Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The definitive 1972 clip?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 10, 2012 22:54

Found this in Wikipedia about some of the casualties of the STP tour:
After-effects

Many of the Stones' associates and collaborators did not survive the atmosphere of the tour. Marshall Chess, the band's de facto manager and head of Rolling Stones Records, lapsed into heroin addiction and lost over thirty pounds; he continued to work for the Stones at a diminished rate before leaving and detoxing in 1977. The rigors of the road exacerbated Nicky Hopkins' frail health; he too would battle drug addiction before undergoing the Church of Scientology's Purification Rundown several years later. Publicity coordinator Gary Stromberg, "one hundred percent @#$%& up" as per Greenfield's account at the conclusion of the New York run, was left on a boat off Fire Island to clean up; a "thirty percent @#$%& up" Stromberg would replicate his duties for T.Rex's first tour of America. Lighting director Chip Monck's experimental projection system proved to be a convoluted mess and major embarrassment, decimating much of his reputation of being at the vanguard of the field.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: April 10, 2012 23:02

i use this for matrix/merge
with the audience source

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 10, 2012 23:17

Awesome indeed. Always loved these clips and it sonds awesome with Nicky (or Ian, on his songs) so high up in the mix. I really hope we'll get a better dvd of that tour some time in the future.

His Majesty
It works for SFM, but not so much for Brown Sugar, he seems to de-sex it with that legato minor sounding lick he seems to play on everything live from 1971 onwards.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I like that lick or style of playing but it works better in some songs, and it does get old after a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-10 23:18 by LieB.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 01:05

His Majesty
The sound of the band is spoiled by Taylor widdling so much.

Wow! Widdling?? Taylor's talents lifted the band and Richards. I understand being a fan of Ronnie Wood - but to denegrate Taylor's tremndous skills seem a bit much.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: April 11, 2012 02:28

on a side note.....always wished Rocks Off made L&G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-11 02:29 by ultimaterocker.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 11, 2012 02:37

There's a clip on the Exile Deluxe Boxset DVD from 'Cock Sucker Blues' where the band are backstage jamming to Under My Thumb I think. It's absolutely beyond belief. The sound, the vibe. Absolute petfection.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 11, 2012 02:43

Shawn20
His Majesty

Wow! Widdling?? Taylor's talents lifted the band and Richards. I understand being a fan of Ronnie Wood - but to denegrate Taylor's tremndous skills seem a bit much.

Yes widdling! Fan of Ronnie Wood?

Lol.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 07:02

Carnaby
Big time. What he did to Bye Bye Johnnie was a cryin' shame.
I'm not crying but to each his own....

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 11, 2012 07:33

Thanks for the clip.
Awesome performance by the band, firing on all cylinders.
Wonderful that Cavett put so much film of the live
performance on his show rather than more interview time.
Glad whoever mixed the tape had the sense to put Taylor
high in the mix. Great lines, great tone. Seems to stop
Jagger in his tracks during the BS solo.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:36

and keep in mind- Jagger finishes the Cavett interview and then heads right for the stage - no prep no nothing - who else could do that? nobody - not even close

just watch the very end of this clip - the hat goes on - and he's ready, folks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-11 09:41 by hbwriter.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 18:33

I have to admit that the Stones' charisma has worn off for me, so I am surprised to say that after all these years I still get a tingle when I see photos or video of Taylor and Keith walking to the stage with their guitars.....the overwhelming confidence and competence of the guitar players.

Date: April 11, 2012 19:46

hbwriter
and keep in mind- Jagger finishes the Cavett interview and then heads right for the stage - no prep no nothing - who else could do that? nobody - not even close

Looks to be going in to another dressing room rather than onstage. smiling smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 11, 2012 19:58

hbwriter

We all know that Mick preps for the shows. Make up, stretching, etc... He's not some super human that just shows up and goes on stage. It appears in the video that he does indeed go into another dressing room, to go get prepped smiling smiley He's a professional musician like every other professional musician.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 23:19

A Cavett story he told that amuses me (he is a small, elfish man): He was walking down a NYC street on a hot summer day and sees Groucho Marx. Cavett approached him, introduced himself and said "I'm your biggest fan!" Cavett said that Groucho did not miss a beat when he responded "On a day like this I need a bigger fan than you!" That's how Cavett met Groucho and they became friends.

Cavett had a very hip show back. He related well to a diverse group of artists & celebrities. I enjoyed his show. That footage with Jagger is a real coup.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 00:23

GumbootCloggeroo
hbwriter

We all know that Mick preps for the shows. Make up, stretching, etc... He's not some super human that just shows up and goes on stage. It appears in the video that he does indeed go into another dressing room, to go get prepped smiling smiley He's a professional musician like every other pro
fessional musician.

He went back into the dressing room to "prep" himself with cocaine before going onstage.

Date: April 12, 2012 00:32

batonrouge75

He went back into the dressing room to "prep" himself with cocaine before going onstage.

Did he leave his hat on whilst doing so? grinning smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 12, 2012 14:10

They were übercool back then! smoking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 15:42

hbwriter
no limos - they leave in a freaking station wagon - if you watch the earlier Cavett clips from this day - you see jagger transform - step by step - i think the only time it has ever been captured on tape - jagger becoming JAGGER (and just LISTEN to Nicky) no band was ever better than this, in my opinion

I think it has been discussed before, but Brown Sugar' piano in 1972 is played by Stu, not Nicky. Just listen. He played live in Brown sugar and Sweet virginia, that's not Nicky. The difference between the piano part of Brown Sugar and Bitch is so amazing, barrel piano against funky-driven penthatonics. Listen 3:33, the octaves fill, this a rough player, Stu.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-12 15:44 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 12, 2012 16:07

Dandelion - i didn't know that - a fascinating detail - thank you

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 20:14

ROPENI
His Majesty
straycatblues73
Carnaby
His Majesty

Big time. What he did to Bye Bye Johnnie was a cryin' shame.

?
just agree that is a great clip !
no need !

I dunno, it's hard to hear the band due to Taylor.

l guess since l am not a musician,all l hear is a band kicking ass,at their peak.

Rumour has it that some musicians exist who rate Taylor's contribution to the Stones' body of work very highly.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home