Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT - The Doors
Posted by: folke ()
Date: February 17, 2012 13:51

geoffc
It's surprising to me that when I talk to young guys about bands I saw back in the day, they are generally far more impressed that I saw the Doors once, than the fact I 've seen the Stones several times.....

If Mick Jagger died in 1971 and Morrison survived and The Doors toured for decades it would be the other way around.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 17, 2012 14:00

geoffc
It's surprising to me that when I talk to young guys about bands I saw back in the day, they are generally far more impressed that I saw the Doors once, than the fact I 've seen the Stones several times.....

That's because the Stones toured five years ago. Your young friends could have seen them if they wanted to. The Doors last tour with Jim was 42 years ago, long before your friends were even born. They're impressed at how far back you go. Graham Nash carries a laminated Buddy Holly ticket stub around in his wallet. That's impressive!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-17 14:10 by tatters.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 17, 2012 15:26

If we look at the recycling, remastering, reissuing programmes of the rock titans, the Doors have been recycled considerably since the late 70s.

Consider the Beatles: the red and blue albums from the 70s: the Beatles Ballads from 1980: the cds from 1986, albeit poorly remastered. The Anthology Series from 1995/96, 1, Love, and the remastered catalogue from 2010. There have been fair gaps, and nowhere near the Doors saturation point.

The Stones: in the late 80s poorly remastered cds: in the early 90s, the Virgin remasters. In 2003, or thereabouts, the ABKCO remasters in SACD format. 2009 the post Abkco material. 2010 EOMS with extra tracks, 2011 Some Girls with extra tracks. Again, considerable gaps. I can remember the horrendously mastered CBS cds of Exile, Goats, Only Rock n Roll, and feel that they have been judicious in providing us with the new remasters: the sole caveat being the Star Star censorship on GHS.

Led Zeppelin: Remasters circa 1990; the Beeb Sessions later: How The West Was Won, and finally The Song Remains The Same. Again, an almost civilised series of gaps before reissue.

I would think, also, that even Elvis Presley's estate remains civilised with his reissues, with Follow That Dream label being a separate arm for the completist fans. Yet, the curatorship of his catalogue has created some excellent reissues lately, i.e. the From Elvis In Memphis 1969 sessions, the On Stage/From Vegas 2cd legacy recordings, Elvis Is Back/Elvis for Everyone 2 cd legacy set, and, most recently, the Elvis Country/love Letters set. At least these reissues are done with dignity, and not saturation.

What amazes me is that for a group with a relatively short shelf life, only 8 studio albums and 1 live album ( 7 of which were with Morrison ) that they continue to be recycled, remastered, and reissued. Even last year I noticed that the 2 post-Morrison albums were reissued. Every year, from American Prayer back in 1978, there are endless recycling and reissuing of Doors material. There's no dignity in this prostitution, so maybe, for some time, there should be a halt drawn to their shameless barrel scraping.

Date: February 17, 2012 15:31

tomcasagranda

What amazes me is that for a group with a relatively short shelf life, only 8 studio albums and 1 live album ( 7 of which were with Morrison ) that they continue to be recycled, remastered, and reissued. Even last year I noticed that the 2 post-Morrison albums were reissued. Every year, from American Prayer back in 1978, there are endless recycling and reissuing of Doors material. There's no dignity in this prostitution, so maybe, for some time, there should be a halt drawn to their shameless barrel scraping.

well this post is incorrect. the doors have never released the 2 post morrison albums on cd. anything you see is bootlegs. also how is american prayer recycling?

Date: February 17, 2012 15:37

Other Voices/Full Circle [Import]
The Doors | Format: Audio CD
3.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews) Like (1)
Price: £38.96 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
Special Offers Available
In stock.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available.
Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
Want guaranteed delivery by 1pm Saturday, February 18? Order it in the next 1 hour and 22 minutes, and choose Express Delivery at checkout. See Details
4 new from £14.50

Date: February 17, 2012 15:38

Please see above; both reissued as a rather expensive 2 for 1.

