Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Would You Be Disappointed If Stones Fail To Release New Album In 2012?
Date: February 22, 2012 05:20

ManuelStones
Send It To me
The new cuts on 40 Licks were very good, imo.
I also like them. Stealing My Heart is my favourite. I consider it a really great tune.

You must work for the Stones because only THAT company would believe such a sully like that.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 22, 2012 05:26

I don't expect even one more NEW song from them, ever. It's all icing on the cake from here on out. Let 'em serve themselves, whatever that is.

Besides, the formula they have used for their entire careers (Record for 6 months, Release Album, Tour to support it) is not really necessary in this new age of music marketing. The Stones don't need NEW music to fill the venues and they don't have time in their lives to develop the unfinished music and ideas Mick and Keith both have already slated for the Stones development.

I imagine anything really new would be unremarkable because of lots of reasons:
1. The last few records have failed to impress
2. Keith and Mick don't hang together well enough to create new magic
3. They are not hungry enough to suffer the pain involved.
4. Their skills are somewhat waning.
5. Bill and Stu are missing.

If the new record sucked it would probably have more of a killing effect on the draw to their supporting tour. There is a risk they would go out with a wimper or at least a somewhat blemished reputation. I doubt MJ would take that risk.

Too many people expect the last record with the band all alive and playing to be a topper to their career. I have no such foolish dreams. LET THEM JUST HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS THEY CAN on stage and all that good Stones juju will leave everyone with a BIG smile and ringing ears. Maybe just a single great song celebrating the whole journey, penned on the road during the last tour. Then releases from the vaults for the next 20 years or so....peace

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 05:28

For me the Forty Licks contemporary "new" tunes don't have much to them and sound woefully inadequate when sequenced in with some of the best music of their career. I never go back to listen to them, as they sound like rejects from A Bigger Bang. Or more like Mick solo stuff. Keith's song, Losing My Touch is ok, but certainly not one of his better songs.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:04

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Cocaine Eyes
No, not at all. They've given us 50 years of tours and music and joy. They can do whatever they please at this point.

No they haven't.

Yes they have. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary on July 12, 2012 and nothing you do or say is going to change that. Stop acting like a fool. You are much smarter than you act.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:11

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
24FPS
How long have they been out of the studio now, 7 years? They were out from 1997 to 2002 and look at the crappy cuts that were thrown on 40 Licks. Everything they've done is unprecedented, so it's not impossible that they could pull together a decent album. Still, I'm beyond rushing to zip open a new Stones CD and nervously pushing play. Sadly it's more like 'I hope this doesn't suck.' If they do record an album they have to be aware that it could be the final one. That's a lot of pressure, or none at all if they don't care anymore.

The Some Girls bonus tracks have given me hope that the next album (provided there is one) is going to be something special.

Horrible and ignorant assumption. Must be something in the "coffee" up there.

Must be the gray skies because I don't drink coffee.

My point is that the Some Girls bonus tracks were far more joyful than the joyless A Bigger Bang. Don Was is going to see to it that the next album is more along the lines of the Some Girls bonus tracks. They have one more great album in them, maybe even two or three depending on how long they can remain healthy and among the living. It's just a matter of finding their stride again. I am hopeful.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 22, 2012 06:14

I agree, the Some Girls bonus disc could have been released as their "new" album, and it would have been hailed as their best since Tattoo You...it is fantastic and sounds wonderful.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:15

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
ManuelStones
Send It To me
The new cuts on 40 Licks were very good, imo.
I also like them. Stealing My Heart is my favourite. I consider it a really great tune.

You must work for the Stones because only THAT company would believe such a sully like that.

Anyone not liking Stealing My Heart could be considered heartless. I am certain you are not that. So what is the reason you don't like this very good song? Not great, but certainly very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 06:20 by stonescrow.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:18

whitem8
I agree, the Some Girls bonus disc could have been released as their "new" album, and it would have been hailed as their best since Tattoo You...it is fantastic and sounds wonderful.

Absolutely agree with you. It is the Stones album I have been dreaming for. I honestly like it better than the original.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:20

Naturalust
I don't expect even one more NEW song from them, ever. It's all icing on the cake from here on out. Let 'em serve themselves, whatever that is.

Besides, the formula they have used for their entire careers (Record for 6 months, Release Album, Tour to support it) is not really necessary in this new age of music marketing.

True.

Naturalust
The Stones don't need NEW music to fill the venues and they don't have time in their lives to develop the unfinished music and ideas Mick and Keith both have already slated for the Stones development.

True.

Naturalust

True - at least compared to past successes.

Naturalust

True.

Naturalust

They haven't "suffered" since the Allen Klein days.

Naturalust

Well EVERYONE knows that.

Naturalust

Really really old.

Naturalust
If the new record sucked it would probably have more of a killing effect on the draw to their supporting tour. There is a risk they would go out with a wimper or at least a somewhat blemished reputation. I doubt MJ would take that risk.

