Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Archive bootleg releases : why no advertisement?
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:08

Just wondering why they're not properly advertising these fantastic shows? No press, no ads in music magazines or websites. Only some kind of announcements on Facebook and twitter. Most people around me who are Stones fans have no idea these shows are released. Feels like they are targeted only at internet freaks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 15:09 by kowalski.

Re: Stones Archive bootleg releases : why no advertisement?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:16

I believe that Facebook and Twiter are the new "billboards" used to spray the information. Madonna didn't do much promo for her new tour, mostly on facebook interviewed by Jimmy Fallon.It is cheap and I guess effective.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: April 4, 2012 15:54

Well obviously not everyone is using facebook or twitter.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:57

Don't Rollingstones.com send an email to everyone on their database? Since everyone who bought a ticket to the previous tours got free membership it's probably a pretty large database.

Date: April 4, 2012 15:58

kowalski

Lots of advertisement, and yes, almost everyone is using Facebook. They reach more people faster this way.

Date: April 4, 2012 16:31

DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Lots of advertisement, and yes, almost everyone is using Facebook. They reach more people faster this way.

Lots of advertisement? Where? Almost everyone's using Facebook? Don't think so.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:44

I believe its classic market testing. Try it out in a few niche markets and follow the praise and complaints. Work out the issues....then world domination

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2012 18:48

The recording industry has dramatically changed. Albums simply do not generate the type of revenue they used to, so big, expensive advertising campaigns make no sense given the return that can be expected.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:21

kowalski

Millions of people do! The stones are probably making a small fortune via anouncing stuff through those sites.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:27

They are using social media to promote these which makes all the sense in the world. These downloads are NICHE PRODUCTS, except in our world.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:31

kowalski

Once you're registered on stonesarchives, you got a message for every release,
but agreed that's cheap !!! winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:34

Facebook has about 845 million users over a given month. To say, "not everyone is on Facebook" really misses the point.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:37

kowalski
Most people around me who are Stones fans have no idea these shows are released.
Then tell the people around you about the release. It's called "word of mouth". True, not everyone has facebook but it's a giant way to advertise, much more so than a magazine ad (I'm guessing more people use facebook to hear about things than they do with magazines).

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:04

kowalski
DandelionPowderman
kowalski

It's not 1978 anymore. The fact alone that the Stones are releasing these recordings as a DOWNLOAD only just goes to show how much of radical direction things have taken today in 2012. I've said in another thread that the advertising is out there. I've seen ads for all the archive releases on YouTube, Gmail and Facebook. Honestly, if you aren't on even just ONE of those three sites...there is no surprise that you'd be left behind. Whether you like it or not, accept or resist it...sites like Facebook is where companies are putting their energy in for ads.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:11

There was quite a bit of banner advertising for Brussels Affair. I saw ads for it all over the internet. I never saw anything for Hampton or L.A. Friday.

As for e-mails, I never got anything from the Stones or from Keith's site about it. And I'm on the mailing lists.

Date: April 4, 2012 20:16

NoCode0680
There was quite a bit of banner advertising for Brussels Affair. I saw ads for it all over the internet. I never saw anything for Hampton or L.A. Friday.

As for e-mails, I never got anything from the Stones or from Keith's site about it. And I'm on the mailing lists.
When was this released, Monday? Today is Wednesday. It's only been 2 days!! Maybe they're working on one. If you don't get an email 2 years from now then come back and complain.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:19

I think Tele hit the nail on the head. It comes down mainly to money and return on invesment. With minimal effort & investment, they're making a product available to a small niche market (who has been all but begging for it for years) and generating what I imagine is a large return on investment when viewed on a percentage basis.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:26

mr_dja
, they're making a product available to a small niche market (who has been all but begging for it for years)

That's a great point. The very people who have talked about "opening the vaults" and begged for some unreleased material--are all on the internet. There would be no way for these types of fans to NOT find out about it through the various ads found throughout the net. With the internet in this day and age, if you can't find out that your favorite artist has released some new live shows on their exclusive site then you probably didn't care enough about the artist to begin with.

