Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bass on Fingerprint File '75
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:36

So....Ronnie always played the bass part when they did this live? And Bill always moved over to synthesizer? And the bass part was always live? Not pre-recorded? I know that seems strange but I haven't downloaded the '75 concert yet, and I only have my L.A. Forum DVD to go by. The bass sounds suspiciously like the record to me. Now the bass part on the recording was allegedly done by Mick Taylor? With Bill on synth. So.....Bill never played the FF bass line live? Was this song ever done after '75? At any rate, if it is live, it sounds like Ronnie is playing Mick Taylor's bass lines note by note.

Re: Bass on Fingerprint File '75
Date: April 8, 2012 00:47

Nope, played live every night, and it´s not very similar to the studio recording - although some parts that Taylor played were kept by Ronnie.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 8, 2012 00:58

Well, Ronnie was a bass player with Jeff Beck and he certainly shines on this. A unique lineup - The Glimmers on guitars, Ronnie on bass, Bill on synth.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 8, 2012 01:23

Ronnie incorporated Mick's bass parts but on a more careful listen you can hear the difference. Ronnie stays mostly in the higher section of the neck on the bass...and it sounds slightly thinner than Taylor's lines.

Date: April 8, 2012 08:52

Justin
Ronnie incorporated Mick's bass parts but on a more careful listen you can hear the difference. Ronnie stays mostly in the higher section of the neck on the bass...and it sounds slightly thinner than Taylor's lines.

That might encapsulate the difference in Wood and Taylor's guitar playing in general. So I guess the answer to a Stones trivia question would be, "Who are the only three musicians to play bass on stage with the Rolling Stones?"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 8, 2012 09:05

24FPS
"Who are the only three musicians to play bass on stage with the Rolling Stones?"

er ... which three do you mean? there've been at least seven

- SFTD at MSG june 22nd 1975 (the night Clapton guested) by Bob Gruen

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 12:28 by with sssoul.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 8, 2012 10:10

Ronnie is an excellent bass player.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 8, 2012 11:50

GravityBoy

No he is not. He is a great guitar player who plays guitar-licks on the bass.
To understand the premise of the bass you must feel the overall sound to form the music. Ronnie, despite great bass-lines, is sorely playing licks which could be performed as rythm-guitar figures.

Date: April 8, 2012 11:54

?

So?

He does it well and it works - I never heard a terrible bass part from Ronnie.

Not everyone plays bass the same way thank goodness.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 8, 2012 11:57

Blueranger
GravityBoy

To understand the premise of the bass you must feel the overall sound to form the music. Ronnie, despite great bass-lines, is sorely playing licks which could be performed as rythm-guitar figures.

Thank you. Spot on.

Date: April 8, 2012 12:16

"I thought his playing was pretty good for a guitar player"

"Yep,Ronnie IS a very fine bass player."

"I think both Ron and Rod do a great job on that disk. The songs groove pretty well."

"BTW, I always liked Woody's bass playing on Every Picture Tells A Story"

"Ronnie is a much better bassist than guitarist, IMHO."

[www.talkbass.com]

People who have listened to Ron playing bass other than the Stones (where he always aquitted himself well anyway).

Date: April 8, 2012 12:21

More praise for Ronnie the bass player.

[www.talkbass.com]

"And Ronnie is a fabulous bass player with a wonderful dirty sound."

"Ronnie kicks ass on Beckola too. Check it out."

"I think his work is perfect on this album, and my ears don't hear a guitarist. I hear a bassist blues bedrocking these tunes, and I love it."

"Ron is definitely one of my favorite bassists out there!"

"Wood's bass playing really influenced me a great deal. "

Date: April 8, 2012 12:41

Blueranger
GravityBoy

Yes and no. If you listen to FF from LA 75, you´ll find some fantastic bass lines as well as the guitar-oriented licks you mention.

