Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Undercover revisited
Date: February 21, 2012 12:40

So Goats Head and Dirty Work just got a workout on IORR; this in turn steers me towards an alternate album in the vicinity. Plus tomk had posted the interview w/ Kimsey. I had never heard him talking about that mix. Very interesting to say the least.
Undercover is the last 'real' Stones album. The last time we got strong, guitar driven tunes straight from the pen of the twins. And even if it wasn't actually like that, it still felt like it. It felt like the Stones. UC is one of the albums that I remember release day, and I remember what it was like to get the new Stones album; w/o having any idea what to expect. Today it has settled into it's place in Stones canon, we have seen all the reviews, and most of us have a formed opinion.
I want to say it was winter when it was released. It was not a sunny, cheerful record. I had just moved into a basement somewhere. "Feel on Baby" and "Tie You Up", title track are killer tracks. But not very happy. There was that red silk inside artwork; and I also recall seeing Leavell's name for the first time.
I picked up on the tongue in cheek violence throughout, but it really took the cover story in Musician magazine to drive that point home w/ me. But as far as violence goes, I have always seen it as Jagger hamming it up.
Then there's Sly and Robbie who are very upfront in the sound of this record. They leave their mark, but never dominate.

1/10 chart

Undercover - 9 (fro the album mix, and/or the stripped down tympani mix)
She Was Hot - 9 (beautiful chorus)
Tie You Up - 9 (hot, love the drum break "gonna really tie you up..")
Wanna Hold You - 6.5 (never really caught on with that one; it's also too long IMO)
Feel On Baby - 9 (incredible harp)
Too Much Blood - 9 (should bee a live staple, could take the place of "Shattered")
Pretty Beat Up - 7.5 (said this somewhere before, but the solo live version by Ron Wood is much better than the Stones version; more definition)
Too Tough - 7 (this one is often mentioned favorably in reviews, and I didn't get it; just recently have come to appreciate how tight it is)
All The Way Down - 9 (contender for my fave of album, Jagger owns it)
It Must Be Hell - 3 ( the only bust on the record; weak recycled riff, forced)

Is it the last real Stones record?

Re: Undercover revisited
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:51

I felt dissapointeds when it was released
But i enjoy a lot songs lake she was hot, tie you up (one of the best KR's works, rythm and solo), too tough excellent tune, excelelent riff, simple and rough, all the way down................
Maybe the last true album

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2012 13:24

Palace Revolution 2000

At least the end of an era. The way they sound in DIRTY WORK is so different in compared to this. Like I said in DIRTY WORK thread I think UNDERCOVER is basically the typical Pathe Marconi effort, the sound they started in SOME GIRLS rehearsals, just updated with some recent 'tricks', for example, Sly and Robbie thing. but I can't help they sound a it tired and forced throughout the record. A kind of same feel that I hear in IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL that also is a kind of end of an era album. They sound trying hard - especially in "Undercover of The Night" and "Too Much Blood" - but somehow I feel the lack of real inspiration. My guess is that this is Jagger's last try to use The Stones and their sound as his main vehicle of artistic expression. And I think with this album he discovered that the band just couldn't transform enough its sound or cope with the times so efficiently as before. I have the impression that Jagger was not salewise or artisticwise satisfied with the album, which at least gave one more reason to go solo, or try harder that option. He didn't believe anymore to the band.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 13:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 21, 2012 13:25

I love it from beginning to end. For me 'It Must Be Hell' somehow marks the transition to 'new era Stones'.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 21, 2012 13:28

It is the end of a trilogy: SG + ER + UC
Tattoo you is Metamorphosis part 2

If MJ thought that this album and the band wer subpar, his next step (she's the boss) was the worse thing that one could expect

Date: February 21, 2012 13:37

Undercover - 10 (Mick never reached this level again. Fantastic guitars!)
She Was Hot - 10 (Maybe the best melodic rocker they ever wrote)
Tie You Up - 10 (Keith's best solo on record. Great groove, great bridge)
Wanna Hold You - 7 (A bit repetitive, nice, nothing more)
Feel On Baby - 9 (A real chestnut, very different, great great groove)
Too Much Blood - 7 (Could have been fantastic, but way too long, imo)
Pretty Beat Up - 9 (The most groovy track ever, with the best sax solo ever. Mick!)
Too Tough - 8 (A good rocker, great chorus! Mick sounds old on the verses)
All The Way Down - 7 (A bit too tongue in cheek for me. Great chorus!)
It Must Be Hell - 6 (Recycled, but rocking. Nice instrumental bridge).