Date: February 17, 2012 15:40

Jim dying young and then being endlessly recycled was all part of Ray's diabolical Master Plan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-17 15:42 by tatters.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 17, 2012 16:12

The Zep CDs were issued then reissued mastered by Jimmy Page a few years later with no extra tracks. Also Aerosmith back catalogue was issued twice in a few years.

You forgot The Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack and Let It Be Naked.

Date: February 17, 2012 17:06

Damn ! I do have them in my collection as well.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 17, 2012 17:35

The Doors had a truly wonderful musical legacy tarnished by that attempt
to revive itself as "The 21st Century Doors". EGAD. ( One soft expletive. )

I've always thought these guys should continue as a jazz ensemble without
a core vocalist. Too bad that divide can't be bridged.

Old vocals, new music:

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 17, 2012 17:44

tomcasagranda
Damn ! I do have them in my collection as well.

I think there is a lesson here for us all. You don't have to buy ever reissue or variation.

Only joking of course you have to otherwise you break the collectors law and we all know how serious that is.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: February 17, 2012 18:41

Ah, man. I felt a pang of jealousy when hbwriter was hangin' with Michelle Phillips, but this just flat out hurts. My life sucks!

P.S. Usually I don't concern myself with reissues too much, but I was VERY impressed with Bruce Botnick's work on the 40th anniversary editions. The mixes are damn near holographic and he removed the egregiously dated wavery sound effects from "Strange Days," which I hope everyone has had the chance to hear.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 19:00

tomcasagranda
If we look at the recycling, remastering, reissuing programmes of the rock titans, the Doors have been recycled considerably since the late 70s.

I don't know about the dignity aspect, but it does seem like there is a new Doors compilation album every time I turn around. There were 3 compilations released in 2008 alone. And over the past 12 years there have been 18 releases from the Bright Midnight archives.

And didn't they release their whole catalog, or at least part of it, a few years ago with added new overdubs and stuff? I swear I heard that somewhere.

Date: February 17, 2012 19:08

NoCode0680
And didn't they release their whole catalog, or at least part of it, a few years ago with added new overdubs and stuff? I swear I heard that somewhere.

Those were the 40th anniversary mixes (released in 2007) and as I said, they are very good. No new overdubs.

The Bright Midnight releases were of live shows. I thought they were great, but The Doors are in my all-time top 5 bands that I love unto death, so your mileage may vary.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 19:12

Claire_M
NoCode0680

Those were the 40th anniversary mixes (released in 2007) and as I said, they are very good. No new overdubs.

The Bright Midnight releases were of live shows. I thought they were great, but The Doors are in my all-time top 5 bands that I love unto death, so your mileage may vary.

Not all of the Bright Midnight releases are live shows, there are a couple that are interviews. I like some of those live releases, but some of them are better than others, and some of them are kind of redundant. I like Detroit, New York and Boston and Philly. I haven't heard Vancouver yet.

Date: February 17, 2012 19:35

Some of those live CDs are getting frigging pricey on the resales - the Aquarius shows are upwards of $40 - $60.

The Doors recently acquired audio and some photos of a very early (1966) show at the London Fog which I hope will be released.

Was also distressed to learn that Ray listened to - but declined to buy - a reel-to-reel tape of The Doors last show, from New Orleans, Dec. 12, 1970. Where they played "Riders On the Storm." [[i]choked sob[/i]] Live versions of this song are so rare that some claim they don't even exist. Ray! You're hurting people, man!

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: February 17, 2012 19:42

listening to the la woman alt mixes sounds real good

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 17, 2012 19:56

what always interested me is that it appeared that they were done as a touring band, even after LA WOman came out - that was sort of it to hear them tell it - how, or even if they were going to go on was up for grabs.

Date: February 17, 2012 21:38

Nocode,

You hit the nail on the head.

Every time you look around, there's another Doors reissue.

I would add even the Grateful Dead don't have such a posthumous reissue series.

There just seems that even the scrapings get reissued, or issued. For example, the last Doors I bought was a boxed set that contained Jimbo's drunken ramblings at the notorious Miami concert.

