Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones IMAX & Stones Films - disappointing?
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 22, 2012 07:15

After the Super Bowl, I recorded some HD network showing a Stones IMAX flick...I'm guessing it was from the early 90s but I'm not sure - can someone shine a light? I thought it sucked in terms of music quality. Yeah the concert footage QUALITY was good but they didn't play well...it seemed like it was all over the place - was that me being harsh or do you agree?

I'm finishing up Stanley Booth's "True Adventures..." BTW - thanks IORR fan who recommended it. I'm moving on to Chet Flippo's next (again thanks to the IORR fan who educated me...). My longwinded point is, I just finished the fist hour of Gimme Shelter and I'm disappointed with the Mayle's Bros film. After Booth's book, I had built up the footage of the '69 tour into something the film didn't possess...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 16:17 by memphiscats.

Re: Stones IMAX & Stones Films
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 22, 2012 07:21

AT THE MAX

[www.imdb.com]

Re: Stones IMAX & Stones Films - disappointing?
Date: February 22, 2012 16:19

Thanks. I have the title now - I thought it must've been the Steel Wheels tour.
It just left me cold. I didn't know if anyone had some insight or opinion they might want to share re the Stones films. I know I've already asked on an earlier thread. I hadn't seen Gimme Shelter 'til last night.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 19:52

Saw this film at the IMAX theatre in Bradford UK sometime in the early 90s(went a couple of times) I thought it was terrific - performance, picture quality and sound. Nice one to have on DVD.

Date: February 24, 2012 00:10

I guess being a film junkie first and a Stones fan second (ouch - no offense anyone), I create expectations of the Stones on film that no band, not even the Stones can live up to. That said, I really liked Shine a Light - more for the "off stage" moments. I loved Scorsese fretting about the set list & his mentioning "well, we don't want to set the Stones on fire" when talking about the lighting at the Beacon.

Stones in Exile remains my all time favorite rock-docu flick.

Regardless of my griping about their films, I love watching them play - no matter how much it doesn't live up to my fantasies...

Rock on Stones. I'm hoping I'll get to seem them live again to rip the flesh off the bones.smoking smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:19

At The Max was filmed in IMAX format and looked awesome seeing it in IMAX. Shine A Light was not that way and the IMAX experience wasn't to good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:53

nick
At The Max was filmed in IMAX format and looked awesome seeing it in IMAX. Shine A Light was not that way and the IMAX experience wasn't to good.

Yeah, between the visuals and the sound, it was quasi-like being at a show. I also enjoyed the At The Max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 05:45 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 20:22

treaclefingers
nick

Yeah, between the visuals and the sound, it was quasi-like being at a show. I also enjoyed the At The Max.

I was also blown away when I saw At The Max in IMAX format at The Beacon Theatre in NYC. Between the overwhelmingly huge visual presentation and an awesome, very LOUD, and perfectly balanced sound system, I left there feeling like I'd just been to an actual Stones concert..and had seats on the stage. Watching it again when it was released for home video was a bit of a let down. The performances were very good in my opinion, but a lot of things that could pass unoticed in the excitement of the IMAX experience became annoyingly evident. I saw many scenes where Mick's mouth did not match the vocals you hear, and many scenes where the guitarist's hands did not match the guitar playing that you hear. I later saw a short documentary on TV about how they made the film. The performance you hear is actually what they played but the director wanted "perfect" portrayals of the band in action. So where they didn't get a great shot of Mick singing a certain part or Keith playing a certain part, they re-shot certain scenes. They had the stage set up in some stadium, had the guys wear the same clothes, etc, and had the Stones pretend to do certain parts as a recording of the actual gig was played back. They showed Mick lip-synching to his own performance of certain segments, and there was a clip of Keith faking his intro to Satisfaction to give the director a better visual shot of the moment than had been originally filmed. The editing is pretty slipshod as it's obvious in spots that what you see doesn't match what you hear. The audible performance is the real thing but the numerous reshot moments are painfully obvious. I made a recording of the music and really enjoyed listening to it but it bothers me to hear Keith playing a classic riff or intro and seeing his hands do something different. They should have just let the original filming be with or without "perfect" shots of various things. I'm surprised they let the sloppy editing go by.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: March 2, 2012 20:45

I saw "Rolling Stones At The Max" (which was it's original theatrical title) at the IMAX theater in Vancouver, British Columbia and was amazed by the experience. I had been to many Stones concerts in the past and came away from the movie feeling as though I had been at an actual concert. The visual resolution of the IMAX picture is unlike any other plus the screen size (when viewed properly) exceeds one's peripheral vision-approximating the way our normal vision is experienced.
Sadly, the home video experience is not the same and is merely a very good memento of their 1990 Urban Jungle tour of Europe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 01:29 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:14

I also saw the Imax film at Bradford in the early 90's and was very impressed. It actually felt like you were on stage with them. Fantastic. I keep hoping they will show it again but it never seems to come around anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 22:55 by crumbling_mice.