Nope. Bullshit. The 'if the new record sucked' bit. Look at A Bigger Bang and Forty Licks and the tours that they were about. Those albums had ZERO to do with those tours really, other than the Licks tour happened to have a lot of songs on the set list that were on the double hits album and the names of the tours. Huh. That's really difficult. Hell, the perfect title for the Stones' last album didn't hit number one. They (perhaps Virgin Records more so than Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie - well, I'm sure Ronnie thought it would) thought it might. But...no.

Oh well.

I'm sure they're not fussing over it now.

Naturalust
Too many people expect the last record with the band all alive and playing to be a topper to their career. I have no such foolish dreams. LET THEM JUST HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS THEY CAN on stage and all that good Stones juju will leave everyone with a BIG smile and ringing ears. Maybe just a single great song celebrating the whole journey, penned on the road during the last tour. Then releases from the vaults for the next 20 years or so....

It's not up to the fans to "let them just have as much fun as they can". That's all up to them. And they've shown interest in that one since the end of August of Twenty Hundred Seven - zero. There you go. ZERO.

And I don't know where you get this idea about 'too many people expect the last record with the band all alive and playing to be a topper'. The reality is almost no one has said such a thing with, gee, Bill Wyman, but that's as far as THAT goes. That shit ended eons ago. Done with. Some have hinted at such bullshit but really even they know it's bullshit. The Exile extras come out and suddenly there's "hope" they'll do something like that? The Some Girls extras come out and suddenly there's "hope" they'll do something like that?

HA!

Only fools think such things.

The Stones have already done such things as making people happy etc. They don't care to leave YOU or anyone else with a smile on your/their face. It's not about that. Besides, there's a HUGE back catalogue to enjoy. What's your problem?

Date: February 22, 2012 06:27

I think I'll go have a cold beer and listen to some Stones with all the other ignorant fools. Seeya. peace.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:32

Naturalust
I think I'll go have a cold beer and listen to some Stones with all the other ignorant fools. Seeya. peace.

Whistle and be happy fool. War.

Date: February 22, 2012 06:42

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Naturalust

Besides, the formula they have used for their entire careers (Record for 6 months, Release Album, Tour to support it) is not really necessary in this new age of music marketing.

True.

Naturalust
The Stones don't need NEW music to fill the venues and they don't have time in their lives to develop the unfinished music and ideas Mick and Keith both have already slated for the Stones development.

True.

Naturalust

True - at least compared to past successes.

Naturalust

True.

Naturalust

They haven't "suffered" since the Allen Klein days.

Naturalust

Well EVERYONE knows that.

Naturalust

Really really old.

Naturalust

Nope. Bullshit. The 'if the new record sucked' bit. Look at A Bigger Bang and Forty Licks and the tours that they were about. Those albums had ZERO to do with those tours really, other than the Licks tour happened to have a lot of songs on the set list that were on the double hits album and the names of the tours. Huh. That's really difficult. Hell, the perfect title for the Stones' last album didn't hit number one. They (perhaps Virgin Records more so than Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie - well, I'm sure Ronnie thought it would) thought it might. But...no.

Oh well.

I'm sure they're not fussing over it now.

Naturalust
Too many people expect the last record with the band all alive and playing to be a topper to their career. I have no such foolish dreams. LET THEM JUST HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS THEY CAN on stage and all that good Stones juju will leave everyone with a BIG smile and ringing ears. Maybe just a single great song celebrating the whole journey, penned on the road during the last tour. Then releases from the vaults for the next 20 years or so....

It's not up to the fans to "let them just have as much fun as they can". That's all up to them. And they've shown interest in that one since the end of August of Twenty Hundred Seven - zero. There you go. ZERO.

And I don't know where you get this idea about 'too many people expect the last record with the band all alive and playing to be a topper'. The reality is almost no one has said such a thing with, gee, Bill Wyman, but that's as far as THAT goes. That shit ended eons ago. Done with. Some have hinted at such bullshit but really even they know it's bullshit. The Exile extras come out and suddenly there's "hope" they'll do something like that? The Some Girls extras come out and suddenly there's "hope" they'll do something like that?

HA!

Only fools think such things.

The Stones have already done such things as making people happy etc. They don't care to leave YOU or anyone else with a smile on your/their face. It's not about that. Besides, there's a HUGE back catalogue to enjoy. What's your problem?

You are Dead Wrong about one thing: They DO want to leave YOU or anyone else with a smile on your/their face.