This album is imo better than most of the albums from the 70s. It sounds dated at times, yeah, but the songwriting and the sound really holds up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 13:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 21, 2012 13:45

Palace Revolution 2000
UC is one of the albums that I remember release day, and I remember what it was like to get the new Stones album; w/o having any idea what to expect.

I have a special place for UNDERCOVER in my heart. It is probbaly the most waited piece of music I have had in my life. Since I was hooked by TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER marked the first new Stones album for me. The thrill was awesome. I suppose it is not the same thing when listening first time albums that were released years ago, no matter how great they are. The thing to have a brandnew effort - in that zeitgeist and moment - is something I guess one can not learn or experience by 'history books'. You need to be there. I can only imagine what it was like in 'day one and two' smiling bouncing smiley) to get a brandnew LET IT BLEED or STICKY FINGERS, or listen the latest Stones single - "Get Off of My cloud", "Paint It Black" - in radio....

Yeah, after having survived from the thrill I was forced against my will to admit that I had not wittnessed another classic Rolling Stones album to born. UNDERCOVER was clearly a disappointment after the expectations arisen by TATTOO YOU. But still I believe I listened that album so much then that I think still today it is my most listened Stones album after TATTOO YOU.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 13:47 by Doxa.

Date: February 21, 2012 13:52

DandelionPowderman
This album is imo better than most of the albums from the 70s. .

That's quite strong statement. I demand names!

- Doxa

Date: February 21, 2012 14:06

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

LOL!

Only Sticky Fingers, Exile and SG are imo better. GHS, IORR, Metamorphosis, LYL and BAB fall short.

Of course, having the same history as you, with TY as my first album when I was 10, then UC (which didn't disappoint me at all), might cloud my judgement a bit. Only a bit, though winking smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:18

It was the first Stones album I bought when it came out - I was 12 at the time and I remember going into an independent record shop in my home town and buying the LP for about £5.45 or thereabouts. I agree it's the last proper Stones album - there are some really great tunes on UC. I love pretty much all of them (Wanna Hold You is probably the weakest). It felt exciting to hear it and I was not at all disappointed the way I was when DW came out - that's when I realised they were going down hill.

I agree with DP's comparisons except LYL and BAB which I think are better than UC. TY is the album I like the least of 1973-1983 period.

Date: February 21, 2012 14:21

Also - I remember that the UCotN video was banned from being shown on British TV! Thus maintaining their bad boy image cool smiley

Date: February 21, 2012 14:24

WeLoveYou
Also - I remember that the UCotN video was banned from being shown on British TV! Thus maintaining their bad boy image cool smiley

She Was Hot, too, if memory serves?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:35

Palace Revolution 2000
So Goats Head and Dirty Work just got a workout on IORR; this in turn steers me towards an alternate album in the vicinity. Plus tomk had posted the interview w/ Kimsey. I had never heard him talking about that mix. Very interesting to say the least.
Undercover is the last 'real' Stones album. The last time we got strong, guitar driven tunes straight from the pen of the twins. And even if it wasn't actually like that, it still felt like it. It felt like the Stones. UC is one of the albums that I remember release day, and I remember what it was like to get the new Stones album; w/o having any idea what to expect. Today it has settled into it's place in Stones canon, we have seen all the reviews, and most of us have a formed opinion.
I want to say it was winter when it was released. It was not a sunny, cheerful record. I had just moved into a basement somewhere. "Feel on Baby" and "Tie You Up", title track are killer tracks. But not very happy. There was that red silk inside artwork; and I also recall seeing Leavell's name for the first time.
I picked up on the tongue in cheek violence throughout, but it really took the cover story in Musician magazine to drive that point home w/ me. But as far as violence goes, I have always seen it as Jagger hamming it up.
Then there's Sly and Robbie who are very upfront in the sound of this record. They leave their mark, but never dominate.