Date: March 2, 2012 21:34

I'm going to re-watch it tonight. I must've been in an alternated state or something to not have appreciated it. I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm sure y'all will spend sleepless nights waiting for my next post on IMAX...ha. smoking smiley.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:39

crumbling_mice
I also saw the Imax film at Bradford in the early 90's and was very impressed. The opening, where it follows the band on stage and you see the curtain open from their perspective was breathtaking on that screen, it actually felt like you were on stage with them. Fantastic. I keep hoping they will show it again but it never seems to come around anymore.

I saw it there too, the 'Museum of cinemaphotography' June or July '92.if I remember rightly there was a pub called the Jacob's Well in a sunken roundabout just 100 yards or so from there.................superb, enjoyed every minute.........(the pub and the film)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 21:41 by EddieByword.

Date: March 2, 2012 22:22

That's right Eddie. I used to play in the music jams at the jacobs well until about a year ago. It's not as good a pub as it was and hardly gets anyone in it these days which is a shame as it used to be a grewat little pub...wooden floors etc and a good start to an evening before going to see the bands at St Georges Hall or the university. No doubt you'll remember the Vaults Bar as well !

Date: March 2, 2012 22:35

crumbling_mice
That's right Eddie. I used to play in the music jams at the jacobs well until about a year ago. It's not as good a pub as it was and hardly gets anyone in it these days which is a shame as it used to be a grewat little pub...wooden floors etc and a good start to an evening before going to see the bands at St Georges Hall or the university. No doubt you'll remember the Vaults Bar as well !

Not the Vaults Bar, what I do remember is it was/is a really old pub and just before going in having a sort of vision in my mind about what it was like before all the roads were built behind/around it....telling my wife and then going in the pub and seeing a big painting on the wall exactly as I'd just decribed outside........phew...that was a bit cosmic,,,,and the going to the IMAX.....I wasn't there long and then stayed at my wife's relatives in Horsforth in Leeds for the next few days before coming back to Wales....great long weekend .....drinking smiley

Date: March 2, 2012 22:42

Sorry mate..thought you must have been from around the Bradford area! The Stones actually turned up to the first night of the film being shown!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2012 22:58

I remember seeing AT THE MAX firts time and paying attetion to the solo of "Sympathy For The Devil", and thinking - wow, Keith got his Hendrix moment...

- Doxa

Date: March 2, 2012 23:14

crumbling_mice
Sorry mate..thought you must have been from around the Bradford area! The Stones actually turned up to the first night of the film being shown!

No, Swansea....Now that I didn't know....did you get to see or meet them ?.......(all I got was this lousy t-shirt - Liver than Live - which I've actually still got along with a few holes - mind you given the time and number of washes it was in fairness a pretty good t-shirt .....)....
It was an unlikely set of coincidences that we ended up there...my stepson's grandfather died and left him a set of drums...we got a phonecall saying if we wanted them we'd have to go and get them...pretty decent setup so made plans....then completly by chance I noticed an ad in a Q magazine which I didn't normally buy for the IMAX...I think it was the last weekend so that was it, off we went.............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 02:23 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2012 23:46

.... first time I saw Stones IMAX movie was a midnight showing
at Melbourne Imax theatre ... and they hadn't cleaned the theatre
from previous screening of some 3D fantasy film ... the place was knee-deep
in pop-corn ... complained when we came out and they gave us free tickets for another Stones screening

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: March 3, 2012 02:17

first saw the stones at the max when it was first run in toronto which required a taxi ride to get there. we were running late and as such the taxi driver gave us a ride to remember. he would easily have done well at any race car event. upon arrival we discovered that you had to have pre bought tickets. oh no what a let down. passing the usherette i happened to mutter that we had come all the way from australia to see the film ( not entirely true ) but to my good fortune on this ocassion there was a film crew from sydney doing a docu on the imax format.

before we knew it the doors opened and we were seated inside for a free screening. seems appropriate i guess that the good people of toronto would look after a stones fan, givin the stones love of toronto.