So, yes he is a guitar player playing bass, but he also has an understanding for how the rhythmical and effective bass-parts should be executed, imo.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 14:16

Ronnie IS a great bass player. Ever listen to his work with The Jeff Beck Group? It's been praised by some of the most legendary bassists in the business.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 8, 2012 18:31

I thought it was Keith that switched to bass. Hell, they looked like each other in those days, I guess.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 8, 2012 18:40

stonesdan60
Ronnie IS a great bass player. Ever listen to his work with The Jeff Beck Group? It's been praised by some of the most legendary bassists in the business.

Classic Interview Ron Wood December 1975

During the musically bountiful years of the late Sixties, the Jeff Beck Group emerged; it was an outfit of undisciplined nature and unabashed energy. Featuring Beck on guitar and Rod Stewart on vocals, the band focused primarily on these two members, but below the flash was the lifeblood of the quintet. Bassist Ron Wood laid down flowing lines around which Jeff and keyboardist Nicky Hopkins improvised, and it was Wood’s ingenious fretwork which helped to make the band’s first album, Truth [Epic, BN-26413], a (now realized) rock classic. This early association with Stewart led to Ron’s more recent position as lead guitarist with the Faces. And associations with the English rock scene in general most recently led to his enrollment as second guitarist with the Rolling Stones on their 1975 tour.

Wood first began playing guitar when he was eight, on a loaned instrument from a friend who was joining the army. He used the guitar for two years, until his companion returned from service and resumed ownership. For nearly two years after that, Ron was without an instrument, until his brother’s friends chipped in to buy him a guitar that cost five pounds (£12). “It had really quite bad action on it,” Wood recalls. “It was only an old beat up acoustic. But I would often play in my bedroom - there was a little record player with a tiny little speaker. I just used to learn solos by ear.” Ron’s biggest influence in those early years was Chuck Berry, so it was not too surprising when a few years later, at age fourteen, he purchased an electric. Costing $60, it came from the local record shop and served as his first serious experience in music. He also acquired a Bird amplifier, which provided the only amplification for several amateur groups he was involved with. .....................................

It was natural for Wood to come into the group as a guitarist since his previous training was on that instrument. The switch finally came after several rehearsals when Ambrose did not show up, and Jeff was in a quandary about who would play bass for the practice session. Ron offered his services, and after frequent switches to the bass, Beck asked if he wouldn’t mind playing 4-string permanently. Wood’s first bass was a Fender Jazz he “obtained” from Sound City, a music store around the block from where they rehearsed. “I had no money,” he explains. “I couldn’t pay for it, so I borrowed it and never took it back. About five years later I paid for it, after they tracked me down.” Past rumors about Wood’s so-called feud with Beck over his switch to bass were false. Ron realized his contribution on bass would far outdistance his role as second guitarist. “Some people thought, ‘Oh, you can’t go to bass, it’s an inferior instrument if you’re a guitarist,’ but it’s the other way around. I’m really glad I had that training on bass, because when I went back to guitar I had a whole new viewpoint.”

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 8, 2012 19:57

he is a great bass player!imho

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 8, 2012 20:11

It depends. McCartney he ain't!
Bass-lines like "Break The Spell" are frentic and unfocused. It spoils the sound when he is all over the place. My opinion of course.

Date: April 8, 2012 20:20

with sssoul
24FPS
"Who are the only three musicians to play bass on stage with the Rolling Stones?"

Was not aware of this. Did Bill pick up maracas or did they just push him aside? Yeah, and then it hit me later about the earlier incarnations of the band. So Dick Taylor.

So, Ricky Fenson (did he ever gig with them on stage?) Dick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Daryll Jones, Keith Richards, Ron Wood. Who else?

Date: April 8, 2012 20:23

24FPS
with sssoul
24FPS

Was not aware of this. Did Bill pick up maracas or did they just push him aside? Yeah, and then it hit me later about the earlier incarnations of the band. So Dick Taylor.

So, Ricky Fenson (did he ever gig with them on stage?) Dick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Daryll Jones, Keith Richards, Ron Wood. Who else?

Bill played synth on FF, and was credited (somewhat humorous with "Dancing" in the LYL liner notes).

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: April 8, 2012 21:25

Stanley Clarke and many others have said ronnie's bass playing with Jeff beck was an inspiration...Ronnie is very musical and is a damn cool player.
Still crazy about Bill's playing too though

Date: April 8, 2012 21:30

Back to the tantalizing assertion by SSSSOUL that 7 musicians have played bass live on stage for the Rolling Stones.