1/10 chart

Wanna Hold You - 6.5 (never really caught on with that one; it's also too long IMO)
Too Much Blood - 9 (should bee a live staple, could take the place of "Shattered")
Pretty Beat Up - 7.5 (said this somewhere before, but the solo live version by Ron Wood is much better than the Stones version; more definition)
Too Tough - 7 (this one is often mentioned favorably in reviews, and I didn't get it; just recently have come to appreciate how tight it is)

Yes. After Undercover started the parody of themselves.

Date: February 21, 2012 14:37

KRiffhard
Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

I don't take SW as a parody, I find it rather good.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 21, 2012 14:43

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

I don't take SW as a parody, I find it rather good.

SW...Stones trying to sound like Stones with a few good songs and other very poor eye rolling smiley

Date: February 21, 2012 14:46

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveYou

She Was Hot, too, if memory serves?

I can't remember as I was quite young then. But I do remember a tv program where the director of the UCotN video was being interviewed and they said they can't show it as it's banned

Date: February 21, 2012 15:00

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

LOL!

Only Sticky Fingers, Exile and SG are imo better. GHS, IORR, Metamorphosis, LYL and BAB fall short.

Of course, having the same history as you, with TY as my first album when I was 10, then UC (which didn't disappoint me at all), might cloud my judgement a bit. Only a bit, though winking smiley

Well, I would rate only IORR to the same rank as UNDERCOVER, all the others being from slightly to clearly better (but this won't make UNDERCOVER any means a weak album; the compeition and the quality of the output is just so high!)

I need to admit that I am not quite sure when I actually finally concluded that UNDERCOVER was more a miss than a hit - took it a year, or two, or even three? Not sure. It is rather diffucult to 'rate' the latest effort, especially if one has put so much heart (and time to listen) in it. Probably by the time DIRTY WORK came to shops UNDERCOVER sounded a kind of dated flavor the month type of album. But in a long run, UNDERCOVER, of course, have survived much better than DIRTY WORK. Actually I started to appreciate UNDERCOVER again by the time of VOODOO LOUNGE. The groove, the sound, the band effort there sounded so strong and original compared to their latest attempts. By the time of album's heyday in 1983/84, the band's hotness, even though the songs weren't among their best, was somehow taken for granted. But a decade later one started to sound like 'shit, that is an unique natural resource that might have disappeared for good by now ". I think as the yaers go by, and due to their not-very-profilic output ever since its release, the merits of UNDERCOVER will be seen in better light. If it is the last REAL Rolling Stones album, as is suggested here, that is itself a huge merit.

On funny feature of UNDERCOVER is that it doesn't give much rest or easy options to the listeners: it is probably their most rocking album. Not much sugar and sweetness is offered. There is not any ballad, just one reggae jam to rest awhile. Not much catchy melody hooks to please the ear; probably the chorus of "She Was Hot" and Keith's Beatle-poppish "Wanna Hold You" being closest. The B-side is exact opposite to the b-side of TATTOO YOU: nothing but rockers. I wonder was that some kind of statement? "Now we just rock to the end of world?" For example, the wonderful "Think I'm Going Mad" didn't make the album. Listening the album is a breathening experience - now and then. No hostages!

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 15:14 by Doxa.

Date: February 21, 2012 15:14

Undercover always finds its way back to my turntable, cd-player or cellphone. That says it all winking smiley

I can easily rest to Feel On Baby, but Undercover is a rocking album indeed!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 15:16

KRiffhard
Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

I agree KRiffHard. This was the start of their slide. Albums after this had a great song here or there, but ll sound forced to me..

Undercover at least had some political commentary with the title track. A great basic rock-n-roll song by Keith in I Wanna Hold You. Too Much Blood had a great 'badness' to it. But the album also had some weak efforts with Too Tough, She Was Hot, Feel On Baby. But still loads better than where they went on Dirty Work. Dirty Work become the first Stones record that I thought was truly an embarrassment...how far they had diminished as a band. With Undercover, they were still vital.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:00

I think Steel Wheels is way better than Undercover. (Hey, I didn't bring up the comparison.)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:39

how many revisits are albums allowed on a monthly basis?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:53

I'm not going to say that this album is better than Tattoo You or Some Girls, simply that I like it better.