Date: April 4, 2012 20:27

GumbootCloggeroo
NoCode0680

When was this released, Monday? Today is Wednesday. It's only been 2 days!! Maybe they're working on one. If you don't get an email 2 years from now then come back and complain.

Who's complaining? Not me. Don't get so defensive. I was just pointing something out. I don't care if I get an e-mail about it, I check this site for my Stones news. I was just responding to rebelrebel saying he thought everybody on the Stones mailing list got an e-mail. I could care less how/when/where they advertise, I was just making an observation and not a complaint.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:27

They're all off for easter vacation.

Date: April 4, 2012 20:28

The times certainly have changed. If the Stones make a music video for a song (ie, an advertisement for a new product), where are they going to show it? On MTV or on television, in general? Nope. Facebook and YouTube.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:32

Isn't the monetization of this for the Stones in being paid by Google to put it on their site? It appears that Google is trying to launch its own music presence and they've highered the high profile Stones to start it with. The Stones are obviously into new technologies before a lot us fuddie duddies ever get around to them. I-MAX, The CD-Rom for Voodoo Lounge, flash drives. The demand is there for these old Stones concerts, and there really isn't another group that anyone would care to get there old performances. (The Grateful Dead are a phenomena of their own).

As for advertising, there was not much promotion of any of this stuff after the Exile reissues. The Some Girls DVD and the Some Girls CD boxset were hardly mentioned. It's almost like there are too many products for them promote, with the Sullivan Shows, the T.A.M.I. concert. Maybe Mick was right about being sick of them by the time this 50th Anniversary passes. Not the hard core fans, who always want more things to bitch about, but the average consumer.

Date: April 4, 2012 20:34

NoCode0680
GumbootCloggeroo
NoCode0680

When was this released, Monday? Today is Wednesday. It's only been 2 days!! Maybe they're working on one. If you don't get an email 2 years from now then come back and complain make your observations known.

Who's complaining? Not me. Don't get so defensive. I was just pointing something out. I don't care if I get an e-mail about it, I check this site for my Stones news. I was just responding to rebelrebel saying he thought everybody on the Stones mailing list got an e-mail. I could care less how/when/where they advertise, I was just making an observation and not a complaint.
fixed smiling smiley

Date: April 4, 2012 20:47

You're certainly in a smartass mood today Gumboot.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 4, 2012 21:19

kowalski

Exactly, why no DVD or CD copy to be had drinking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 4, 2012 21:41

Agree with mr_dja.

The whole project had to be low budget, because they new perfectly well that these releases would be a niche product only.

Fans using internet are a sufficiently large potential market to justify the investments.

In this scenario, the cost of the product had to be reasonably low to minimize file sharing.

So the option was to release a cheap product but well marketed, or invest in value (Bob Clearmountain) and save in marketing costs.

With this regard, the idea of using the lables of famous boots, even if what they end up releasing are under all circumstances different products (different sources, different mix etc.) was extremely effective to generate high expectations at no cost.

I think that the Google deal already covers most of the costs of production.

I have not seen the revenues generated by the sales, but I am quite sure that for a low budget project, this archive thing will end up to be a success and way more profitable than the last 3/4 live official releases on CD.

C

Brickwalled or not, these releases are a huge upgrade compared to what we had.

Date: April 4, 2012 22:35

They did advertisement for Exile reissue (TV appearances) and it worked as Exile went #1 again.

By the way these bootlegs are not only released through Google but also Live Nation who manages Stones Archive website.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 4, 2012 22:45

What about good old fashioned PR? That isn't expensive. Has there been any write-ups in rock mags from press releases? Any reviews? I don't think it would cost much to roll out the ole PR machine, but I haven't seen any of that.

Ross

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 4, 2012 23:13

Was also wondering (yesterday) why....now that these are official releases...classic rock radio stations are not talking about them or playing any tracks from them???...........at least none that I've heard.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 03:29

Worldwide the idea is to have something of interest to draw people to the Stones website and sell merch. A loss leader. And reminding people that they were a great band.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home