love the film, but learning that some of the footage was shot in a studio so as to give a better image of keith and his moves was disappointing. oh well movies nothing is as it seems.

stones at the max is currently running in melbourne aust at the moment

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 3, 2012 02:31

Saw it in IMAX theatre and it was Absolutely Fabulous.
Still like to watch the DVD on my home TV, but it will never give that impact again.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: March 3, 2012 03:12

Saw it in 1997 at Panasonic Imax Theater in Sydney. A turning point definitely. Up to that day, I was a classic rock, oldies, sixties and of course Stones fan, but that concert made me a Stones fan first and then the rest. On December that year I couldn't resist it anymore and flew to Miami to see them live.
I was so thrilled that even today when people ask me how many times I've seen the Stones I always answer: Miami 1997, Puerto Rico 2006 and well Sydney 1997 at the Imax Theater.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 3, 2012 03:38

Bound to be disappointing Cats unless you have an Imax home theater system. I of course would recommend the baddest ass 7.1 Home system you can afford.

Surround sound mixing is still in it's baby years and in the future, multiple speaker mixes will become a thing of real beauty and art.

Imagine in the middle of GRTEAT stones 7.1 mix , in the sweet spot or the middle of the mix. Each Stone panned to a different speaker around you. Insane! You are transported to being on the stage with them. Wanna hear more Keith, move over to his side, more Charlie, move back a little bit. The effect is overwhelming if done properly and in the right frame of mind. Yeah!

I first saw Star Wars in George Lucas's private screening theater called the Stag theater in Marin County CA. The guys were meticulous about tuning the surround effects in the mix and it changed me forever. Spoiled rotten I'd like to think. Hope the experience comes your way soon, IMAX is a good start. peace

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 3, 2012 07:16

A major letdown. Saw it in Stockholm at a IMAX theatre (and also a planetarium). Basically everything you watch there is mindblowing. But this wasn't. I would rather have watched a film about penguines or something. The IMAX format didn't add much to the performance. My true feeling was that it was a playback - there was no real live feeling to it at all. It was bad, bad, bad to paraphrase one of the songs in it. I brought a friend to this who wasn't a Stones fan. I thought this might convince him. Of course, it didn't...

Am I the only one that have noticed that almost every Stones big film project (filmed concerts) like LSTNT, SAL and At the Max have been so so (or bad rather). I much more prefer the PPV shows like Hampton, MSG and Madrid over these. It's as if they edit out the true live feeling when they "go big".

Date: March 3, 2012 07:50

Naturalust
Bound to be disappointing Cats unless you have an Imax home theater system. I of course would recommend the baddest ass 7.1 Home system you can afford.

Surround sound mixing is still in it's baby years and in the future, multiple speaker mixes will become a thing of real beauty and art.

Imagine in the middle of GRTEAT stones 7.1 mix , in the sweet spot or the middle of the mix. Each Stone panned to a different speaker around you. Insane! You are transported to being on the stage with them. Wanna hear more Keith, move over to his side, more Charlie, move back a little bit. The effect is overwhelming if done properly and in the right frame of mind. Yeah!

I first saw Star Wars in George Lucas's private screening theater called the Stag theater in Marin County CA. The guys were meticulous about tuning the surround effects in the mix and it changed me forever. Spoiled rotten I'd like to think. Hope the experience comes your way soon, IMAX is a good start. peace
Wow - what awesome experiences you've had!

I just finished my second viewing - I'll wait 'til tomorrow to express my thoughts - but for the most part - I was a bit underwhelmed. I guess I've been a bit spoiled too! Cheers.

Date: March 3, 2012 08:20

stones at the max is currently running in melbourne aust at the moment

Yeah I see that boynamedsue.....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2012 11:33

figured ya would be onta that rockman...

Date: March 3, 2012 11:39

.... One Plus One and Performance coming up at ACMI in month or so
...Will whack-up the session times etc when it gets a lil' closer ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2012 14:37

Rockman
.... One Plus One and Performance coming up at ACMI in month or so
...Will whack-up the session times etc when it gets a lil' closer ...

i should be on holidays if ya plan on goin maybe we could make a date of it and talk some shit for a bit...

talkin to mick fitz the other day very busy keepin up with ya emails..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 3, 2012 19:42

Rockman

Man, what a great picture of Keith and Mick. They look like little kids, overjoyed and blissed out, and together. Nice. peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home