Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Don McLean - The meaning of American Pie (video) - Stones inclusion
Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:17

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 23:27 by Stones62.

Date: February 23, 2012 23:19

As for me, I never have really liked the song but it is clear that many do. Perhaps I should give it another listen. It has been some years after all.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:23

mr_dja

Chris -> All I did was read your post, find some humor in the fact that, while describing the failings of the original post, you failed to spell the word inaccurate accurately. It wasn't supposed to be a comment on your intelligence. It was supposed to be a joke. I knew I should have used "inaccurate" as opposed to "incorrect", maybe than the humor would have been more evident.

To quote from your reply, there was no malice in what I wrote. In fact, when I rewrote the original post, I was attempting to do so in such a way to leave room for people NOT to be included as "most likely" only implies a significant majority of people as opposed to all people over 40. At least to me it does.

I apologize for my failings at humor. In the future I will do my best to read and reply to your posts in only the most serious of manner and attempt to refrain from bringing any "fun or silliness" (as CindyC mentioned the other day) to the board at your expense.

Peace (yes, I DO mean it)
Mr DJA

Hey Mr. DJA, thanks for your post. Please accept my apologies. There are some days when things that normally wouldn't get under your skin do and today was such a day for me. There is no failing in your humor but mine. It is not always easy to convey subtle nuances with the written word and today was not my day for it I reckon. You got me dead to rights for my spelling and my temporary anal rententiveness. Best to you and James D of the PowerGoats...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:26

Stones62
Accidental post!

LOL, that's not what it said originally

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 23, 2012 23:38

Probably not. I have not slept in 2 days and don't know whether I'm coming or going. What day is it anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 23:58 by Stones62.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:51

68to72 wrote:
"What I would give to go back to those days!"

68 to 71 is fine, but 1972 was totally another year.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 00:19

noughties wrote: 68 to 71 is fine, but 1972 was totally another year.

True enough 68 to 71 IS fine, but 68 to 72 is..... Well just better!

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: February 24, 2012 01:11

Very good, really enjoyed it, had heard bits and pieces of it, but great to see and hear it layed out for you, thanksdrinking smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 24, 2012 16:41

Chris,

Smiles all around. We all have our moments don't we? Hope you have a good weekend whenever yours gets started!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 19:00

ChrisM
Well I am over 40 and this is song is in no way etched into my brain. I appreciate that many like this song but many don't so inclusive statements such as "If you're over the age of 40, this song is etched into your brain....every single line." are innaccurate...

Well Chris, you must have been comotose in 1971 if you didn't know this song.....that's what I meant. Its of a certain time.
The great Lester Bangs considered this song the best summation of rock and roll.
I didn't mean you have to like it, but it is iconic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 19:05 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 24, 2012 23:58

Hi SG. I was very much aware of that song in 1971. It seemed to me that was all I heard on the radio late that year and well into 1972. I think what put me off was that I heard it too much for my tastes. Perhaps now is the time to revisit it...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 25, 2012 00:14

By the way, what is a "broncin' buck"??? Shouldn't it be a "buckin' bronc", which is short for bucking bronco? Is broncin' buck short for broncking bucko???

I mean, we are talking about the lyrics and what they mean, right?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 25, 2012 00:26

DaveG
By the way, what is a "broncin' buck"??? Shouldn't it be a "buckin' bronc", which is short for bucking bronco? Is broncin' buck short for broncking bucko???

I mean, we are talking about the lyrics and what they mean, right?

"Broncin' buck" rhymes with "pickup truck"...pretty sure that's the explanation.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 25, 2012 00:42

So if it's etched in my mind, does that make me more intelligent?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 25, 2012 00:48

""Broncin' buck" rhymes with "pickup truck"...pretty sure that's the explanation."

Right. There is just no such thing as a "teenage broncin' buck">

He could have said, "I was a teenage buckin' bronc, with a pink carnation and a truck that honks."grinning smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:31

The first one was definitely the best. 2nd one was forgetful. The American Wedding was also good but still not as good as the first one.

Posted by: charlie62 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:47

Arthur Onions and co did a great cover version check it out

Date: February 27, 2012 01:12

Know what? America`s "A Horse With No Name" from about the same time, passed me by completely. I simply can`t remember hearing it on the radio. But I do remember "American Pie"!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:24

I'm over 50 so I remember "American Pie" very well .....great tune although I didn't understand the lyrics back then, except that the Music died because of Buddy Holleyconfused smiley.

By the way noughties how could you missed America`s "A Horse With No Name"

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:27

DaveG
""Broncin' buck" rhymes with "pickup truck"...pretty sure that's the explanation."

Right. There is just no such thing as a "teenage broncin' buck">

He could have said, "I was a teenage buckin' bronc, with a pink carnation and a truck that honks."grinning smiley

There doesn't have to be such a thing. It's just wordplay that fits because it rhymes...that's all he was looking for. Lyricists do that on occasion.

Date: February 27, 2012 01:37

NICOS wrote:
"By the way noughties how could you missed America`s "A Horse With No Name""

-Yeah, I really wonder. Anyway, it was a revelation hearing it for the first time in the film "Hideous Kinky", starring Kate Winslett, in the 90s. On the top of it, they didn`t get allowance to include it in the soundtrack CD from the film, so I was searching like mad before finally figuring out.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: February 27, 2012 02:23

Was Canada once allowed an entry in the Miss America contest?

Did Mexico get one too?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 03:35

ChrisM
Hi SG. I was very much aware of that song in 1971. It seemed to me that was all I heard on the radio late that year and well into 1972. I think what put me off was that I heard it too much for my tastes. Perhaps now is the time to revisit it...

That's exactly what I meant. I was 6 in 1971, so maybe the burn-out factor wasn't there. To me, this song reminds of my childhood and that refrain, 'day that music died...' was so damn catchy. I just always loved the references.

And this:
'I was a lonely teenage broncin buck, with a pink carnation (reference to Marty Robbins' White Sport Coat) and a pick-up truck,
But I knew I was out of luck the day, the music died...

Its a great narrative of what rock and roll can mean to the individual - music was all the narrator had to believe in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 03:42 by stupidguy2.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home