Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lou Reed at 70
Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:21

March 2, 2012 marks Lou Reed's 70th birthday, a day many thought we'd never see.

As much as Keef, Lou was one of the rock stars most likely to die throughout the 70's. He even used to fake shooting up onstage during Heroin.

But he's been sober for 30-plus years and is apparently happily married to Laurie Anderson. His recent recorded output, however, is another story.

Re: OT: Lou Reed at 70
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:29

ab
March 2, 2012 marks Lou Reed's 70th birthday, a day many thought we'd never see.

As much as Keef, Lou was one of the rock stars most likely to die throughout the 70's. He even used to fake shooting up onstage during Heroin.

But he's been sober for 30-plus years and is apparently happily married to Laurie Anderson. His recent recorded output, however, is another story.

Happy Birthday to Lou. Unfortunately his recorded output has been sober and lacking the old intoxicating exhuberance for the best part of 30 years - with a few exceptions like New York and Magic and Loss.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:36

Happy Birthday Lou, anybody that can record with Metallica at age 70 ain't all bad.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:48

Silver Dagger
ab

Happy Birthday to Lou. Unfortunately his recorded output has been sober and lacking the old intoxicating exhuberance for the best part of 30 years - with a few exceptions like New York and Magic and Loss.

Lou Reed said this album was not for 17 year old girls. When I drove a taxi cab many years ago there was a 17 year old girl manning the phones who was missing her recently deceased grandfather dreadfully. I gave her a copy of this album, she said it stopped her crying..............what does Lou know ? I saw his show in Hammersmith '92 with 15 staples in my neck after a cancer op, Magic & Loss helped me through that too, such a careful album thumbs up..............

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:25

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:58

Gonna see him in Copenhagen this year. First time for me, but I've loved his music for a long time.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:49

I lost an Uncle and my Father 6 days later, cancer. Listened to Magic And Loss a lot. Wish I could meet Lou and thank him.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 23:49

What I've read of Lou Reed and seen of him in interviews reminds me of what Keith said about Chuck Berry, "He's the most charming cutn I've ever met." He was best with Velvet Underground but definitely primus inter pares in that band.

Date: March 3, 2012 00:19

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 3, 2012 03:50

This is a *really* good deal -- 8 disks for $30:

[www.popmarket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 04:01 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: March 3, 2012 04:30

This video still gives me nightmares.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 3, 2012 06:51

Their's nothing happening at all...not all

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: March 3, 2012 14:47

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: March 3, 2012 15:16

Gonna see him at "l'Olympia" in Paris next june.
This last tour is called : from VU to Lulu, hope he'll play a kind of best of.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 3, 2012 16:30

I went to see him live at Hammersmith Apollo in 1992: all he did was play Magic & Loss through, with 2 oldies as the encore.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 3, 2012 16:41

tomcasagranda
I went to see him live at Hammersmith Apollo in 1992: all he did was play Magic & Loss through, with 2 oldies as the encore.

You wre short changed that night then...I went to one of those. There was M & L complete, in order and then a track off Songs for Della 'A dream' and 6 "greatest hits" 'Dirty Blvd.', 'Sweet Jane', 'I'm waiting for the Man', 'Rock 'n' Roll', 'Satellite of Love' and 'Walk on the Wild Side'............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 16:42 by EddieByword.

Date: March 3, 2012 16:48

I met Lou with Laurie one time - and it was such a huge let-down; for me. He was always one of my biggest idols. And I realize people have to change, get older, don't owe me no coolness, but man...that's a cranky dude (pun intended)
I will never forget, I THINK it was here on this forum, where someone related a story from NYC in last few years. They were sitting in a cinema. And behind them was the bitchiest elderly couple going on and on about triflings; completely ruining the movie for everyone around. Lights went on, and it turned out to be Lou and Laurie.

Date: March 3, 2012 16:58

EddieByword
tomcasagranda

You wre short changed that night then...I went to one of those. There was M & L complete, in order and then a track off Songs for Della 'A dream' and 6 "greatest hits" 'Dirty Blvd.', 'Sweet Jane', 'I'm waiting for the Man', 'Rock 'n' Roll', 'Satellite of Love' and 'Walk on the Wild Side'............

The show I saw in 1992 at Radio City Music Hall consisted of a first set, in which he played Magic And Loss in its entirety, a second set, which consisted of a few songs from "Drella" and a few songs from "New York", and a four-song encore consisting of Walk On The Wild Side, "Satellite Of Love, "Sweet Jane", "Rock And Roll". For the two "Transformer" songs, he was joined by Little Jimmy Scott, as seen in this video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 17:04 by tatters.