I can think of Ricky Fenson (I'm only including him because he played with an early incarnation, but may have never played a live gig with the Rolling STones) Dick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Daryll Jones, Keith Richards (once), Ron Wood (on Fingeprint File on the '75 TOTA) I think that means 5 can be confirmed. Who are the other 2?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 8, 2012 22:03

dadrob
Stanley Clarke and many others have said ronnie's bass playing with Jeff beck was an inspiration...Ronnie is very musical and is a damn cool player.
Still crazy about Bill's playing too though

Yup, Jeff has a good taste when it comes to bass players and singers.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 8, 2012 22:20

Stanley Clarke played bass with the Stones at the Canadian National Institute for the Blind benefits on Miss You and Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Date: April 8, 2012 22:53

ab
Stanley Clarke played bass with the Stones at the Canadian National Institute for the Blind benefits on Miss You and Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Thank you. To quote the late, great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." So, Bill just stepped aside? Okay, we've accounted for 6. Who would be the 7th Musician to play bass live on stage with the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 8, 2012 23:36

24FPS
ab

Thank you. To quote the late, great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." So, Bill just stepped aside?

No Bill was there as well

by Phil Regendanz

Date: April 8, 2012 23:50

Erik_Snow
24FPS
ab

Thank you. To quote the late, great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." So, Bill just stepped aside?

No Bill was there as well

by Phil Regendanz

Okay, so they had the Stones and New Barbarians on the stage at the same time. Thank you. So.......who is the 7th?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 23:51 by 24FPS.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 9, 2012 09:16

24FPS, yes Ricky Fenson performed with them on stage; and Colin Golding played with them on a few dates in November/December 1962
and although it's charming of you to find me tantalizing, you can locate stuff like that yourself on this fine site: [www.nzentgraf.de]

... on the other hand, the good nzentgraf doesn't list the personnel in Stevie Wonder's 1972 tour band,
so was there an "at least 8th" bassplayer among them for Uptight/Satisfaction?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-09 09:21 by with sssoul.

Date: April 9, 2012 11:18

with sssoul
24FPS, yes Ricky Fenson performed with them on stage; and Colin Golding played with them on a few dates in November/December 1962
and although it's charming of you to find me tantalizing, you can locate stuff like that yourself on this fine site: [www.nzentgraf.de]

... on the other hand, the good nzentgraf doesn't list the personnel in Stevie Wonder's 1972 tour band,
so was there an "at least 8th" bassplayer among them for Uptight/Satisfaction?

And my own quick research shows that bass player to most likely be Scott (Scottie) Edwards. That nzentgraf site was kind of eye opening. It doesn't look like the true and final lineup of the original Rolling Stones wasn't set until April 1964. It looks like Bill & Charlie simply weren't available and able to give themselves over completely to the group until that time. Guys like Golding, Fenson and Chapman would make for great interviews for the upcoming documentary.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 9, 2012 12:05

Colin Golding:

[www.the-presidents.org.uk]

"Apart from the Presidents, I had been filling-in as a stand-in bass player with the Rolling Stones (No, honest!). The Stones, at that time, comprised Mick, Keith, Brian Jones, a drummer called Tony Chapman, pianist Ian Stewart and, from time to time, me. We were lucky if the audiences got into double figures. I also played with some of Glyn Johns' scratch bands that he cobbled together to do posh Kingswood parties which also included Ian Stewart and Jimmy Page, wearing his father's dinner suit. Well, they were posh parties! Check this link for a list of gigs I played with The Stones. (link to nzentgraf.de already given above)

All this mixing with sixties rock icons made me realise that I wasn't really good enough and that I had better get a proper job, especially as marriage to Di was approaching fast. The last of the great London fogs made the decision for me, when my beloved Fender Jazz Bass and Vox amplifier were nicked from the back of Ian Stewart's VW, outside Mick and Keith's infamous Edith Grove flat...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-09 12:09 by Green Lady.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home