With that said, I have to go back to Exile to find an album I like better than Undercover.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 21, 2012 16:55

Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

Undercover is the worst album they ever did. I would rather listen to Bridgest to Babylon, Bigger Bang, Dirty Work, - you name it. Undercover is Crap. It´s not guitar driven - in fact, guitars are buried in the mix and the drums dont sound like real drums at all, no natural sound whatsoever, - drums sound like beats from a mickey mouse computere game. Nintendo drums. It dont feel like the Stones album at all - it feels like eighties radio friendly whimpy Jagger solo album. No balls. Violence is childish and stupid - and this record dont have a violent sound, it´s not aggressive like previous albums - listen to Gimme Shelter or Live With Me if you want violent sounds. I threw this album out the window like a frisbee when I first heard it.

It lacks energy. You want guitar driven music - how about punk rock bands. Compare. If you want guitar driven music, then surely every other Stones album has more guitars than this one. Guitar should be loud in the mix - and those keyboards, oh my god - horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 16:59 by seitan.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:06

seitan
Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

Undercover is the worst album they ever did. I would rather listen to Bridgest to Babylon, Bigger Bang, Dirty Work, - you name it. Undercover is Crap. It´s not guitar driven - in fact, guitars are buried in the mix and the drums dont sound like real drums at all, no natural sound whatsoever, - drums sound like beats from a mickey mouse computere game. Nintendo drums. It dont feel like the Stones album at all - it feels like eighties radio friendly whimpy Jagger solo album. No balls. Violence is childish and stupid - and this record dont have a violent sound, it´s not aggressive like previous albums - listen to Gimme Shelter or Live With Me if you want violent sounds. I threw this album out the window like a frisbee when I first heard it.

It lacks energy. You want guitar driven music - how about punk rock bands. Compare. If you want guitar driven music, then surely every other Stones album has more guitars than this one. Guitar should be loud in the mix - and those keyboards, oh my god - horrible.

This sounds like words pulled straight from the mouth of seitan...pure freakin' evil!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:38

The double shot of Undercover and Dirty Work destroyed the Stones' commercial appeal. They seemed out of creative ideas and in 1989 became the touring machine we've known for twenty years.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:45

Kinda the same let down from Tattoo You like Emotional Rescue after Some Girls.

Mostly good, but a little forced sounding. I'd love to hear the long version of "Too Much Blood" with (supposedly) Mick's drunken jokes.

Date: February 21, 2012 18:01

seitan
Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

It wasn't the Stones we knew and loved, but UC is way better than the albums that followed. UC is unlike any album before or since, it's really quite unique. Many albums released by other bands/artists in the 80s had that 80s sound, many of these were pretty bad. UC has a touch of 80s about it, yet it still sounds tough and relevant as a Stones album - their last truly genuine effort. And it does have a fair amount of guitars on, every song in fact.

Date: February 21, 2012 18:04

And just to add - there was a certain kind of menace to the UCotN track - I remember playing it through my dad's stereo system - the drums really thumped when that song came on. Scared me anyway! ;-) I think they mastered it as hot as conceivably possible within the limitations of vinyl.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:28

Palace Revolution 2000

1/10 chart

Apart from the fact that I think It Must Be Hell is pretty good, allthough weaker than the "highlights" of the album, obviously; I agree with everything here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 21:59 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:34

To me Under Cover is the last real Stones album. The rest are way too long, at least VL, BTB & ABB should've been one LP releases and DW and SW aren't just that good anyway.

My thoughts:
(3 = always listen, 2 = sometimes I skip this, 1 = listen very seldom, 0 = almost always skip this)

Under Cover = 3 (Just brilliant song with nice beat and guitars)
She Was Hot = 1 (nice rocker but still quite boring)
Tie You Up = 3 (Great tune)
Wanna Hold You = 1 (LP's shorter version is better. Not the best by Keith)
Feel On Baby = 1 (Sometimes I like it, sometimes not. Very odd tune)
Too Much Blood = 2 (This should've been shorter. Otherwise good one)
Pretty Beat Up = 3 (Great groovy tune)
Too Tough = 3 (Excellent rock song with a great riff)
All The Way Down = 1 (Filler song but still nice)
It Must Be Hell = 3 (I don't care if they recycled this riff. Works fine)

Rating 2.1 out of 3.0 and this is (at the moment) number 9th on my list of 22 Stones albums.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home