Date: March 3, 2012 17:08

Palace Revolution 2000
I met Lou with Laurie one time - and it was such a huge let-down; for me. He was always one of my biggest idols. And I realize people have to change, get older, don't owe me no coolness, but man...that's a cranky dude (pun intended)
I will never forget, I THINK it was here on this forum, where someone related a story from NYC in last few years. They were sitting in a cinema. And behind them was the bitchiest elderly couple going on and on about triflings; completely ruining the movie for everyone around. Lights went on, and it turned out to be Lou and Laurie.

Here's my Lou Reed Story, that I posted a few years ago.

Re: OT:lou reed
Date: March 27, 2008 15:52

One more Lou Reed story and then I gotta go to work.

In December 1986 I was working at a publishing company in New York and one day one of the girls who worked there came over to my desk and said "Lou Reed is sitting in our lobby." I peeked around the corner and sure enough, Lou Reed WAS sitting in our lobby. He was by himself, looking exactly the way you would expect Lou Reed to look, right down to the black leather jacket. I had already been a huge fan of his for about five years at that point, beginning in 1981 when I was still in school, but this was the first time I'd ever seen him in person, and it was on MY turf!

Turns out Lou had an appointment to see the managing editor and the owner of the company. He was visiting different publishers, shopping around a manuscript for a book that was going to be called "Lou Reed's New York". It was going to be a book of short stories, "little vignettes" is how he described it, about life in the big city, because, after all, who would know more about that than Lou Reed, the ultimate New Yorker.

When the managing editor asked to see some samples of these "little vignettes", Lou informed him that he did not have anything to show him. What's more, Lou said, he had absolutely no intention of "auditioning" for us. Basically, he wanted us to buy the book sight unseen!

Needless to say, things didn't really work out. But everyone agreed that Lou was a very nice man. He even brought with him that day a box of free records for everyone who worked in the office to take home and enjoy. There were several copies of each of his three most recent studio albums, The Blue Mask, New Sensations, and Mistrial. All on horribly warped vinyl.

At one point during his visit, my friend came back over to my desk and said "If you want to talk to Lou, he just went into the men's room". I replied that I wasn't about to follow any man into a freakin' men's room no matter how much I admired his music. It took about 30 seconds for me to drop my cool New York attitude.

Lou and I had a brief conversation in the bathroom.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 18:35 by tatters.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 3, 2012 21:57

Palace Revolution 2000
I sat directly in front of Lou and Laurie during the screening of Berlin at the Toronto Film Festival a few years back. I swear I heard him snoring.

Date: March 3, 2012 21:58

Date: March 3, 2012 21:59

Date: March 3, 2012 22:06

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: March 3, 2012 22:12

tatters
Palace Revolution 2000

Here's my Lou Reed Story, that I posted a few years ago.

Re: OT:lou reed
Date: March 27, 2008 15:52

One more Lou Reed story and then I gotta go to work.

In December 1986 I was working at a publishing company in New York and one day one of the girls who worked there came over to my desk and said "Lou Reed is sitting in our lobby." I peeked around the corner and sure enough, Lou Reed WAS sitting in our lobby. He was by himself, looking exactly the way you would expect Lou Reed to look, right down to the black leather jacket. I had already been a huge fan of his for about five years at that point, beginning in 1981 when I was still in school, but this was the first time I'd ever seen him in person, and it was on MY turf!

Turns out Lou had an appointment to see the managing editor and the owner of the company. He was visiting different publishers, shopping around a manuscript for a book that was going to be called "Lou Reed's New York". It was going to be a book of short stories, "little vignettes" is how he described it, about life in the big city, because, after all, who would know more about that than Lou Reed, the ultimate New Yorker.

When the managing editor asked to see some samples of these "little vignettes", Lou informed him that he did not have anything to show him. What's more, Lou said, he had absolutely no intention of "auditioning" for us. Basically, he wanted us to buy the book sight unseen!

Needless to say, things didn't really work out. But everyone agreed that Lou was a very nice man. He even brought with him that day a box of free records for everyone who worked in the office to take home and enjoy. There were several copies of each of his three most recent studio albums, The Blue Mask, New Sensations, and Mistrial. All on horribly warped vinyl.

At one point during his visit, my friend came back over to my desk and said "If you want to talk to Lou, he just went into the men's room". I replied that I wasn't about to follow any man into a freakin' men's room no matter how much I admired his music. It took about 30 seconds for me to drop my cool New York attitude.

Lou and I had a brief conversation in the bathroom.

Some story you won't read in any Lou Reed biography, but a really nice story about "the fan and the man". This is one of a billions New York "little vignettes"! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Birthday to Lou!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home