From 1967-71 there were only 6 albums, yet alternate takes of Jimbo farting, belching, pretending to be a blues man, etc are reissued as pseudo-historical curios.

Date: February 17, 2012 21:44

tomcasagranda
Other Voices/Full Circle [Import]
The Doors | Format: Audio CD
3.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews) Like (1)
Price: £38.96 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
Special Offers Available
In stock.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available.
Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
Want guaranteed delivery by 1pm Saturday, February 18? Order it in the next 1 hour and 22 minutes, and choose Express Delivery at checkout. See Details
4 new from £14.50

cool you found the import bootleg. the doors management has confirmed many times on the bands forum that these are unauthorized and more than likely mastered from vinyl versions of the albums because the band has the master tapes

Date: February 17, 2012 21:45

Well, these archival materials are not really intended for the casual fan - they're for Doors completists, who want to hear every note the band ever played. It wasn't a very lucrative strategy for Bright Midnight and that's why it folded up the tent, so to speak. It was good while it lasted though.

The Doors are clearly a polarizing sort of band - you either love them madly or you don't.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 22:27

great read thank you hbwriter

Date: February 17, 2012 22:51

Claire_M
Well, these archival materials are not really intended for the casual fan - they're for Doors completists, who want to hear every note the band ever played. It wasn't a very lucrative strategy for Bright Midnight and that's why it folded up the tent, so to speak. It was good while it lasted though.

The Doors are clearly a polarizing sort of band - you either love them madly or you don't.

what are you talking about? bright midnight did not fold. rhino records gave them a deal to distribute bright midnight

Date: February 17, 2012 23:14

I was referring to Bright Midnight Records ending/evolving into what is now Bright Midnight Archives (BMA) about 7 years ago.

Date: February 18, 2012 00:13

The thing is: I used to love them madly, but the end of it for me was that they no longer light my fire. The Forever Changing Elektra boxed set showcased far better artists on Elektra at the time.

I also think that, having listened to Love, and Paul Butterfield Blues Band, that the Doors cheated them of deserved success. Circa 1966, and Jim Morrison said that he wanted the Doors to be "As big as Love". Forever Changes got totally consumed by The Doors first album, yet Forever Changes was, at least in my opinion, a greater album. The Doors signed to Elektra Records as Butterfield and Love were on the label. Certainly, the Butterfield Blues Band were far better, musician-wise, than the Doors.

I think the fact is that the reissue thing kicked into overdrive, and, in my opinion, they should've left it to just the albums issued.

Date: February 18, 2012 00:18

Claire_M
I was referring to Bright Midnight Records ending/evolving into what is now Bright Midnight Archives (BMA) about 7 years ago.

yeah because rhino gave the doors a contract after the first few BMR sold so well.

Date: February 18, 2012 01:03

TheDailyBuzzherd
The Doors had a truly wonderful musical legacy tarnished by that attempt
to revive itself as "The 21st Century Doors". EGAD. ( One soft expletive. )

I saw the Doors of the 21st Century a couple times. It was an enjoyable curiosity, particularly the second time, the "Strange Days" festival, when they played a shorter, tighter set, and had Steppenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, and the Yardbirds on the same bill. I think a reunion tour in 1980, when that "No One Here Gets Out Alive" book came out, would have been huge. Even in 1991, when the Oliver Stone movie was released, a reunion tour would have been big. By 2003, or whenever they finally got round to it, it seemed like it was all a bit too little, too late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 01:04 by tatters.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 18, 2012 01:05

Touch me - what a great song!!

Date: February 18, 2012 01:11

tomcasagranda
The thing is: I used to love them madly, but the end of it for me was that they no longer light my fire.

I hear ya. When I was about 21, I was as fanatical about the Doors as just about anyone, but I have been gradually losing interest in them ever since. The Doors were a phase I went through, not a lifelong obsession like, for example, the Who.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 01:12 by tatters.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 18, 2012 01:24

tomcasagranda
I would add even the Grateful Dead don't have such a posthumous reissue series.

You.
Can't.
Be.
Serious.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home