Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Don McLean - The meaning of American Pie (video) - Stones inclusion
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:48

Re: Don McLean - The meaning of American Pie (video) - Stones inclusion
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:36

The 60s were definitely over. The singer/songwriter movement was at it`s peak, and along comes this saga. It couldn`t have been written today. It couldn`t have been written in the 60s, so there you go...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2012 15:13

Very nicely done. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 17:23

Bliss

Outstanding.

A few "doh" moments for me "this'll be the day that I die"... "that'll be the day that I die"... all these years and it never crossed my mind. I knew it was probably about Buddy Holly but it obviously is (mostly).

That song came from a time when music WAS important and it spoke to people.

I saw him live in the late 1970's.

He was a brilliant songwriter for a time.

Where are the singer songwriters today who can speak so eloquently?

If they are there they are not allowed in the mainstream media.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 17:52

I've always loved this song. If you're over the age of 40, this song is etched into your brain....every single line.
A few years ago, me and some friends were in NYC for the New Year - we were at a bar just after midnight and someone played this on the jukebox...the entire room sang the entire song.......younger people as well.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:22

Well I am over 40 and this is song is in no way etched into my brain. I appreciate that many like this song but many don't so inclusive statements such as "If you're over the age of 40, this song is etched into your brain....every single line." are innaccurate...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:48

You get the feeling that this song wrote itself. It is an inspired work. It reminds me that the Stones almost had their "day" leaving Altamont. From what I read it was an overcrowded, dangerous and perhaps lucky trip out. How would THAT have been for a day in music history?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:00

ChrisM
Well I am over 40 and this is song is in no way etched into my brain. I appreciate that many like this song but many don't so inclusive statements such as "If you're over the age of 40, this song is etched into your brain....every single line." are innaccurate...

Well said Chris. The line should have read "If you're over the age of 40 and have a brain, this song is most likely etched into it".

Also, while we're being hyper-critical of the literal wording of the posts, your spelling of inaccurate was incorrect.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:42

Well i'm under 40 (barely) and I think this song is over-etched in my brain. Almost to the point that when it's playing I don't even notice that I'm visualizing what it's about.

I remember one of my teachers in high school telling us what it all meant about the American Boomer Generation, the meanings behind each line - even Altamont (which I'd been aware of from rock history books).

I enjoyed the clip illustrating the lyrics, even got a wee bit choked-up with Janis' photos.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 19:44 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: February 23, 2012 19:46

Mr. DJA, I am flattered you took the time to analyze and spell check my post. As to your line of reasoning in the comment "If you're over the age of 40 and have a brain, this song is most likely etched into it" seems to preordain that everyone should think alike on the the topic at hand and those who do not are somehow deemed less intelligent or stupid. There was no malice in what I wrote. I only wished to state the song is not etched in my brain and so thought the statement and specifically the phrase "everyone over 40" was inaccurate. (Thanks for spell check!) in this context. Why you should choose to question my intelligence and then end your post with the word "Peace" which you clearly did not mean it does not speak to my intelligence or sincerity, but yours.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 19:50 by ChrisM.

Date: February 23, 2012 19:49

Dude, relax. Jeez!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 23, 2012 19:51

James I am relaxed. I just take exception to some things..

Date: February 23, 2012 19:54

Then get over yourself.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: February 23, 2012 20:04

I've loved this song I first heard it and I'm 60.
I can still sing the song, so it must be etched into my mind.
A couple of years ago I was in Israel buying a cup of coffee.
I must have looked pretty American becuase the guy behind the counter said,
bye bye miss american pie.....I sang back drove my chevy to the levy...

I thought the video was great, perfect pics for each line.
There's only i pic I would have added, if I can find it

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 20:07

Damn Mr. Douglas, perhaps you should follow your advice and relax. It seems this topic has generated some heat. Some are having a bad day it seems.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2012 20:07

ChrisM

i can etch it in for you, chris...i've been etching to do that anyway....

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: February 23, 2012 20:09

With the jester on the sidelines in a cast

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 20:12 by marvpeck.

Date: February 23, 2012 20:13

Thanks Tod but I think I will bow out of this one. What started out as a minor disagreement over "American Pie" has degenerated into an American pie fight. Enough...

Date: February 23, 2012 20:21

Apologies to you, and pies withdrawn...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 23, 2012 20:30

Seems like a couple people got their hands clenched in fists of rage!

Date: February 23, 2012 20:31

This is a much better Don McLean song.

Date: February 23, 2012 20:33

vincent (starry, starry night) is a wonderful tune. song-crafting at its finest.

Date: February 23, 2012 20:36

Date: February 23, 2012 20:42

This was actually his second-biggest hit. Bigger than "Vincent."

Date: February 23, 2012 20:52

yeah - used to play that alot at the station i was working at at the time....but he couldn't touch roy's original....nobody could...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 23, 2012 21:56

ChrisM
Mr. DJA, I am flattered you took the time to analyze and spell check my post. As to your line of reasoning in the comment "If you're over the age of 40 and have a brain, this song is most likely etched into it" seems to preordain that everyone should think alike on the the topic at hand and those who do not are somehow deemed less intelligent or stupid. There was no malice in what I wrote. I only wished to state the song is not etched in my brain and so thought the statement and specifically the phrase "everyone over 40" was inaccurate. (Thanks for spell check!) in this context. Why you should choose to question my intelligence and then end your post with the word "Peace" which you clearly did not mean it does not speak to my intelligence or sincerity, but yours.

Chris -> All I did was read your post, find some humor in the fact that, while describing the failings of the original post, you failed to spell the word inaccurate accurately. It wasn't supposed to be a comment on your intelligence. It was supposed to be a joke. I knew I should have used "inaccurate" as opposed to "incorrect", maybe than the humor would have been more evident.

To quote from your reply, there was no malice in what I wrote. In fact, when I rewrote the original post, I was attempting to do so in such a way to leave room for people NOT to be included as "most likely" only implies a significant majority of people as opposed to all people over 40. At least to me it does.

I apologize for my failings at humor. In the future I will do my best to read and reply to your posts in only the most serious of manner and attempt to refrain from bringing any "fun or silliness" (as CindyC mentioned the other day) to the board at your expense.

Peace (yes, I DO mean it)
Mr DJA

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:07

That's the kind of music that inspires me to go out there and be somebody. !!!

Yeah woo hoo

Arrrrrrrrrrrrh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 22:10 by M4000D.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:38

Until McLean actually translates this song on video or in writing everything is just speculation and assumptions.

But I do love the song either way.

Date: February 23, 2012 22:42

The Sicilian
Until McLean actually translates this song on video or in writing everything is just speculation and assumptions.

But I do love the song either way.

Good point.

Although McLean dedicated the American Pie album to Buddy Holly, none of the musicians in the plane crash is identified by name in the song itself. When asked what "American Pie" meant, McLean replied, "It means I never have to work again." Later, he more seriously stated, "You will find many interpretations of my lyrics but none of them by me.... Sorry to leave you all on your own like this but long ago I realized that songwriters should make their statements and move on, maintaining a dignified silence."

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:43

A wonderful song, and it is without doubt etched in my brain..... As a 13 year old at the time, with 2 brothers and 5 sisters!.... This along with The Stones Brown Sugar, Slades Cos I luv you, assorted T Rex, Bowie, Osmonds, and shovel fulls of my brothers Ska collection were all played to death in my house.

What I would give to go back to those days!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home