Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The decline of music quality
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 12, 2012 18:02

What about Some Girls Deluxe? All you guys complainin' about not being able to listen to the new material, what about this release?

I personally think it is good, maybe 7 out of 10. A bit to much high end EQ'ing for the guitars. I like 'em better when the guitarts share the low mids with the vocals and they find a way to dance or weave without post production separation.

But who knows what Bob Clearmountain had to work with on the original tapes. I'm usually a bit fan of his work. He was a very nice gentleman the couple of times I've met and worked with him. As good as it gets for mixing final releases. Anyway Some Girls Deluxe It certainly has none of the typical digital compression issues you all are talking about here as far as I can tell. peace

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 12, 2012 18:19

you said weave. please.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 12, 2012 18:23

eh? You got kids too huh Tod? peace

Date: February 12, 2012 18:49

Naturalust

grown and gone away. thankfully.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 12, 2012 19:00

StonesTod
Naturalust

Do they still ask for money? (only kidding, of course)

Date: February 12, 2012 19:04

Chris Fountain
StonesTod
Naturalust

Do they still ask for money? (only kidding, of course)

no, i ask them.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 13, 2012 00:41

Naturalust
What about Some Girls Deluxe? All you guys complainin' about not being able to listen to the new material, what about this release?

I personally think it is good, maybe 7 out of 10. A bit to much high end EQ'ing for the guitars. I like 'em better when the guitarts share the low mids with the vocals and they find a way to dance or weave without post production separation.

But who knows what Bob Clearmountain had to work with on the original tapes. I'm usually a bit fan of his work. He was a very nice gentleman the couple of times I've met and worked with him. As good as it gets for mixing final releases. Anyway Some Girls Deluxe It certainly has none of the typical digital compression issues you all are talking about here as far as I can tell. peace

Some Girls deluxe is compressed and brickwalled to death like any current releases.
And it doesn't make these songs sound better. When I listen to the bonus disc I feel like I'm listening to the same song from start to finish. Songs are good (in my opinion) but again there's no variations or contrast. All songs are at the same level and sound the same. Really a shame when you think how good used to sound Stones albums.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 22, 2012 15:31

kowalski
Naturalust

Some Girls deluxe is compressed and brickwalled to death like any current releases.
And it doesn't make these songs sound better. When I listen to the bonus disc I feel like I'm listening to the same song from start to finish. Songs are good (in my opinion) but again there's no variations or contrast. All songs are at the same level and sound the same. Really a shame when you think how good used to sound Stones albums.

Kowalski is spot on, the same is true of the Texas '78 CD just released and Hampton from Stonesarchive..all the recent Stones releases including ABB. It's a real shame because it makes the music so unpleasant to listen to. When I heard Hampton it reminded me of SAL because of the mastering.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 22, 2012 16:39

My biggest fear is that, in this digital age, folks have almost forgotten what music should sound like.

Date: February 22, 2012 16:53

Spud
My biggest fear is that, in this digital age, folks have almost forgotten what music should sound like.

the clicks and pops and stuff like that. you know those can be digitally reproduced and/or artificially injected into digital recordings.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 22, 2012 16:54

As with any chart (stocks, or otherwise) there was an uptick last night and at the White house no less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 16:54 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 22, 2012 17:58

I see people listening to music all the time through those little iPod headphones and it occurs to me that they are missing tremendous dynamic range, as well as missing out on the contemplative experience of listening to an album as a complete work. Music listening is as compartmentalized as all their other activities and done in combination with working out, walking across the street, etc. Jumping from song to song instead of hearing an artist's intent in an album. But hey, that's what the kids dig today, what are you gonna do?

Date: February 22, 2012 18:04

71Tele
I see people listening to music all the time through those little iPod headphones and it occurs to me that they are missing tremendous dynamic range, as well as missing out on the contemplative experience of listening to an album as a complete work. Music listening is as compartmentalized as all their other activities and done in combination with working out, walking across the street, etc. Jumping from song to song instead of hearing an artist's intent in an album. But hey, that's what the kids dig today, what are you gonna do?

what do you do when you feel like listening to music while walking across the street? you drag your entire 5.1 system behind you or something?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 22, 2012 22:39

StonesTod
71Tele

what do you do when you feel like listening to music while walking across the street? you drag your entire 5.1 system behind you or something?

Ghetto blaster, Tod!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:40

I recently bought a new bluray player so I could enjoy listening to DVD-A and SACD through HDMI and I have to say I am STUNNED by how wonderful most of them sound!There's a group of fans who upconvert nearly anything to DVD-A using mostly Japanese vinyl as their source, I'm going crazy downloading DVD-A a SACD files from various torrent sites. Here's the Amazon review of the player I bought that has brought this magic into my life:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: February 26, 2012 23:56

jamesfdouglas
mtaylor
Rockman
He's talking strictly about the quality of the post-production - the mastering and format, the delivery, not if bands suck.

.....exactly
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up exactly

Alright alight ALRIGHT!!!

Oh the shame, how my quote was taken from me and has been bantered about. That Rockman sure is sly. It's like Perry Farrell's Lollapalooza to Ian Astbury's Gathering Of The Tribes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 23:56 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 27, 2012 07:58

.....Oh the shame, how my quote was taken from me and has been bantered about. That Rockman sure is sly.

