Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick and Ronnie Van Zant @ Knebworth
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:18

This post claims a fight nearly happened.

[lynyrdskynyrddixie.com]

Any of y'all see or hear of this?

Stonesrule, were you there?

Re: Mick and Ronnie Van Zant @ Knebworth
Date: February 21, 2012 16:31

Sounds ridiculous. And the fan's re-telling of the story is even more ridiculous...

Date: February 21, 2012 16:33

Pretty cool story about Macca and Artimus Pyle.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:54

Good thing Ronnie held off...

Date: February 21, 2012 17:33

duke richardson
Good thing Ronnie held off...

Yeah, duke, Ronnie was well known as a real bad ass brawler (unlike, say, noted knife-puller Keith Richards) and a hot head.

Mick didn't need to rile Ronnie too much - especially if RVZ was drunk.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:52

Here's another short thread on the topic:

RvZ v MJ

FYI - Gene Odom was Skynyrd's security manager. He was also on board the plane on the band's fatal flight and survived the crash.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:15

Completely untrue.

Ronnie called me from England after that gig and he was as happy as I've ever heard him. He looked up to Mick Jagger. Knebworth was perhaps the highlight of Ronnie's career as far as he was concerned.

Gene Odom is often a dubious source. Don't believe that he was at Knebworth.

Date: February 21, 2012 19:16

Thanks, stonesrule, I knew you would have the facts.

You and I have discussed Gene before. He was not the source for this story though. Just some poster on the LS board.

Thanks as always! I really wish you'd share more with us about your days with Skynyrd, Elton, Jimi, etc. - Stoneswise and otherwise.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:44

I lucky enough to meet Ronnie VZ in the seventies when they played Sheffield...he seemed a really nice even tempered guy..and he'd sunk a few at the time.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 20:10

Elmo Lewis
Thanks, stonesrule, I knew you would have the facts.

You and I have discussed Gene before. He was not the source for this story though. Just some poster on the LS board.

Thanks as always! I really wish you'd share more with us about your days with Skynyrd, Elton, Jimi, etc. - Stoneswise and otherwise.

According to Gene: "Ronnie had been drinking and that tongue really was for Mick’s use, they had words but nothing came out of it."

Doesn't sound like the issue was a big deal.

Date: February 21, 2012 20:25

Yeah, I met Gene a couple of years ago. stonesrule knows him well.

Probably a big deal about nothing as RVZ was a Stones fan. Al Kooper was hoping to have an "American Rolling Stones" with LS. And, man, that original line-up (and the one with Steve Gaines) was smoking hot live.

Date: February 22, 2012 02:58

I stood in a dark parking lot in an industrial court in Doraville, Georgia.
I asked to hear rough mixes and to not be interrupted.

I had never been in a place like that by myself in the dark of night It didn't take me long to know what I thought.

RVZ was not too happy with Kooper, who had told me, "he'd found the Hell's Angels who could play..."

I saw they were just kids, afraid of "this lady-girl who MCA flew in to see and report back..."

They were'nt afraid of me for young. They were shocked that I knew music and they were terrified that they were not going to make it.

I told Kooper, "Don't bug them. They know their sound. I don't think that they know they're close to being a young American Rolling Stones."

Two days later, I stood in the office of the President of MCA in LA and told him "You've got the American Rolling Stones." I used that phrase only because it signified money." I wasn't talking about their sound. He told me they would have to prove it because there would be little marketing dollars. "Kooper and his manager are asking for too much."

I fought the executive tooth and nail, in a (if you'll excuse me) in a charming and fiery way. I pushed a "debut party in Atlanta through and got Lester Bangs to tell him Mr. President, "you've struck gold." MCA was hell to deal with but Skynyrd kept delivering.

And, yes, soon they were surrounded by so-called friends and enablers. By the time of the plane crash RVZ was not a drunk or a brawler. He understood he was part of an often ugly and uncaring business. He may have started out as a redneck but he ultimately was a class act. There are few people I have ever respected more.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: February 22, 2012 04:10

skynyrd should be lucky to have even been there
Mick says dont use the stage then dont use it !!!!!!!

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 04:24

funny,i heard that crackhead pyle once say,they blew the stones off the stage,i wonder what show he was at,or how stoned he was.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 22, 2012 05:03

The Stones performance was by many accounts below par yet LS's performance was smokin' hot.

Date: February 22, 2012 05:54

Mick DID NOT SAY "don't use the stage."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:04

stonesrule
I stood in a dark parking lot in an industrial court in Doraville, Georgia.
I asked to hear rough mixes and to not be interrupted.

