Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question for guitarists/tone freaks
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 23, 2012 21:36

I play guitar and I have been trying to nail the Mick Taylor tone from his '84 Bob Dylan tour. I think he may be using a chorus pedal;definitely some modulation going on. Taylor really comes in around 1:45.

Masters of War:

Re: Question for guitarists/tone freaks
Date: February 23, 2012 21:46

Don't watch it if you don't think you can handle the images of war and the destruction it causes to people.

I wish they just had live footage of the boys.

smiling smileyRe: Question for guitarists/tone freaks
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:54

when I saw MT in 84 he was playing through two 100 watt Marshall stacks wide open with a series of Boss pedals including a flanger delay chorus EQ (as a boost which was crazy since he was insanely LOUD) and an Ibanez green OD pedal. I looked over his stuff before he hit the stage...I also cannot hear exactly what he is using to shape his tone but I hear a Les Paul up loud enough to compress a bit and some sort of modulation (maybe the flanger set very low).

there is some footage of the MT with Dylan era around...I doubt they focus on his pedals though. smileys with beer

Date: February 23, 2012 23:00

<and an Ibanez green OD pedal>

Probably a Tube Screamer?

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:04

Yes I meant a Tube screamer......he also employs a wah pedal at times but "notches" it...set it to spike his EQ someplace....this clip sounds like that to me a bit. Zappa did that especially well IMO. MT did that a bit on the 73 tour.

Date: February 26, 2012 00:28

Wow thanks for the info! That must have been amazing to see! His vibrato is crazy on some parts and it sounds somewhat colored. I wish they would remaster the Barcelona concert. I love it when Taylor and Santana play on the same songs!

And the Verona, Italy concert has my favorite version of All Along the Watchtower. It is otherworldly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 26, 2012 12:08

Marshall amp cranked to 11 into a couple 4x12 cabinets with celestions and Les Paul neck pickup sounds like to me. Switched to the bridge pickup for more cutting solos. My ears are ringing just thinking about it. peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home