Easy-easy there curly .... I can't stand those quote-boxes so I took
what you wrote - highlighted it and agreed with it because it was spot on ....

Then all those other cowboys jumped on it slapped it in
those kiddy qoute boxes and your name got lost in the dust ....

I can be a sly-bitch but I wasn't this time ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:09

Mr.D
I recently bought a new bluray player so I could enjoy listening to DVD-A and SACD through HDMI and I have to say I am STUNNED by how wonderful most of them sound!There's a group of fans who upconvert nearly anything to DVD-A using mostly Japanese vinyl as their source, I'm going crazy downloading DVD-A a SACD files from various torrent sites. Here's the Amazon review of the player I bought that has brought this magic into my life:

[www.amazon.com]

I just wanted to out myself as a cheap bastard, and while I could spend $500 for a blu-ray player, to play my SACD's, I choose not to. With that disclosure, do you know if all Blu-ray players will play SACD's? I have no interest in Blu-Ray in and of itself...I see it as last year's technology, but I'd happily buy a cheap one to play my SACD's and hear what I've been missing!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:38

treaclefingers
Mr.D

[www.amazon.com]

I just wanted to out myself as a cheap bastard, and while I could spend $500 for a blu-ray player, to play my SACD's, I choose not to. With that disclosure, do you know if all Blu-ray players will play SACD's? I have no interest in Blu-Ray in and of itself...I see it as last year's technology, but I'd happily buy a cheap one to play my SACD's and hear what I've been missing!

I recommend to you that a stand-alone SACD player is the best.
However, this may be another option. smiling smiley
Sony BDP-S480
[www.techradar.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:46

StonesTod
there's no lack of quality music. neil's just a grumpy old man...

The music quality between 1982 -1988 was in the pop-world mediocre...drum-machines and other scary things all over every production...

of course there are exceptions...but very few...Prince did fine...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:46

The decline of seventies music

Date: February 27, 2012 15:31

Rockman
.....Oh the shame, how my quote was taken from me and has been bantered about. That Rockman sure is sly.

Easy-easy there curly .... I can't stand those quote-boxes so I took
what you wrote - highlighted it and agreed with it because it was spot on ....

Then all those other cowboys jumped on it slapped it in
those kiddy qoute boxes and your name got lost in the dust ....

I can be a sly-bitch but I wasn't this time ..........

I know. Just having fun with it.

Date: February 27, 2012 16:30

Come On
StonesTod
there's no lack of quality music. neil's just a grumpy old man...

The music quality between 1982 -1988 was in the pop-world mediocre...drum-machines and other scary things all over every production...

of course there are exceptions...but very few...Prince did fine...

REM was great...nothing wrong with U2 at that point either. Guns and Roses....ok I'm running out of examples...

Date: February 27, 2012 16:33

Toru A
treaclefingers
Mr.D

[www.amazon.com]

Sony BDP-S480
[www.techradar.com]

Thanks Toru, I think you've made a suggestion for me in this regard before. The only SACD's I have are the Rolling Stones 2002 catalogue, so I'm loath to spend a large amount on a format that hasn't really caught on. I was thinking that a Blu-Ray would at least give me a DVD and Blu-Ray play option as well.

Do you think there would there be any sound difference?

Date: February 27, 2012 16:41

Come On
The music quality between 1982 -1988 was in the pop-world mediocre....

my suggestion would be to not listen to that music, then. unless you're into mediocrity or something...

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: February 27, 2012 22:42

treaclefingers
REM was great...nothing wrong with U2 at that point either. Guns and Roses....ok I'm running out of examples...

It depends on what you like: The Smiths were a great band, IMO. The Church were having an amazing run starting in '88 with Starfish. XTC were outstanding for nearly all of the 80's. The Pixies had their brief, comet-like streak across the pop sky. We were on the verge of a wonderful but ultimately tragic last gasp of rock 'n roll, as alternative music flourished then flamed out, led by a mysterious contingent of bands from the northwest. The rest is misery.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 22:44

Come On
The music quality between 1982 -1988 was in the pop-world mediocre

You're forgetting about Metal - Priest, Maiden, AC/DC etc.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 27, 2012 22:45

Youngie
Come On
The music quality between 1982 -1988 was in the pop-world mediocre

You're forgetting about Metal - Priest, Maiden, AC/DC etc.

80's were no the best years for AC/DC ...

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 22:49

kowalski
80's were no the best years for AC/DC ...

Early '80's perhaps till Brian's voice went.

Otherwise it's true. But Priest & Maiden ruled. And they were hugely talented musicians. As were Van Halen, Dire Straits, Queen...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:11

treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
Mr.D

[www.amazon.com]

Sony BDP-S480
[www.techradar.com]

Thanks Toru, I think you've made a suggestion for me in this regard before. The only SACD's I have are the Rolling Stones 2002 catalogue, so I'm loath to spend a large amount on a format that hasn't really caught on. I was thinking that a Blu-Ray would at least give me a DVD and Blu-Ray play option as well.

Do you think there would there be any sound difference?

treaclefingers,
I can't judge sound difference by the one player because it depends on the whole hi-fi system.
Considering your needs I think universal players like this Sony BDP-S480 is cost-effective option. It's highly-regarded in our country.thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home