck didn't play, but Keith got to chat with him, as well as with the evening's other honoree, Leonard Cohen.

Ronnie continues to be the busiest Stone of them all. A few weeks ago, on March 29, he attended Paul McCartney's concert at Royal Albert Hall in London, where he and Roger Daltrey hopped onstage to help on the Beatles' "Get Back." He then flew to New York, to open an exhibition of his artwork and to talk about the Faces' much-heralded April 14 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. The induction ceremony -- and ensuing jam -- was to mark the first reunion in almost 20 years of the four surviving members of the Faces: Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Ian McLagan, and Kenney Jones. The anticipation among fans and the music industry had reached fever pitch.

But when Beggars Banquet Online caught up with Ronnie in New York, he broke the news to us -- before announcing it at a press conference in Cleveland -- that Rod had backed out of the festivities, claiming to have the flu. It sent Ronnie into a panic, trying to find a lead singer. "I was gonna ask Axl Rose, but now I'm thinking about asking Flea to ask Anthony Kiedis." Ronnie even put in a call to Stones backup singer Bernard Fowler. (Perfect choice, we think.) But in the end, it was Mick Hucknall (formerly of Simply Red) who came to the rescue.

And so, on Saturday, April 14, at Cleveland's Public Auditorium, the three remaining Faces rose to the occasion. They accepted their Hall of Fame trophies and delivered brilliant versions of "Stay With Me" and "Ooh La La" (utilizing, ironically enough, the bassist from Rod's touring band). Ronnie then played on Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" alongside his surname-challenged pals Flea and Slash, during the evening's all-star finale. This was, of course, Ronnie's second introduction into the Hall (he got in as a member of the Stones in '89), and there's no word as to whether he destroyed his trophy like he did the first time. (See chapter 19 of the book "Under Their Thumb.")

Before Ronnie heads back to the UK, he'll be performing a solo show this Saturday night, April 21, at the Golden Nugget Hotel in Atlantic City. The room holds about 1,400 people. Ronnie told us he has "no idea" what he's going to play that night, but guaranteed "a great @#$%&' show!" He'll have Stones sidemen Bernard Fowler and Chuck Leavell in his band, as well as bassist Willie Weeks (who played on Woody's 1970s solo albums) and drummer Steve Jordan (who was in Keith's X-Pensive Winos band).

And Ronnie's not finished. Come June 30, he'll be playing the Hammersmith Apollo in London, as part of London's week-long Blues Fest. He'll cover a bunch of songs from the Chess Records catalog and will enlist the help of friends like Mick Taylor. Mr. Taylor, it should be noted, will stage his own Blues Fest show on July 6 (at a place called Under The Bridge) and will also play twelve shows at New York's aforementioned Iridium nightclub, from May 9 to 14 (two shows a night).

So that's where we're at. This is a page dedicated to Rolling Stones news, but there's no Stones news to report and our headline for this edition comes from a Beatles song. For many Stones fans, 2013 can't come soon enough.

Beggars Banquet Online's Bill German with Ronnie Wood in NYC last week.
Ronnie's been sober for over two years now, so it was Bill drinking the Jack Daniel's
and Ronnie drinking the Diet Coke. (Photo by Bob Gruen.)

[www.beggarsbanquetonline.com]

Re: The Latest From Bill German
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 20, 2012 15:13

>>Ronnie then played on Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" alongside his surname-challenged pals Flea and Slash, during the evening's all-star finale.<<

that's where I nearly spillt my coffee....through the nose grinning smiley

Date: April 20, 2012 15:25

LOL!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 20, 2012 15:29

hope the Atlantic City show gets taped, Youtubed, whatever...I'd like to see what that band does.

cool smiley

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 20, 2012 20:03

January 12th 1963, Ealing.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 20, 2012 22:17

I received a link to that Stones update in a Bill German email. Nice to see Bill and Ronnie together again. Is this Bill's first encounter with a Rolling Stone since UNDER THEIR THUMB was published?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: April 21, 2012 07:21

The 50th anniversary year runs from July 12, 2012 through July 11, 2013. I hope this means we get a live performance sometime early in the year, like January 14, for example. My fear is that the longer they wait the more that can go wrong. Wish they had chosen to tour and release a new album this summer. They are definitely waiting to the last possible moment. The question becomes: Will they have waited too long? I certainly hope not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-21 07:23 by stonescrow.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 21, 2012 08:13

So Bill German has gone from reporting scoops and insider info before it's officially announced to now just summarizing the latest events after they've happened.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 21, 2012 08:13

stonescrow
The 50th anniversary year runs from July 12, 2012 through July 11, 2013. I hope this means we get a live performance sometime early in the year, like January 14, for example. My fear is that the longer they wait the more that can go wrong. Wish they had chosen to tour and release a new album this summer. They are definitely waiting to the last possible moment. The question becomes: Will they have waited too long? I certainly hope not.

I must admit I was quite pessimistic when the news came of the 'defering' of the tour to 2013, but became hopeful again when discussion turned to the 'new album' sessions to start in April. I still hope this is actually happening. If it isn't, I think we're about done here in terms of a future-functioning band.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: April 21, 2012 08:44

treaclefingers
stonescrow

I must admit I was quite pessimistic when the news came of the 'defering' of the tour to 2013, but became hopeful again when discussion turned to the 'new album' sessions to start in April. I still hope this is actually happening. If it isn't, I think we're about done here in terms of a future-functioning band.

They have certainly taken us on a roller coaster ride. At some point they are going to have to make some sort of official announcement. When that will come is hard to say. I think the sooner the better. They have made their fans wait long enough. Even I am getting impatient and I love the build up as much as I love the event. I do know one thing, if we haven't heard something by the fall it is probably over.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 24, 2012 20:01

"At some point they are going to have to make some sort of official announcement"

Why? Did somebody pass a law?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 24, 2012 22:18

Does anyone, besides me, think that it's a little bit insensitive of German to flaunt the Jack Daniels in front of Ronnie?

I realize that the meeting was in a pub, but did he really need to spotlight the alcohol in his photo with Ronnie?

Just wondering...
Talk amongst yourselves.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 24, 2012 22:49

Kurt
Does anyone, besides me, think that it's a little bit insensitive of German to flaunt the Jack Daniels in front of Ronnie?

I realize that the meeting was in a pub, but did he really need to spotlight the alcohol in his photo with Ronnie?

Just wondering...
Talk amongst yourselves.

Doesn't look like a posed shot. Just sayin.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:25

Bill and Ronnie photographed by Bob Gruen, no less!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:38

Kurt

Not really. It's been two years. It's not like Ronnie doesn't have access to every liquor or drug on the planet. Ronnie is a very social animal and pubs have been his life. He knows he can't drink. It's not the drink itself which is the problem.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 24, 2012 23:47

Kurt

Just wondering...
Talk amongst yourselves.

God help Ronnie if he ever goes on a Stones tour again, in that case.

If he's been off booze for a few years, I doubt this is the first time he's ever been in an environment where someone has been drinking alcohol.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 25, 2012 00:59

people that the stones cast aside sometimes become really sad characters.from watching the stones over the years it seems the best way to deal with them would be to not get too involved,be really down to earth and not need one thing from them.
unfortunately,all to often you get what we have here.a person who cant let go, who has been thrown out of the club and is making a sad attempt to appear to be still on the inside.

i like the picture but i think i have a couple shots lying around of myself and a few friends having a laugh with ronnie[im not kidding]

seems like a nice guy but we really didnt need a synopsis of all the posts on iorr telling us what the band has been up to.inside information doesnt mean you visit iorr,rocks off and shidoobee all in the same day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home