Date: February 22, 2012 09:30

Only problem I've got today is with you WLTPTB. Grow up and quit acting like an idiot punk. What rock did you crawl out from under? Go join the Taliban or something. There is a way to disagree with someone without making it personal or being so vile. I'll ask nicely just once , stay the @#$%& away from me and my posts please, your comments are not welcome. I doubt I'm alone in my opinion. Thanks. peace

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 22, 2012 15:02

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
24FPS
How long have they been out of the studio now, 7 years? They were out from 1997 to 2002 and look at the crappy cuts that were thrown on 40 Licks. Everything they've done is unprecedented, so it's not impossible that they could pull together a decent album. Still, I'm beyond rushing to zip open a new Stones CD and nervously pushing play. Sadly it's more like 'I hope this doesn't suck.' If they do record an album they have to be aware that it could be the final one. That's a lot of pressure, or none at all if they don't care anymore.

The Some Girls bonus tracks have given me hope that the next album (provided there is one) is going to be something special.

Horrible and ignorant assumption. Must be something in the "coffee" up there.

Must be the gray skies because I don't drink coffee.

My point is that the Some Girls bonus tracks were far more joyful than the joyless A Bigger Bang. Don Was is going to see to it that the next album is more along the lines of the Some Girls bonus tracks. They have one more great album in them, maybe even two or three depending on how long they can remain healthy and among the living. It's just a matter of finding their stride again. I am hopeful.

Take a minute and consider WHY the SG bonus tracks were "far more joyful" than the "joyless A Bigger Bang". Mmmmmh? Got it? It's because THE SONGS were better!
Don Was can't change the quality of their songwriting. No producer can do that. It's up to Mick and Keith to come up with decent song material.

If you seriously believe that it's up to Don Was to get one more great album from them, you probably believe that another Beggars, Bleed, Fingers or Exile is in them if only the producer is pushing hard enough!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 30, 2012 14:08

Well 2012 wasn't too bad of a Stones' year after all eh...even if we didn't get a new album!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:08

Yes, I'm disappointed that they aren't able to release a new one.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:31

Twas a great year for the Stones in my opinion. Loved the archive releases, Charlie Is My Darling, PPV, concerts, 2 new songs. The only thing I was rather disappointed in was Crossfire Hurricane. Overall, 2012 rocked as far as The Stones is concerned.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:51

...LMAO...Losing My Touch is a perfect song for KR...everything about it is terrific...raw, emotional, fragile, simple and brilliant...the man has an honest moment in a business that is arguable neck deep in artifice and yahoos are all upset about it...

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: December 30, 2012 16:06

That's exactly right. I don't see the point of a mediocre album. They've given us 50 years, anything at this point is a bonus. If it's going to be mediocre, don't bother.

now, if they challenge themselves a bit - for example, bring in Jack Black to produce, strip it down, write the songs together and not just by emails -then yeah, that could be good.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 30, 2012 16:50

I loved Doom and Gloom, I thought is had a real message no bs... Perhaps the recording is not as good as live but I still like the single. One More Shot starts off like SFM and I'd rather hear that. I don't think there's a full album in these guys unless the hire a producer that's more than a cheerleader. There's a reason why the special era is so special, Jimmy Miller had control that no other producer has been allowed. Don Was is just a grinning "yes man". Perhaps Nile Rodgers or T Bone Burnett..

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 30, 2012 20:59

Don Was certainly hasn't brought out the best in them, although maybe that's the best they could do, but he clearly worked well as a "go-between", the tale he tells on how he managed to get three Keith songs out of Mick for B2B is pretty interesting!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:15

they need another producer.

maybe rick rubin...

jeroen

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:21

corriecas
they need another producer.

and new songwriters and some new band members. otherwise, we're good to go...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:45

gotdablouse
Don Was certainly hasn't brought out the best in them, although maybe that's the best they could do, but he clearly worked well as a "go-between", the tale he tells on how he managed to get three Keith songs out of Mick for B2B is pretty interesting!

Yeah, too bad the songs were pretty worthless. Great story though.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:49

71Tele
gotdablouse

No, the songs on B2B were worth A LOT!
Shall we quote them? Go over them, again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 21:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:55

exhibit 1

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 30, 2012 22:34

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
gotdablouse

No, the songs on B2B were worth A LOT!
Shall we quote them? Go over them, again?

You like 'em. I don't. I can live with that.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 00:52

I wouldd enjoy a new release...Bigger Bang was surprisingly good.

SOUL

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 03:32

yes

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 31, 2012 06:15

gotdablouse
His remixes of the Exile outtakes were horrendous and didn't at all match the album. Between Keith and Mick there are always many tracks to sort through for each song, each one sometimes making a different record in the same real time. Someone like Jeff Lynn is an expert at sorting through stuff. No one was better at mixing and matching stuff like Jimmy Miller. He told me he assembled the entire classic Blind Faith album in a weekend from 30 master tape lifting performances from take to take the old fashioned way of sampling with multiple tape machines. The Stones and him were a great match, he could keep up with their drinking, deal with record companies plus play drums and percussion. Being a drummer never hurts a producer.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home