I had never been in a place like that by myself in the dark of night It didn't take me long to know what I thought.

RVZ was not too happy with Kooper, who had told me, "he'd found the Hell's Angels who could play..."

I saw they were just kids, afraid of "this lady-girl who MCA flew in to see and report back..."

They were'nt afraid of me for young. They were shocked that I knew music and they were terrified that they were not going to make it.

I told Kooper, "Don't bug them. They know their sound. I don't think that they know they're close to being a young American Rolling Stones."

Two days later, I stood in the office of the President of MCA in LA and told him "You've got the American Rolling Stones." I used that phrase only because it signified money." I wasn't talking about their sound. He told me they would have to prove it because there would be little marketing dollars. "Kooper and his manager are asking for too much."

I fought the executive tooth and nail, in a (if you'll excuse me) in a charming and fiery way. I pushed a "debut party in Atlanta through and got Lester Bangs to tell him Mr. President, "you've struck gold." MCA was hell to deal with but Skynyrd kept delivering.

And, yes, soon they were surrounded by so-called friends and enablers. By the time of the plane crash RVZ was not a drunk or a brawler. He understood he was part of an often ugly and uncaring business. He may have started out as a redneck but he ultimately was a class act. There are few people I have ever respected more.

Thanks stonesrule, enjoyed the story. I have heard stories from Mr. Kooper and they don't ring as true as your fine words. LS had a great thing going musically and RVZ probably had it together more than most the folks around him. It was a generally unhealthy time in the business at large. peace

Date: February 22, 2012 15:31

Thanks, stonesrule, as usual!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 22, 2012 15:43

deadegad
The Stones performance was by many accounts below par yet LS's performance was smokin' hot.

Yes and still the Knebworth version of Hot Stuff is one of the best live moments ever captured on film and audio. They could have done Mocambo before Mocambo at Knebworth. Did Keith have trouble getting fixed before the show or what was it?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 22, 2012 15:45

Ok, it's not the best version of the song but still

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 15:46 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 22, 2012 16:43

this thread should set the story straight for the Skynyrd board....

they seem to be going on misinformation...

cool smiley

Date: February 22, 2012 16:46

duke richardson
this thread should set the story straight for the Skynyrd board....

they seem to be going on misinformation...

cool smiley

Maybe they could straighten us out about Mick and Ronnie's (Wood not RVZ )wigs. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-29 22:21 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 22, 2012 23:45

Knowing Mick and his tendencies around that time, he probably made a pass at him.

Date: February 29, 2012 22:24

Keep rockin'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 15:22 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:43

huge skynyrd fan,i was lucky enough to have seen the original band from front row a year before the crash.i've talked to a few fans who met them over the years and everyone and i mean everyone said ronnie was one of the nicest people they ever met.
the idea of him having having words with mick sounds like such bullshit.the stones were hanging out and didnt arrive onstage at knebworth until way after skynyrd so its doubtful that mick had any idea about what they did or didnt do onstage.

the story about them blowing the stones off the stage has been going around for years.they did play very well but its hard to blow someone off the stage when they go on 5 hours after you.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:34

i've never heard this before,but think the story is probably a case of making a mountian out of a mole hill. love both bands read once that RVZ was an experienced Boxer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 15:38 by ghostryder13.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 1, 2012 11:29

I can remember seeing the Stones at Wembly arena in 2003, they had The Darkness as the support band.

During their set the arena was only half full and it was hard work for The Darkness, the audience were not really paying attension then the lead singer stepped onto the catwalk, there was a low gasp from the audience and he jumped back on stage, I always found that quite amusing.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:21

Sheww.......here we go again with the "Skynyrd blew the Stones off the stage at Knebworth" business....

Getting "blown offstage" is not meant literally. Skynyrd didn't come out with a giant fan or TNT or whatever while the Stones were onstage and actually send them flying off the stage. If that happened, it would be a fact. But it's a figurative statement. Therefore, it's only one person's opinion. Artimus Pyle said Skynyrd blew the Stones offstage. That was his opinion. They were very good that day. The Stones were kind of sub-par by most accounts.

Then of course we usually have a few folks who think the Stones are really God in disguise and they shout that it's blasphemy and completely false that another band would or could ever have a better show than the Stones....

Nonetheless, thank you stonesrule for your insight. Always enjoy it.

Date: March 2, 2012 03:16

Don't believe Pyle was around for much of the Stones "set."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home